Roadmap Update - 12th January 2021

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jan 12, 2021.

1. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Are you adding kettles to the working hotplates on some locos? That would make steam.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Not sure how I feel about steam trains coming to TSW 2.

Obviously they need to be in the game, but I’m not sure I’m that eager to drive them - especially if the routes are going to be historical.

I’ll be watching developments closely.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  3. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’d rather wait for a fully tested SEHS than have them rush it out with lots of basic bugs that should have been spotted and fixed prior to release.

Also, I’ve nearly got enough Microsoft Reward points for 25 quid’s worth of credit so by the time it’s out, I’ll get it for nowt (poetry in motion!)

• Like Like x 4
  4. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

And can we fry eggs and bacon on our shovels in the firebox?

5. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Really hope that it's not steam railway hope they mean steam application. Steam railway can come in the future

• Like Like x 2
  6. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Has nobody else noticed that 'Livery designer for East Coastway Class 377 and Class 66' has gone back down from Next Arrival to In Production??!! Don't think that's ever happened before.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I'll hold my hand up and say when I saw Steam I thought it was improving the patching process on steam so it doesn't take 30 mins to install an already downloaded 250mb patch! :D

I'm not a huge fan of steam trains to be honest so its not the most exciting thing ever for me, but am very happy for those who are, and who have waited a very long time for this.

• Like Like x 4
  8. WVUadam

Not happy if that's the case. Steam can wait few years the game needs more features next gen updates , bigger routes which are detailed. Only then can we get multiplayer , steam Trains and really enjoy it.

• Like Like x 4
  9. WVUadam

Yea it's possible things go back a step. Just means it needs extra work but it will come in the future

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Imagine a lovely Brighton to Eastbourne steam charter along the ECW.....

• Like Like x 5
  11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Steam, the gaming platform, is not part of the core of TSW2 and would have no place in a core update to TSW2 announced on the TSW2 roadmap. Similarly, they don’t put names of railway lines and then add (the railway line) after it for people who are slow on the uptake. It’s a given.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

The 442 on SKA with the incorrect unit formation is still not fixed. It's part of the core game and was identified before TSW2 was released. When running towards Achen the 442 has a top and tail first class cab unit with a pantograph each, this is incorrect. I guess this will never be fixed.

13. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Oh shush, we've had plenty of modern trains and also quite a few high speed trains. I'm looking massively forward to steam trains and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Yay for steam locomotives! Can't wait to see them ingame. Good chance from the modern stuff I have in my collection.

• Like Like x 14
  14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Still no North American routes or locomotives anywhere close to release, or even planned. Very disappointed. Despite all the assurances, we Americans might reasonably feel ignored, or at best pushed to the back of the line. ☹☹

• Like Like x 3
  15. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I personally remember the "EMUs confusion". Still to this day I am sure many players are heartbroken no big running birds have been added to TSW.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

It's just the other way round, RRO is an older DLC than HRR ;)

17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m not particularly bothered about having steam trains to drive either but they are an important part of a train simulator. All the other things will happen as well. It’s not like they are stopping everything else to make steam trains. You shouldn’t be unhappy about it, and steam has already waited a few years since the start of TSW. It may actually be in development for another year before the first proper release comes.

• Like Like x 2
  18. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Even if you, the individual player, have no interest in driving a steam loco (and they are hard, if you've ever tried it in TS), they are an unavoidable part of the traffic landscape in any sort of throwback or "time machine" route or add-on set in Germany or the UK before around 1970. (I agree with Paul Jackson that steam is best seen in its native habitat, not a modern heritage railway. The difference between a lion on the savannah and a lion in a zoo).

• Like Like x 4
  19. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Yeah, unfortunately outside the Dash 8 it may be a few months before we get anything new that is based Stateside....

20. solicitr

Aren't there licensing problems in the US? I know that BNSF told Dovetail to bugger off, and I seem to recall that NEC was withdrawn because Amtrak got pissy about their trademarks.

(OTOH, it may simply be that route research gets kind of expensive when you have to fly your people across the Atlantic; I daresay the field research for Bakerloo cost rather less to do).

21. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Amtrak wasn't the problem, the NEC was so old it would have needed re-building to work in TSW2. DTG still have the licence and I would bet that one of the next US routes to be announced will be an Amtrak one. They admitted it is a notable omission.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Blacknred81

BNSF is the only major Class 1 freight railroad with licensing issues, but CSX,UP and NS are all fair game, including their fallen flag railroads (Like the Clinchfield)

DTG also has issue with licensing some commuter railroads as well, as seen with Metrolink, Coaster, Tri Rail, MARC, and Metra as seen in TS20XX.

• Like Like x 1
  23. WVUadam

Perhaps unhappy was wrong word of choice. It's not a bad thing. Because I look forward to it when it arrives But then they have said steam isn't coming not ready. But to then change focus of it coming when we still supporting old generation console's it's Going to to be way better on PC new Xbox and playstation consoles.

• Like Like x 3
  24. WVUadam

Am not saying steam shouldn't come but it should come when it's ready in its glory. And i would be happy to drive steam trains so false to say I don't like it

• Like Like x 1
  25. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

DTG Protagonist upload_2021-1-12_18-3-2.png
    Might I suggest adding these details next time because there will become a point where we're asking "Which 375? Which 377? Which 465?" because there's more than one subclass... and TSW2 (or whatever names the franchise will have later) may eventually have another train of the same class developed for it.

It also stops the arguments about which subclass one person thinks it will be and stops discussions like "DTG is bad because they chose to do a /9 over a /6" and all that sort of stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  26. spicemaster

spicemaster Member

pretty sure you're going to be right.

27. F-Block

F-Block Well-Known Member

You may be looking for the wall of text above the actual roadmap in the roadmap article.

28. solicitr

In this connection- a thought just struck me regarding
    "To that end it won't be long before the next collection of routes and locos find their way onto this schedule. Your suggestions and feedback is invaluable in making these selections, so be sure to get involved in the suggestions forum." ​
    This is GREAT, I love that DTG is actively asking the user base what they want.

But I could add to this just a small caveat to keep in mind when totting up the numbers: the Suggestions and other forums here have an inherent Anglophone slant, because of the "post in English" rule (which is understandable; I'm not saying it's wrong). While many players from outside the Anglosphere know anything from working to dead-fluent English, there are many who don't, or aren't comfortable using it, so they don't post, meaning that interest in non-UK/North American routes and gear is probably rather higher than the forums reflect.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  29. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

That may be true but I've seen routes from around the world posted on the forums amongst the usual "make the ECML, WCML, MML, anything that ends in ML" posts including Australia, Russia, India, South Africa and South America so lets not give up hope yet

• Like Like x 1
  30. Averageatom6446

Averageatom6446 New Member

Ugh still waiting patiently for Cane Creek

• Like Like x 2
  31. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree that it's a shame that we don't really have any new north american passenger content coming anytime soon

• Like Like x 2
  32. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Same here waiting patiently as well

• Like Like x 1
  33. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

no they Broke the 422 Train including Destination boards.
    It has HRR Things in Base of RRO since its preserved in TSW2.
    DTG Natster are you Aware of this issue?

34. tallboy7648

That is probably true

35. playthoseblues

playthoseblues Active Member

A good first roadmap for 2021 DTG and happy to see memory optimisation being acknowleged - cough HMA! That besides, thanks to the team for being able to bring out frequent updates on the game during the current time, its certainly a good escape at the end of a busy day. Cheers !

• Like Like x 1
  36. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

Loving the new format, but I wish you didn’t get rid of the symbols that tell you if something has moved up/down. Hopefully those can be added back next time.

• Like Like x 6
  37. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

All to do with licenses I believe.

Looking through the list of routes available at the moment, you've got the following US/NA routes:
    1. Long Island Railroad
    2. Sand Patch Grade
    3. Oakville Subdivision
    4. Peninsula Corridor
    5. Cane Creek - In production
    So you've got 4 in total, with 1 in production.

German Routes:
    1. Munchen to Augsburg
    2. Koln
    3. Rhein-Ruhr
    4. Rhein-Ruhr Osten
    5. Ruhr-Seig Nord
    6. Rapid Transit
    7. Main-Spessart Bahn
    So that's 7 routes with more in production.

UK routes
    1. NTP
    2. GWML
    3. TVL
    4. Island Line (wouldn't even call this a worthwhile route)
    5. WSR
    6. Bakerloo line
    7. Southeastern High Speed - In production.
    7 UK routes, but if you take out Bakerloo and Island line, it's 4 major routes. With a 5th inbound.

Then you've got the French LGV.

Think US/NA routes are fairly well represented as some of them are quite long and detailed!

• Like Like x 1
  38. solicitr

I may remember incorrectly, but I believe that Amtrak yanked DTG's license, so there are no US passenger options other than commuter rail. OTOH a Canadian Via Rail passenger route....

• Like Like x 1
  39. tallboy7648

We only got two passenger routes in north america. One of which is pretty much unplayable because the sound of the train cuts out so no North America is not fairly represented in the game unless your not intrested in north american content or freight content

40. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

They didn't yank the licence at all. As has been stated in many streams the reason NEC didn't come over to TSW2 was that the route was built in an experimental way and would be difficult to carry over. They've also stated multiple times that they are thinking about many Amtrak routes.

• Like Like x 4
  41. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

With steam locomotives coming we could have exersion trains

42. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Yes it is fairly represented, there's 5 main routes for each country covered. American passenger numbers are some of the lowest in the world due to the distances involved. You will get new routes, once licenses can be obtained, but then it will be for mass transit systems, as the main cross country routes are Amtrak.

• Like Like x 2
  43. tallboy7648

That is simply not true. I recently bought the Amtrak Baltimore to DC route for ts2021 and that came out on december 22 so they still have the Amtrak license. They have said that many times so I don't know where your getting that info from. The reason why nec didn't come over was because it would be difficult (although in my opinion not impossible) to move over so yes dtg still has a license for amtrak

44. tallboy7648

Mate dtg still has the amtrak license. That's been pointed out many times. They even released a Amtrak route late last month for ts2021 so I don't know where your getting that from

45. solicitr

I stand corrected

• Like Like x 1
  46. solicitr

Canada.....

47. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

Go Transit or VIA rail

48. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

What are you implying? All I said was that if you're going to get a decent TSW American passenger route, you're more likely to get a mass transit system, rather than a cross country one as the distances are too great.

49. Blacknred81

Yeah it looks like Amtrak totally yanked DTGs license. #saracasm
    20210112_114227.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  50. tallboy7648

It would be cool to get Passenger content from Canada. Canadian National was not a good start for canadian content for tsw2020 since it was so badily riddled with bugs when it came out.