Would You Pay For New Scenario Packs?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by erg73, Dec 21, 2020.

?
  1. YES

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, the reason for this poll is to find out if any of you would be willing to pay for scenario packages of different routes.
    I have the impression that DTG is working more on this aspect lately and the scenarios of the new routes (HMA and TGV) seem to be more elaborated and worked, which makes them more interesting when playing.
    What happens is that 5 scenarios seem to me to be few. I understand that DTG for the standard price of a route does not see the need to include more than that number.
    But I think that perhaps, if it were something in demand, they could consider building more scenarios, charging a fair price for it. I don't think it would require too many workers to carry it out and it could be interesting for both the company and the players.
    Maybe with a good scenario planner this wouldn't be necessary, but in its current state I don't see how to build them or at least I don't have the time or patience to do so, so I would gladly pay for this type of DLC, as long as they were interesting scenarios, as they are being lately.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like Like x 6
  2. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

I'm in favor for scenario packs, always have been. But there are a number of questions that would need to be resolved first: which routes should they design them for, which DLCs (and if, how many of them) should be included in a scenario for a specific route,how many scenarios should be included in a pack and what price would seem resonable to attract people to buy them,...? What conditions must be met to warrant expending resources to create scenario packs?

I think they will eventually expand Scenario planner's options that will enable the community to create and share more varied and interesting scenarios. At least I hope that's what they're aiming for.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’d maybe buy scenario packs if the scenarios were unusual like trains breaking down, extreme weather, depot work, multiple back and fourth runs etc and only if they came with more trophies or other rewards to make them worthwhile doing.

• Like Like x 12
  4. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Voted yes, but obviously it shouldn't dilute the scenarios that already come with the routes (i.e. DTG shouldn't say "We'll only give 2 scenarios by default now because people will buy the rest".
    Agree with matjamca, any scenarios in a scenarios pack should add something different not available in Service Mode. So dynamic weather, AI traffic causing problems, engineering works and temporary signals, that kind of thing.

• Like Like x 8
  5. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

No for a very simple reason. Scenarios are a sort of advanced tutorials. The core of TSW/TSW2 are the Timetable Services.
    So, I'll glad to pay for additional rolling stock add-ons instead of a totally scripted scenario packs.

• Like Like x 12
  6. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I would not pay for a scenario pack. I'd rather create my own. If only the scenario planner actually had more functionality.

• Like Like x 6
  7. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I rather make my own instead of paying for a pack. Hopefully when scenario planner gets an upgrade we can get more functionally instead of an A-B quick drive from TS2021

• Like Like x 5
  8. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

I will buy a scenario pack. The existing editor does not allow us to build scenario. No maneuvers. No cold start. No breakdowns, repairs and emergencies. There are no unusual situations. It will be interesting to go through the full historical scenario. It would be great to take part in rolling stock inspection and troubleshooting. It's more interesting than putting up leaflets and installing ticket machines (you don't need to do this at all). While there is no route expansion, you can create a scenario that is implemented on two (or more) routes. I am waiting for the scenario pack, it will make the game more interesting.

• Like Like x 3
  9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

How much money have people got to throw around on scenarios? As if the routes and trains aren’t expensive enough. They would have to be pretty special scenarios to get me to part with more cash. If I’ve spent £25 on a route and £12 on a loco, I don’t want to have to spend another £2 to start that loco up in a depot then drive it to a station.

• Like Like x 13
  10. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Absolutely I would. I've mentioned it before. I bought a bunch of scenario packs for TS, many created by High Iron Simulations. If Gary and others can turn their hand to TSW, I'd certainly open my wallet. I actually think it will happen at some point. Why wouldn't it?

• Like Like x 3
  11. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

I would like some scenarios packs, sure, absolutely. But as many has pointed out here before me, they need to have some interesting features in them. Things not normally seen in game, things that we can't create ourselves in the scenario planner (at least not the way it is now). I'd love to see some trouble along the route, breakdowns and such. At the very least, interesting things happening next to the route, things to see, emergencies and what have you. Dynamic weather would also be fantastic, but that might be a totally different ballgame and require core stuff to be made for that to work.

• Like Like x 3
  12. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

It is a pleasure to see such well-reasoned and well-argued answers, both those who would buy it and those who would not.
    It seems obvious that those who would buy this additional material demand value-added scenarios.
    Many times I realize that the routes are too detailed and then the potential is not well used. Surely there would be an infinite number of ideas for making scenarios on many routes, even third party developers could do it.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like Like x 2
  13. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

I think we pay already too much for a beta version game :D

• Like Like x 3
  14. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

I would pay for another 24h package. It could contain limited traffic due to maintenance or construction. Maintenance vehicles could be added there.
    IMG_20200602_071218.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Of course we'd be prepared to pay, but how much is the interesting question. Not £20, for sure.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

Of course!

Actually, if DTG made turkey sandwiches, I'd buy them. :o

• Like Like x 2
  17. karlo

karlo New Member

18. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

In principle, no. If a new timetable came as part of an extended train asset DLC then fair enough, but scenarios on their own I don't think so.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

I go to work daily by train. A new bridge is being built on my route. Trains run on one track according to the training schedule. Thus, any DLC could be modified. I would buy that.
    most.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  20. Crosstie

Please address all suggestions to the correct subforum, that's the only way to get DTG's attention.:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  21. Reventloff

Reventloff Well-Known Member

Take my money!!! I could use more scenarious for sure!
    I had impression (and some hopes previously) that 'Journey mode' meant to have all kinds of different scenarios to make it... well hm... a real Journey! Not just a set of services.

• Like Like x 1
  22. hightower

hightower Guest

Scenarios are too scripted, so although they can be interesting they completely fall flat on this aspect for me.

Note that in using the word ‘scripted’, it’s not what you do in the scenario itself because a scenario by definition has a script, but the ‘climb through this door, sit here, turn things on in the wrong order, miss stuff out, stop at this signal (and watch it immediately go green)’ etc etc.

Unless this aspect of it changed then I don’t see any value in selling them separately. Also, what price do they sell at given their minuscule contribution to the value of a DLC?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  23. Crosstie

Like every other dlc in the game, Stujoy, they would be add-ons and players would have a choice- buy or don't buy.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Reventloff

Reventloff Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can agree on that. Less tutorials and funny scripts, more interesting challenges - this kind of scenarios will be very welcomed!

• Like Like x 2
  25. tallboy7648

That is true mate

• Like Like x 1
  26. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I would probably pay for scenario packs. They are the only thing that offers something in the way of "out of the ordinary" operations.

• Like Like x 1
  27. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

Actually, another thing that might make me fork over some hard earned cash, is if the scenarios included in a pack adds more AI traffic, and fills up the empty yards and sidings along the routes. Makes me sad at times driving through huge yards, and there's but a few sad cars and/or locos tucked away in some corner. Blows immersion right out the window it does.

I understand DTG not doing it, performance reasons and all (and old TS was always the same way), but there's were scenario packs from others come in. AP always had some good ones, and of course High Iron Simulations. There's also some seriously talented scenario makers in the Workshop. TobBirk being perhaps my personal all time favorite, if you into the type of things he does.

• Like Like x 6
  28. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Would prefer they just allow us to create and share our own scenarios...

• Like Like x 4
  29. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It depends, they should be significantly better than many more or less standard drives you get with the routes. I really want to see good scenarios. A full cold start and end, set up of a rear engine, turning on the saloon lights and so on. If they offer noting innovative, I am not interested.

• Like Like x 6
  30. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I am afraid this is not a “yes” or “no” question. Way too many variables on what a scenario could be. For the past 4 or so years, I have been a beta tester for Golden Goldsmith scenarios for TS20XX. IF the scenarios are as developed involved and tells a story as those of that company are, then yes by all means I would be happy to pay for such a package. If however, the scenarios are uninspired point A to B runs, then no, I think I would not purchase such a pack.

• Like Like x 7
  31. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Depends. They would have to be really good or really cheap to be worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  32. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

LeadCatcher Nice post, but I don't think it stops it being a yes or no question. I didn't take the Yes answer to mean a guarantee of always buying every scenario pack regardless of what DLC it relates to or to what it contains.

• Like Like x 2
  33. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with scenario packs as long as they work and provide good content. I have purchased them for TS20XX from High Iron and would not have a problem if they also came to TSW2.

• Like Like x 4
  34. LeadCatcher

You are probably right - but after a very short period of time being a Public Affairs officer in the military - I am very guarded on how I answer questions in a public environment :) Such as - "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

• Like Like x 2
  35. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Scenario packs were common at one time in TS1 and you usually got say five for £5. I don't know if I would purchase any for TSW as I have never run a scenario for TSW only service mode. However I wouldn't rule it out totally.

• Like Like x 4
  36. hightower

hightower Guest

5 for £5 really would represent terrible value for money. Given a loco DLC is £11.99 you would need to be getting 20 scenarios for £5 for it to come close to being worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  37. tallboy7648

I agree. This whole idea just sounds like a horrible idea

38. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

To put it in perspective, High Irons Scenerio packs on TS20XX come with 10 Scenerios for $9.99 USD,(Unsure what that converts to elsewhere) though most of their packs focus on US DLCs.

• Like Like x 2
  39. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I think it would depend how much work and effort had gone into the scenarios, along with whether they are more interesting than we already have and not something that we can knock up ourselves. Like I said before, I'd think about buying it if it was for a route I was interested in and it gave enough of something new that we don't have already.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

This time last year I would have said yes, I'd gladly pay for more interesting scenarios that use more of the yards and sidings which lie unused on every route. Now that we have scenario planner, I would much rather that they improved it so that we can access all areas, use any practical route, create custom consists and build timetables which aren't restricted to five minute intervals. Then we'd be able to use the whole train set and not just bits of it.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Crosstie

Thanks for making that correction, which I was just about to do myself.

42. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

When I watch a movie at the cinema with some popcorn I already pay that for less than two hours (And many times I have fallen asleep from how bad it was)
    So I would gladly pay that amount or even more for 10 scenarios (well planned and including many things that have already been said in this thread).
    They would undoubtedly provide me with many more hours of pleasure and satisfaction than the film.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  43. theorganist

That is what AP used to charge and his packs were very popular. I brought several back in the day. A good, well scripted, busy scenario can take many hours to make.

44. LeadCatcher

There are several companies doing very well creating scenario packs for TS20XX - High Iron, Golden Goldsmith, Just Trains, Armstrong Powerhouse, Steam Sounds Supreme to name a few - so why would it be a horrible idea for TSW?

• Like Like x 5
  45. theorganist

They might be more successful for TSW as the scenario planner is so basic at the moment. Scenario packs have been around since the early days of Railworks and have proved popular.

• Like Like x 2
  46. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I can't answer with a yes/no, it depends from too many things, if a scenario can offer possibilites that are not available on timetable, such as mixing various DLCs togheter (which we know is not possible/really hard), using otherwise inaccessible parts of the map (i.e. Werdohl-Everlingsen power station) or do something out of the ordinary (i.e. broken door or landslide on ECW), if done well enough and at a reasonable price I would be happy to buy a scenario pack, but it needs to meet some very high expectations for it to be worthwhile, and I would prefer a timetable add-on like the '70s BR if I had a choice between the two.

I would rather have an improved scenario designer so everyone can create good and complex scenarios and share them similarly to the Steam Workshop and leave DTG to do the timetables.

• Like Like x 2
  47. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I would probably not pay for scenario packs as there are enough "journeys" (scenarios and services) to keep me entertained. What I think would be a much better approach would be to introduce random events (such as late trains, track/signal failures) and dynamic weather into services, giving nearly unlimited possibilities.

• Like Like x 4
  48. tallboy7648

Does everyone who play tsw2 own or have played ts2021, NO.

• Like Like x 1
  49. tallboy7648

We do need random events in the game. That to me would be a better approach instead of buying scenarios

• Like Like x 1
  50. LeadCatcher

I never really thought I would have to explain to this level, but from your comment, I can see you can not project that if there is a market for well designed scenarios for TS20XX, that there might be a market for TSW as well. Of course if one always is looking for the negative, it is easy to find.

Best...

• Like Like x 8