Northeast Corridor Nyc - Philadelphia Remake

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by CJM21292, Jan 4, 2021.

1. CJM21292

CJM21292 Well-Known Member

The New York City - Philadelphia section of the Northeast Corridor was created almost 10 years ago but in comparison to the other NEC route (New York - New Haven and the recently released Washington DC - Baltimore routes) the scenery quality is not up to par with the other NEC routes as far as how far away can you see objects like for example seeing the Manhattan Skyline from Newark Airport which can be seen from there in person. Also Catenary structure is almost correct but theres many different styled Prr catenary along the line like these for example jersey ave.jpg (Jersey ave) Njt-new-brunswick.jpg (New Brunswick) IMG_1889.17065338_std.jpg (Frankford Junction in Philadelphia,Pa) Picture_015.170111256_std.jpg (Rahway,NJ) These are just some of the styles Between New York and Philly. If this route was to be remade I have few suggestions aside from the catenary, downtown Philadelphia also known as Center City the skyline is almost accurate but you're missing Liberty Place (the two blue skyscrapers that look similar to New York's Chrysler building) philadelphia_cc.jpg should be placed as well as they are one of the tallest skyscrapers in Philadelphia. I do recommend that the northern most starting point should be Sunnyside Yard in Queens,NY as the yard serves both Amtrak and New Jersey Transit. As for equipment I also recommend that the Aem-7 needs to be remastered with illuminated strobe lights on the roof as well as illuminated number plates on the front and rear of the locomotive as well as both Ac and Dc units. Theres 2 other electric units I am recommending on the behalf of the Ts2021 community because these 2 units have been in high demand since the route was released back in 2011 and that is the GE E60MA in Amtrak's Phase III livery and the Budd Metroliner in the PRR, Penn Central, and Amtrak phase I and phase II liveries. As far as Amtrak passenger car I recommend the Amfleet I in the Acela Capstone livery for the Aem-7 and Phase III Livery for the E60MA. Now for commuter rail trains I am recommending the NJ Transit Arrow III with the original Stenmann pantographs in both married pair and single MU cars. Another NJ Transit train I am also recommending the ABB ALP-44 with Comet II passenger and cab cars for push pull service between Trenton and New York City. I know that theres no licensing for Septa but I am recommending unmarked GE Silverliner IV and Silverliner V mu cars for service between Philadelphia and Trenton.
    In conclusion I know that there were some changes made to this route back in 2016 but I feel this route needs a complete makeover because this is the busiest section of the Northeast Corridor and it needs better representation. (Rail equipment photos will be on the comment below.)

• Like Like x 7
  2. CJM21292

Aem-7 DC unit with Acela Capstone Amfleet I cars AEM7_3_GPancavage.jpg
    E60MA with phase III Amfleet I cars 6097259354_f2cba10596_b.jpg
    Budd Metroliner in Amtrak Phase I and II liveries as well as Penn Central img_36701.jpg img_36702.jpg img_49809.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. CJM21292

NJ Transit ABB ALP-44 img_20379.jpg img_103760.jpg
    Amtrak Aem-7 AC AEM7AC_939.jpg
    NJ Transit Arrow III MU with Stenmann Pantographs img_103757.jpg NJ Transit Comet II img_20390.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. CJM21292

Septa Silverliner IV SEPTA_Silverliner_IV_402_on_the_R7.jpg
    Septa Silverliner V unnamed.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this, and I did in fact at one point attempt such a project, but it has fallen behind some other more important ones. I think if you want to represent a route properly, you should focus on a little of the commuter roads and a simple ACS-64 and Amfleet I would suffice.

Northeast Corridor: New York - Philadelphia Route Add-On: $39.99
    (Rename the old one but leave it on Steam for those who still want to purchase for Workshop scenarios).
    - ACS-64, Amfleets and Metroliner Cabcar (take the TSW model).
    - ALP-46 with Comet IV and Multilevel
    - unmarked Silverliner IV (modify the Arrow III model) 70% of the EMU roster is in IVs.
    - NS/CSX GP38-2 or whatever and Kuju 2.0 freight stuff.

Later on, these could be your usual $20 DLC expansion packs.

Northeast Corridor Heritage Pack: $24.99
    - AEM-7DC in Phase III, IV, and V
    - AEM-7AC in Phase V
    - Amfleet I and II in Phase II, III, IV, and V Capstone.
    - E60CP/H in Phase II
    - E60MA in Phase III
    - E60 in NJT Livery
    - Various Amtrak Heritage Cars, most likely those from the E8 and P30CH DLCs.
    - Amtrak Material Handling Car, Phase III and IV
    - Arrow III (Steinmann varaint and no ditchlights)
    - Orange Amtrak GP9 (possibly) and the basic MoW set as seen below:
    99401040_zsh_1.jpg
    New Jersey Transit ALP-44 Locomotive Add-On: $19.99
    - ALP-44 in NJT "Disco" scheme
    - Comet II Coach
    - Comet II Cabcar

Philadelphia Commuter Silverliner V Add-On $19.99
    - Silverliner V in a default Red and Blue stripe livery.

This is basically what I'd see happen with the DLC plan.
    EDIT: I decided a good extra would be a new Arrow III, with the Steinmann pantographs as mentioned in CJM21292's original post, but with no ditchlights either.
    [​IMG]

Here's a little extra of what could be for scenarios.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  6. CJM21292

Thats not a bad plan but I just hate when they recycle trains that have already been made unless they have a new feature.

• Like Like x 2
  7. VictorHugoVS

VictorHugoVS Active Member

I liked it, there are definitely routes that need a remake, and this is one of them. I have no problem with reusing trains that already exist on one route, maybe they can bring a DLC for the train and when someone buy a route that use that train, win the DLC, like Class 800 with ECML South.

• Like Like x 2
  8. NEC Railfan

I understand what you mean, it frustrates me as well, but it's ultimately the business plan that benefits DTG's requirements, they tend to focus more on route quality than rolling stock, so they'll slap whatever they have on board at that moment.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CJM21292

thats true but if they were to do it I would say the era it should take place in is the late 1990s to 2001 (pre 9/11)

• Like Like x 1
  10. NEC Railfan

Most of the market likes modern stuff for some reason, the money is at ACS-64s and Acelas (I think the reason for simulation is to have the experiences of years past). I would say that the heritage pack would be great for those who want to backdate.

I would love to see something like this to be honest.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Honestly, unless they create an extension of the route or relocate the points of origin to make things like Workshop route merging possible, I otherwise don't see a reason for them to work on that for the time being. They are going to be more interested in creating new content, and there is a lack of American content as it is compared to UK, so they are going to try to cover more areas that are new instead of remaking what they have.

As I note with cases like North Wales Coastal, which can be extended to Preston or Shrewsbury to meet other DLC end points, that is the kind of thing that would make a re-released new version more viable as a product. Look at Portsmouth Direct Line. It previously ended at Woking at a little over 2/3 of its size. It now goes through Clapham Junction to London Waterloo and could be merged through other DLC end points, like South London Network, to create a mega route, or to Chatham Medway Lines to utilize the Longhedge "B" Junction on a longer drive. The more larger routes like this that we have, the more options that exist from a route creation and scenario building perspective. I suggested Sutton and Mole Valley Line for this exact purpose, to get south of West Croydon and Straetham on those lines to meet at Sutton and continue onwards. Merge that with Portsmouth Direct Line and South London Network. That's three huge termini stations that can go down the line to Horsham. Brilliant.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  12. CJM21292

oh that phase III Aem-7 is a must

• Like Like x 1
  13. NEC Railfan

The North Jersey Coast Line DLC is actually a great place to start off for such a New York - Philadelphia route, as it already goes to Rahway from New York Penn station, that's around 1/3 of the route already. And it's compatible with NYNH - Danny made a merge at one point.

All that's necessary now is Rahway - Philadelphia, and a route from Philly - Baltimore, where the newly released route begins. In theory, one could run an AEM-7 electric from DC - New Haven with such a megaroute, just in real life from the 1930s to 2000, (service north of New Haven was provided by F40PH locomotives before electrification to Boston).

Another feature to add would be the last railroad crossings south of New York, all in Maryland and Delaware.

-Red Mill Road, Newark, DE
    -Sandy Brae Road, Newark, DE
    -Michaelsville Road, Aberdeen, MD
    -Knecht Avenue, Baltimore, MD
    -Hillmead Road, Glendale Heights, MD
    -Glendale Road, Glendale Heights, MD
    -Seabrook Road, Seabrook, MD

(Railroad crossings still remain north of New Haven).

Here's a video of the old Toasters and E60s blowing away.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Cyclone

Funny you say that; the Humble Bundle included this route, and I later added Morristown. I am also familiar with Danny's merged routes and know he did something with NJCL in the Workshop. I also know merging NYNH with the Hudson Line he has deemed to be impossible due to differing origin points. I will be curious to see if the new Washington route gets merged.

15. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

1: Danny has done merges with the Hudson Line, did it fairly quickly after release as well, so I'm gonna assume that you meant Philly to New York.
    2: He's not said it's flat out impossible to do, it's just that routes with the same origin are way easier to merge as they're aligned correctly off the bat. A merge with the old NEC route with New Haven and the others isn't impossible, it's just that you'd need to spend a lot more time reworking areas.
    That ain't gonna happen in the near future, there's no other places you can merge it with logically. If the efforts to extend the line to Philly actually gain some steam then maybe merging it with with old NEC could be done, but that's a big if.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  16. NEC Railfan

• Like Like x 1
  17. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Mhm. Talking for myself only now, but I suspect I'm not alone. Point is, it can be resolved.
    I prefer modern stuff because it operates the best and offers the best view. Also, most stuff is modeled, so I don't want another skin of XYZ loco, I would prefer to see stuff that wasn't modeled yet. The Charger, the New Acela, to be on topic. Maybe, due to underuse, some of the local trains (M36PH?).

Steam engines are a fair bit of work, need to be fired manually (F4 HUD in my case), and have a terrible view, which is actually bad game design. I'm supposed to stand in front of the window, not in the middle of the cab, looking forward. Shift+2 is the only useful view with steamers I've come across.

The AEM-7 is technically modern in my eyes, but the view is too small. Kinda fixed it with the TS2020 field of view settings, but the below issue has also arisen.
    Since TS2021 turning my head 10 degrees results in sound panned to only one ear. So I must look forward, or in case of some engines, a bit to the inside. I was driving some old engines earlier by turning my head so that I'd look out the side window (accepting some panning). Not an option anymore. So the GG1 or AEM-7, despite I like them, shall not be played.
    (Yes, reported, yes, after providing additional info there is the usual silence treatment. Hopefully they fix it for TS2022 anyway.)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  18. Cyclone

19. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

You're thinking of the New York - Philadelphia route, it has a different origin point then the other NY routes, so it's out of alignment and needs more work. So it can be merged if you're willing to put in the extra time and effort, however with the newer routes being both easier and just overall higher quality nobody has done so thus far.

20. NEC Railfan

I have amazing news guys, the same group that made DC - Baltimore is planning on doing Baltimore - Philadelphia, however, there is no estimated date of completion, but track testing will be publicly shown by cactusjuice tomorrow @ 3:30.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Cyclone

Now I'm curious.

22. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Guys please keep in mind that my Facebook group didn't make DC - Baltimore. I was hired as an individual to lay the track, do the terrain, and make the career scenarios for it. It's a DTG-owned route entirely.

The extension to Philadelphia is something I am involved with, but not something I am spearheading.

Also, DTG is NOT involved with nor sponsoring the extension to Philadelphia.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  23. kiranmims7

kiranmims7 New Member

We also need the keystone Cab Car for TS21

24. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I'd certainly welcome an update to the route, but if I had to advocate for something NEC it would be for a route to connect Philly with Baltimore which would enable Acela runs from New Haven through to DC (across multiple scenarios of course). OR extend the NEC from new Haven to Boston so you can have runs from Boston through to Philly.

• Like Like x 3
  25. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

The Amtrak AEM-7 DC can receive reskin into SEPTA AEM-7 2301-2307 since SEPTA operated AEM-7s to December 2018 alongside ALP-44M 2308 which is a Reskin of NJ Transit 4420-4431 alongside Comet IIs & Comet IIIs SEPTA 2400s & 2500s. If up to date Amtrak ACS-64s 600-670 can receive reskin into SEPTA ACS-64 901-915

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  26. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Cyclone I agree with some of the points you made as far as adding to the NEC in the way the PDL was done with the Waterloo extension. If they had to redo the NEC, which is sorely needed. I would say they could maybe even do the Keystone to Harrisburg, since the Philly Extenstion is already being done by members of the TS community. But also as was mentioned. Working off of the NJCL from Rahway would be much better, as it would match the quality that is in the WAS-BAL section.

I know this more than likely is an unrealistic thing to expect of DTG, as that section of the Keystone corridor itself is 104 long. But it would be wonderful to see more faster paced pax ops for North American content being done.

NEC Railfan Great points you made earlier in this thread as well. Something I would be totally behind.

• Like Like x 1
  27. CJM21292

it would make sense to do an extension from rahway to philly

28. NEC Railfan

I would wait until the freeware DC-Philly route is released, then we could do it to make the entire PRR main line from New York - Washington DC.

• Like Like x 1
  29. CJM21292

hopefully it happens

30. Cyclone

As a note, from that post, there was actually a version of Sutton being worked on. v2.2 is at ATS right now. But I still think DTG should consider taking the project and building on it with the routebuilder’s help to make it a proper DLC. Connecting Redhill to Horsham allows for a nice route network, with the Sutton route having the Redhill connection and the main path south of Straetham.

On topic, I look forward to a full route project being completed someday with proper signalling. I wonder if the new TSW2 NSC bit is also in this project.

31. benhhng

benhhng Member

Also I think the NYC-Philadelphia line should make the freight lines near the Trenton. The lines at the south of Morrisville Yard like a tree! I think it can line a dozen of freight scenarios.

tree.png freight yard.jpg town.png station.png