Improvements For The Lgv

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Nemo, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Nemo

Nemo Member

Hi everyone !

After some trips with the TGV, I must say I like controlling this beast. I'm really enjoying it ! Especially after Aix-en-Provence TGV when changing from -3% to 3% gradient. ^^
    But I think a couple of improvements could be made. :)

So here is a list of what could/should be improved on the LGV for a better experience (except KVB and "Crocodile" (this name is wrong), I know there will be updates about it). :D

---TVM---

- I've noticed that the triple red 000 is showing when entering at Aix-en-Provence TGV or Avignon TGV. In reality, it's not right ! Black 170 is shown before the station, at the station and after it. This is why drivers are entering in station at 100 km/h and are not getting arrested by the KVB for over speeding.
    >> I think the triple 000 should be removed when you have to stop in a station (and only if the junction in front of the train is in the right position).

Here are 2 examples in the same video at Aix-en-Provence TGV and Avignon TGV (32:53 for the second one):

- Another thing I've noticed : the 80 step doesn't exist ! When entering a station, you pass from black 170 to triple 000. So you have to react quickly before getting an emergency braking. There is some documentation on Internet (here for example : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Voie-Machine)
    >> Black/white 80 should (or must !!) be added for the TGV to be more drivable. :)

---VACMA---
    - I don't know if this was intentional, but VACMA is reacting like DSD. In fact, if the pedal is depressed for more than 5s, a siren can be heard then emergency brakes apply. The "drinnng" is in fact audible when the pedal is pressed more than 55s.
    >> Adding an option "Realistic VACMA" and another "DSD VACMA" (for those who don't want to press a button for a long time :D ) would be great.

---Sounds---
    - Some of them are not really well mixed. The ventilation sound of coaches is way too loud, I've never heard them that loud in real life. In cab, the volume when the pression is changing is too low etc...
    >> Reducing (ex: ventilation) or increase (ex: brakes) the volume to the minimum would be more realistic.

- There are some pitches issues at low speed, but that's clearly not annoying. The one of the motor sound is a bit high for example, and the transition from one sound to another is too audible.
    >> So I think adjuting it when necessary would be more realistic.

---Environment---
    - The major problem with this addon is the atmosphere. I've traveled a few times to Marseille, and it does not look like the TSW line. The environment is in fact more dry, more yellow. Green grass "doesn't" exist there. :D
    >> Adding more yellow color on the grass and more "southern trees" would be better for a more realistic astmosphere.

- The other problem is ground texture : I can see the repetition of it, this is kinda weird in 2020, so here I expect some improvements.

- At Marseille St-Charles, the station looks like a bit "dead". The station itself is beautiful (I love reflections) but sometimes I feel a bit lonely.
    >> Adding more people and more trains would be nice !

I think I've said everything, take care of yourself everyone ! :D

Good night !

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

Comments on some of your points:
    TVM:

The problem with the TVM indicating a stop at Aix-en-Provence is the same as on the Bakerloo Line. TSW clears the signal after you have completed the task of stopping at the station and loading passengers. I don't know if an 80km/h step is missing in the approach sequence, but I don't think that the stop signal will be fixed. I don't know why DTG has built timetable runs like this in TSW2 (in TSW1 this was not the case) but it seems to be not a stylistic choice but rather a technical one.

VACMA:
    As in all train simulators that I know, the safety systems (like VACMA, DSD, SIFA, etc.) are simulated so that the pedal is normally pressed down and released when the according button (in this case Q) is pressed. If you stand up while driving the TGV you will hear the horn, because the pedal is released. Simulating these systems like their real counterparts would ruin the whole experience because holding down a button for 30mins is really unpleasant.

Environment:
    The station is a bit dead. Adding more passengers could fix this problem. But adding more trains is (at the moment) not possible. The TGV services are based on the real timetable. More trains are not available, so the only option would be to fill the station with TGVs which then looks more unrealistic. Maybe we will get older TGV trains or more french trains (this will only come with "normal" french routes). These will then be patched onto this route and will enhance the variety in Marseille.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Marseille, like most of the big stations in TSW, is quite challenging for graphics cards (and probably even more so for consoles). Adding more trains and people would drive frame rates even lower. I agree it would make the experience more realistic, but at the expense of making the gameplay worse for many of DTG's customers. Not everyone has an RTX3090 :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

there should just be options (sliders) for more trains / passengers / cars and things like that
    also there should be more diversity on passenger's length/weight and age

• Like Like x 4
  5. Nemo

Nemo Member

I understand that it would be unpleasant, that's why I'm proposing the possibility to switch between a realistic and a less annoying VACMA. ;)
    In TS, every french train has the "annoying" version of the VACMA but ony few people is using it. xD
    Sifa is simulated just like in real life in every train simulator if I remember well, its operation is different compared to VACMA which is more restrictive.

I don't have one. :D I'm not asking to have every track with a train on it of course, I just want to see one or 2 trains parked just before the station or taking a different track (toward Nice for example). For a station that big, this is quiet sad to see poor life.

Proposition of Thorgred is a good idea : everyone could control the amount of people/train depending of the computer.

• Like Like x 2
  6. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Even with a 3090 you can do nothing if the game core is optimized like... ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  7. bsrdj

bsrdj Member

getting good game play with my 2080ti

8. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

SiFa, VACMA, and DSD all work after the same principle. A pedal has to be pushed down and released after a certain time and repushed again. In VACMA and DSD this time interval is pretty large and if the power or brake controls are used, the system resets the timer. SiFa has a time interval of ca. 30 sec and does not monitor any of the other controls. There are of course more subtle differences between the systems (i.e. VACMA automatically sends an emergency message via the radio when the brakes were applied and turns on the hazard lights) but these are not needed in the simulator.

The input given by the driver is the same at all of these systems, why e.g. the ICE 3MF and 3MS (which are used on lines in France) can use the SiFa hardware and just have an upgraded software to comply with VACMA standards.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

In real life LGV videos, and on different LGV routes (like for example Lyon-Nimes or Paris Nord-Vallencianes(? A nord route from Paris in direction of Holland) I never seen a 080 at a station stop inside an LGV line. The last TVM speed on these videos it was always 170 and then the train stop.

I also know that in the Wikipedia TVM speed codes there is also the 080 but on the real life route I never seen one.

From the videos I noticed that (usually) all TGVs, with thd 170 on the TVM display, enrtering in the station stop track (i mean the junction between transit and stop tracks) at about 100-90 km/h, very speedy. But they has still about 1.5 km of platform to stop, cause LGV blocks and station platforms are (usually) very long.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  10. Nemo

Nemo Member

On 95% of Youtube videos taken in a TGV cab, there was no train blocking our way. Most of the time, every stop in a station was made with a clear track in front of us. ;)

You're right on the point where you say that only black 170 should appear when entering and leaving a station, except of course when a train is blocking our way.

On this video, you can clearly see the white diamond 80 starting from 8:45, shortly before triple 000 appears. As KVB still calculates a deceleration curve, having a black 170 followed by a triple 000 has no sense, as you'll have to make a full stop in a single kilometer. In bad conditions, KVB will just provoke a emergency braking.

Here too, you can (barely) see the 0 of the white 080 at 2:08:10.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. PBrogaard

PBrogaard Active Member

I'll add to this thread, since I find it's the best suited. Apologies if it should be posted elsewhere.

Track detail

Switches & crossings on the high speed line are not correctly modelled as they consist of only a point machine and single set of switch rods, and not as would be used on high speed lines; several position detectors, swing nose, lockings and rods and so on.
    I think the TGV Duplex drives and feels like the beast it should be. Please improve the trackside equipment, so it looks and feels like it can handle said beast too (if you go to an outside cam and get close to the point switch, try and look at it and imagine it should be able to deal with a 320 km/h train running over it - atm it's looking very hazardous ;) )

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

The biggest killer is immersion between Aix-en-Provence and Avignon. Rude copy paste of TS product with 10 years old graphics and terrain shape, which was over covered by wrong trees model to a point it doesn't looks like specific Mediterranean biome at all.
    They could at least put real dry vegetation on it.