PlayStation Trains In Düren?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DeyKey, Dec 5, 2020.

1. DeyKey

DeyKey Member

Why are there so many trains in Düren on Schnellfahrstrecke Köln Aachen, which have no timetable service?

• Like Like x 2
  2. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Matt said in a livestream he accidentally left them in from testing I believe. Is it realistic to have ICE parked up at Düren if anyone knows the area? On Google Earth I saw a freight but couldn't tell exactly the position in relation to the parked trains on the game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They need to get rid of them as they snarl up performance and always load in all fuzzy. I’ve had one game crash there and all services stutter like mad on approaching Düren.

• Like Like x 2
  4. imaginox9

imaginox9 Active Member

Actually I planned that I will go tomorrow on the real Schnellfahrtstrecke Köln Aachen, so if I can go there (I just hope German customs let Belgian people in again, apparently they do) I'll go to Düren, have a look and answer your question once I'll be back.

• Like Like x 3
  5. voy_tech

voy_tech Member

Just today I went to try if these have timetable and was surprised they do not. Whats the point of them sitting in this place? As you mentioned, they're just waste of memory at this point.
    I say either give them purpose or replace them with some memory-friendly AI non-drivable version, if the goal is to make the place look busy.

• Like Like x 3
  6. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

The Freight train on the opposite side of the ICE and 442's is actually derailed and through the bufferstop. I tried to drive it a few months back..... Thats how I knoew it was derailed. Go take a look.

Hentis

7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Adam Any chance of removing these trains to aid the performance of the route?

• Like Like x 2
  8. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

Just tried this. You do indeed get the 'vehicle derailed' message as soon as you jump into the driver's seat.

• Like Like x 1
  9. imaginox9

imaginox9 Active Member

Ok so I went to Düren in real life earlier today, and there are a bunch of freight trains where the ICE's are in TSW2. Couldn't take a picture as it was already night time, so here is a DB BR423 at Düren instead to prove I was indeed there. IMG_20201206_164735.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  10. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

No they don't, I like them being there as it fills up the game world and doesn't make it feel as empty as some other routes are.

Just look at HRR, all sidings are empty.

• Like Like x 2
  11. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

Now if only their was a way of bypassing the red signals, you'd be able to drive them!

12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes the route would be emptier but you can’t say that what I’m describing is wrong. That is my experience. Every time I pass Düren the game hangs and stutters badly and two fuzzy white trains appear in the sidings, sometimes they stay fuzzy, sometimes not. I have experienced a game crash because of it. It may not do that on more powerful machines than my ordinary PS4 but it does on mine and there is an easy solution, to take away the misplaced trains. If it only happened occasionally then it wouldn’t be an issue but it is a persistent repeatable bug.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TrainSim-Adam

TrainSim-Adam Staff Member

Hiya,

Thanks for the heads up about the thread. I believe they are removed in the next update to Schnellfahrstrecke Köln.

With regard to populating areas of routes with rolling stock, if anyone has it, the Oakville Subdivision uses an alternative approach to this topic, with a less memory intensive method. The rail vehicles are static models rather than 'real' vehicles. They should still have collision, but the catch with this method is that cannot be moved. I think we only used them in Scenarios though.

[Update]I have been informed that we also used this method on the Long Island Railroad route to populate places like West Side Yard in New York. Again, scenarios only I believe.

We'd be interested in feedback about this approach and whether it is something worth rolling out to other routes to improve that empty feeling.

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  14. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I think this is a great idea! At least for Germany, there are so many signals that you will rarely be able to move a train you‘re not supposed to be moving. So why not replace trains you can‘t really move anyway with static models?
    To be fair, if you can access them (and use) them in any way (even if unintended), i think the real models should be used. It would be a shame for example, if the locos at the Cumberland turntable were replaced with static models.

• Like Like x 2
  15. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I would support using static models to fill in areas that are otherwise empty (if the memory usage isn't too high already). Düren could have a few freight wagons put in.

Static DABpbzfa and locomotives could be placed in Aachen-Rothe Erde Gbf. It's empty right now. Love to see more places filled in (not just German routes).

• Like Like x 3
  16. kennyjamesscott

I didn't say you are wrong ;)
    Just as I didn't say that I'm right. That doesn't make your description wrong nor my opinion right.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kennyjamesscott

Will they be replaced thou?

18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Okay, my apologies. I thought you were saying ‘no they don’t’ about my description of what the trains do, rather than ‘no they don’t’ about me saying DTG need to remove them.

19. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

I certainly think this might be something worth taking a look at actually!

I remember going through the scenarios on the LIRR and seeing different yards filled with M7's and Amtrak coach cars at Sunnyside yards...these same tracks would have been otherwise been empty in service mode. Seeing them populating the yards adds to the feeling that you're not the only one driving up and down the line, and I believe it'll give those massive empty yards some justice.

If all of those tracks aren't normally used in service mode, then I don't see the harm in adding these static models. Especially when they are less impactful on performance compared to the fully working models.

On the same topic, there are static passenger models at Paddington Station on the GWE. I believe this approach could be used in similar settings as well, for instance: at Munich HBF and other similar large stations which are otherwise empty in their current state.

I know I can't be the only one who shares this interest of using more static models in TSW. Perhaps a community poll can help paint a better picture?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  20. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

As there are plenty of examples of scenery only track, I don’t see any reason why we can’t have scenery only trains. They can look identical to the useable ones or they could be different depending on context. It would certainly add to the game as there’s nothing worse than empty everything. Of course there are areas of useable track that look empty too but even in large yards for instance, the players don’t need every track to be accessible if it means that they can be filled up and the yards look more used. If scenery trains could be identified differently on the map that would help avoid any potential confusion when players can’t get to wagons or make them move.

• Like Like x 1
  21. kennyjamesscott

Let me clarify: no they don't need to remove the trains.

:)

Looks like they will remove them anyway. With next update.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Thanks for looking into this Adam!
    I would really like to see more "trains" on sidings, especially the ones where we can't drive anyway (such as the depot at Köln or the siding at Düren), there should not be any issues if they cannot move (we cannot drive there anyway) and if it is just the shell (I guess they would count as scenery then?) that looks like the train I think that would be absolutely fine as well. If that would work to have more stuff "standing around" without using up too much memory that would be a great thing to implement!

• Like Like x 2
  23. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with scenery only trains. Not actual physical trains and how did matt forget to remove them after testing. Makes no sense IMO

24. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Debug trains that were left in...Matt mentioned this around the 15 minute mark on this video:

(I couldn't remember the exact video in my previous post)

• Like Like x 1
  25. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Matt was a very busy man in the run up to TSW2 releasing. He would have had a million things to do. He is only human.

• Like Like x 1
  26. tallboy7648

True

• Like Like x 1
  27. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

I also like the idea to use those statics trains and wagons on routes!.
    These happens on original MS Train simulator or Open Rails, and makes the routes better with more trains around even stopped.
    For example on MSTS static locomotives does not have cabs, or sound files,- same as passenger or freight cars, - so the size of them, and the impact on performance was very low.

TSW2 wants to simulate the "real thing", but you arrives to main terminal stations and there are only one or 2 trains, or even you arrive with your train and no passengers get out of it. That is not real

So hope this can be replied on TSW2!

• Like Like x 4
  28. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

All the trains have now been removed from the sidings around Düren. No more fuzzy ICE!

• Like Like x 4
  29. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

YES Finally :D

30. tallboy7648

Thank god

31. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Sad :( since it did not do any problems for me

32. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

lets have more static trains to make the routes look more real and lived in. ill be sad to see the trains at duren go even though there was a little stuttering, but not a problem for me

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I am sad that trains in the siding at Duran are gone, they never posed any issues for me.

• Like Like x 1
  34. grdaniel48

Same for me!
    I was happy when discovered them.

• Like Like x 1
  35. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

wasn't an issue for me either. Together with the complete lack of passengers apart from the usual 1 or 2, the route looks pretty dead again

• Like Like x 1
  36. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

this route is totally dead now. No static trains and no passengers. ive just done the ICE 18 brussels midi koln to aachen and not even 1 passengers stood on the stations as i passed. Worst of all not even 1 passenger on my train, this is disheartening. whats the point of this game if there is not passengers to transport to various destinations.

Bring back the passengers and most of all i want the static trains back in sidings to make to routes look as thought they are lived in

• Like Like x 3
  37. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t know about the passenger problem but the trains in Düren in question here were fully modelled trains that shouldn’t have been there and were causing issues for some players, including myself. Adam stated above that they can populate sidings with scenery only trains like they did in the Oakville route but I wouldn’t want them added in places where it would cause performance issues for any player. If they don’t cause issues then there could be many more added, in the empty yards as well as the sidings, making the routes look much more lived in. However, removing these trains, left there in error from testing, was the right thing to do.

• Like Like x 4
  38. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

It would definitely be worth a test. Using scenery is a very good idea. The station would not be so empty.

• Like Like x 1
  39. TinTin_57

Were they taken away from everyone,or just consoles? Just interested to know if we are all same here

40. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

They were taken away from the PC as well

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

talent 2 1.jpg rip

• Like Like x 3
  42. TinTin_57

ha ha ha

43. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Nice picture which shows quite drastically that AI-controlled services are not really simulated. These trains are moved in a miraculous way. XD

44. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

that was me haha

45. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

So you flipped the switch while the train was traversing it? Nice feat ^^
    I would have thought that these switches are not manually controlled.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  46. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Déjà vu intensifies

47. grdaniel48

Yes, I have noticed that there and on HMA too.
    So for one hand it is so strict to real world, but no the other hand, on really visible issues like the passengers on your own train or on stations not.
    What is strange about this specific point it is about removing those train, it was ICE and Talent does not "park" at those yards. Only some freight trains. Ok,.. then put some freight trains there.
    Please notice I have a regular PS4, and no really a problem about it on that area.
    I can understand other member would like to ride all the route smoothly. Me too.
    But if it is not possible with the available hardware I have, I enjoy it anyway.
    Of course I am not talking about the big frame issue on Munich HBF for all the route length!