Very Satisfied With Tgv Stream!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Anthony Pecoraro, Dec 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I was very impressed with the stream. I really like the effect while going at 320 kmh. I also am glad to see dynamic weather in scenarios making an appearance as well as the return of wet platforms. The TGV looks nice and overall it looks to be a polished DLC.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 15
  2. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Well everything butterflies and flowers, but the route is way to short timewise, I could pay double the price if we got more of the route and other liveries.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

The route is not short by any means Matt said it length was 105km.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

It may be the longest route to date...but remember we are also driving it with the fastest train to date. It takes around 35-40mins to drive it from one end to the other

• Like Like x 3
  5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I am fine with that, at least now they have proven that they can make longer routes. Hopefully future routes can be as long and with more to do.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

before they make routes of +100 miles they should have an 100% working save game function first
    i do not see myself playing for more then 90 minutes in one go

• Like Like x 15
  7. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Hence why I will not be buying this route at all. It's way too short for the speeds as demonstrated by the stream. If this were to be extended then dtg can have my debit card for this route

• Like Like x 1
  8. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

At least there more then 3 stops.I had heard before today there where only 3 stations.Looks like there really 8.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

There are only 3 stations though... although I'm not going to try and spell them haha

10. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

50 on 50  ̄ヘ ̄

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

The length is good enough imo. If you want longer services you can just do Avignon to Marseille and back in a single session and it's 60min+
    Looks like a good quality route so far with some nice new features.

• Like Like x 4
  12. hightower

hightower Guest

Mixed feelings again for me. Initially I’m thinking ‘that actually looks pretty good’. There are some nice touches and it’s good to see new ideas and techniques put into practice alongside the return of some sorely missed old ones (wet platforms look great). The scenery looks nice too, particularly (from what can be seen in the stream) the distant terrain, although it doesn’t look like the South of France at all. If you told me the route was set in Germany or the UK it would be hard to argue. Within a short while though all I can see are the same graphical problems shining out like a beacon.

Maybe it’s just me, but that trackside grass/foliage literally always appearing 20ft in front of the train is really distracting and looks worse and more obvious at high speed. Same with the shadow draw distance, as they drive through a cutting the shadow literally draws along the cutting wall in front of the train. Beyond the obvious end of shadow all there is is unrealistic bright light.

It’s also very visibly suffering from that same stuttering that’s been there since TSW2 was released.

Every DLC makes some sort of step forward in a certain area, but these same old issues just spoil this game and constantly hold it back. Will they ever get sorted out?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  13. Amtrak131

Amtrak131 Active Member

You can always edit the engine ini file to fix some of those problems like the popping of scenery

14. hightower

hightower Guest

Unfortunately not. You can do something about the popping trees granted, but nothing can be done about the lighting or the grass and shadow draw distances.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

r.MaterialQualityLevel=0 makes all the grass load up immidiately and prevents it from popping up right in front of you. It makes routes like Norther Trans-Pennine absolutely gorgeous.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, it comes with a large drawback. If you look at the ballast on the screenshot you'll see the 3D ballast no longer loads. So it's worth using on some routes but not on others.
    Considering the speeds on the LGV, I think I'll be freely using this setting as I won't notice the missing ballast anyway (hopefully)

• Like Like x 1
  16. hightower

hightower Guest

I’d dismissed that command for that very reason. Whilst it makes the grass look better, it reduces the quality of other things, the 3D ballast being the most noticeable.

Truth is, on ‘Ultra’ settings this should not be a choice we’re having to make, and we shouldn’t have to be fiddling with the .ini files in this way to make it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Anthony Pecoraro

Don't forget that they were using dev build.

• Like Like x 1
  18. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

always the same bugs as usual in the stream with electric lines flickering, stuttering, trees clipping and color changes.

I just cannot understand how a dev (who well sees and knows it) can be proud to show his work to his community with this kind of quality.

it would be similar if Apple send you an iphone with stripes on the screen. You can use the phone but your experience is strong impacted.

The line seems to be good and interesting + features of french lines but sorry these old problems ruins the hype for me.

I happy to see that they are able to change make better on information screens on stations docks. But please WHY they don't do that on old lines too ?? It is very 100 hours work ?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
  19. hightower

hightower Guest

I think we know that as far as those particular issues are concerned it doesn’t make any difference sadly.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Anthony Pecoraro

I mean the fps and stuttering.

• Like Like x 1
  21. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

as large amounts of stuttering are an issue on all tsw high speed routes, I can't see this one being any different

• Like Like x 3
  22. Anthony Pecoraro

And Matt was running it on his laptop.

23. tallboy7648

They make a step foward but also take a step back with the same issues in the game. You shouldn't have to change the ini files in the game to make the game better

• Like Like x 2
  24. tallboy7648

That may have been a dev build but I wouldn't be suprised if that made to final production. I recall watching the dev build of the Bakerloo Line and it had passengers on top of each other when leaving the train. When the game came out, it still has passengers on top of each other when leaving the train and some shooting to the sky when leaving the train like superman. Not to mention the various clipping issues in several underground stations so I wouldn't be suprised if not much was fixed in the final customer release of the route and stuttering especially on console on both of the german high speed routes. I wouldn't be suprised if the final customer build had stuttering issues on console like hma and ska

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  25. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

The DLC looked good but not my cup of tea. I have seen a few streams and in just about all of them there is that stuttering issue but the hosts never seem to be aware of it. Do they ever address it in the video's?

• Like Like x 1
  26. tallboy7648

They didn't talk about the stuttering in the livestream because it was a development build but I wouldn't be suprised if those issues made it to final production for consoles

• Like Like x 1
  27. maxipolo12

they are aware but when you speak about stuttering they reply : please can you tell us where - on which point of the map xD

They just fake to understand thats it

• Like Like x 3
  28. maxipolo12

is Koln aachen in development ? is the us line of new york in dev ? is the bakerloo line in dev ?

I don't think so
    stop giving fake excuse to these devs

• Like Like x 3
  29. tallboy7648

Those routes are not in development yet it still has stuttering issues on consoles mate. If there wasn't, I would not and others would not be mentioning it

• Like Like x 1
  30. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I really really liked the look of it! High-Speed is always a plus for me!

However, I noticed on one part of the video the distant scenery just ends, like an outline then nothing, if you look? Or maybe it’s just me?

31. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

That explains it... was wondering about all the complaints on stuttering, having not experienced to any great degree on any of the routes, but I am using it on a PC running off an SSD so it hasn’t been very noticeable. I watch the stream as well and again didn’t really notice stuttering to any great extent and as others stated, it was a dev build.

• Like Like x 1
  32. argyle_smurf

argyle_smurf Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the stream and I think it looks gorgeous. I can see how much work they've put in to developing the new systems, and tanking through the countryside at 200mph does look fun

BUT

I don't think I'll be buying this one til it's on sale. The best thing Munich Augsburg does is make the world feel alive. With only 52 timetable services, some of which are depot shunts, this world is going to feel so sterile. I completely understand why there's no local and regional services, it's the wrong kind of line and wouldn't be prototypical, but all the same that's why I'm out of this one. I can't see the value in going up and back a couple of times to admire the scenery and the speed, then putting it away in favour of a route with some activity on it.

This makes me sad. Hopefully there's a sale on it soon although if I was the devs I wouldn't do that for at least half a year.

• Like Like x 9
  33. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

The loco cab looks brilliant, but far too complicated for me, Even in a sale I will give this a miss,

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  34. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

It appears DTG will be doing a tutorial live stream on how to setup the cab, give it a watch, it may change your mind to buy it.

35. michael hooley

I do not want to know how to set up the cab, I just want to drive it!. I do not know what is difficult about including a button to set up the loco ready to drive?. then everyone is happy and it may convince me to buy it.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  36. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Really doesn't capture the south of France, buildings, lighting, ground all too dark and lush. If they fix it???? I may buy it, but the TS1 version outshines it in almost every other way.

• Like Like x 2
  37. LeadCatcher

I watched the stream and was pleased as well. Many have been screaming for longer routes and DTG has developed an auto-gen process that will allow such a request to be meet. They have also created and modeled two very complex safety systems which have not been implemented in this engine before and it appeared as they worked well. The train model was impressive and reworking effects like the wetness was spot on.

While the high speed routes are not my usual fair, I was happy to see DTG going out and creating tech that will allow such things as longer routes, more immersive weather affects and starting to use the changing weather that has been part of the engine since the beginning. For those reasons alone, I might pick-up the route just to encourage them to continue to push their development of tools that will give what the many are vocal about - longer routes.

I guess I see the bigger picture of what this represents and could not be less bothered that one section of catenary is not exactly correct. Just like the Isle of Wright was the first route attempted by a third party using the development environment. I supported those efforts in hopes of encouraging other third party developers to get involved and will do so with this route to encourage DTG to continue to innovate as well.

All simulators I use -Xplane, MSFS2030,, TS20XX, Run8 and TSW2, I view as works in progress because each year there are DLC or other fixes that push them forward.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  38. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

They are doing it. Just have a look at the roadmap. They're starting with LIRR and East Coastway and then slowly moving through the preserved routes.

• Like Like x 1
  39. tallboy7648

I may wait fo a sale as well but I don't think I'll buy it at all. It's too short for the speeds. The problem with all of the high speed routes is that they are too short for the speeds. When you pick the High Speed train like the ice3m on ska for example, a journey can be done in around 32 minutes which is too little game time using the high speed train and I don't think Sam understands that. Route length absolutely matters when making a high speed route for the high speed train. When you can't take the ice train in ska out of a depot and into service and can't go further, the route gets boring. And it's not like you can do a return journey either when using the ice in SKA. When you get to the end, a player like me and others want to go further but you can't which results in some people asking for an extension for the route. So I hope for the future high speed routes, we get either the full line high speed route or having the ability to use the high speed train for more than a hour when doing a service and with the new tech developed, one of the two seems possible. We can't continue to get high speed routes where we can only use the high speed train for 30-35 minute a to b runs because it gets done quickly and using the high speed train gets boring eventually

40. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

I especially liked the in-cab sound while driving and the horn is in my opinion the best sounding in the entire locomotive repertoire of this game. Truly some progression was made with this route, namely the achievement of longer routes and an attempt at dynamic weather. Given that this was long asked for by the community, it has to be congratulated. The represented train safety devices look positively complicated, so I'm looking forward to learn them.

Still, I'm unconvinced as to buy this on release day. Scenic depiction of the route leaves something to be desired, and as pointed out by others, the route will probably feel a little sterile with so little services. Task variety on this route at the moment seems very limited - just point A to point B drives and depot maneuvers, but I guess I can't really expect freight shunting on a line specifically built for high-speed passenger runs.

So yeah, having mixed feelings at the moment. Seeing some more gameplay will probably make my decision.

• Like Like x 3
  41. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If it doesn’t sell well it will start being discounted sooner rather than later.
    I’m sure there are a lot of other people who will be put off by how complicated the train looks. A big red START button would be a good addition for those people. An auto mode, where you don’t have to worry about swapping power at the right time either would also be good. A Trainz style model railway controller would cover all of this. I had to use that for steam trains when I had Trainz otherwise I couldn’t use them.

• Like Like x 2
  42. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

TS has, of course, "simple" and "expert" modes, so there must be a sizable audience for the "click and go" choice. I don't see why it couldn't be an option in TSW2, though I suspect it would involve a lot of new scripting; but I don't think most of us on the forum would choose it. Setting up the cab is an essential part of the game for me.

• Like Like x 4
  43. michael hooley

I respect your opinion Crosstie, for people who want that, it is a brilliant model of the cab, but i am at age when you say" now how did I do that" having only done it an hour before Lol.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  44. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Believe me, I'm right behind you age wise. I sometimes walk into a room and have to think for a moment why I'm there!:D. Learning the ins and outs and work arounds of TSW2 is my way of proving to myself that I'm not "losing it" just yet.

• Like Like x 1
  45. LeadCatcher

Right with you Mike -- but I like the challenge like Crosstie -- Now with the Pandemic Slow down on my consulting - trying to learn Germany just for fun... For Crosstie - just put Memory Insoles in my shoes to avoid the problem you describe above.

46. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

We all know the differences between the dev version and public version is minuscule. Things like stuttering, over head line flickering, scenery popping in, lighting and laughable shadow draw distance will be exactly the same in the final release.

Also, for whatever reason, TSW 2 has a stuttering issue, and it seems a lot more apparent than it was in TSW 1. This is visible in pretty much every TSW 2 livestream although DTG never acknowledge or talk about it.

• Like Like x 3
  47. tallboy7648

That is true that the game has a stuttering problem. I wouldn't be suprised it the final release would have stuttering issues for console

• Like Like x 2
  48. dhekelian

I feel the same, I'm astounded at people who say they cannot see it.

tallboy7648 , I think you can almost guarantee it will be on the consoles. As it will be a port and if they cannot address it on the PC then it will be carried over. I'm on the PC and the stuttering issue is a shame, the game would be a lot more fun without it.

• Like Like x 2
  49. LeadCatcher

50. dhekelian

LeadCatcher I find it more annoying than game breaking, I don't get it as much as some people do. I wish it was fixed for them really just as much for me.

• Like Like x 1