Test My Tram Route Please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deanmacgregor, Dec 23, 2020.

1. deanmacgregor

deanmacgregor Active Member

Hi, I'm working on a tram route "Portham Metrolink" it requires

Brighton mainline
    WCML South
    Liverpool to Manchester

I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to test it and give me any feedback please? This is not finished, just early access for opinions on what I have so far and the overall feel of what I'm working to achieve.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aE2S2Nhhz4gAs_dzLAgl-80V8Q9g3eYr/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  2. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

How critical is Liverpool Manchester? I have the other two routes. Will it just miss scenery or will it not run without it? If the former, I’ll be pleased to give it a go,

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I'll give it a go later. I'll send the google drive request now. Oh.. it's changed. I clicked on it earlier and it was private. Ok... downloading now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. deanmacgregor

I think the liverpool to manchester is critical as it gave me the rails only track

5. Pookeyhead

Video is encoding... will post a link when it's done.

OK.. no idea if anything (assets) is missing or not, as I have no idea what state of completion it is in, so I'll let you have a look and you can tell me. Initial reaction is looking OK so far. The physics are a bit wrong though I think. It accelerates like a stabbed rat! LOL... it's faster than my car :) Brakes don't seem to work until -28% and it actually starts to accelerate at -10 with the brakes still on. It's hard to maintain slow speeds as a result. Doors wouldn't open at one platform.. you'll see which. Couldn't seem to switch directional indicators off, but I'm not used to the vehicle so that may be me. Also, the physics may just be the way the model is, and it's not yours, so maybe there's nothing you can do about that.

rails could do with setting lower into the road surface too, as they seem to float, and would normally be flush with the road.

Could do with ground textures in the more open areas varying a little... plus clutter.

No OHLE equipment later towards airport, but I assume you know about all of that.

Windows could do with being a little less opaque.

Looking good so far though if this is work in progress.

Are there only free roam scenarios? Couldn't see anything on the QD menu.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Pookeyhead

YouTube is still encoding HD as I write this, so give it a little while.

7. Pookeyhead

I'll try other sections of the route later.

8. Pookeyhead

Overall "feel" is good. Kind of got that redeveloped urban centre vibe down well. At the start, reminds me of Manchester a bit.

9. junior hornet

Liv - Manc is on offer for 5.99 on Steam so I might get it anyway. It seems to be a requirement for several freeware routes. I’ll let you know when I have tried your route

• Like Like x 1
  10. deanmacgregor

Thanks so much, hope you enjoy it.

11. junior hornet

I’ve just had a play and it is certainly an encouraging start. I don’t know how far you want to make the route, being as it’s fictional but you may need to vary the scenery a bit. What there is near the beginning is good, though it has the feel of a Lancashire town in the 60s rather than a modern day (fictional) Manchester but then, this may be the intention. A bit of each would be ideal. It looks good anyway. The descent into the tunnel seems a bit steep, although light railways can handle steeper gradients than conventional trains.

I am impressed by the Metrolink unit. It’s a while since I have travelled on the real thing but it certainly seems convincing. No doubt the Manchester locals will tell you exactly how accurate it is. It accelerates very quickly. 0 - 60 faster than my car! Again, I don’t know whether this is intentional.

Get the scenery fleshed out and the route a decent length and you have a winner I reckon. Try not to increase the DLC requirements too much so as to maximise the number of people able or willing to download it. For a freeware route, I think you are OK to use more generic scenery. It’s finding the right balance between this and making people shell out for DLC which they may not be willing to do.

Well Done.

• Like Like x 1
  12. deanmacgregor

Very nice and helpful review thanks, I will attempt to address these issues in the next version and I will try not to use any other asset collections, thank you.