Awesome Tsw Service Mode Runs

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JustWentSouth, Dec 4, 2020.

1. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

Nice work everybody! Just paying this thread some attention after hearing Matt mention it on a replay of one of his streams. Hoping to give some of these a go over the holidays.

• Like Like x 1
  2. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Rhein Ruhr Osten

Quite a short run, only about 20 mins.

16:32 Petroleum-Wuppertal-Langerfeld Yard > Wuppertal Steinbeck Yard

You follow another goods train in front so it’s yellows all the way.
    There’s also a lot of parallel running with the S-Bahn services.
    Controlling the fuel tankers down the steep gradients is also fun and requires quite a bit of concentration.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread. Now you went and made me buy Rhein - Osten! :)

• Like Like x 6
  4. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I got it in sale this week- Short but very sweet and the extra services it adds to Köln-Aachen is like having two DLC for the price of one!

Only thing they need to do is smooth out those gradient changes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. patput

patput Member

I completely understand that inciting chaos yourself isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the results are quite fantastic. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, a "one of those days" option that can provide a low priority run with lots of slow/interrupting traffic around would be fantastic. I've always much preferred driving trains that are constantly chasing yellow or being put into the hole for a higher priority train to go around - the variety and edge-of-your-seat nature it provides is fantastic.

• Like Like x 3
  6. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I took this 4 part recommended tour of RRO. Great runs on a route I had overlooked since TSW2. I had forgotten how much I like the scenic variety, parallel running, and diverging lines in RRO.

I appreciate the scenario recommendation - a great exercise in PZB limits, though I didn’t know what mode to select for a light freight loco. I chose M to keep things interesting.

Also, it was long past time for me to face the whole wrong line procedure I had been carefully avoiding. This tutorial by Trenomarcus helped me finally understand it:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2074178080

• Like Like x 2
  7. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

Any idea how long the wait time is at the start?
    I'm doing that one now, and so far, I've waited for about 15 minutes.
    It's now 10.08 in game, and its starting to get boring...

Edit: Turns out I only had to wait a few minutes more.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I think it‘s 15-20 minutes with all layers.

9. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

Here's another lovely service, the S3 Depot Move on HMA at 12:23.
    This service is very unique, first off the journey begins in the large Pasing depot (Rangierbahnhof und Güterbahnhof). It's a non-stop service to München Hackerbrücke.
    On this journey you'll encounter a bunch of reds as the S-Bahn in front of you is a regular stopping service. You can literally see that S-Bahn outside your cab window the entire time. You're basically trailing behind that S-Bahn because the distance between block sections is so short. It's good fun!!

• Like Like x 8
  10. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

w.lichko Oh thank you for the S3 depot move reminder, I've had fun with it and now I know the correct one to run it again tonight :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. osiegmund9

osiegmund9 Well-Known Member

6E16 on TVL from Darlington to Lackenby Steel Works. You start and wait for a class 101 departing in front of you so you have a lot of red and yellow signals in front of you. Also a red signal because of a crossing train. A great fun :)

• Like Like x 8
  12. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I recently replayed the LIRR "Maintenance Maneuver" scenario and I strongly recommed it for several reasons. First one cause the M7 is a really nice looking train :D Second because LIRR itself is one of the most complex routes in terms of required driving skills and route knowledge and in the scenario you also need to face uncheduled stops and multiple routes over switches which is perfect to practice and understand the ATC operation. And last but not least it also includes some consist splitting and shunting at the depot which is unusual in the rest of services we have. This is a really interesting scenario.

TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping 2020-12-31 18-33-44.png

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  13. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 17
  14. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Excellent work, LeadCatcher. Thank you for taking your time to compile the spreadsheet as I use it often and it makes TSW that much more enjoyable. Have a wonderful New Year.

Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  15. JustWentSouth

For those inclined to chaos, this one is a personal favorite:
    HMA Eastbound Chaos

Launch with the Cab Car 766 in service 57901 starting at 05:54. You need to sit and wait for the 6:26 freight. Watch the sunrise, see the station night lights go out, and when the ICE pulls out at 06:22, your ride will appear on the right:

HMA Chaos EB.jpg

It is service 85802 due to leave at 06:26. Get out of the regional and walk back around the backhoe to climb into the freight. Once you take over the freight, the regional will leave. Depending on when you let the freight go, westbound traffic may delay your start. The regional takes about 30 minutes to get to Mammendorf. You may deal with more adverse signaling if the regional has issues just beyond Olching. You may also have issues at Olching and beyond as you approach Munich.

At the end of the service, continue on free roam to make your way further east and you may catch an ICE depot run or deal with just spawned westbound freight traffic.

All told it takes about 75 minutes; most of them busy. It's a really good run.

This potentially works with other services out of Augsburg such as 57109, 57023, 57031, and 57039. None of those are quite as busy as this one, though.

• Like Like x 7
  16. eurocityboy

eurocityboy Active Member

Huge kudos to JustWentSouth and LeadCatcher ! Very useful thread and spreadsheet.

I have some additions for Northern Transpennine:

NH04/NH05 [Class 08]: The only runs via the Newton Heath - Red Bank Line
    NH09 [Class 40/45/47]: The only run via the chord at Miles Platting. Driving from the No 2 Cab
    NH10 [Class 40/45/47]: If you are just a few minutes late leaving Huddersfield, you will be held up at Ravensthorpe for a conflicting move
    Saturday Special [Class 101]: Following another train almost the whole way from Leeds to Stalybridge

Spawn on foot not required for any.

• Like Like x 3
  17. JustWentSouth

My wallet just got lighter! Time to try some UK action.

By the way, on my HMA EB chaos run last night, I encountered this signal and haven't been able to figure out what it means. Anyone know?
    HMA Signal.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. eurocityboy

You'll need the BR Heavy Freight Pack too, just FYI. It's well worth it, especially on sale.
    I think that "signal" might be a bug, I don't recognize it as any valid DB signal aspect.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bassman612

bassman612 Member

This depot move was great for seeing how the 'moving block' works with LZB. If you follow the LZB speeds, you see the S-Bahn just ahead loading passengers at one end of the platform while you are stopped at the other end. It really shows how LZB is used to get trains running closer together; it's not just for high speeds.

• Like Like x 5
  20. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Just a small hint as I always think exchanging info here is good to understand real railways: LZB is not a moving block system. A CBTC is a moving block, as there no physical blocks exist on the line and trains themselves create the block around them as they move along the line. CBTC is used at many subways around the world and is needed there as trains run really close to each other and you can achieve small arriving intervals at the stations with it.

In LZB you still need the track circuits to detect the trains so there are still fixed blocks in the line. In CBTC trains report their position via radio and that allows to use the moving block concept. But as LZB is able to update the permitted speed to trains or to stop them more precisely that creates the effect you describe which is similar to what you would see in a CBTC system.

I like that service as well as you due to the traffic ahead :) It´s interesting when you need to adapt yourself to the traffic conditions.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  21. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

The fact that this thread exists speaks volumes for the sim in its current format. The fact we need a list to find the interesting bits speaks for itself

22. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I wouldn't necessarily criticise the game for this in particular. Every route has a simulated 24-hour cycle with multiple "gameplays" running at once and only AS a community can we possibly explore everything and find combinations that do stand out. You can, of course, go to HMA, test all 600 services, test them again with some delay and see if they are interesting... or you can talk to the people here and find out what they bumped into.

• Like Like x 6
  23. eurocityboy

Personally, I don't have a problem with a simulator/game (there, I said the dreaded g-word!) in which rare and unexpected things happen rarely and unexpectedly. I think different players expect vastly different things from TSW, and DTG has to somehow balance these expectations. Could they do a better job at it? Yes. Do I envy their position? No. I think more customization options are the way to go in the future, so you can make TSW as predictable or unpredictable as you personally like it. (that's how Zusi 3 does it already). There just isn't only one type of TSW player out there and one person's boredom is another person's relaxation.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  24. bassman612

bassman612 Member

Thanks for the information. I didn't know LZB isn't a true moving block system like CBTC is, but it does give the feel of one as the trains run pretty close together. I Iearn something new here everyday.

• Like Like x 2
  25. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I find the thread just like many threads in many flight simulations where enthusiasts share interesting airports, or challenging approaches or nice scenery to fly over. I feel your comments speaks volumes about your attitude toward the simulation, that you find sharing of such information as a negative where most of the contributors see it as a positive.
    To each their own, but I appreciate those that are willing to take time to share their experiences they find noteworthy. Heaven knows there are enough threads for people to complain.

• Like Like x 15
  26. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

6E33 Tees Yard - Eastgate

In this freight service, I used a Class 31 (just one engine on this) to do 6E33 starting at 12:12 on Tees Valley Line. On your way to Darlington, you will be following a Class 101 that will be stopping at several stations on your path.

Do the yard tasks but don't do the last couple task until Thornaby station platform 1 shows a caution aspect (it will probably be this way anyway unless you did all the tasks/switches really fast). The station is not far from the yard in the direction you will be leaving. Shortly after 12:23 it showed caution for me and I coupled. Look out on your left for the 101 to pass by that will hold us up. ;)

There will be a wait at the yard main signal displaying danger so get ready for that. Its aspect will take a short while to clear as the 101 progresses. So I was all set to go around 12:28. 8 miles from Darlington I started getting the caution aspects having been close to the line speeds. The service took me an hour to finish.

There are other services leaving Tees Yard but I found you have to wait longer for a 101 to take priority so I recommend this one. Class 101 services end at Darlington on the same platform as your freight finishes so you have to be careful with the first overhead signal in the building (it doesn't show any aspects regardless of status). In the case of my suggested service it had already left by the time I arrived but I have had it catch me out on other services.

tl;dr Do the last couple task when Thornaby station shows a yellow on the map and leave the yard after the signal there lets you at approximately 12:28.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  27. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

This thread made it to social media!
    Screenshot_20210102-090739_Facebook.png

• Like Like x 15
  28. eurocityboy

Sand Patch Grade [TSW2] Service No. I368 departing Rockwood at 14:57 [AC4400CW, GP 38-2, SD40-2]: Running on yellows part of the way. Setting out cars at Cumberland Recieving Yard. Spawn on foot not required.

• Like Like x 2
  29. JustWentSouth

This was a great run. I loved the delay until the 101 passed by, thereby creating a bit of chaos - I am a bit of a connoisseur of that. :)

After tons of miles in German routes, I must admit that this was my TSW2 foray into the UK. I look forward to more. I also can't wait to drive the 101. I love the gears and I am a huge fan of lap brakes. Thanks for posting this!

• Like Like x 2
  30. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I found an interesting service on the Bakerloo Line. The 9:30 service from Elephant & Castle to Queens Park. You follow another train that departs E&C before you. The best way to experience this is to spawn on foot at E&C at 9:25 and head to the northern platform. Your train will arrive in a few seconds. Wait until it finishes loading passengers, then take over the service. I recommend waiting with the doors open even before the service starts to help with being on time. This is an interesting service due to the fact that you have to be very careful of the signals ahead of you, lots of yellows, and a few reds.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

RSN DB81901 Steel to Honenlimburg (BR363 DLC) departure time 14:50
    It starts like an ordinary freight drive, but once you dropped your train in Hohenlimburg the fun starts. Please, have a lot of patience, the signal will clear eventually ... I will not reveal the details, just try. I used the wonderful BR155

20210104101711_1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. playthoseblues

playthoseblues Active Member

Great Western Express - 4V38 Dagenham Dock to Didcot with the Class 66 starting at 1557.

I played this one last night, really good fun, quite a bit of traffic including two or three HSTs plus additional 166s. I seemed to be tailing a networker turbo down the line leading to lots of yellow signals. Had to stop twice for reds! I had to drive fairly gingerly so as not to get caught out! Play with autumn cloudy weather for more atmosphere.

• Like Like x 2
  33. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

That was a brilliant run. Treating them as one run makes for an enjoyable variation stopping while the vans at the back are swapped out by the 08. Then back on to the rails for that ravensthorpe encounter, which actually I can't remember being taken along that path before. Recommend winter clear or partly cloudy as you get to watch the sky changing colour through the dawn.

• Like Like x 2
  34. involvedmass

involvedmass Member

Interesting service, although I guess I was quicker because I was not delayed at all.
    Although someone was waiting for me at the end... :)

35. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Same here. Stuck to PZB mode U etc. and still was slightly too quick. Maybe I should drive a little slower:D

36. JustWentSouth

I wound up running it with the 182. I uncoupled at 15:30 and the signal stayed red. After a lengthy but enjoyable wait rail fanning, the "surprise" came. Didn't think that happened on RSN. Thanks for finding it, Rudoph!

• Like Like x 1
  37. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Another interesting scenario, and very realistic from the operational perspective, is "Technical difficulties" in Rhein-Rurh Osten route. It involves dealing with a panto failure, changing pantos and also changing locomotives, plus several good signalling operation. That route in general is very well designed for freight operations lovers and full of potential for future expansions. And it´s also very nice in terms of decoration ;)

Important: this scenario currently has a bug in the instructions flow. After train stops due to the failure you need to release the emergency mushroom button (on the left side) before rising panto and closing circuit breaker or you won´t be able to complete the task and get power on the leading loco again. This button action is missing in the instructions but is the one used in game to simulate the emergency brakes application due to the panto failure.

TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping 2021-01-05 19-40-59.png

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  38. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

SW1500 Caltrain one play the extra 01 prepare the special train if you finish switching the wagons on 10 mins then you will be a following a train a tiny bit upload_2021-1-5_21-26-35.png

39. osiegmund9

2C09 on ECW Class 377
    you start at Newhaven Harbour Marine and with some yellows to Brighton. Quit rare that you start at the harbour.
    Enjoy! :)

• Like Like x 2
  40. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

All of the ghost trains serving Newhaven Marine are quite fun and interesting, but I remember one of them being cooler than the others when playing TSW2020 thanks for finding what it was exactly :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  41. JustWentSouth

I have decided to finally learn how to drive on the left hand track and take on the UK routes! I have owned ECW and GWE far too long without really trying them.

Thank you for posting this. I will make this my ECW introduction. The thread recommendations compiled by LeadCatcher are a bit German heavy- just like my TSW experience; it is good to see UK recommendations come in.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  42. osiegmund9

I am from germany but I like all the routes in TSW because every single route has something unique :)

• Like Like x 2
  43. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Found anther one.
    Munich-Augsburg, BR423 S3 depot move departure 12:23 For this one, turn at least LZB on. You can experience how this works. When, after a rather long wait, the yard exit signal clears you are just behind another train and you constantly need to adjust speed according to the LZB instructions.

• Like Like x 4
  44. atpyatt

atpyatt Well-Known Member

My favourite Bakerloo line services so far:

06:11 Harrow & Wealdstone - Elephant & Castle:

The first part of the journey is routine but as long as you can keep within 2 minutes of the timetable you will find yourself waiting for another service to leave a platform and then you will be following it closely for the rest of the journey. You will experience a lot of yellow and red signals and there is a chance of having a SPAD at various points if you aren't paying attention.

10:32 Queens Park - Elephant & Castle:

You start in the sidings and will need to wait for two services to go ahead of your train. You will then be closely following another service, if you can keep to time you will see numerous yellow and red signals. There are 1 or 2 points where you will SPAD if you aren't paying attention.

11:52 Stonebridge Park Depot - Stonebridge (actually goes to Elephant & Castle, the description in game is wrong):

Again the start of the journey is routine but you will soon find yourself held at red behind another service for a few moments. You will then be closely following the other service seeing plenty of yellow and red signals if you are quick off the mark. As with the suggestions above there are several points where you can actually the see the train ahead of you stopped in the next station.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Great Western Express, Class 43, Service run 1A05 from Didcot Parkway to London Paddington leaving at 7.49!

Very interesting run, following closely behind another HST, that will stop along the way (not spoiling where though, so be careful ;) ).

• Like Like x 2
  46. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

The Caltrain "Santa Clara Saviour" is also a very nice scenario. You need to pick a train with a failure using a pair of shunters which is a very reallistic operational situation. Even if not required by scenario it´s a good oportunity to do a quick after coupling checklist of some of the systems from the damaged train, such as HEP or the whole F40 engine isolation to ensure all is correctly set. It´s also a nice situation to practise the multiple unit configuration on the shunters as well.

If you want to play around with the F40 HEP you need to activate the battery first.

TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping 2021-01-11 19-09-07.png

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  47. osiegmund9

1C13 from London to Reading on GWR with the HST Cl 43. You start right behind another HST and follow them all the way to Reading. A lot of yellows, but also a lot of reds. Attention, I made a SPAD :)

• Like Like x 2
  48. JustWentSouth

I enjoyed all of these runs. Thanks!

It is hard to stay on time, especially in the above ground section, and the signals can seemingly be anywhere. I found myself switching cab views often to see try to see them better. Like all routes, local knowledge is required to run it well.

There is plenty of SPAD potential here and I got caught a couple of times, including once where I misinterpreted Red over a Yellow thinking is was just restricting. Is there a guide to Bakerloo signaling?

• Like Like x 2
  49. atpyatt

atpyatt Well-Known Member

According to this: http://www.trainweb.org/districtdave/html/london_underground_signaling.html, I don't think you are supposed to ever get a red and a yellow on the same signal, although you could get a yellow repeater signal only a short distance in front of a red

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

If this hasn't been answered.

UK Intermodal runs at 75mph
    Empty aggregates can run at 75mph with the right wagons.
    Full aggregates are Class 6, 60 mph

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1