Dovetail Sort It Out

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by dustybins, Dec 25, 2020.

1. dustybins

dustybins New Member

You need to pull your fingers out and stop giving such half ass attempts bit cheeky to go round calling your game a simulator when you haven’t even been able to put announcements on trains nor even put the correct display boards on the class 377’s.
    Also are you going to charge for class 313 on east coastway once it’s finally been made considering it should be included already?

• Like Like x 2
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Erm a little bit salty and troll worthy...
    Can you name any other mainstream sim that includes on train announcements, don't think you find that in Trainz, MSTS etc?
    As regards the 313, why should DTG not charge for it, they are not a charity and are doing this to put a roof over their heads and food on the table same as any other company? You as the customer have to choice to buy or not or you can always wait until the sale when you can buy it for the price of a couple of beers.
    Happy Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 19
  3. jack.a.varley04

jack.a.varley04 Well-Known Member

1 if you listen to the devs you will notice that they won't pit announcements in the game so you can make them yourself.
    2 the class 313 will cost money its an add on if you have a problem with it don't buy it

• Like Like x 4
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Ah, the christmas troll rears it's head...
    Of course there'll be a charge for new stock. DTG are a company, not a charity

• Like Like x 12
  5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

DTG are a company and need to make a profit. Sure they can make the 313 free but they need money. As for announcements, if a game like OpenBve can have clear and perfect in train announcements, then dtg can surely add announcements.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Everything in OpenBVE (or BVE itself) is scripted and presumably just plays loops of sound rips from the real locations. Much harder to incorporate in a dynamic environment with multiple trains, destinations etc. I guess they could try something like the new MSFS has done for ATC but that TBH sounds very synthetic to me.

• Like Like x 2
  7. tallboy7648

I play openbve nyc subway and the train announcements are clear and crisp and authentic. If that can be in openbve, then dtg can do that in tsw especially with the resources they have at their disposal

• Like Like x 2
  8. RWMatze

RWMatze New Member

but...

Thats the problem with this community. You can easily observe that they often come up with the same excuses for DTG that they cant do something for "charity" and that they are a business and need to make profit. On the other hand they do nothing to support the community so they can put in content by their self. Its just my opinion but i think the state that we have now we are going to have for a very long long time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I partially agree. Openbve has crisp/clear announcements (At most times). But TSW is in a totally different engine, it might be difficult for them to set up points along the line for announcements to play. I would love to have the LIRR, BKL, and East Coastway announcements though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ZeenozPlays

You would've been better off going at them for saying "Authentic/Accurate"

Yes we all want announcements on trains, and we are patiently waiting for it. We will get announcements... eventually. I think they said they were trying to figure out how to get certain announcements to play at certain points.

Now, for the 313. Just no. Pay for it.

11. tallboy7648

I'm sure they are capable of doing it though. They always have a trick up their sleeve to improve the game sometimes

• Like Like x 1
  12. tallboy7648

That is true sort of. Scenario planner is cool but it's very limited on what we the player can do. Not to mention you can't share scenarios compared to other games when it comes to sharing user created content

13. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Language please, dustybin

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nidhish Inumala

Nidhish Inumala Active Member

The 313 is a add-on, not a donation to the community as a Hanukkah/Christmas/Kwanzaa/New Year's Gift.

Edit: Add the word "Late" to it, and add other holidays

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Oo7 BELL 7oO

Oo7 BELL 7oO Active Member

Dovetail has said that they cannot do platform and on-train announcements due to Copywrite of the train operating company so unfortunately we will not be seeing this in the future.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. ZeenozPlays

I do remember them saying that, however, 'recently' I remember them saying something about trying to get the announcements to play at certain places along the routes.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

I believe that they've said its more about coming up with a system whereby if they put announcements on a route, they can easily put them into any other route fairly simply. They don't want to do what they've done many times in train sim classic where they added a feature to one route, which was never used again in any other route (which I agree with).

18. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Having passenger announcements on trains and stations is totally possible, it's on our list of things we want to accomplish.

But, is it the most important thing for us to focus on?

We don't believe it is. At present our primary focus is on improving game optimisation so that we can get more running smoothly for those with lower technical specs at their disposal, and bringing Preserved Collection up to the same level of functionality as releases made after the release of TSW2. Obviously we have more going on as well, but there is only so much time available and we try to base our decisions on what will benefit the most players.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. ZeenozPlays

It definitely isn't the most important thing, I agree with that. While I do want to see (hear) Automated Announcements on the trains that should have them, I'd rather the game run smoothly first. Then you can start rolling out features like that for future routes (Kinda like what happened with the Countdown Clocks/Next Train Boards).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...nice to hear about DTG’s efforts in game optimization for older consoles- that should benefit plenty of folks here (incl me) that run on these older systems. But... what I wouldn’t want to see are those speed improvements coming as a result of removing visual (perceptible) detail rendered in the sim... that would be a bad trade in my book. Instead, let it come from true optimization of the code to yield the results you’re after... and not impact the visuals as a result.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  21. tallboy7648

Optizimation hopefully will come for last gen consoles soon

22. Nidhish Inumala

Yes, I play on the 1S and I need some more FPS- I can't even manually honk a horn right in front of me for a train just because of how slow it is.

• Like Like x 1
  23. migueld

migueld Active Member

World of subways - London Underground has announcements, the post was indeed a little too salty but the fact that they haven't added announcements yet is ridiculous. People keep saying it has to do with licenses, but that just doesn't make sense. They can get licenses to build an entire train produced by real companies as well as authentic routes, but they can't get a license for a little voice saying what the next station is? It just sounds like laziness to me...

• Like Like x 3
  24. tallboy7648

It does sound a bit silly that they can get licenses for routes and trains but can't get a voice in the game saying what the next station is. DTG can do announcements and has said that themselves but apparently it's not something that a whole lot of players see as a priority hence why it hasn't been done yet. I believe though that announcements would be a welcome feature by a majority of players so I don't see the harm of doing it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. DTG Protagonist

I don't recall that having been said.

• Like Like x 1
  26. ZeenozPlays

All I remember is something being said about you guys trying to program them to play at certain points along the lines. I believe it was said during a Roadmap Stream.

27. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I believe the reason is that they just don’t have a system to play announcements yet and when they make such a system they want it to be easy to implement into any route, like the PIS system they have recently done. It’s one of those things that they just haven’t got round to yet because there is an endless list of things to do. Speculation time now... I reckon they might get round to it this year, you never know.

• Like Like x 3
  28. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Try Post #18
    Post #25, short memory!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  29. DTG Protagonist

The quote was that apparently DTG didn't believe players didn't think it was a high priority, and that's not what I said. I said that we didn't believe it was the highest priority.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Nidhish Inumala

Ok, I got it. Now do you think that it is of higher priority?

• Like Like x 1
  31. tallboy7648

Optimization is a very important thing for the last gen consoles and I agree that should be a high priority but would you say it's a higher priority now? Yes I know it's not the most important thing in the world but announcements would make things more realistic on alot of the routes and improve immersion. It's strange playing on the Bakerloo line and not hearing in train announcements

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  32. DTG Protagonist

Yes. 60% of players are on last generation consoles, and the game currently pushes right up against the limit of what's possible without turning it into a slideshow. It's not just high priority, it's the priority. It'll be beneficial to all players and ensure we can add more features in the future.

• Like Like x 7
  33. Nidhish Inumala

Understood, thanks for telling us

34. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Yea thanks