Californaication Train

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by rat7_mobile, Jan 9, 2021.

1. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

How do you get the damn train to get gpoing from a station, when it just decide that when you push to the 8th gear there is no poer going on, all it does is to go backward

I stopped the engine and then got it started again, but it still will not apply any power

PS it is somwhere bet the beging and the end of the run

2. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Hey that was a funny TV Series :D

I had exactly the same issues recenty. Is the locomotive the F40? If so check if PCS open indicator is lit on the cab. In case you changed the MU-A2 valve to Lead or manually applied emergency brakes that opens PCS and forces you to perform a full brake reset. You need to do the following:
    • Set reverser to NEUTRAL
    • Set brakes to EMERGENCY
    • Wait 60s while brake system is being reset
    • Set brakes to RELEASE
    • Wait until PCS open indicator is turned off
    After that you have traction again. I don´t think PCS should be open in those cases (at least it´s not like that in the rest of locomotives). It should only be open if alerter triggered the brakes. But this is how it´s implemented in game anyway.

If it´s the MP36 and you are using the control car cab to drive then be sure that the engine run button (green on the right side) is pressed and kept hold. You need that button and the cab key activated to drive from that control car cab.

Check the Californication chapter on my steam guide if you need any help with those train consists. Link is on my signature.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  3. rat7_mobile

Thanks for the MU2 valve, And I also found out that it is not possible to set it correctly fromm the start

When you start a run, it must not be touch even if it is set to trali

Now if the brake could only be controlable, at this time it is either full brake or no brake but nothing in between, at leat with a keyboard

4. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Well you can change it but after putting to Lead you must reset the brakes to clear the PCS indicator. You can drive locomotive either in Lead or Trail and also from the gallery cab with both settings is possible. I really don´t know which is the correct setting for such a banking configuration but I would expect that Lead should be used always (and definitelly if you drive from the locomotive) and Trail only in case you had a slave unit coupled to the locomotive (like in the CSX cases). That slave is the one that should be set to Trail. But I don´t know the real locomotive. As you have also the control car cab it makes sense as well to use the Trail on the banking locomotive, as it´s another driving cab at the end slaved to the control car. Who knows... In the guide I left the Trail setting just in case.

Cheers

5. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

The way the brakes are working in the F40 is the same as in the Class 101 on NTP. You have to dose the pressure.

6. rat7_mobile

I have not unlocked the 101 in TSW2 yet, so I have no idea they work in this version, but for the california train, the normal brake work in the way that it is all or nothing, the key for the LAP does not work, and I have no idea yet if it works on the 101, because it is still locked

7. rat7_mobile

A way that I just found to stop the train with some kind on control, is I first use the normal brake and then apply the electriacal brake to max, then release both and by that time I should be below 20KM, and I can then use the same brake as the one you use on the 363, the one you must press into bail to release

8. rat7_mobile

And now suring a another run I had to change for the second time the MU2 so the train would work

9. doublefine7

Actually, the train brake on the F40 works in a way that the electrical brake is part of the train brake so you dont need to separately activate it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Driving there can be tricky with the F40, specially when you have to pay attention to several things at the same time like level crossings, braking, signals and a station stop. I find this route quite challenging indeed.

The lap brakes work like a water tab: while in the service position brakes start to by applied until you pause them by setting lever to lap. In the release case it´s the same principle. The higher the time you leave lever in the service or the release positions the more braking force or brake release you have (faster application or faster release). To keep a particular braking force just set the brakes to lap when the gauges point to the desired brake cylinder reading.

Cheers

11. doublefine7

I recommend to put 10 psi out of the brake cylinder when you are 1 mile ahead of a stop so you approach with a decent speed so you can easily control the stop. It needs some practise but when you get how it works, its getting easier with every drive.

12. rat7_mobile

I do understantd that the brake is work by full bleeding, and you kind of place a turniquette with the LAP, but on the california train the key on the keyboard to set the LAP doe not work

The key on the keyboard is the on on the left of the righthand side shift key

So right now as the key for the LAP does not work, the brake a bleeding until emptied or you can release before being emptied but then agian, that will as it always did completely release the brake

PS what do you mean by the crossing, there is nothing to do for the crossing

13. rat7_mobile

It is not possible to apply partial normal brake as the brake will bleed until emptied or released, if bleed until empty then it is full brake, and when release, it is no brake

The only brake you can set to partial are the one use on the 363, with the key that is just above the ENTER key, second from the the left

14. doublefine7

You have two keybindings for the train brake. 1 is for the release and the second is for bringing the brakes on. After you reached the desired value on the brake pressure, use the key for brake release to bring the lever into the Lap position.

Example: I have the keys bound to Y and X right above the SPACE key (german keyboard). Y is for release and X for service. So: I am 1 mile ahead, I press X to bring the brakes into service until 10 psi are out. Then I press Y to put the lever into LAP. Important: I am talking about the train brakes, not the loco brakes.

15. rat7_mobile

As I said before the key for the LAP setting does not work, at least on the california train, I do not know if it does work on the british 101 as I have not unlocked the train yet in any of the british trainset

16. doublefine7

The keybindings do work fine on every train. I really would like to see what keybindings you use for the train brakes. Actually, as I read the SFJ manual, the binding given for brakes is kinda irritating since the bindings given there are for the dynamic brakes.

17. rat7_mobile

Well as the keys can not be changed, it is the one that come with the game

the elecetrical brake release is the 3rd key from the left of the raighthand SHIFT
    the elecetrical brake apply is the 2nd key from the left of the raighthand SHIFT
    the LAP is the one on the left of the righthand side SHIFT

the normal brake realease is the 2nd on the right of the ENTER
    the normal brake applay is the one on the left of the ENTER

the other brake is just above the normal brake
    the other brake release is the 3rd on the left form the righthand side of the letter keayboard
    the other brake apply is the 2nd on the left form the righthand side of the letter keayboard

18. doublefine7

Ok, so here is the thing: Lap is a setting on the normal brakes. There is no keybinding for lapping the brakes since lap is part of the normal brakes. You have on normal brakes: release-> hold->Lap->service. Service is for "bleeding" the pressure out and Lap is for holding the pressure.

19. rat7_mobile

in the game SETTING there is a list of all the keys for keyboard oepratioon, and it the one sold in Canada, there is the SLASH in a rectage and the function says MOVE TO LAP POSITION

on the keyboard in Canada the SLASH is the first one on the left of the righthand SHIFT key

20. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was going to be some weird tie in to the RHCP album or the David Duchovney TV show....disappointed :(

• Like Like x 1
  21. doublefine7

I do understand this. But: The Lap setting is part of the normal brake. So the keybinding you are describing does nothing on this train. You need to use the normal brake keys to apply the appropriate brake settings. The "Move to Lap Position"-Binding does nothing. And in my keybindings, SLASH was bound with Parking Brake as a default (until I changed that). I actually had a look in my settings and actually, "Move to Lap Position" means "apply the parking brake". It is weird wording there.

22. rat7_mobile

if you are using hacks to modify the game then, you may have been able to make the brake work the way you described, but I use the standard game as sold in Canada, and the key can not be changed, and my brother in-law showed me a video with the pink-bunny ears guys saying that it is not posbbile at this time to change the key assignement, they are working on it for the future.

Again the only way the train works is for the normal brake to be all or nothing, when you press on the normal brake apply, it goes to service or in a fractrion of seconds later ot EMERGENCY, which mean game over at that point

or if you use the normal brake release, it then goes to RELEASE, which mean no more break, until you bleed it again

So basically, the only way to aplly partial brake, it is by being able to switch quicly enough between the normal brake apply, and the normal brake release

or to do it the way I just experimented with, normal brake, then electrical brake to full, and then release both, and then use the 363 brake to stop, hopefully beside the dock

23. doublefine7

I really recommend you to READ what I write. The normal brake has 4 steps you need to use in general service: release, hold, LAP and service. You use the normal brake keybindings to use these steps. Service opens the brake pressure flow so brakes apply. At ANY time you can use the "release normal brake" keybinding to put the normal brake on the LAP step. You do not need any other keybinding for this. Just use the normal brake keybindings. It is simple as that. There is no hacks in there.

24. rat7_mobile

I have no idea what you use to control the trians, but I have only a keyboard, and with the keyboard it goes from no brake to service and then to EMMERGENCY, or if using the release it goes form either EMERGNECY or service to release, there is no in-between

well you said that you change the keys, that requeires a hack, as it is not yet possbiel to change key assignment, PS I was told the pink-bunny ear guys is the chief programer for the game

25. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

he's clearly said that he hasn't used what you call hacks but a different button to the one your using

26. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Just wrong. The train works perfectly fine so do the keybindings, no hacks or any of that nonesense or gibberish is needed.
    You apply break force and then switch back the break lever until one slot before release. The break preassure that has been applied before will remain at that level until you either release or further increase it. For the "California Train" you only need 2 keys for working the breaks on your keyboard for the whole route. Maybe you can map more but you don't need it.

This thread gives me flashbacks to the thread where you insisted that "m" on german routes stood for miles per hours instead of meters, your record for actually listening to the replies you get is kinda stained, sorry. Maybe if you could use some actual train names instead of weird nicknames we would know what you are talking about. But if you are trying to run the F40, the above mentioned applies.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Knightfire1964

also the guy with the pink headphones is matt incase if you wanted to know

28. rat7_mobile

Ok then the San Frans][=cisco train

I am no exp\ert in trains, so I do not know the names, it is the train that has 2 locomotives, the one in the front as angled nose with red stripe on it, and the one at the back is a flat nose and you are on the second floor, front the look, it seems it made of steel on the outside, I hope it is better for you

So far the only one that seems to be working correctly are the 2 cargo locomotive

al, I know is this one the braking system does not work like you guys arew saying, when I press the normal brake aplly key, it goes to service and fraction later to EMERGENCY (which mean game over as it can not be recovered), or when I press the normal brake realse key it goes strait to RELEASE, there is no step in between, or the keys are not using the steps and may be programmed to to go those steps

I know that the game is design to be used for x-box via an x-box emulator on the computer, so the steps for the brake are may better with the x-box setting, but I do not own an x-box

29. rat7_mobile

matt ?????????

Ok is name is matt, I never met him, and I do not think I will ever meet him either, as I do not know any programmer for games

30. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There are also pages and pages across multiple threads of trying to explain the brakes on both the F40 and Class 101 from TSW2020 days that went down very similar rabbit holes. Also the gears on the 101 if I recall. This is just deja vu. A lot of people tried.

• Like Like x 2
  31. rat7_mobile

I do not think any of you looked into the the game settings, because there is a setting in the case of the Canadian version it is SLASH and it speciofically says LAP

I can not say for TSW2, but for the TYSW 101 and this stupid train, it was working, but it is stille there for the version of the game but it does not work for this train, and as I have not yet unlocked the 101, I have no idea if it ddoes work in TSW2

32. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Could you perhaps share a screenshot of that?
    Be that as it may, the brakes of the F40 are perfectly usable as described by the other forum members.

33. doublefine7

I have said several times here that the "Move to lap position" -binding in the game settings is the parking brake. IT DOES NOT AFFECT THE NORMAL BRAKES.

34. rat7_mobile

in TSW it was making the normal brake for this stupid train and the 101 to use the LAP function, not present otherwise if using a keyboard

35. Lamplight

Let‘s all try to remain calm.

You claim the brakes do not work with a keyboard. Putting any key mappings for lap positions aside, could you tell us why using the normal keys for controlling the brake and putting it into the lap position that way does not work for you? What exactly happens when you try?

• Like Like x 1
  36. doublefine7

You are wrong. The keybinding you are describing is the parking brake. It does nothing with the normal brakes. The lap setting for holding the brake pressure on both the class 101 and the F40 (which is not a stupid train btw) is controlled by the normal brake keybindings. This is a fact. Yes, the description in the settings is a bit confusing but if you played the tutorial for both locos you should know how to use the normal brakes. Again: The "Move the lap position" function is the PARKING BRAKE and is in no way related to the normal train brake.

37. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The / (forward slash) key only operated LAP on the Class 101 in TSW2020, not the F40. “Move to lap position” means exactly that, move to lap position, but only for the Class 101.

• Like Like x 2
  38. rat7_mobile

Well the tutorial are mandatory when using the Journey for an train set or route, again I have not yet unlocked the 101 in TSW2, but I ma doing the Journey in the California/San Francisco

In the tutorial, the LAP function is not working either, it was an all or nothing. and I do have apologies for one thing, you are right, you can get to the LAP step, but only when appling the brake, and it is before the service, so in the LAP step on the way to the service step, there is no brae that are applied

And for your information, in TSW, I used the 101 for all the services, and even re-use some of the service using the 101 as a maintenace train, to cut the logs and other thing that needed to be done as the secondary objective, instead of walking, and to aplly the the LAP, it was by using the key that was assign inn the game setting, again in TSW2, I have not yet unlock the 101, so I have not tried it

And I apologies for calling the train "STUPID", but I am upset that it can not be stopp like a real train, with properly working control (either in-game, or real), like I am sure in real if it is working like this it would be very easy for the driver to have the hand on the lever and make it move the way it need, and to use the LAP step, but with a keyboard it is not possible, and it is the only way to control the trains

39. Knightfire1964

if key binds are not working just use the mouse and drag the brakes to release

• Like Like x 1
  40. doublefine7

Short question: If you see that the Lap keybinding isnt working, why are you not trying the normal brake keybindings? In the tutorial of the F40 it is explained how the brakes work and that you DO have to use the normal brake keybindings.

• Like Like x 1
  41. rat7_mobile

What, did I say wrong, I was told by my brother-law, that he was the chief programer for the game, and he was wearing pink-bunny ears

Not trying to insult any one, it is like the other guy, he as a big beard Willima Mackenzie-King, this one I have no idea who it is or what if any relation his job his for the the game, he was mostly asking questons to the pink-bunny guy, and it seem they were from a list he kept behind the camera

42. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yes I know, sorry if I deleted my comment but I figured it was wiser to stay out of this conversation. I just found funny the idea of a chief developer with pink bunny ears, even if it's undoubtedly true.

The other guy, also known as DTG protagonist is the community manager :D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Lamplight

Exactly. You need to put the brake into service and then move it back to lap using the key to release the brakes.

• Like Like x 1
  44. rat7_mobile

If I use the mouse then I lose sight of where I am, because to use the mouse on the leveres, you then loose the window, also there is only stop at one end or the other when moving the lever, so where is the SERVICE, LAP, no idea, there lever seem to be moving freely from end to end (RELASE to EMERGNCY (and then it is game over, nned to restart the run))

45. doublefine7

The normal brake has 4 steps you need to use in general service: release, hold, LAP and service. This is what I wrote several posts above. Yes, it has Neutral and Emergency too, but the first steps can be easily achieved. Dont hold the normal brake engage key. Just press it shortly until it reaches the next step.

46. rat7_mobile

But when applyoing the brake, it is possible to stop at the LAP step, but there is no brake apllied then, it need to go to service to have brake applied, but the the release button does no stopped at LAP step, it goes strait to REALEASE

47. doublefine7

You need to be a little bit cautious on that, just press the keys and dont hold them pressed for longer than a second. If you have the HUD active, you can see on the right side on which step the brake lever is.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Lamplight

Not true. The release button does stop at lap, at hold, and at release just like the apply button does.

• Like Like x 3
  49. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Yeap, as Lamplight said you can still lap it with standard brake controls. I think it´s easy. That´s the way I use those brakes at least as you just need a couple of keypress. Set it to service, then press once the release key and it will stay at lap at the desired pressure. Press more and it goes to hold and once more it will start releasing. I mean... It´s very intuitive indeed once you get used to it.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  50. rat7_mobile

Well if not held down, then all it does is show the status