Raildriver Is Getting Closer - Settings In Latest Update But Disabled

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paul.pavlinovich, Dec 16, 2020.

1. stavka

stavka New Member

I hope we can have an option to disable the raildriver usage ingame menus. Some trains hardware controllers are completely unlogic and far away from matching with your raildriver layout and its a messy.
    I want to still use TSW2 with keyboard and mouse.
    For now it detects and enforce you to use it in an unplayable way!

2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Just because the raildriver is now enabled will not stop you from using the keyboard and mouse. If you want to continue using the keyboard and mouse you can still continue to use them..

3. stavka

stavka New Member

yes, but it keeps reading raildriver levers position and mess with my driving, flickering controls etc
    Only because i have joysticks and raildriver connected not means i want to use them on this sim. It should have an option to disable it on menu.
    It looks like a a kind of lazy developing unity game were it detects all usb joysticks/driving wheels/gamepads at the same time and all fighting and conflicting each other. Some even with menus rotating all the time because detected the gas pedal (thats not centered) of the driving wheel.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  4. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I have not notice any issues as of yet and I have using both the raildriver and my keyboard and mouse along side. Would suggest sending a support ticket and provide as much detail as possible for DTG. Things for me have been great so far, but that is not to say some may encounter issues.

5. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

Keyboard and mouse work just fine for me while RD is connected. I'd suggest you clean your potentiometers with contact cleaner if yours keep jumping.
    Or you can just unplug the RD usb cable when you wanna play with the keyboard, not a difficult thing to do...

• Like Like x 1
  6. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

Also, might as well add to the bugs tracking.

On my setup:
    The 423 - the horn gets stuck on when you move the lever down (low note), while moving the lever up doesn't work at all.
    The 442 - the sifa doesn't work (button makes pedal press three times but doesn't cancel the alarm and train applies emergency brake), the wiper control puts on the lights as well as the wiper while the lights control does nothing.
    The 406 (ICE train of the Cologne route) - also, lights and wipers get activated together from the wiper switch
    The Bakerloo line 72 stock - the throttle controller is not well calibrated for the raildriver lever, requiring putting the lever in the awkward "in between" spot to coast, could be better - as it is on other trains, it's pretty much spot on perfect on the TGV for example. Also, weird door button mapping on that one, why is it not the D pad left-right as in other trains?
    If you load into the middle of a service (by using the "load last checkpoint" option) the door buttons stopped working on the 442 (they still worked fine with the mouse)
    Also, the 442 doesn't have the increase/decrease tempomat mapped to anything. I'd think that the "Range" rocker switch is a natural for that, isn't it?

Can't wait for LIRR and the Double Decks to get support :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

The Raildriver is nice, and if you can get one at the normal price, no it is not over priced. It just costs that much to make stuff like that, especially for a niche market like a train sim. But there are better options if you want something that is more generic for use on other games like flight sims as well.

I've been using a Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and up to 3 Saitek throttle quadrants for years to run TS (using Cobra One's software) or TSW (using my TARGET Script to run just the Warthog - Link here--> Thurstmaster Target Script For Warthog Throttle + Saitek Tq Profile | Dovetail Games Forums). The Warthog costs a lot more than a Raildriver, but is has much better build quality, feels way better to use, and is an excellent throttle for flight sims of course. There are several other companies making amazing throttle quadrants that are just as nice - though yes more expensive than a Raildriver. Or the Saitek Throttle quadrants are inexpensive and perfect for a budget. In TS, having 12 levers to control the UP FEF Steam engine is just bliss.

Anyway, when they get DirectX support going, we can all finally celebrate a feature we've been asking Dovetail to support in game for over a decade. Thank you Dovetail! I am finally going to go buy TSW2 and try it out.

8. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

PI Engineering are building more from what I can see on their website.

Paul

9. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

You should be able to use HOTAS from what I understand from the streams of where this implementation is going. That said, the RD is price comparable to a HOTAS with a similar number of inputs. I do agree that if you're also playing FS then the HOTAS setup might be better for you. I find RD works for me because I use it across all the sims I play, which just happen to all be train simulators :).

PI Engineering don't seem to change the price much over the years, if anything it as come down as I seem to remember buying mine for about US$250 when I worked in America, that was back in 2001 and it has lasted all this time and still works perfectly. Like my tools, I'm happy to shell out good money for something that is robust, does the job it is designed to do and keeps doing it for what will be 20 years in a few months. They're US$199 now direct from PI Engineering although the shipping from USA will be painful because its pretty heavy. Before the lurgi took hold I was travelling from AUS to USA once a year at least but that's on hold at least until 2022 or possibly even longer and could have brought one back for a fellow Strayan:).

Paul