Amtrak Aem-7 Retro Pack

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by Daniel Gibbs, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

Like all the other portions of the NEC, the newly released NEC: Washington to Baltimore Route is set in the modern era. It includes the ACS-64, the Acela Express, the MPI MP36 (Unbranded), and the P42DC and different coaches, most of which are in Phase V. While an AEM-7 (only in Phase V) is already included with the NEC: New York to Philly, I would like to send a proposal for an EMD AEM-7 Retro Pack to improvise the NEC for different eras. The Retro Pack would include the AEM-7 (with and without ditch lights) in Phase III (with a blue frame), Phase III (with a black frame), Phase IV, Phase V (without the wave logo), and Phase V (with the wave logo). Additionally, it would include Amfleet I & II coaches and a variety of Heritage Fleet coaches in Phase I, Phase II, Phase III, Phase IV, and Phase V. The locomotives shall also include new features compared to the one included with the original NEC, such as flashing ditch lights, flashing strobes, etc.

Based on the Swiss SJ Rc4 electric locomotive, the EMD AEM-7's were built by Electro-Motive Division between 1978 and 1988 to replace the aging PRR GG1's and NH EP's. Originally, the GE E60's were to replace the aging locomotives, but they failed miserably at high speeds. The AEM-7's, on the other hand, proved successful at high speeds. In fact, they reached a top speed of 135 MPH! Amtrak ordered a total of 54 AEM-7's. 2 of them were wrecked and several others were damaged by fire in later years. While the AEM-7's were common on high speed regional trains, the E60's often hauled the long distance trains that used aging equipment. On occasions though, AEM-7's were seen on long distance trains until the E60's were finally retired in 2004. Up until their retirement in 2016, the AEM-7's were the workhorses of the Northeast Corridor and the Keystone Corridor. They worked the corridors hauling both regional and long distance trains along with the HHP-8's, which sadly proved to be unsuccessful and unreliable.

Between 1999 and 2002, 29 AEM-7's were rebuilt with AC traction motors and were re-designated as AEM-7AC's. The remaining ones were designated as AEM-7DC's or simply just AEM-7's.

By the 2010's, the AEM-7's were still reliable and still going strong, but were showing their age. Because of this, Amtrak sought plans to replace them and the HHP-8's. Amtrak ordered 70 ACS-64's to replace them. The first ACS-64's entered service in February of 2014 and replaced the HHP-8's first, then the AEM-7DC's, and finally the AEM-7AC's. The final AEM-7's were retired in June of 2016.

Following retirement, 2 of those workhorses have been preserved: #915 is preserved with her partner, E60 #603, at the Railroad Museum Of Pennsylvania. Sister #945 is preserved at the Illinois Railway Museum. Sisters #928 and #942 were moved to the Transportation Technology Center in Pueblo, CO in 2017. Sisters #929 and #938 were purchased by Caltrain to test their electrification system once completed. Numerous others are either still in storage on Amtrak property awaiting disposition, or have been scrapped.

• Like Like x 4
  2. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I like it. It'd be nice to have a new AEM-7 in TS with more features then the previous one.

3. CJM21292

CJM21292 Well-Known Member

hey dont forget the acela regional capstone scheme and the e60MA 6097259354_f2cba10596_b.jpg AEM7_3_GPancavage.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. Daniel Gibbs

Unless someone beats him to it, DTM is planning on doing the E60 someday, but there's no telling when.

And I actually referred to the bottom pic as well. Phase V without the wave logo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

I think the AEM-7 model needs a revamp, it's really old, like Kuju ES44 old. For now we have some Phase III, and IV toaster models, but they're pretty mediocre.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daniel Gibbs

Yeah. The AEM-7 included with the NEC: New York to Philly is very outdated.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ArTrailfanRaf214

ArTrailfanRaf214 Member

E60 would be a nice addition to the new NEC route, about the AEM-7 i do agree the sounds need an update, interior is also very outdated.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daniel Gibbs

DTM is planning on doing the E60 unless someone else beats him to it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CJM21292

wait forreal dtg is planning on making the E60MA?

10. Daniel Gibbs

DTM. Digital Train Model.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Any idea what's keeping them, the E60 is among my favorite electrics.

• Like Like x 2
  12. CJM21292

this is something that should've been made a long time ago but i hope they make Acela Regional Amfleets with them

13. ArTrailfanRaf214

ArTrailfanRaf214 Member

And the Metroliner rolling stock including the Budd Metroliner CabCar.

• Like Like x 1