German Loco Technical Question

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Franck69, Dec 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Franck69

Franck69 Member

A curiosity, I appeal to everyone but especially to the conducting experts of the German loco.
    Traveling with AFB active I noticed that if I have the acceleration lever is off, and I move the AFB lever to reduce the speed, the electric brake is activated, but it should not remain unchanged until I move the acceleration lever also to give the right power for electric braking?
    Specifically, I am addressing the BR185.
    I hope I made it clear, in case I apologize.

2. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

That's the correct way. Power lever is just used to limit the amount of thrust AFB can use. So you can leave power to 10% and AFB won't accelerate using more that that. Electric brake is not limited by power lever.

Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Exactly. The electric brake always follows the same braking curve. You can apply brakes yourself which should disable the AFB brake appliaction since your direct input overrules AFB.

• Like Like x 2
  4. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Aaaah wait, wait... BR143 had a small lever to control the traction/brake efforts as well as several AFB modes. As that engine is normally AFB driven maybe there you can tune it. Honestly I have not used 143 for months, due to its sound issues.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Yes, you can. As the Br 143 is solely AFB driven and not build to DB standards, its AFB works slightly differently.

• Like Like x 2
  6. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Remember you can still manually control the engine with its notch control if you want. This will allow you to drive as in the case of the BR155. The notch control is the lever to the lower right of the traction panel. The keyboard shortcuts are Ctrl+R and Ctrl+Shift+R. To enable this the main AFB lever needs to be set to max. To disable it simply set a new position in the main AFB lever.

This locomotive is one of my favourites. I hope they fix it sounds soon as it´s a pity that is silent now :(

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  7. Franck69

Franck69 Member

Thanks everyone for the answers.

• Like Like x 1