Tsw2 - Coal Loading With C40-8w - Shaw Mine

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by fr740385, Dec 10, 2020.

1. fr740385

fr740385 New Member

Hello!
    This part is not well documented.
    Please tell me the parameters to apply (speed and power) to allow the C40-8W to load the carriages correctly?
    Thanks

2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

About 2 mph, so around notch 1 or 2 depending on the train weight and motive power.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

The coal loading tutorial for SPG with the AC4400CW tells you that you should go around 2mph.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

According to my experience coal loading work well (100%) up to 1,7mph.
    In higher speed you load 99% and less, (92% at 2,7mph).
    Instruction is done when you load at least 75% so in gameplay you can pass requirement even in higher speed (guess up to 5mph).

5. padgett737

padgett737 New Member

I would like to add a comment about the level of coal needed in the hopper to count towards the goal. When they fixed N542-A to work, it changed the level of coal required in the goal to 100% full on each car. I know that the run I'm talking about is different than the original post was referring to, but I thought it was worth a mention.

6. fr740385

fr740385 New Member

Thank you for your feedback
    If I understood you correctly, the success of the mission depends on the filling rate of the hoppers. Ideally 100% obtained with a speed of 1.7 mph (+ - 2.7 km / h)
    On the AC4400CW there is an automatic cruise control but not on the C40-8W. So this must be regulated manually using the independent brake, which is not easy.
    Is there another more suitable way to achieve this?

7. Lamplight

Gentle throttle and dynamic break application worked just fine for me. I even followed the 10 sec rule and it worked fine so I‘d suggest that.

8. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

10 second rule?

9. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Not to be confused with the 5 sec rule for dropped food. (Sorry, early morning - couldn’t resist.....:) )

• Like Like x 3
  10. ht-57

ht-57 Member

@Antony
    IRL when going from throttle to dyno's your supposed to leave in "setup" mode for 10 sec to allow the circuitry to switch your traction motors to generators- IE become brakes.
    IRL dyno's wouldn't be used in this situation as the speed is to low.
    For myself in this situation an effective method is lite throttle when needed + tapping independent to cntrl speed as there is no delay in braking and you don't have to worry about wearing brake shoes.
    But I digress an in tsw2 land whatever gets the job done for you!

• Like Like x 1
  11. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

You can also use the independent brake (locomotive brake) in these cases to fine tune the speed as it´s very fast to apply/release. Can be used in combination with train brakes, with dynamic brake or alone. But remember it´s only applied on the locomotive so don´t force it to much, specially on heavy loaded trains, as it´s only intended to get a small reduction on the speed.

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  12. Lamplight

Thanks for explaining. That‘s exactly what I ment.
    Would you happen to know whether the independent brake would be used for this in real life? I thought it might be problematic in terms of slack which is why I didn‘t use it. I‘d obviously like to play as realistically as possible so this would be useful to know.

13. ht-57

ht-57 Member

Lamplight
    So I asked the question "If you do not have an engine that has "speed control", How do you control the speed while loading at a coal tipple?" to actual engineers and this is the response I received-
    -Air it up and shove that sucker (or pull, as the case may be). Or just set enough hand brakes to keep the speed down-

So I will be trying that for sure as you can set a few handbrakes for sure. But, don't recall if you can make a 3 or five pound set in the CW44-8 as
    "I thought" in TSW2 a minimum set on that unit was 10 pounds on the train brake. which may be a bit much to shove against, especially after it starts getting deep into the consist. I will have to go home and check that one out later and see how it works in the sim.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lamplight

Thanks for your dedication. It‘s always interesting to learn what‘s done in real life from real engineers.