Chicago "l"

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ZeenozPlays, Dec 30, 2020.

1. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

So I recently made a suggestion video on the CTA Red/Purple/Brown lines for TSW 2.

I think these busy (Subway?) Elevated Lines would be a great addition to TSW 2. Tell me what you think about this suggestion.

• Like Like x 11
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I think this would be a good idea and with the system being 30 miles, this should be douable. I see no performance issues either if this route were to be made in the far future

• Like Like x 2
  3. ZeenozPlays

Exactly. And maybe we'll get to see the new 7000 series rolling stock

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. tallboy7648

That train looks nice

• Like Like x 4
  5. ZeenozPlays

Yeah, It's the newest addition to the CTA Fleet. It gives me NYC Subway R211 vibes.

• Like Like x 3
  6. tallboy7648

We could use more subway routes as well

• Like Like x 3
  7. ZeenozPlays

Yup. I think I'm going to stick to only NYC and London for now though. People support those ideas much more.

8. Nidhish Inumala

Nidhish Inumala Active Member

Beautiful. True, but as a person living in Chicagoland I do quite love riding on the L. And please, don't do the Red Line- we want to see Chicago. (Admittedly all the places underground do look cool)

• Like Like x 2
  9. ZeenozPlays

I mentioned the Purple and Brown in this video as well. I like the Red as it runs along the Highway, and the Purple has some cool Express sections. The Brown line is also great as it runs Elevated through the loop in Downtown Chicago.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nidhish Inumala

"Welcome aboard this Purple Line Express Train to wherever it goes"

• Like Like x 1
  11. ZeenozPlays

When I watched the CTA "Ride The Rails" video, I saw that it had some unique service patterns with some trains ending early,, and some going through the loop.

• Like Like x 2
  12. tallboy7648

Having the loop modelled would be cool

• Like Like x 2
  13. Nidhish Inumala

Exactly, I was just looking at Chicago (Naperville is around where I live) in The Crew 2, and it looks stunning. Hopefully they do one of the Loop routes. I was also thinking they can do Metra services, so you can operate say a pink line train to wherever, and then change over to operating a Metra service.

14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Some great suggestions. However, DTG would need a license from CTA and they were unable to get one from Metra a few years ago for the Racetrack.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tallboy7648

Maybe CTA will be open to give a license. You never know

• Like Like x 1
  16. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Possibly, but, someone correct me if I'm wrong, are not CTA and METRA part of the same umbrella organization- RTA or something similar?

17. Nidhish Inumala

I don't think so, Metra is independent whereas CTA is a consortium (Kind of) of Chicago bus services and Chicago "L" Services (Including the red line, which is a bit more of "u"). Other services are not part of CTA, like Metra, and Chicago Water Taxis, which are all owned and operated by different companies. I would further believe that they are separate (Though I should know since I live outside of Chicago) as both run on completely different track, but their gauges are different. However, Ventra cards can be used as fair on CTA, Metra, and Pace, which I think are all separate things. That is basically Chicago's version of Oyster, which is much different as all Oyster services (You can't use oyster on National Rail, right?) are owned by TFL.

18. ZeenozPlays

Hopefully they are open to it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. HotdogDay#5435

HotdogDay#5435 New Member

This would be fun. The Red and Purple lines are in the process of being completely rebuilt between Belmont and Howard, and the Brown line is getting a fly-over built at Belmont. Construction is scheduled to be done in 2025, so unless there is the demand to simulate an older period, it might be a while before they want to look at those lines.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HotdogDay#5435

Yes and no. The CTA, Metra, and Pace (suburban bus service) are all a part of the RTA, but the RTA focuses on collecting and distributing the transit sales taxes and doesn't get into operations. CTA, Metra, and Pace operate independently from each other. There have been several proposals to consolidate everyone into one large transit agency like the MTA in New York but that always turns into a Suburbs vs. City tug-of-war that never goes anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Nidhish Inumala

(to say the least at the end). It also doesn't help that this is the US where having a Ford GT (No bias) is the most important thing in the world. Since you won't see too many people using it, it also makes no sense.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I would certainly like to see your suggestion implemented in the game at some point.

23. tallboy7648

Having a Ford GT is not the most important thing in the U.S or at least in NYC which is where I live. It could be in some parts of the U.S although I'm not aware of that

• Like Like x 1
  24. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Didn’t know you lived in NYC. My favourite city in the world.

• Like Like x 2
  25. tallboy7648

NYC is a good city although we are in a huge debt, crime skyrocketed last year and taxes are too high.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Nidhish Inumala

Ok yes, my point was that people in the US (at least in the suburbs where I live- Naperville outside of Chicago, both Illinois) would prefer using a car or taxi (driven further by Uber, Lyft, and others) rather than going in a bus or train. I have really only seen people use a car for short distances, and a plane for long distance. (I fly from Chicago to San Francisco on United just because they let me fly a 777, much better and quicker than taking some sort of Amtrak across the country, but it would be cool...)

• Like Like x 1
  27. tallboy7648

Of course people would need a car to get around. Trains and buses don't go everywhere and a car would be easier. But when you said Ford GT, it had me raise an eyebrow because those cars are rare, impractical and expensive

• Like Like x 1
  28. HotdogDay#5435

Yeah, don't want to derail this thread about post WWII US urban and transportation policy but I could talk for hours about how awful it was.

Another thought, a 1950s-1960s Era L route would be cool.
    The skyline wouldn't be as interesting as today but maybe L freight operations might make up for that.
    [​IMG]
    There certainly are enough historical documents, aerial photos, and neighborhood photos to get an idea of how things were then.
    Pretty sure the Illinois railroad museum has preserved some of these historic L cars and freight locomotives that can be investigated for modeling.
    (bonus if an electrolier run between Howard and the Loop can be done https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroliner
    [​IMG] )

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  29. tallboy7648

Sorry but I don't support a historic Chicago subway system at all. I perfer a modern system

• Like Like x 1
  30. Nidhish Inumala

"Rarity to say the Least". I disagree with both of you- I think it should be around 2015 where old trains were very much still a thing, but not as old 20th Century (Maybe even Early 21st)

31. BlackTabby

BlackTabby Active Member

I am on board with the Chicago L, as long as it includes the 5000 and 7000 series, but I actually think the Pink Line would be the best for TSW.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  32. ZeenozPlays

Not sure about the Pink. I mainly suggested the Red/Purple/Brown because of the Express sections and the parts where you are in the median of the highway. I would love to see the 7000 series in the game though. Those trains look niiice.

• Like Like x 1
  33. BlackTabby

BlackTabby Active Member

Actually, I'm just happy as long as the 7000 series are in the game.
    I would want to put the 7000 series in the livery creator and to give it a grey front like the other trains.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  34. HotdogDay#5435

Orange would be a good addition. It is the newest and one of the fastest lines. Some rush-hour brown line trains become orange line trains when they get to the loop so there is operational overlap already. This will also let the simulation use Federal Junction:
    upload_2021-1-5_13-52-34.png
    This is used when there is a service disruption on the state st subway and the red line is diverted to the elevated through the loop. Would help create variation in scenarios since people want more "random events" instead of recreating a virtual commute over and over.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Nidhish Inumala

I like driving along the highway part.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Nidhish Inumala

Can we just have a mega package of all the lines?

• Like Like x 2
  37. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

I would just like a route in chicago I am from Milwaukee area but when I went to chicago it was beautiful riding in I-93 going there it was cool I even have photos from chicago

38. HotdogDay#5435

You'll love the Blue line. It runs in the median of 2 interstates on both sides of the subway.

• Like Like x 1
  39. ZeenozPlays

The chances of DTG doing this are so low... which is sad.

I wish we could get full systems in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Nidhish Inumala

#Airport Line

• Like Like x 1
  41. Nidhish Inumala

To say the least

• Like Like x 2
  42. tallboy7648

We can only dream. If dtg were a bigger company and had more money, then maybe we could actually get a full system like the Full DB S-Bahn Rhein-Rhur network with all of the full lines in one package instead of getting a couple of lines that are not even the full line route

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  43. ZeenozPlays

If only...

• Like Like x 1
  44. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

I'm partial to the Brown Line myself as it's the route I grew up on (back when it was known as the Ravenswood Line). I like how it cuts through neighborhoods so close to buildings. Back when they ran the old 6000 series cars which didn't have air conditioning, you could sometimes catch smells of cooking bacon in the morning from the kitchens right off the tracks through the open windows. All those buildings may take a toll on graphics memory though, IDK. Also as it shares tracks and stations with other lines, I don't know how you would layer those lines in to make the services more lively. Has a short run at grade with a few crossings but runs most of the way on elevated tracks. It's short mileage wise, but a trip from the Kimball terminal around the Loop and back would probably take a little over an hour.

Red Line is good a longer route that probably takes about an hour from one end to the other. Runs elevated, subway, and in highway median. It also shares some track and station with with other lines so maybe same issue there as Brown.

Blue line might be a good compromise. It is the longest route, takes about maybe about an hour and fifteen to an hour and a half end to end. It runs between highway medians probably for most of its journey but also some elevated and three different subway tunnels (including Downtown under the Loop). It runs independent of the other lines and does not share track with any other routes. It is also the only route that has a subway terminus (at O'Hare Airport, site of the infamous crash into the escalator!).

The sounds of the L I think are an integral part of the experience, especially over the steel elevated sections where it roars loudly. Fortunately CTA as provided videos of all of their routes from end to end on YouTube. Hopefully they would be willing to talk over the licensing. I think any urban transit system would be willing to talk if it meant a few more pennies for them.

• Like Like x 2
  45. ZeenozPlays

I agree.

And about the sounds, I definitely think the hard metal *CLANK* sounds on the Elevated parts need to be included. With me being from NYC where we also have those steel elevated tracks from the early 1900's that make the hard *CLANK* noise every time a train goes by, I would be kinda upset if they weren't there. That sound just adds more life to everything.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Nidhish Inumala

I love the clank noise- I am still young and only rid it when I was around 6 and didn't even live in Chicago with my family but I loved hearing that noise.

• Like Like x 1
  47. ZeenozPlays

When I was younger, it used to annoy me sooooo much, but now, I love hearing it. This is why I'm always talking about "TRACK NOISE".

48. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

That would be I-94 Milwaukee to Chicago if you want the DLC for it the train version for Interstate 94 Newark to Chicago it will Amtrak Midwest Chicago to Milwaukee The Hiawatha it uses SC-44 that requires Adblue fluid in addition to diesel fuel. Passenger coaches are Amtrak Horizon Fleet similar to Train Sim 14-20 NJ Transit Metro-North Comet I-IVs and Shoreliner Coaches. Now in the process of getting Siemens Venture coaches which is seen in Train Sim 15-21 as ÖBB Railjet coaches.
    Back to the topic of the Chicago elevated Dovetail games can add in 1969-1975 era train sets 2200 & 2400 series trains as DLC Trains. Those were retired in 13-14 and wiki link to rolling stock is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_"L"_rolling_stock

49. ZeenozPlays

I'd honestly want them to do something in the modern-day, just so we could potentially have the new 7000 Series Rolling Stock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

50. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me then and if Chicago EL fans wanted an older DLC train then that's where the 2600s & 2400s will come in since those were assembled in the years 1971-1987 complete with a dedicated Scenario. LIRR offers an Older DLC train the M3