Please Add Support For Dynamic Weather

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Nov 29, 2020.

1. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree. Just because console players make up the majority player base in tsw2 doesn't mean pc should be held back. Now that consoles are becoming as powerful as a pc, dtg should take the opportunity to add more features lile dynamic weather and improve the game

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

This is backwards though isn't it? TS is not held back by consoles but is graphically inferior to TSW which...is? You would think that the version where parity of experience is paramount would be the lower spec one and the PC only sim would be the all conquering look-what-you-will-get-in-5-years-time-console-players version. But no.

Really, the DTG game that should have had a version 2 and a hard evaluation about which content to carry forward should have been TS. TSW has an anchor around it's waist which is console parity, TS has an anchor around its waist which is due to its first release being in 2009...

• Like Like x 4
  3. tallboy7648

That is true

4. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Fun fact if you play the journey m39621-01 oakville - aldershot you will see lightings on a bright day on chapter 2 on the GP38-2

5. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Found a video of it

6. tallboy7648

Intresting. I didn't get the route because it was riddled with bugs when it came out

7. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

8. tallboy7648

The bolt looks so weird

9. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Looks like a big fat uncooked Bratwurst.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tallboy7648

HA HA that made me laugh

11. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Cannot disagree with this, at all

• Like Like x 2
  12. tallboy7648

I can't disagree with that either

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Something interesting which came out of today's LGV stream was that one of the scenarios features dynamic weather and it was revealed this tech is going to be investigated for Service Mode(s) as well.

Long overdue :)

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Yes there are a few interesting firsts on the LGV route, what with the voltages actually being checked and the dynamic weather and automated route creation. Looking forward to dynamic weather and pleased it does seem feasible to roll it out to the service/timetable mode as Matt outlined, before Sam reminded him it wasn't on the roadmap :D

• Like Like x 2
  15. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

dynamic weather is in the game since its beginning, not a new "feature" of the LGV route. You can already see in service mode, e.g., when you sometimes start with everything covered in snow and then the snow melts due to temperature.

16. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

No, the melting snow on the ground is not dynamic weather, however, I experienced dynamic weather while driving SPG (the rain comes and goes). It's two different things.

17. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Melting snow is the only weather pattern which has been there since the beginning (apart from the 1 scenario on SPG "Powering America Part 2"). I also do not think the melting snow is something which is intended and a side effect of how snow is implemented.

The gist of this thread and what everyone is wanting to see is 'proper' dynamic weather with completely randomised patterns such as starting any service in full sunshine and dynamically progressing to full cloudy / heavy rain and everything in between during the course of a single run (and having the option to turn it on natively from the weather setup screen)

The dynamic weather pattern we see on the LGV scenario "Bad Things" is hard coded into the scenario but Matt said they are going to bring patterns into service mode. Whether these patterns can be completely random rather than just a fixed "sunshine->Rain" or "rain->sunshine" remains to be seen. They also need to know how a dynamic weather affects the current variable adhesion systems so as to totally break services if it is turned on

Thnk of this as the 1st step into implementing "proper" dynamic weather

• Like Like x 1
  18. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I am not as optimistic as this is ‘old tech’ which just hasn’t been used in a very long time. Also, seeing as it’s a scenario, it means the “dynamic” weather is scripted, so it’ll always change at the same time, and possibly in the same places too.

One thing I was pleasantly surprised with is the new wetness feature on platforms. Looks very good and is ‘properly’ dynamic. So wetter in places compared to others.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Yep...it's definately scripted to work that way in that particular scenario, but Matt when on to elaborate on how they can bring it over to service mode. I don't know how it works (or will work); but they could program in defined patterns (ie sun->rain->sun, rain>sun>rain, rain>rain>sun etc etc) and when you enable dynamic weather it chooses one of those presets behind the scenes giving the impression that it is random...so it's more semi-random. Either way...that is still better than what we have now

20. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

The weather system we're using can do random choices, with random delays. Indeed the Bad Things scenarios has random timings so it won't always change in the same place, or at the same rate - though it will always change ultimately to the same thing, this was a very basic use of the weather system.

We can set up chains so from sunny we can have a 50/50 chance of clouding over or staying as is, then once it starts clouding, it can follow a sequence of becoming more cloudy, then maybe a 50/50 chance that it starts clearing up again or goe son to a light rain, then a 80/20/20 chance of say going to a storm, staying light rain, or clearing up etc etc. At each stage we can specify time ranges and it randomly chooses, we can choose random ranges for the transitions, and a number of paths with random choices.

In Powering America Pt 2 it used to (not sure if it still does, so i'll say 'used to') sometimes give you a dry run and sometimes a wet run, using that randomisation.

Snow clearing is not dynamic weather, that's just a side effect of the real time temperature simulation, dynamic weather is when it starts or stops raining or snowing, or the clouds change. That then has knock on to the other effects - i.e. 20 minutes into a scenario ,the clouds pull in and the snow starts, the world starts to turn white and you're in a winter wonderland, now the snow dies down and the clouds clear and you're left with a white world and clear skies - along with all the adhesion challenges all those changes have brought with them :)

It's a fun system, very powerful, and we're going to start exploring using it more going forwards.

• Like Like x 20
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  21. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Great info...thanks Matt. I look forward to seeing how it is implemented to other routes (hopefully) going forwards :) Assuming this will be a core feature and not per route

22. tallboy7648

I'm glad that dynamic weather is something that can come to the game sometime in the future. I hope it's implemented as a core feature and not based of a route

• Like Like x 1
  23. hightower

hightower Guest

Is this something that can only be used on the developer side, or do you envisage it being usable by players too? It’s really good to see progress in this area.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Dynamic weather looked pretty good in transition. Going to have a look at SPG powering America as that is also
    dynamic. BTW the wet platforms during the stream looked fantastic.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Yes they sure did!

26. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Good news Matt. Thanks for clarifications. I think this is a good approach and if it can be ported to service mode as well then even better. I like the rain/snow/thunderstorms, but not during 24h in a non stop pattern :D

Cheers

27. hightower

hightower Guest

Agreed. A very welcome return!

• Like Like x 2
  28. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Dynamic weather itself is part of the core and always has been.

How it's used in scenarios etc is up to that scenario.

Whether/when/if it comes to Service mode (which would likely be common to all) - that's something that's not been looked into yet, but I share your desire for it.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1