Savegame Editing

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by kalteVollmilch, Jan 3, 2021.

1. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

via some cloud service conflicts, I ended up with 2 copies of my savegame, each one with different services done or not done (e. g. one savegame has the 363 services completed, the other one the TGV services). Now I want to merge those 2 files into 1, even if it means some copy-pasting of data and whatever.
    However, I have 2 problems:
    1) which savefile is my profile? There is TSWSaveGame, TSWCheckpointSave, PP_something, ... . Does anybody know which file is the relevant one?
    2) how to edit this file? I tried saveeditonline.com and while it opened some of the files I thought could be correct, the content seemed to be incomplete and did not really make sense to me.

Does anybody know if this is possible and how it's done?

2. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

PP_something is your profile relevant file. About editing it, I don't know. For sure is not a plain text file, you probably need some sort of hex editor.

3. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

All your profile relevant files (collectables, progress, rank, completed services, medals, dovetail login, etc) are the following six files. Avoid deleting them and make a backup periodically in a safe place as you could use them to restore your profile:

Profile.jpg
    Angel is my profile user name. You will have yours. The PP one is the real key file. The BAK I think it´s just a periodic backup of the PP itself that game creates. Anyway I always keep those six files in a backup to be sure. If you have multiple profiles then multiple PP and BAK files will appear.

Then:

- TSWSaveGame: is what saves your game when you manually save it in the menu option.

- TSWCheckpointSave: is what game automatically saves when you complete tasks in a scenario or service. That one allows to restore to a previous step if you pass a red signal or derail for instance, which leads to game termination. Game allows you to try again from last checkpoint, which is this special savegame.

Those two files are updated everytime you save or everytime game saves. Deleting them is possible as they don´t store anything relevant except your last gameplay.

There may be yet more files with long string names. Those are the repaints or scenarios you create with the editors. Also backup them to a safe place to avoid losing them.

But what you want to do is not possible without editing files as Trenomarcus said, as you have two versions of the same profile data set. Just take the files pack with the most progress played and restore it replacing the existing files in game. You will need to continue from there again and repeat the TGV progress. Remember that you will lose any collectables from routes explored you may have in the TGV file pack. The ones in the profile with the 363 services will be kept if you use that file pack.

I have no idea how to edit files and I wouln´t experiment with that as you may corrupt your data.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  4. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

In principle the .sav files can be edited. I managed to read the scenario planner files and recreate them from the data inside. For the profile data this is a lot harder to to and there is a fair bunch of binary data that I de not understand and does not seem to have any structure. I am interested in doing some work on this, though I definitely will not try to create a profile editor.

The next version of ToolkitForTSW will contain a scenario planner editor, but it will be limited because it should not make the game crash, e.g. adding a stopping point is risky if it is not in the predefined list.

5. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

There is already Scenario planner editor which is working well - https://mods.trainsimcommunity.com/...d-2/c19-patches/i106-scenario-save-editor-v12

And for the profile, its just basic unreal .sav file, so its easy to edit every variable there.

6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member