Feature Proposal: Macos Support

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by 52_Western, Feb 24, 2018.

1. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Hello all!

Now, I've been excited for TSW since it first came out (CSX Heavy Haul), but I never could purchase, let alone play it, since it only supports Windows. I would be very happy if DTG would decide to support macOS, and I'm sure many other people would be as well. If you're wondering how I can play TS2018 on macOS, the answer is quite simple:

Porting Kit. I use Paul The Tall's wrapper available on Porting Kit for TS, so Train Simulator thinks it's running on Windows, but in reality it isn't (shhhh! Don't tell TS about that!). But this has a few downsides as well, as some of the routes don't work on the highest settings via the wrapper, for example South Wales Coastal (Bristol - Cardiff) doesn't even load on the highest settings, even when I turn them down, it lags. I have to turn them WAY down, and only then, it runs. That won't work for TSW, though, as it requires DX11.

I, for one would really be happy if TSW would actually be for macOS, even if it needs a little time. Just a small confirmation that it will get macOS support.
    Thanks for reading this, and I hope to see your thoughts in the comments below!
    (But don't tell me that I should get a 'proper PC', I don't want to use Windows for various reasons.)

Until next time,
    - 52_Western

2. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Porting TSW over to OSX will involve a fair amount of expense and time for DTG together with the continuing maintenance requirement. Ultimately DTG would need a convincing business case before embarking on any such project.

Bear in mind DTG already have issues delivering reasonably bug free DLCs and fixing TSW core issues on the Windows platform. The OSX platform would inevitably lag behind especially since DTG have no experience supporting it. Whilst all things are possible I would be very surprised if it ever happened. I believe somebody raised this subject on the Steam forum since apparently UE4 supports OSX so there is a miniscule chance it might happen.

3. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Thanks for the reply, SamYeager270, guess I'll have to wait, if they ever port it to macOS.
    Could you possibly link me to the Steam forum thread, if you've got it?
    Again, thanks! ;)

4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I would avoid that Steam thread. Turned into a Mac vs PC war...No good or useful information is likely to come out of that-DTG will say if anything interesting happens on Mac.
    Anyhoo, as much as Mac support would be cool, I think you’ll have to wait until after the console release for Mac to become a goal, if it will ever be one. I think it’s probably somewhat likely.

5. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

See link below. It does degenerate into squabbling and I'm not sure how useful it is.

Take advantage of UE4 capabilities