Awesome Tsw Service Mode Runs

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JustWentSouth, Dec 4, 2020.

1. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

This was excellent. Thanks for posting the recommendation!

I used this run as an intro to HMA. I love the PIS boards:
    HMA1.jpg
    The run was straightforward at the start. Once we got close to Munich, the PZB fun started!
    HMA2.jpg
    The details:
    HMA with the 766.2 Control Car RE57009 with an 06:39 departure.
    Highly recommended!

• Like Like x 2
  2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  3. JustWentSouth

I linked both on the lead post.

I caught a couple of typos: Entries 29 & 30 on Google Sheets should be HRR and 30 should be 87207.

It is great to have all these recommendations in one place. Thank you!

4. LeadCatcher

Thanks for catching the typos - will correct on the master and re-upload in the morning...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Thank you, a very good idea :). I mention it in the next version of the TSW2 Starters Guide.

• Like Like x 4
  6. LeadCatcher

Just wanted to bump this a bit to hopefully keep it alive since many commented that they likes the sharing of these experiences.

I will be more than happy to maintain the list, but would ask when describing the timetable or scenario that you provide the Route, locomotive, timetable number and any special requirements such having to spawn on foot then take over an AI. Looking forward to hearing from the community as to their favorite runs.

• Like Like x 3
  7. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Do not worry I have this thread in the back of my head each time I start a timetable service and keep my eyes peeled for anything that would be interesting for us here! :D

• Like Like x 3
  8. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Just had a pop at the TGV 5010 Marseille-St-Charles service (played through journey mode...it's in chapter 1 and 2). It's only one stop but it looks like you are a bit close to another train. So with the safety systems on and the threat of an emergency brake, the high speed section speeds are constantly blinking. It was going 320 down 300 back to 320 at first but did drop lower. Once you are on the DC power, it should be a bit more relaxing. Got there a minute late.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

Ah beat me to it. I was just about to mention this service. It was the first avignon to marseille service I did and was rather unexpected. From what I remember the speed limit was constantly changing pretty much all the way to aix en provence. I thought the train in front was stopping there but it didn't. Definitely kept me on my toes though, that's for sure!
    I vaguely remember a mention on one of the streams that in one of the scenarios, the train in front is intentionally set to go slower, so perhaps this happens in a few services as well?

P.S. I would also like to add to the praise for this thread. It really is a breath of fresh air to see some positivity in these forums for a change

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  10. J954

J954 New Member

So it's not really an interesting service if you want drive properly, but the 17:44 TGV 5306 Marseille-St-Charles is one of the non-stop runs from Avignon to Marseille bypassing Aix-en-Provence, and unlike some of the other non-stops there are no other trains in front of you. So if you're looking for a timetabled service to just speed recklessly down the high speed line on for a bit of fun, this one's great.

My record is 22:41 seconds service start to finish, pulling into Marseille at 18:05 8 minutes ahead of schedule. You can be going >300 km/hr and an Emergency brake should still be able to stop you in about ~3.5 km.

• Like Like x 1
  11. karlo

karlo New Member

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

13. JustWentSouth

I’m trying to create some havoc on HMA by delaying freights. I started off on DB85810 due to leave at 20:30. I waited until the regional 57067 was due to leave at 20:40, but I couldn't get behind it since I had already been cleared through the meeting point. It just sat there waiting on me:
    HMA EB 1.jpg

I couldn't lose my clearance even after reversing for a bit.

I then waited until about 20:50 so that I would get some parallel running with an S3 service at Mammendorf due to leave at 21:05. Even with all that, I still had a run with no restrictive signals until I pulled into the Munich yard.

My one bit of satisfaction with this run was rumbling through the stations knowing I was the cause of the 10 minute delay:
    HMA EB2.jpg

I wonder if some of the people on the platform saluted their displeasure as lumbered by. So, a nice run on a gorgeous route under the lights, but certainly not a favorite. I will look into what I can get stuck behind headed west.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  14. JustWentSouth

First of all, this was my introduction to the BR425. What a fabulous loco. I love the sounds, the physics, and the way the cab lights flicker with the electric connection. The weak brakes make PZB and station stops that much more exciting.

The pre-dawn lighting was really nice:
    DB422.jpg
    Near Munich it was as advertised: a PZB fest. This run reminded me of RE57009. As for me, I was 17 minutes late! Thanks for the recommendation.

The details: HMA RE 57001 EB with the BR 425 departing Augsberg at 07:05.

15. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

TGV 9866 Bruxelles Midi

Careful with this one. Near the end, another train will still be waiting at the station. I was sticking close to the TVM speed limits and had to stop at the TVM block marker just before Avignon. You can see the other train in there as you are coming to a stop. I thought at some point the speed restrictions would've come in earlier but they only come in near the end, so it feels like a usual all-clear service.

There are only four Bruxelles Midi services and the one I did was at 12:07.

• Like Like x 2
  16. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

It´s not a service but a scenario: the first one with BR185.5 on Wuppertal route ("Setting out"). I like it a lot because it´s quite realistic, as you need to drive locomotive to prepare a freight train departure, also it´s quite complex in terms of signal indications and involves almost all non standard PZB procedures such as restricted modes before and after signal approaches and even override of red signals. A must have to master your PZB knowledge and understand the PZB speed limits the system applies before and after 1000Hz and 500Hz magnets ;)

Cheers

• Like Like x 6
  17. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

I SPAD this yesterday thinking the 000 was my stop in the station

• Like Like x 2
  18. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

Cheers everyone!!
    Wow, this thread has really become something special.
    Many many thanks to LeadCatcher for compiling all the services and to everyone else subitting their favorite services. I've returned to many older routes and discovered some fantastic new experiences, thanks to this thread.
    Looking forward to playing all of these!! Keep it up!
    I'll also continue to be on the hunt for more Awesome TSW 2 services. :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This is just a thought, but what if priority was defined by how many blocks the train can request ahead of itself. Let's say express trains could take 6 blocks, regionals 4, freight 2-3 (probably 3, so you're not constantly running yellow lights). This way a freight train would have to get well ahead to be let on the line in front of an express train and therefore not give it a delay. This could then be represented (as usually, it is IRL) by priorities 1, 2 and 3.

• Like Like x 4
  20. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for this recommendation.
    The funny thing is that I had already done this scenario on TSW2020 and found it quite boring. At that time I did not have the security systems activated on the German roads, because I did not know how they were used. Then I learned and this is the thing, that now with PZB activated I found it super fun, so I realise that this game changes radically when you take it seriously and put yourself in the shoes of a train driver, because if you do it like that TSW has the potential to be very immersive.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like Like x 3
  21. JustWentSouth

Creating some SKA Chaos, Eastbound Version:

The idea is to create some delays and put a regional in front of the freight you are going to drive to Koln. This can't be done by starting in the freight. So, start out in the 08:51 RE1 service out of Aachen .... and wait. Check your Twitter feed, go through the train testing all the doors (channeling Sam) - do anything but release the service.

At about 9:03, an intermodal freight will pull up to your right:

EB Chaos SKA1.jpg

The locomotives eligible for this freight are 185.5, 185.2, and 143. I assume the selection is random. However, both times I did this, I got 185.5.

Continue waiting. Your freight is not due to leave until 9:15. Once you walk over to the freight loco and take over that service, the RE1 will leave. The closer you wait until 9:15, the closer behind the regional you will be as you drive the freight.

While you are waiting, you are holding up traffic in both directions. Your wait and subsequent driving determines your run. It will be a little different each time. If you get a PZB emergency application, it will take a while to release the brakes and that will totally change the run. Driving in Winter also makes a huge difference because limited of limited traction.

Once you have picked a time, walk over to the freight and then take it over. The regional will then depart. Your wait after that will depend on how much traffic you backed up. Inbound traffic will start flowing after the Regional clears. You may still be waiting after that; I have had to wait on an inbound ICE and then the next outbound regional.

The freight leaves 22 minutes behind the regional when it’s not being held up. Over the course of the run, it makes up 16 minutes. However, don’t let the passenger train go too soon, it’s easy to lose touch with it towards Koln given your PZB imposed freight speed limits.

It is theoretically possible to pass the Regional at several of the stations along the way. However, I don’t think the dispatcher will allow that. In one scenario, I caught up with the Regional at Duren and stopped as it pulled out and rejoined the main in front of me. My signal stayed red until next regional, which my Aachen wait had significantly delayed, got to the station behind me, stopped, loaded passengers, and then proceeded by me, here just passing the signal changing it from green:

EB Chaos SKA2.jpg
    This “scenario” should work with all regional departures from Aachen at 51 minutes after the hour except for 04:51, 20:51, 21:51, and 22:51. The specific runs can be found in WonterRail 's excellent service mode timetables linked here:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/wonterails-service-mode-timetables.17878/

Enjoy! SKA Westbound Chaos is next ....

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
  22. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

AWESOME!! It’s loads of fun disrupting the timetable :cool:, don’t think the signallers will be very pleased with me :D
    Thanks a lot, can’t wait for SKA Westbound Chaos next!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I find 2C73, the last service from Seaford to Brighton, on East Coastway quite interesting. You get a red just before Brighton where you have to contact the signaller and get permission to pass it, this also means temporarily isolating the TPWS so you do not get an emergency brake application. Then you couple up to another unit in platform 8 at Brighton. This service just provides a bit of a change from all of the other Seaford to Brighton runs.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

This isn't a service mode run, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the scenario railfreight on TVL, the class 20 has plenty of varying yellow signal action depending on how fast you run through them, and a swap to the freight lines to let some other freight and passenger services pass before you continue on, again with yellows to chase.

Probably already well known, but a satisfying run nevertheless.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

that one sounds interesting!

• Like Like x 1
  26. LeadCatcher

Spreadsheet update 12/21/2020 -

• Like Like x 2
  27. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Some great ideas above and the one theme of this thread, is that it's far more fun to run late and disrupted (at least in the game) than on time!
    Suggestion to DTG - introduce timetable havoc mode, or as they word it in SimSig "One Of Those Days" type scenario.

• Like Like x 4
  28. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Köln-Aachen

On the S-Bahn services, if you take any of the XX:03 from Duren to Blankenberg (Sieg) services you run into the back of the XX:16 service to Blankenberg which starts at Sindorf and you get PZB action all the way to Köln

Rhein-Ruhr Osten

Just done the 09:53 Petroleum Wuppertal > Hagen Freight Yard and you follow a stopper all the way with lots of yellow.
    Do it in the snow for extra fun with your heavy train.

• Like Like x 5
  29. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I'll have to do this, did you respect the 100 km/h PZB speed limit?

30. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

90 kmh

31. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20201222-140341_Drive.jpg

What is that I never understood about PZB until this moment?

Screenshot_20201222-140748_Drive.jpg
    105 - 5 = 100 km/h
    If we consider max speed of 100 km/h due to limitation of the loaded freight wagons than
    100 - 5 = 95 km/h but it has nothing to do with PZB operations and seems like it's not covered by that rule which is in place to ensure you stay under PZB limitations.

Of course with the BR143 and 403/406 (when not under LZB) it becomes -10 km/h because AFB goes by 10 km/h steps, and is not very good at holding the speed (in the case of the 143)

What did I misunderstood?

Source: Main Spessart Bahn Manual

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  32. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

You didn‘t misunderstand anything. Maximum speed for PZB mode U is 100 km/h.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

There are other limiting factors as well, such as brake capacity of the train for example :)

• Like Like x 2
  34. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I know, but since we don't get any in-depth data or documentation about the trains in TSW I only tend to follow the PZB limits, if you have a list or method to easily calculate the max speed or BrH of the train I would happily do it, I always try to achieve as much realism as possible, I remember last time I checked the best way to calculate the BrH was to brake from 100 km/h to 0 and then take how much time it took and paste it on a community created Phyton script. If new method or a list has been complied I'd be happy to use it, or better if DTG gave us more in-depth data about the trains, particularly freights.

• Like Like x 1
  35. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Yes I kept to the 105km/h limit although I rarely reached it in the snow.

I also have Ruhr-Seig Nord layers

• Like Like x 1
  36. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

If your train has brakes set to goods mode, you are limited to 90 kmh.

37. Lamplight

That‘s hardly universal, is it? You can easily find the real calculations you have to do for PZB. Speed limits of individual wagons are harder to come by but should be found on the cars themselves. As far as I know a universal statement such as yours is wrong.

38. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Service 1Z39 on the east coast way is a good run. The heritage diesel service using the dlc from Tvl and ntp. As it’s a non-stopping service you’ll be brought up against yellows and possibly reds as you’ll be following a stopping service into Eastbourne.

39. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

On the max speed thing - the only one I can recall for sure is that all wagon brakes on Main Spessart Bahn are set up for Goods mode, so any consists that come from MSB should be run to a PZB-U and 90km/h limit. I don't recall how wagons in other addons have been set up.

The smaller consists that are usable with the BR 143 on MSB ought to be fine for even PZB-M on a bigger loco like a BR 185.2 or BR 155, given how much more powerful and better at stopping those ones are compared to the little 143. But, as a safe option, for any MSB consists, stick to PZB-U/90km/h.

Matt.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

I'd never really thought about getting in another earlier train to cause timetable chaos ;P. A brilliant idea for sure. If the game doesn't create random delays, then make your own! Opens up a whole new world of possibilities. Definitely gotta try it out on a few different routes :D

• Like Like x 2
  41. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Ah thank you very much, strangely I never came across this info or at least I didn't remember it, thanks

42. JustWentSouth

Creating some SKA Chaos, Westbound Version: This direction is fun, but not quite as chaotic as the Eastbound Version I posted earlier.

The idea is to put a regional in front of the freight you are going to drive to Aachen. You can't do it by delaying the freight, so you will have to start in a Regional, drive it to just beyond the first stop at Köln-Ehrenfeld and wait ...

This works with any RE9 leaving Köln at 47 minutes after the hour except the 5:47, 6:47, and 8:47 services. You can't create quite as much chaos in this direction because your parked passenger train is only blocking traffic in one direction, but give it your best shot!

For example, start in the RE9 service at Köln at 16:47. Depart at 16:49 and arrive at the first stop, Köln-Ehrenfeld, at 16:53. Pull away from the station. In just under a kilometer you will pass under a signal bridge that does not have a display for your track.

WB Chaos SKA1.jpg

Pull through the second signal beyond the bridge and stop at the km marker 60. The rear of your train will be beside the Technologie Park S-Bahn stop.

WB Chaos SKA2.jpg

At 17:12, service 83116 will pull up beside you on the right. At some point, leave the passenger service and climb into the freight cab, likely a 185.2. The longer you wait, the more you back up westbound traffic.

WB Chaos SKA3.jpg

When you take over the freight, the Regional will take off. You can wait some after that, but the schedule has you making up only 6 minutes on the Regional on the way to Aachen, so don't let it get too far ahead. With the heavier trains, it is hard to catch the Regional. I recommend running either a Container or Auto service. The Auto services are accessed with the 8:47, 12:47, and 16:47 Regionals. The Container services are accessed with the 10:47, 14:47, and 18:47 Regionals.

It helps to know when the Regional will be stopped at Horrem (about 9 minutes after you let it go) and Duren (about 11 minutes after that) so that you can know when to push the max speed limit and when to back off in anticipation of a 23 second reduction to 70kph. The gentler you can get under 70 and then under 50 for the 500hz magnet, the quicker the brakes will release if the signal clears.

Once you reach the destination of Aachen-Rothe-Erde, click Continue Free Roam to continue the drive to and through the Aachen Depot. Depending on the EB Regional Schedule, you may get a Red just before the viaduct. At Aachen, the signals will clear and allow you to continue west off the map.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 4
  43. JustWentSouth

It is fun! Please let us know what you try and what works. I think I am going to try HMA next, but I need to learn the route better to see how the multiple parallel tracks affect the delays you can create.

For now, I am going to park the Eastbound Regional for a while at Aachen and see what happens ....

44. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have done it in the class 101 on NTP, although it was inadvertent. I caused quite severe delays behind me! It seemed to work, I thought it might cause an error!

• Like Like x 1
  45. JustWentSouth

I am having fun with this. I tried a little Eastbound SKA Chaos by starting in the 10:51 RE1 service. Then, I just sat there. Or, more like I left the computer for a while and came back.

I saved the game at approximately 11:30.

Here’s a picture of the Aachen carnage at 11:40:

Aachen Carnage.jpg

4 trains waiting to depart. There are also three inbounds lined up to arrive.

From there, I got in the freight. The 10:51 regional departs first, 50 minutes late. This opens things up for the inbound flow. Shortly after that, much to the consternation of the remaining Regional and ICE passengers, the freight gets a green.

The freight run is as I posted earlier with plenty of adverse signals. Also, it’s a veritable parade of opposing traffic on the way out. A great time, unless you are a passenger waiting at Aachen. I suspect things never got fully unstuck at Aachen and I don't think the ICE ever departed.

I then went back to the save and got into the 422 powering the Regional RE9 service just across the platform at 11:30. It was due to depart at 11:18. Depending on how you drive, you may or may not overtake the freight at a station on the way East. A very interesting run.

Finally, I went back into the save to take over the ICE due at 11:40, but it would not let me take over the service. I don't know if this is a function of reloading the save or the train getting stuck.

• Like Like x 6
  46. JustWentSouth

SKA Chaos: ICE version

I started in the RE9 service out of Aachen at 13:16. I waited for the ICE at 13:40. It pulled into the depot at 13:32. In the meantime, my Regional is blocking inbound and outbound traffic.

At 13:40, the ICE will pull ahead a few meters to the red signal. At some point after that, you should head over to track 9 and climb in the driver’s seat of the ICE.

ICE Chaos.jpg

How long you wait does not affect your ride in, only the opposing traffic that you see. It will be quite a roller coaster ride to Koln with you working the PZB, throttle, and brake maneuvers until just outside of Duren. After that, LZB takes over, but the roller coaster doesn’t stop.

Here is a graph of my ride.

ICE Chaos 3.jpg

My battered ICE service sagged into Koln nearly 30 minutes late. To add insult to injury, I had issues turning off and restarting the AFB at the end of LZB.

This was a fantastic run! I thoroughly enjoyed the multiple stops and near stops, especially before LZB took over. Highly recommended!

Here, the weary service trudges onward to Frankfurt:

ICE Chaos2.jpg

Edit: remember that to restart after an LZB stop, you need to zero the throttle and then throttle up again. This "scenario" works with RE9 services leaving Aachen at 07:16, 09:16, 11:16, 13:16, 15:16, 17:16, and 19:16.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  47. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

I think this thread has gone a bit off topic. I don't see the point of deliberately causing chaos and reporting it as a possible interesting service, but maybe it's my fault ...

• Like Like x 10
  48. LeadCatcher

On this point I have to agree with respect to including them on the list of Awesome Services for the simple fact that trying to include all the instructions on how to cause havoc is rather difficult to capture in a succinct manner.

Though I applaud the ingenuity of those efforts i will leave it for those that peruse this thread to find rather than include them on the list. I hope all understand.

• Like Like x 10
  49. JustWentSouth

That is perfect and I completely agree. It is rather complex!

Thanks for keeping the list. I am enjoying working my way down it. The suggestions here have provided some of my most immersive and enjoyable TSW experiences. Thanks to all for posting them.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Lamplight

Could you (or anyone else) give me a source on the 90 km/h?
    If you look at the "Lastgrenzenraster" (roughly: maximum load/weight table) on the cars on MSB, you'll find that they're all designated as "S" which means they are supposed to be run at 100 km/h when fully loaded. Such a table looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    • The "S" stands for 100 km/h
    • The letters A-D are part of a classification system for different routes.
    • The numbers below the letters indicate how much weight (in tons) you can load the cars up with on different tracks.
    • The "120 | 00,0" indicates that the car is allowed to run at 120 km/h when unloaded (loaded with 0,00 tons)
    If a car is only allowed to run at 90 km/h (no matter whether due to brakes or design), the "S" would be replaced with a "90".
    I'd attach some pictures of the in-game tables, but Dovetail Live doesn't let me access my screenshots for some reason.

So my question stands. What is your source on the 90 km/h?

• Like Like x 3