Train Sim World Discussion - Discord Server

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Anthony Pecoraro, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

In France, a B3 runs at around € 7,000 (with Leslie).
    On the other hand, Viscount or Allen style liturgical organs cost between € 4,000 and € 6,000.
    Rather, it is the place I miss. A liturgical with pedals, you have to be able to put it.
    My 88-key piano and the multitude of sounds takes up less space and is more than enough for me.
    With all the passions I have, music, train and truck simulation, and 3D and nature archery, I have something to keep me busy.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

I haven't met a single person in my life that genuinely likes trains that wasn't an absolutely lovely person at heart. It's a special band of brothers and sisters, often with a number of other shared passions, whether that is real ale, bell-ringing, bird-watching, model-making, music, or whatever.

In the real world, the knife-crime rate in the train enthusiast demographic consistently rests on the floor, at around 0%. This is an official statistic that is replicated across all countries with rail systems - it's in the Jane's World Railways Appendix No. 239 - you can look it up....! ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deebz__

Deebz__ Well-Known Member

This means preemptively banning people for breaking no rules. Your server is a joke.

4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

That isn’t true.

5. Deebz__

I'm living proof lol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Plastic Pal

In defence of Anthony - if someone wants to set up a space on Discord to chat about any particular subject in any particular way, and have complete control of the content and membership, then that is completely their right.

And if people want to join a discussion group that is carefully controlled so that the only discussion that is allowed to take place occurs within extremely narrow pre-defined boundaries, then that is their right. And such people shouldn't, in my opinion, be upset if they get excluded for saying the wrong thing, or for straying off the "Party Line", or for upsetting the person that has the power to exclude them from the group - you know beforehand what you are signing up to. It will be a space for an extremely limited number of people that want what is on offer - obviously this won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Some people actively want ignorance. And as the saying goes, in a book that I once read: "Ignorance Is Strength" - and I am sure we can all take some comfort from that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Deebz__

I mean I literally broke zero rules. I asked if anyone knows of a way to make headlight flares show from a bit further away, got an answer, and then was banned.

8. Plastic Pal

Oh yes - well.... you see... headlight flares... that's a really touchy subject. You should have known that something like that would upset a few people before you made such a loose comment about it, before getting permission to broach the subject, from the proper authorities.

You can't just go around making subtle accusations that the lighting isn't absolutely perfect, as already provided. That sort of criticism is likely to get you banned from lots of places.

Just be very careful when talking about lighting in future.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Deebz__

My sincerest apologies good sir, I shall endeavor to do better in the server that actually allows people to discuss stuff.

10. Plastic Pal

Yes...! That's much better...!

Look, if you find yourself in a situation where you are thinking about asking a question, then you know that two things have probably gone wrong:

1. You could be in danger of starting to think, and even worse, thinking for yourself
    2. Questioning things makes it ten times more obvious that you are thinking - it's the first sign of subversive rebellion and sedition.... thinking plus questioning almost always leads to trouble

Just accept everything as it is, and you will be fine. Why change things?

• Like Like x 3
  11. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

I notice that I was banned from your server, but I was not given a reason.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Deebz__

Surely you must be mistaken. He clearly said earlier that people don’t get banned for no reason, without breaking any rules.

Clearly your example, my example, and other people’s examples of this exact thing happening are wrong. :)

Imagine the tyranny if this joker Anthony gets elected as the new community manager. LOL

• Like Like x 4
  13. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Well, we got trump as the president... If that isn't any indication that anything is possible... I don't know what is. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  14. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, do you like trains?

15. Anthony Pecoraro

Of course!

16. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Don't we all like trains

• Like Like x 2
  17. Anthony Pecoraro

Server has been deleted.

18. JohnnyK98

Ah, and I just joined it last week.
    Sad.

19. Anthony Pecoraro

It's because pretty much everyone got toxic after the Q&A stream.

20. JohnnyK98

Yeah, I understand. I really wanted to be a part of a community, and hop into a live voice chat and just talk to others while driving trains on my days off work.
    Looks like I'll continue to lurk here on the forums, and ride by myself. ;)

21. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

It's a pity you felt it necessary to delete the server. However in your own words,
    Why do you think that may have been? Don't you think that DTG might have some sort of responsibility for that reaction because of what was said during the stream? Why do you think so many people are disappointed, it can't just be that they are all haters.

• Like Like x 6
  22. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

I am sorry Anthony, but it wasn't getting toxic, a lot of community members were disappointed with a lot of the answers in the Q&A and feel let down by DTG. You on the other hand were on a 180 opinion of the rest of the members at that moment of time, if that is your interpretation of Toxicity, then I am not sure if running a community is for you. I don't wanna sound harsh, but you need to accept other people have other opinions, and also, please just interpret the Q&A answers as they are, we have heard that an editor is coming many times before, why would it be true this time? I wan't to see it before I believe it, but I guess that's where our opinions differ, which is fine by me.

• Like Like x 7
  23. Deebz__

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  24. rare_common_sense

Anthony Pecoraro It was doomed anyway.. As you don't take to people who don't share your sentiments very well. It's just an echo chamber to TSC.

While on the subject of Toxicity, you think defending certain ill practices actually helps, when it does the exact opposite. That's toxic.

As usual, You fail to understand that you can support something, and still have VALID, HONEST, and CREDIBLE opinions and criticisms about what is wrong, or could be better. As you seem to do on nearly every forum of sorts, find reasons within yourself to object to as many valid opinions/arguments with other people are well within their right to have them.

Clearly, by the recent announcement, you've been, along with many others, were lead on all this time to believe something was possible in a game, that they are NOW admitting, wasn't. And now they are effectively telling you all of the content you threw away money at, will not receive further support, a newer version that you will have to pay, to get features they promised in the first version.. And for some reason, you STILL can't see why DTG's credibility is in question here?! Many of us who have arguments are not doing so just for the sake of trolling or looking for a reason to hate on a company. We want them to be upfront about what is actually possible. Because their integrity is pretty much shot at this point.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  25. Anthony Pecoraro

My server was actually very successful. We had a bit over 100 members and there were lots of discussions.

26. Plastic Pal

Hang on.... you actually deleted your own server....? Really....? The one that you had completely bespoke control over, in terms of acceptable content, membership, etc.....? And yet it still breached your toxicity meter....? Really....?

Wowsers.

• Like Like x 7
  27. Anthony Pecoraro

It only got bad after the Q&A.

28. rare_common_sense

Well, it couldn't have been all that successful if you had to delete it. Numbers don't mean much if you can't moderate properly. You as a top moderator of your own server should have been able to regulate it or do what those other power-trip moderators did in the TSC forum. So, I stand corrected.

• Like Like x 3
  29. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

Thats why Im leaving the forums for a few days or for ever it's just getting more toxic

• Like Like x 1
  30. Plastic Pal

Okay. I think that this is actually extremely revealing. This could be one of the most important bits of feedback that DTG could ever get, so I am flagging this to DTG Protagonist. And the feedback is that:

- you had created a discussion group with very explicit and narrowly defined limits on what amount of criticism of DTG was allowed during the discussion ("to prevent toxicity"), and anyone that tripped your potentially fairly sensitive thresholds was removed from the discussion group by yourself and/or your chosen mods;
    - this would have reduced the membership to only those people that were prepared to continuously and arbitrarily praise every action undertaken by DTG (and this was reduced to about x100 people)......; but...
    - following the Q&A stream... even this highly select group became dissatisfied... to the point where there was nobody left in the group at all that wasn't "toxic" about DTG (according to your thresholds)..... other than maybe yourself...and you then deleted the server....

Obviously the above is just my understanding..... but nevertheless... it is quite profoundly revealing, about the reception given to the Q&A stream.... and everyone's general response to it..... don't you think...?

• Like Like x 5
  31. Anthony Pecoraro

That isn't the case.

32. Plastic Pal

Ah, okay. I will take your response at face value. My understanding (based on the information available to me) is wrong then.

So... are you thinking of setting up another Discord server, anytime soon....?

33. Anthony Pecoraro

Maybe after I see how people are after TSW2 releases.

34. Deebz__

Then what is the case? Based on what you have described, and what is known about your server, sounds like Plastic is pretty close.

By your own admission, you “keep the toxicity out”. Judging by the sheer number of people who say they have been banned from your server for no good reason, there must be a pretty strict threshold for what is acceptable and what isn’t. This would be especially true if you even appointed mods from TSC like someone said here.

Now after a Q&A stream which showed without much doubt that Dovetail is a company that does not care about its customers or stand by its products, suddenly the general opinion of the game among the community is so bad that you would sooner close your server than ban enough members to keep order.

Sorry man, but the pro-DTG echo chamber you are wanting is less possible than ever now, and that is something you can truly thank DTG for. One of the few things they deserve to be thanked for, honestly. Seems you already recognize this though, of course.

Oh sure, the balance will be maintained. Most of the angry customers will leave, and what we’ll be left with will be primarily composed of unquestioning fans like yourself, and brand new customers who don’t yet feel screwed by DTG, but will with time. The critical voices will be a minority again for a while. The cycle will continue, and Dovetail will keep getting away with what they do. At this point, I genuinely hope some company comes along and gives stiff enough competition to put DTG out of business.

Honest question, would you continue to stick by DTG if another company was making a better train simulator?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  35. Plastic Pal

Okay. Well, if you do, good luck with that (genuinely)...... But I would offer you other advice, which is:

- don't bother with another Discord (although obviously do whatever you want, when you want....);
    - stay here, and be an active member here, as your views are just as valuable as everyone else's, and actually, quite a lot of the time you provide very useful information, albeit with your interpretation (which is fine); and,
    - try to be a bit more tolerant of the wide range of views that you get here, or at least, whatever you think, try not to get upset or annoyed by things that other people think/say.

I'd also add that if/when you make a short statement of fact (as you see it), it would be useful if you could add a little background that backs up your view. But this is purely a matter of writing style... so do feel completely free to ignore me on this (and... LOL... I am sure that you will....) ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  36. Anthony Pecoraro

By the way. I'm fine with constructive criticism. I don't approve of bashing. There was constructive criticism in my server that I was fine with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

So what made you decide to close the server rather than remove those that fell short of the standards you set?
    I mean it's entirely your decision, but Isn't that "cutting your nose off to spite your face" or "a sledgehammer to crack a nut" or whatever analogy you may apply to something that seems excessive.

• Like Like x 4
  38. Anthony Pecoraro

It was more than I could handle. I wouldn't be able to control it myself.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Plastic Pal

Wowsers. The contrary opinions, within the group, were that strong, eh? Wowsers.....

• Like Like x 1
  40. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Well, it's a good thing I left the server before the stream. Didn't want to know how negative and chaotic that would look.

• Like Like x 1
  41. davit.vardanyan.2018

davit.vardanyan.2018 New Member

42. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

Interesting that's a different one from Train Sim Community that's been around for a good long while with 3000 members:
    https://discord.gg/CfjkgEct

• Like Like x 2
  43. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Agree. Not really sure what the point of having a second server is, especially when the TSC is a friendly and popular server.

• Like Like x 1
  44. rare_common_sense

Ha. That's hilarious. It's pretty much a fascist ran server. They banned quite a number of members, myself included, for having valid/objective opinions. Granted, some folks may have gotten out of hand with their criticisms, but some, like myself, have spoken with conviction, honesty, and as much respect as possible, and yet they seem to have felt threatened by that. But they have to appease the Employees of DTG who are apart of the server. It's moderated by folks who seem to think suppressing those opinions is in any way helpful. Doesn't matter how many members there are in any server. And there's certainly nothing wrong with having a different server that people can voice valid opinions without severe consequences.

There were/are a couple of mods there who are pretty chill. Other ones, not so much.

• Like Like x 4
  45. Anthony Pecoraro

My server has a few people who were banned from TSC.

46. pev.cookie

pev.cookie New Member

Huh, I've been on TSC for a while now, and still haven't seen any unjustified bans.
    Also, there still is a lot of valid criticism and opinions from even the mods themeselves, so unless the server changed drastically, I don't see your point.

• Like Like x 1
  47. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

You don't understand, making a server into a toxic cesspit shouldn't be punished.

Yes there was a few bans for people being extremely negative in the past. I'm as critical of DTG as the next person, yet haven't been banned for my views. However if all I did was drag myself and everyone else down, then I'd expect to not be welcomed into the community.

48. rare_common_sense

Then you must have just joined in very recently. Because A lot of people were axed from the server. Whether you see my point or not, is irrelevant. I know what kind of place it was when I was apart of it. Maybe it has changed, or people have just adjusted to tiptoe with their views. Whatever the case may be, there's nothing wrong with having another server for people who have something to say without feeling like they're walking on eggshells constantly.

• Like Like x 1
  49. pev.cookie

pev.cookie New Member

That's probably the case, I've also been told by some friends of a purge that happened before I joined.

Absolutely, I didn't at all mean to say TSC is the only good Train Sim server, because that's just not true. There are plenty of other nice server around.

50. Anthony Pecoraro

Like mine! Feel free to join. :)