What Could Have Saved Nec

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jamesonmin, Dec 22, 2020.

1. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

here is a list of things that could have made NEC better (a TSW2 remake)
    1: more services
    not just the northeast regional, that gets boring with just 7(?) amlfeet I coaches
    2: more than amfleet and the ACS-64 but things like the AEM-7. more coaches like the Viewliner sleeper and baggage which will lead to more services like the cardnial
    3: NJ transit
    this would have had more variety in traffic and stations
    4: throw CSX out the window
    it adds nothing and uses the same stock in SPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

All those extra stuff besides csx would've made it more enjoyable. That I agree

3. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

i agree with first 3
    but i like the freight part too so keep it

4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, any American route has to have freight, and the CSX license is a very valuable asset and should not be dismissed.

5. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

NEC was a really nice route indeed. I hope they seriously consider a remake with improvements because we lost the route, it´s rollingstock and two extra DLCs with it, so around 60€ value. And no far there has been no compensation of any kind at all for it to existing customers. Horrific!

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  6. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I got a suggestion coming up for Amtrak NEC and another well known Commuter Railroad...

7. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

In-cab signalling fix could've saved it. Not fun being stuck in a tunnel at such low speeds with the safety systems on. This never got fixed.

• Like Like x 3
  8. ZeenozPlays

20 MPH when we should be going 60 MPH. SMH.

9. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I hope they don't forget about NEC and someday do something with it again.
    I think it's wonderful, despite all its shortcomings.
    Let's not forget everything that this route included:
    -Passengers and freight
    -2 Locomotives
    -7 Rolling stock
    -7 Scenarios
    It makes a big fool of the last French route, for example, in terms of content.
    The modeling of the AMTRAK train seems to me spectacular, I like to travel as a passenger in those cars, with the OPEN Restaurant, as we have not seen since then in newer routes
    And what about the DLC SW1000R? The Shunter is great and let's not forget the Amfleet Cab Car is one of the best modeled cabs I've seen at TSW, a real pleasure to drive.
    Hell, a simple DLC included the same trains as the last few routes, It seems that in that respect we have gone backwards like the crabs!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like Like x 2
  10. sjjones98

sjjones98 New Member

I have a feeling there will be a new route containing part of the NE corridor with the Acela (to continue the high-speed theme). In addition they could then reuse the ACS-64, associated passenger cars, cab car and SW1000 in secondary roles. Just my thoughts.

11. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I asked about a possible NEC remake in the stream but it seems the question got lost into the sea of comments.

What it was clear to me is that anything which is not included in the published roadmap is not planned for 2021 as of today, so I´m afraid we can forget about this and any Amtrak content for a long time. The only chance I see is that any new third party could take this task.

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Crosstie

I think (and hope) you're right. But it will be far into 2021, perhaps 3rd or 4th quarter at the earliest, as it's not even in the planning stage of the roadmap.

13. Crosstie

I also made a comment about the lack of North American content in the stream but, like your question, it got lost in the melee.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bsrdj

bsrdj Member

the NEC route needs to be re-done or something got keep tsw2020 just for this route. worst dlc is rapid transit and bring it to tsw2?

• Like Like x 1
  15. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

That's subjective. Rapid Transit has some great underground stations and the BR182 does passenger services. I also enjoy the long time it takes to do the services (some nearly 1h½).

• Like Like x 1
  16. tallboy7648

Rapid Transit and it's a route that I got for free when I asked for preserved collection codes which was shocking and was unexpected. It's the worst german route in the game. Heck it's the worst route that I own in my opinion. It looks so dated graphically and I don't use it at all. I only used the route once to run an ice service on it and that was it

• Like Like x 1
  17. tallboy7648

Maybe dtg should give refunds to people who bought nec for tsw2020. I hope NEC and Amtrak make a return at some point because we are simply lacking in U.S passenger content and U.S content in general.

18. ZeenozPlays

Not a long time. We have to get another Amtrak Route soon. I speculate that it will have the Acela too. Sam did say it's "more than likely" that we'll get another route, and while he didn't straight up say "Yo, Amtrak... 2021/22" it's almost in the territory of, "We know we messed up with NEC and we want to deliver something better to you soon".

• Like Like x 1
  19. ZeenozPlays

IDK how I'd get a refund since mine was bundled with the original release of the game that also came with GWR/Rapid Transit. Back when TSW cost $50.

20. ZeenozPlays

All route opinions are subjective.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

1: More Services
    Actually wasn't one of the complaints about the timetable that NEC had too much traffic? If I remember correctly there were quite a few saying it was more like a European timetable than a US one due to it being too busy. More variety's one thing, but it should probably retain the current amount, if not possibly cut down on total services, not increase them.

4: Ditch CSX
    This is just silly. if you don't care about the service then just don't play them. Personally for me any many others they're the one saving grace that this route has. Yeah sure it's reusing SPG stock, but it's in a very different context than that route used, doing shunting instead of the main line hauls SPG used them for.

2 & 3: More stock
    Don't disagree with that point, the more stock it has the more interesting it becomes. Only thing I would say is that NJ Transit should probably have its own route instead of being just add on rolling stock on the NEC route.

But ultimately my problem with these suggestions are that they don't address the two big issues that people had with. The unpolished nature of the route, mainly things like the broken safety systems and lack of overhead wires on certain sections of track. And most importantly of all the poor choice of termini, if they had to do the New York area they should've started at Penn and either headed toward New Haven or Philadelphia. Instead they went with this weird middle ground where Penn's the center of the universe which means services can't really start or end in a convincing way without using only half the route. The SW1000R DLC's cab car shows this off rather well as it starts and ends at Penn, making the services rather short. Ultimately these fixes are like bandaging up a amputee, sure it might stop the bleeding, but you'll always be left handicapped as long as you have to use that section of route.

• Like Like x 4
  22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I think it was the build quality and methods used for making it that both let the route down and meant it couldn’t be brought over to TSW2. I know I would use the route more often if it was better made. There’s a fair bit that can be done just moving freight around in the free play scenario. Even the limited passenger runs are okay if you don’t turn on the safety systems and can ignore the scenery struggling to load in front of you and the position of the stop markers.

There are going to be new routes added to the roadmap in the new year so keep your fingers crossed for some US passenger routes and locos in those.

23. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

For one of the worlds most populous cities it just looked abandoned.
    Completely killed any immersion.

• Like Like x 1
  24. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Rapid Transit is not a bad DLC but its potential is not fully used. For instance: it has 3 completely operational depots (one including a turntable) but nobody has been able to use them since route was released. Another example of development efforts for just A to B travelling. This route should be revived to give us its best.

Cheers

• Like Like x 6
  25. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The scenery was really bad on this route too.

26. tallboy7648

Personally I thought the freight services were boring but that's just me. The route personally was awful and the poor decision to have the terminus at Newark Liberty International Airport In the State Of New Jersey and New Rochelle in Westchester County, New York. The scenery looked awful, Penn Station looked dead and it felt rushed buu that doesn't seem like a suprise with dtg's products at times at this point. If they really wanted to do a nec route, they should've done personally NEC New York to New Haven like they have in ts2021 which would have you start from New York Penn Station to New Haven Union Station in New Haven, Connecticut. That station is not far from Yale University which is a little easter egg for you guys and gals. Heck if they did new york to new haven we could've gotten the MTA Metro-North Railroad New Haven Line which was also in ts2021 on the nec new york to new haven route which would go from Grand Central in Manhattan to New Haven Union-State Street. Not To mention the New Cannan Branch on the New Haven Line as well. We would've also gotten csx freight services as well so a win win on all parts. I think nec new york to new haven would be better instead what we got in the end.

27. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Well yeah, it's an old route and doesn't quite follow the styling standards of other German routes. At least you got it for free. I personally prefer it to NEC but I enjoy German routes more. ;)

The sounds of the Rapid Transit Talent 2 are messed up pretty bad in TSW2 so it's something I only really like to play in TSW2020. If I'd paid full price for the TSW2 preserved collection version, I'd be very disappointed with it.

• Like Like x 1
  28. tallboy7648

I like german content too. The talent 2 in rapid transit is pretty bad and I don't touch it at all

29. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Maybe making the route from Boston to providence because MBta commuter rail mentioned that they where interested in coming to TSW right before they announced TSW 2 on there Twitter page.

30. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Why would you want a refund? TSW2020 is a separate game and one that you can still play as much as you like, they haven't taken it away. Yes it is a bit bare bones, as is RT, and I can imagine that RT was a pretty close call to get left out of TSW2 too. I think what saved it is the 182 which they seem to be updating now. One of the few benefits of the loco DLC being tied to a route!

I wouldn't rule out NEC returning in the next 12-18 months - they just did a route in TS2021 and it has some new high speed trains coming soon which would fit nicely into the TSW2 high speed theme.

• Like Like x 1
  31. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

NEC was done a bit poorly not to mention, they mentioned forming services of Empire and Lake Shore Limited when in real life they use another locomotive ,sleeper cars is not even in the game and they travel through the tunnel leading next to the Hudson River.....and dont get me started with the Amtrak stopping at Secaucus Junction in the game(TOTALLY inaccurate in real life).....and the East River tunnel they used was inaccurate(going from New Rochelle to Newark)