Roadmap Update - 12th January 2021

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jan 12, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That may be the answer: use the Guard Buzzer button as the door key-bind, fictively announcing to the guard that it's time to open/close the doors (yes, I know in reality it happens the other way round). And, yes, add the whistle!

• Like Like x 1
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

To be fair Canadian National was so bad when it came out for tsw2020 that it got the reputation as the worst dlc for tsw2020 and did not do well in sales and reviews during that time

3. tallboy7648

Mastery seems to be a 5 minute side project with challenges that are so simple. Driving 5 miles in a tunnel doesn't feel like your mastering anything difficult. Getting the same three christmas markets plopped onto a route that you most likely wouldn't notice nor would probably be there in real life either doesn't feel rewarding at all which makes the rewards utter rubbish in my opinion

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. tallboy7648

Having little to no passengers in a route or train does make the simulation feel unrealistic. It feels like the environment around you is dead

• Like Like x 1
  5. OMW1993

OMW1993 New Member

cheers for the info

6. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

What's the source for this? I know it got fairly negative reviews, but never heard it did particularly poorly sales wise. I'm wouldn't be surprised mind you, I just want to find see it for myself for curiosity sake.

On a somewhat related note I think a part of the reason why there's a push for more America routes besides the big gap between releases is because some of the ones already in the game aren't great. If NEC & Oakville were well liked I'd guarantee people wouldn't mind the gap in NA routes so much.

7. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

that’s the same for me I can only achieve silver on them

• Like Like x 1
  8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Possibly. But, since NEC is not available in TSW2 and Oakville is, in my view, a potentially very good but regrettably unfinished route, the gap will be close to 2 years by the time either Clinchfield or Cane Creek appears. Far too long compared to Europe.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Except it's not, with how long DTG have been taking it's almost certainly gonna be way closer to one year, not two. Look dude, I get it, I want to get as far away from 2020 as you do, but pretending it's already 2022 isn't gonna change facts mate.

10. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah mastery is full of issues from the idea of it, to the implementation of it, to the way that it tracks in game and interacts with the player.

I think that the whole idea is silly and a waste of manpower, regardless of the skill-set of the team that is behind it, systems like the player level and mastery don't really belong in a simulator in the first place, all we need is a stat system for train operating details (miles driven, passenger & freight tasks completed etc)

• Like Like x 1
  11. tallboy7648

Mastery was made by dovetail live and they don't make or develop anything related to making content for tsw2

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I think one of the issues with passengers is that they often spawn in too late. Because they are modelled with a route and destination in mind they don't spawn directly onto the platform but often under it or behind the station and then they have to walk (slowly) to their place on the platform. Even if you are a stopping service you frequently find people are only just making their way onto the platform as you leave, if you are just passing though then you don't get to see anyone.

I think they should spawn in a lot earlier so the platform is already busy with people waiting whether you are stopping or not - this would make it look more alive. The system could then "cheat" and automatically de-spawn them once you are out of sight of the station. I guess this also might have to do with the loading in of tiles - you can't spawn passengers before the tile is loaded I assume.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tallboy7648

Or maybe they could just have the passengers just waiting in the platform sorta like world of subways 4 where you'll have passengers waiting on the platform but also some that do walk up or down the steps into the train.

14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Also, passengers during unload will suddenly spawn in the train doorways just to debark, one after the other- this can get really frustrating in free roam if you're trying to board, as NPCs keep popping into existence blocking your way.

15. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

An issue I've found with the NPCs is that when free roaming, upon loading the game, there's often hundreds of NPC's spawning in which all follow the same paths. So instead of spreading out, you'll get a cluster of NPC's waiting in one area of the platform.

Also, you'll often see NPCs just aimlessly standing at the end of the platforms, not doing anything.

A massive overhaul of the NPC system is definitely required. They act very simplistic.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

I’m curious to know if the Class 313 EMU DLC loco would add more traffic to the timetable or it would be a substitution like the LIRR’s M3.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I think they'll just substitute for the 377 on some Seaford and Lewes services as there's no more services to add on the part of the route that the 313 serves.

• Like Like x 3
  18. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

This.

The 313 was only introduced on to the ECW & WCW to provide the smaller shuttle journeys, which are currently done in TSW by 377’s.

Some 313’s do occasionally go to Eastbourne & either Hastings or Ore (don’t remember which) so we might get a couple of timetable journeys out to Eastbourne, but yes they will be replacing 377 services and not additional.

• Like Like x 3
  19. londonmidland

It would be nice if the addition of the 313s would offset the surplus 377s which could be used for missing portal traffic.

Have you ever noticed that there are literally no London Victoria services at Lewes, and platforms 1 and 2 never get used bar the odd train and freight service?

• Like Like x 2
  20. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

What about the Br146.2 and Br185.2?

21. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Already fixed

22. drnicktgm#1259

Not on PS4 it still sound the same after the train reaches a speed of 120 km/h

23. drnicktgm#1259

I can make a video to prove it

24. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Yes, I've always wondered why those services were left out when the West Coastway and BML services were included as AI. I hope that these can be added at sometime in the future so the stretch of line between Lewes and Eastbourne is busier.
    Aswell as the 313s substituting for most of the Lewes and Seaford services, they could be used as extra AI services on the West Coastway at Brighton.

• Like Like x 1
  25. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Yep, noticed this ages ago and it's quite annoying. Just the two London Victoria services, one inbound in the morning and outbound in the evening. DTG always seem to limit themselves to around 200/250 per route (without layers) and leave out services. I bet they will leave out the Class 395 services that go on from Ebbsfleet towards Ashford in SEHS.

• Like Like x 1
  26. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

The HST Fix SHOULD be ...... 'High Speed Train accelerating AND BRAKING INCORRECTLY'. The braking on the HST is too aggressive.

• Like Like x 1
  27. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They got a tiny tweak but they need a lot more work. Maybe they will be looked at again later. They sound like a cat fighting with bagpipes in a metal bin. They also both have adhesion issues which have not appeared on the roadmap at all. I think those may have been forgotten about. I’ll do another bug report about that soon.

Although there is a dedicated team looking at older content, I think some bugs are still going to be around for a very long time. The guy doing the sound fixes has apparently finished training now and can get to work on making everything sound better but it’s going to be a long job I reckon.

• Like Like x 2
  28. londonmidland

If its only one lone person working on the various trains and routes to make them sound better, then I agree that its going to take a very long time to resolve.

• Like Like x 1
  29. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

I could care less about steam locomotives, however this makes me super excited to think we could get some vintage routes. Now that I can get behind!

And anyone hating on the Oakville Sub...what? It's one of the best routes they made! I freaking love that line!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  30. Adamgrant3

Adamgrant3 Active Member

Just remember that steam is a few type of engine so it may take a while for them to design the overall layout of the workflow for the steam, which also includes the particle simulation, wind etc its no easy task, ok on earlier games yes it was just voxel

• Like Like x 1
  31. Amax

Amax Active Member

the cab car will be added with the db br 101 yes or no

32. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

no

33. billyisitt

billyisitt Member

This roadmap was very disappointing I really wanted to know more about the upcoming southeastern London st Pancras to faversham route not that steam is a bad thing I just am only looking forward to playing this route so much and I hope we find out a release date in the next roadmap on January 26th!

• Like Like x 3
  34. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

They always give us more information in the further roadmap not the first one when the route is announced then you’ll have the article. We all want this route me included but just be patient

35. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

They don't put dates on the roadmap, never have, likely never will
    It's in post development so it'll be out soon enough

• Like Like x 1
  36. billyisitt

billyisitt Member

Let’s hope it comes out very soon :)

• Like Like x 1
  37. ARuscoe

Let's hope it comes out when it's ready, as in things work as expected rather than rushed out to meet a target we don't even know about anyway

• Like Like x 5
  38. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The roadmap doesn’t include any more details about the routes on it. So even if it was imminent for release the roadmap wouldn’t have any more details on the southeastern route. Extra detail comes from separate articles on the website. The release date also doesn’t appear on the roadmap, instead also being included in the other articles.

• Like Like x 1
  39. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

Which is more exciting
    • Steam locomotives
    • Clinchfield railroad

40. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Steam locomotive due to its broad nature.

As based on some polls here, alot of folks don't like US Freight routes, while steam locomotives will benefit more people in the long run.

EDIT: Personally I pick the Clinchfield, due to it coming sooner than Steam, plus the F7 in the livery editor.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  41. tallboy7648

Neither to be honest

• Like Like x 2
  42. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Steam for me, I spend most of my simming time in TS1 with steam engines so am looking forward to them in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  43. ARuscoe

Neither

• Like Like x 3
  44. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Everyone will have their own level of “excitement” over new DLC, routes and features... that is why I like simulations so much because you can tailor them to your particular interests.

For me, the prospect of having steam locomotives is something to look forward since driving a steamer and firing it yourself is a challenge and provides with with much more enjoyment than modern “push button” locomotives. I am sure others would see the challenge of a steam locomotive of little interest...

• Like Like x 1
  45. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

Seems like CSX:HH aka TSW aka TSW2 is going back on tracks with great roadmap this time.
    RailDriver, TrackIR, Steam trains incoming. Platform timetables display for older routes and Bakerloo services in thinking.
    When all of that will come out it will be a big great day!

For Steam I would love to have same mechanics as it was in MSTS maaany years ago.
    Operating the boiler, shoveling rate, managing number of steam produced, temperature, water, water condensate ejection while stationary.
    It makes busy even if driving slowly, but mind that Steam was even faster than diesel.

If DTG could deliver this, "chapeau bas" and I will stop moaning about underdelivered stuff.
    I was waiting for such things from CSX:HH initial release.

While doing Steam loco SimuGraph stuff, they may spot a few errors, optimizations, improvements to current or future trains that way and it may open doors to more features on trains in the future. Yes they are slow, yet bugfixing first of all routes (CSX), but they get ambitious as hype train may reach the destination one day.
    If you ask and persist on some stuff it will happen. If you throw money through the window of hype train, well ...
    Anyway it is going back on track to the direction I was looking for from the very first release of CSX.

I would like to ask how much time it takes to prepare all the masteries, maps, things and stuff unrelated to driver role and if it would take similar time to make dynamic scripted announcements instead for "Dev worktime". Also many players are complaining about not seeing the speed signs and going arcade way of driving (HUD upper right) instead of having rolling "driver timetables and mileposts with speeds etc which is extremely immersive" on the LCD (MFD?) in cockpit instead of running around and placing maps, trashbins etc which takes dev time ...
    But gamers may kill me for that.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  46. robtorres718

robtorres718 Member

Would like to see fixes for the LIRR, audio, lighting, improved timetable and AI traffic. But most definitely, loco add-ons. (M2 & M9) Hope to see a subway MTA route in the near future. A,C,E,G,F,N,R,Q... if done right, I'd pay $100 for the dlc. For all the hard work you guys would put into it. Just want and need more MTA... R36 trains would be a dream. NOT the best, but one of my favorite locos here in NYC.