Csx/b&o Keystone Subdivision: Pittsburgh, Pa To Cumberland, Md

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Daniel Gibbs, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

I made a similar proposal a while back, but I thought I'd rewrite it.

I'd like to send a route proposal to DTG as well as the 3rd Party route builders. My route proposal is the CSX/B&O Keystone Subdivision, running approximately 153 miles from the big city of Pittsburgh, PA to the town of Cumberland, MD. The route climbs the Allegheny Mountains over the famous Sand Patch Grade. Cumberland, MD is also the home of one of CSX's major classification yards and locomotive shops. The route would also include two major coal mines; Shaw Mine and Rockwood Mine. Not to mention, the Sand Patch Grade is one of the steepest railroad grades in the eastern United States.

Originally owned and operated by the Pittsburgh & Connellsville Railroad, construction of the line from Pittsburgh, PA to Connellsville, PA began in 1847. It was completed and opened in 1857. It was later extended to Cumberland, MD, which was completed in 1871. Effective January 1, 1876, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad leased the P&C for 50 years, and the P&C was merged into the B&O in 1912.

A new bridge over the Youghiogheny River at Sinns opened in 1968, connecting the old P&C to the parallel Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad (which the B&O had trackage rights over to New Castle) on the opposite shore. This allowed B&O trains to bypass downtown McKeesport; the B&O line through McKeesport was closed in 1970. The P&LE is now CSX's Pittsburgh Subdivision, while the old B&O tracks in the Pittsburgh area are mostly abandoned or operated by short lines.

In summer 1985, the Chessie System (the B&O's holding company at the time) announced that it would sever its St. Louis line through Ohio, rerouting all through traffic over the Alleghenies at Sand Patch rather than along the older Mountain Subdivision.

As of today, the CSX Keystone Subdivision still sees plenty of freight traffic, including autoracks, intermodal, grain, coal, mixed freight, and locals. In addition to freight traffic, the Keystone Subdivision also sees Amtrak's Capitol Limited, which runs daily between Chicago and Washington, DC.

For those who like the challenge of hauling heavy freight trains up and down steep grades, I think the Keystone Subdivision would be a perfect route for for Train Simulator. Should the route be set in the modern era, I think it shall include the GE ES44AH, the GE ES40DC, the EMD SD70MAC (with flared radiators), and the EMD SD70M for heavy haul, and the EMD SD40-2 (with nose-mounted headlights) and EMD GP38-2 for virtually any purpose (such as heavy haul, locals, switching, etc). However, I wouldn't mind seeing this route set in other eras.

What era would you prefer this route to be set in?

Pre-1950's (Steam)
    1950's (Transition)
    1960's (Early Diesel)
    1970's to 1980's (Chessie System/Early CSX)
    1990's to Early 2000's
    Present Day

Cast your vote!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  2. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I'd say either steam era or the transition from steam to first gen diesel would be good time periods to have this route set in, but if I'm being completely honest, any time period would be nice with this one.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  3. Daniel Gibbs

Matter of fact, if it were to be set in the modern era, I think it would also be nice to add a separate B&O/Chessie Retro Pack as well!

• Like Like x 3
  4. steammaster4449

Not a bad idea mate. Not a bad idea at all.

5. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I like this idea. It sounds like an extended version of SPG in TSW2. It would be nice to see this in the B&O during the transition era. I would totally purchase such a route
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Daniel Gibbs

Same here, brother!

Matter of fact, I forgot to mention. If it were set in the modern era, I would request it to include the ES44AC's, ES40DC's, SD70MAC's, and SD70M's, because while those are actually available, they do require BNSF content, which is sadly not available worldwide anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  7. JGRudnick

Unless they were made as separate models, rather than reusing the marketplace add-ons.
    Personally, if it were modern era, I would choose the AC4400CW (which is shockingly has only recently become available in the game), SD70MACe (the rebuilt version w/o the flared radiators), ET44AH, ES44AH (maybe not with the route, but could have some scenarios made for the one already available), and SD40-3.

8. Daniel Gibbs

The CSX ES44AC and CSX SD70MAC that are currently available *ARE* TS Marketplace items and they require BNSF content.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JGRudnick

Yeah ik. I'm saying they could be made as brand new models based on the real life CSX models, instead of just reskins of the BNSF models.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daniel Gibbs

I also forgot to mention. I think for an even greater challenge, the locomotives shall come with Advanced Brakes. Just like the ones that come with the NS Coal District, Sherman Hill, and even Canadian Mountain Passes.

• Like Like x 2
  11. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Actually, I wouldn't want those advanced brakes, they're not exactly accurate, and really prove to be a pain to even work right.

12. steammaster4449

Perhaps Searchlight Simulations could be brought on to do the air brakes. Their AC4400CW sure seems like it has a realistic braking system, obviously staying in character with the rest of the locomotive.

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I think they require you to play in 64-bit. So there is a negative to any route DLC that DTG might produce by including such a train. If you can't run 64-bit, you can't play this.

14. steammaster4449

Hmm. Surely they could make a realistic air brake system that can work with both the 32-bit and 64-bit editions.

15. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

1990's is a time period we don't have yet for a US route!

16. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Raton Pass is set in the 90's as the route features Amtrak's P32-8BWH with the Pepsi Can Scheme (Delivered between 1990-1991) and freight set in the Santa Fe Super Fleet Era (Late 80's to 1995 with the merger to BNSF)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Daniel Gibbs

Raton Pass is actually set in the '90's, but of course, we don't have any CSX routes set in the '90's.

• Like Like x 1
  18. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

From Conrail to YN2 and Dash 8s, the 80-90s were a great period for the East, so I agree on slightly backdating it.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Also to an extent Donner pass could as be set in the 90's as Southern Pacific received their Dash 9s in the mid 90s, but enough about that.

• Like Like x 2