Train Sim World 2 - Mastery Update

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Dec 16, 2020.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

[​IMG]

Mastery has arrived for Train Sim World 2! Beat the challenges, go the distance, and unlock exclusive rewards...

Read more about it here.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

"This is an exclusive set that will be available over the holiday season only."

So even if we unlock the snowman decals... we lose them at the end of the challenge? Do they disappear from the liveries we used them on? As the liveries still need to have them in the Livery Designer and have them editable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Monder The Snowman decals will still work in the Livery Designer after the 18th, but you won't be able to unlock it after that date.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  4. sgt.brimer

sgt.brimer New Member

Does that mean we have to complete everything by the 18th?

5. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

It will not take long ;)

6. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

no only the snowman one

• Like Like x 1
  7. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I randomly completed that winter event without even doing anything
    I didn't even play 1 service and I still got it. So lucky me :D IMG_20201215_140651.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

be happy instead of reporting it

• Like Like x 2
  9. F-Block

F-Block Well-Known Member

In the trailer at 0:35 you can see options for "Image" & "Logo" in the livery designer. Can anyone who already has the update tell us more about those?
    Edit: Disapointment

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. sgt.brimer

sgt.brimer New Member

Okay thanks.

11. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

It did the same for me as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

"Mastery is a brand-new feature"

I almost spilled my tea while reading this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the brand new mastery is exactly the same as in TSW2020 down to the UI itself. Only the tasks have been tuned down to the point where I cleared the tier 1 mastery on Köln - Aachen with one timetable service.
    I'm not sure the current implementation of the mastery system adds value to the product and I don't think the current objectives can be labeled as "Mastery". The old system was more grindy, but exactly the same.

My idea of mastery is something more than "Drive 5 miles". Even 1000 miles is just plainly... uninteresting. The objectives should be more along the lines of "Make 10 on-time passenger stops with no less than 1m distance from the stopping marker".

• Like Like x 12
  13. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

"Finish a german route with all safety systems on the whole time"

• Like Like x 13
  14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I agree that having to use safety systems, arriving on time and stopping at exactly the right place should all be mastery objectives. Anyone can drive 40km. But can everyone stop on time and can everyone use the safety systems correctly?

• Like Like x 2
  15. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I think stopping correctly and arriving on time should not be objectives given that not all stop markers and timetables are accurate and would require unrealistic driving to achieve such objectives, but I am all for the safety systems

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shuroop

Shuroop Member

It is not clear why this "spit" was given to us by the developers, it is really difficult to call it "skill" - to complete one scenario, drive 25 miles, load 20 cars ... Are you serious? what is the skill here? If there were many levels of these tests, gradually increasing the requirements, up to "drive 1000 miles", at least ... But here ... it's just ridiculous ... You are wasting precious development time on nonsense, instead of fixing numerous bugs ...

• Like Like x 3
  17. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

While not endorsing or demoting the Mastery situation, the people that developed it are those that design and maintain Dovetail Live and are not the scenery artist, model builders, signal engineers or route builders that work on the routes and DLC. . This was explained by DTG when the same argument arose when Mastery was introduced in TSW2020.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  18. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

I still don't understand what "mastery" is.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. nie Kolejarz#7489

nie Kolejarz#7489 Member

It doesn't work for me, because when I do a task on the list, nothing changes in the progress. (sorry for mistakes but I don't know English very well and I'm learning it)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  20. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

Please try to use english if you can so everyone can understand

• Like Like x 1
  21. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

Please try to use english if you can so everyone can understand

• Like Like x 3
  22. Costpap

Costpap Member

Indeed. When I saw the Mastery Tier 1 for SPG, I literally started laughing. Complete 1 scenario and load 20 wagons? I can do both within one very short scenario.

That argument doesn’t really make sense. If Dovetail was smarter, they wouldn’t have "Dovetail Live developers" and "TSW2 developers". Instead, they’d allow everyone to work on what they’re qualified for, and they can surely be qualified to do more than 1 thing. I’m certain that instead of getting a marketplace, we could have instead gotten better scenery on a route, which is, arguably, more important for a simulator in comparison to a half-assed reward system.

• Like Like x 2
  23. LeadCatcher

Well I am sure you have run a software development development company so I will bow to your greater knowledge than my past 40 something years involved with IT. Also the skill set needed to develop and build web applications is surely the same skill set needed to be a 3D artist or a skilled programmer so I can't imagine why DTG chose to hire people which specialized in such narrow fields.

Anyway - All I did was pass on the information as was presented by DTG on the last round of Mastery Debates - use that information as you will.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Costpap

Costpap Member

I have never ran a company which develops software, however, I have looked into how software development companies actually develop their software, and the method I mentioned above is one of the most efficient. If a developer is only ever tasked to deal with one thing while they have the knowledge to do 3, then that’s wasted time, skills, knowledge, resources, effort and money, amongst other things. Adding on, I’m not sure why they even decided to go for a marketplace to begin with. When was the last time you’ve seen a marketplace next to the London Underground, a DB line, or a freight line? Surely the resources that went into modeling the marketplace could have instead been given to, for example, improving scenery, something which TSW2 is actually lacking as a simulator.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I would suggest the skillset of a 3D artist vs somone who writes web applications is quite an interesting venn diagram, yes there will be overlap but also plenty that does not overlap.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Costpap

Costpap Member

Of course a frontend web developer does not correlate with a backend developer who works on the game itself, but surely the marketplace couldn’t have been just the work of a frontend developer who only maintains Dovetail Live and other websites operated by DTG. In fact, probably not even the entire mastery system is only on the frontend, since there needs to be a connection between the UI interface that the user can see and the database and/or other handling methods utilized in the backend.

• Like Like x 2
  27. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

With ZERO Zwangsbremsungen :D

• Like Like x 4
  28. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

That's also an option, but this one would require them to be 100 % perfect. Maybe then you could even put a specific service in selection with a lot of PZB action.

29. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

They should just look at the interesting services thread and then do a finish one of those without any Zwangsbremsungen although there are some PZB bugs so they would need to be sorted out first.

30. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree with you more!

Although I love TSW it has always been an irritation that if you try and do everything right you don't get rewarded.

i) Enabling systems maybe takes 45-60 seconds and do that in Timetable mode and your punctuality is in deficit.

ii) Action Points awarded for adherence to speed limit is based solely on Line Speed NOT maximum permitted of the loco/train or the Class of train.

And there are other things...

• Like Like x 1
  31. joemass#1098

joemass#1098 New Member

Mastery doesn't work for me either. I've done everything and nothing has changed. :(
    Are any issues on that? Pls fix it guys

• Like Like x 1
  32. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

it's what you call in other games. Progression.

• Like Like x 1
  33. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Tier 1 works for me and I get the icons. Tier 2 doesn't work - they're done in two routes but nothing in those routes and no "complete" marker. Do you have to do it for all four to get Tier 2?

34. LeadCatcher

Both tier one and tier 2 worked just fine in my case. As others have stated, sometimes Mastery was slow to update, but usually would be fine when I logged on the next morning after finishing a run the evening before.

• Like Like x 1
  35. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I was hoping it was something like that but next day still shows them as green bars - fully achieved but not completed and no "reward".

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  36. Azlankris

Azlankris New Member

Hello the mastery is a great idea, but for me it doesnt work on the bakerloo line. I've done like 10 scenarios, trainings and time tables and it says ive done 1, bug maybe? Anything i can do?

• Like Like x 1
  37. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Sounds like the same issues myself and others had with Mastery on TSW 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  38. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Try to reset DTG Live:
    Logout ingame, Quit the game, Restart game and loggin to DTGLive
    Also be patient when you quit game after gameplay, I experienced that direct quit after gameplay result in fact that DTGLive don't recognize some of service I played. It will be good to see some synchronization icon to be ensure that your gameplay was tracked to DTGLive before you quit.

39. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Always go back to the Main-Menu before you quit the game. In older versions there was a bug that nothing was saved before you go back to the main-menu, may be the same issue with DTG-Live transmissions.

40. Azlankris

Azlankris New Member

Thanks to everyone for replies. I did all of what you said and it fixed the problem. I cant pinpont what exactly fixed it but doing all of them was like 5 minutes, so. Thanks again. : )

41. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

What you get for completing all the tasks is not worth the effort in my opinion
    A market scene, what's the point?
    If completing them unlocked a loco that wasn't available to buy would be worth it

• Like Like x 1
  42. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Or even a new livery.

• Like Like x 1
  43. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Absolutely no. This is not a crappy grindy F2P that locks content, if you could buy that loco for the usual price or have the option to grind it to save you 13€, fine. But this is not that kind of game, if you even want to call it a game.

I trust DTG to never even think about doing something like that. That's the same difference between War Thunder aircrafts and DCS, but more importantly it's the difference between a real simulator and a crap, F2P game. What next? Tech trees for trains? And a season pass for routes? No thank you.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  44. Thorman

Thorman Active Member

A new livery would be cool

• Like Like x 1
  45. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

DTG have found a good reward for the mastery system. Creating rewards that allow us to change some of the scenery on routes is exactly the type of reward I want from this system!

• Like Like x 1
  46. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I’d like this too. However providing the same three identical Christmas market stools across DLCs is hardly rewarding.

• Like Like x 1
  47. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I still have issues with mastery updating. I've completed the tier 1 part of mastery on the Bakerloo line and and did 5 services but for some reason it doesn't update the part where it says drive 5 miles in the tunnel when I've already done that dozens of times. When I did a 442 service on SKA, it doesn't update either at all even when I go back to the main menu. I shouldn't be suprised that mastery isn't working in tsw2 for me because it didn't work for me in tsw2020 either and yes I am logged into dovetail live in the game

On the matter of the rewards, I think that they are not great at all. Getting new stickers that you can put on your train is pointless for me since I don't use livery designer and having the same identical Christmas market plopped onto different routes that probably wouldn't be there in real life and that you probably wouldn't notice doesn't feel rewarding at all. Maybe if we earn a certain number of action points in a route, you can use those to buy a dlc locomotive or maybe a route although that would be a bit of a stretch. Also isn't the whole point of a "mastery" is to master a difficult challenge. The tasks that the mastery askes you to do (if it works that is) are not difficult at all. Maybe a challenge they could add is to use all the safety systems when using a certain train on a route to make it difficult to do instead of driving 5 miles in a tunnel which anybody can do or completing 5 services.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  48. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I still trying to find where the snowman is on Sand Patch.

• Like Like x 2
  49. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Oof

50. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I see your point. I have a feeling though we will see more tiers of challenges added to routes as time goes on that with a little more time could be great.

• Like Like x 2