More High-speed Routes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by kosti.nuuja, Dec 11, 2020.

?
  1. German ICE route

57.9%
  2. French LGV route

40.4%
  3. Italian high-speed route

31.6%
  4. Spanish high-speed route

24.6%
  5. Dutch HSL zuid

22.8%
  6. Belgian HSL-4, 2 or 3

15.8%
  7. Chinese high-speed route

15.8%
  8. Japanese Shinkansen route

31.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

We need more long high-speed routed for TSW2. Most of the TSW2 route are short commuter routes with many stops. LGV Mediterranee and upcoming Southeastern high-speed are the only "real" high speed routes made for TSW2. SKA and HMA are not high-speed routes. They are normal routes with increased speed limits for ICE trains. I want to get more variety for high-speed trains. LGV from Avignon to Lyon would be interesting, or a German ICE route, Italian or Spanish high-speed route, Dutch HSL zuid etc. Most of the high-speed routes are running trough rural landscapes, so the AI technology that DTG used to build Marseille-Avignon, would be used on a long high-speed route development.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I personally would like to see a section of the Eurostar route.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

I agree, but unfortunately Eurostar doesn't license their rolling stock. Eurostar and Thalys will merge in 2021. It can make that eurostar routes would be possible for TSW2.

4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Hm, I guess I've been living under a rock. I'm thinking that we have plenty of high speed routes, particularly those ICE trains that you don't count. I'd vote for fewer high speed routes if that were an option.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Exactly. It is a real shame.

6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I vote for more german ice routes. In particular the Koln to Frankfurt High speed route which is 114 miles and I'm asking for the full line of the route and not part of the line. This would also act as a extension to the Koln-Aachen route so we can go from Aachen HBF to Frankfurt HBF. With the tech made to make the lgv route, I believe that route can me made. We simply can not continue to get high speed routes where if you pick the high speed train, it can be done in 30 minutes. The time to use a high speed train like the ice needs to be longer

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  7. eltt007

eltt007 Member

Marseille - Barcelona would be a good high-speed cross-border route and different equipment could be used by Renfe and Sncf.

• Like Like x 3
  8. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

All routes would be amazing, sadly all wouldn't be feasible from a business standpoint.

I believe another German high-speed route is inevitable because of the demand, close partnership with Deutsche Bahn, and the rich TSW 2 german collection (signals, safety systems, assets, rolling stock). Would be cheaper for DTG to develop a german/british or even french one now, other than an entirely new country.

We do miss a dedicated 300 kmh german high-speed route. As mentioned above the Schnellfahrstrecke Köln–Rhein/Main would link up with SKA. The technology to merge routes is definitely available, only the timetable would need some adjustments though. Would be amazing if this route actually gets developed!

Also, I would love to see the high-speed line between Erfurt, Halle, and Leipzig in TSW 2. Plus the route has ETCS and is the most viable (route lengthwise).

• Like Like x 2
  9. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

Personally I wouldn't drive high-speed routes much. Other than the experience of seeing what it's like to drive some of the very fast trains, I don't find driving even the ICE as interesting as most older trains. Of course, I'll buy them (because I buy most of DTG's stuff), so voted for trains I'm familiar with.

Why aren't there American high-speed trains?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Anything that includes the Thalys PBKA or TVG N2N so we can get more on SKA and HMA as well, or something italian (my country:) ) or the Shinkansen since it will be more fun to drive and will have more stops compared to the european HSRs

• Like Like x 1
  11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

There are a number of high speed rail projects in various stages in the United States and the North East Corridor has some sections that are high speed. But there isn't much appetite for high speed rail. Most people prefer to fly or drive the long distances between major cities. Amtrak would need an enormous increase in funding to expand its passenger routes to high speed which Congress and individual states are unlikely to provide. Traveling by train in the US can be a true adventure, sometimes taking days. You get to eat, sleep, meet people and see the beautiful landscape. Fastest speed is 79mph (127kph), which is plenty fast enough for me.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I would definitely like to see more ICE routes, especially if they are as active as HMA (with layers) and SKA. Neither of the current routes have the ICE services pushed up to 300km/h so that's what I'd like to see in the next German high-speed line. We also need the ICE 1, ICE 2 & ICE 4 to join TSW alongside the 3 & 3M.

Prior to playing TSW, I had absolutely no interest in anything outside of British traction but after playing some of the German routes and learning how to use PZB, LZB and SIFA, my interest in other nation's railways has skyrocketed. Now, I'm open to any new countries being added to the game as it gives me more to sink my teeth into. Can't wait to get my hands on the TGV on Thursday!

I voted for ALL of the options! :)

• Like Like x 5
  13. johnjohn190690

johnjohn190690 Active Member

I voted for ICE i would love an extension to Frankfurt from Köln only issue I would have is to my knowledge that only ICE services run on this route correct me please if I'm wrong. It wouldn't do Frankfurt am Main any justice it's one of the biggest stations in Germany. I'm all for more longer HS routes and with this new scenery tool hoping for more longer routes in the next couple of years.

14. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

America needs to catch up with Europe when it comes to high speed rail, the continent has plenty of room for 200 mph trains zooming through and making airports green with envy, because they no longer have customers on board. Can easily build an airport railway line there and back from the city and can easily invest in infrastructure dedicated to high speed rail. I mean look at California! They’re building a high speed line from L.A. at the moment and it’s looking very promising. The challenge is freight companies resisting the projects along with airlines and cars as well. American car culture has ruined the age of passenger rail travel ever since it became more convenient, which is a shame as the states are a land of highways and more highways. I mean america has got the money to build continental high speed rail, it’s just the case of convincing people to chill down of buying cars, resulting in more gridlock and traffic jams and more pollution...

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Sorry the CHSR is a joke, period.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lightspeed

17. Blacknred81

Where to begin?

-1st off the initial phase of the route is between Merced and Bakersfield, two points which are already served pretty well by Amtrak California's San Joaquin Train, not to mention they are not really high points of travel in California (Unlike say San Francisco, Sacramento, LA or San Diego)

-2nd The current state of the CHSR is way over budget and way behind schedule. Hell there is one overpass they have been working on for years, and have yet to complete due to contractor issues. (The local residents who use that road have been detouring around it for years, and are getting pretty sick of it)
    https://gvwire.com/2020/08/10/horri...in-contractors-botched-madera-bridge-project/
    It was supposed to be done in 2017, its almost 2021 and its not done.....
    https://www.buildhsr.com/projects/road_27_overcrossing_11565.aspx

I've been watching them build this damn thing for years, and still not 1 piece of rail has been laid, and the local residents have always been pretty unhappy about it. Not to mention there are other things this state could spend its money on......
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/politic...re-Here-s-how-high-speed-project-13621347.php

I rather of seen the Brightline West line done between Victorville and Las Vegas, but they seem to be on hold ATM due to funding issues.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  18. tallboy7648

The thing about high speed rail in the u.s is that since we have airplanes, there really is no need for building cross country high speed rail. One it's very expensive and Congress is riddled with a bunch of kids that can't seem to agree on anything these days and two it probably wouldn't be so profitable. Heck there are some state high speed rail projects on hold due to funding issues so saying the u.s should build high speed rail is easier said than done. Everywhere you go unless your in a major city in the u.s, you need a car. You can't get anywhere in the u.s without a car in rural america. Also the U.S is massive and trains can't go everywhere including high speed trains so you basically need a car to get around

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  19. tallboy7648

I mean if these high speed projects are just gonna keep getting delayed than the state should just scrap the project all together. It's just wasting time and taxpayer dollars

20. Lightspeed

Geez! Didn’t realise that Americans are so resistant to high speed travel! The only high speed route you guys have is Northeast Corridor and that is the only high speed line in the U.S.. China has high speed rail and that country is big, guess you have to settle for slow Amtrak trains and freight trains. Mostly freight, America is land of freight trains thundering over the plains after all!

Just a side note. Would nationalising America’s railways help?

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Most places don't have super long distance high speed rail like what would be needed to replace the long haul services. China does, but frankly that's because they have ulterior political motives for that system, ridership and profitability aren't among their key goals.
    Well considering that the issues holding these projects up are often government funding I'd say it's a firm no. If anything the best thing that could happen with these projects is some big company stepping up and using their money and resources to build a network. I believe this has happened with Brightline, and it seems like they've actually made quite a lot of progress, certainly way more than Cali's efforts have at any rate.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

Chinese + Japanese and Italian routes most interesting for me, imho (French actually too)

23. tallboy7648

Amtrak is the national passenger rail service of the united states of america. It is funded by congress although the republicans in congress and president trump have been defunding amtrak and not implementing more money into amtrak. which has caused it to get much worse over the years. With Joe Biden becoming president, he will improve Amtrak like he has done as vice president under obama. Northeast corridor isn't really high speed because you only get to the top speed on 125mph in small sections of the route. Usually trains are operating at 80mph because the infrastructure is so old. The only real reason why china has high speed rail is manly for political goals to make their country look good. Unless some private company steps up and makes their own high speed route, I don't see the u.s having any more high speed routes anytime soon

24. Lightspeed

I heard about Brightline. That’s a high speed link going from Florida isn’t that right? Although don’t freight trains also use parts of the line too?

• Like Like x 1
  25. tallboy7648

They call brightline "high speed" but the top speed of the route and trains is 79 Miles Per Hour so it's not a high speed route by any means unless you consider 79MPH high speed. Freight trains do use that route as well

26. Blacknred81

It was built along the FEC Corridor between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Max speed is only 79mph, but their planned expansions include segments with 110 and 125mph max speeds, and an average speed of 80mph.
    Screenshot_20201214-174622_Wikipedia.jpg

• Like Like x 1