State-of-the-art Sprinter!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-Jay, Feb 28, 2018.

1. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

[​IMG]
    Written by: Gary Dolzall.
    Railroading around the Big Apple is coming to Train Sim World, and we introduce the featured electric – Amtrak’s ACS-64

READ MORE

• Like Like x 2
  2. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Some great pictures there. I'm very much looking forward to the release of the NEC: New York route, wonderful work on modelling the loco, carriages and the route.

3. Tristan S.

Tristan S. New Member

WoW! Stunning!

4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Ability to enter the carbody corridor? Sounds like someone got tired of hearing “can we go in the engine rooms? can we go into the engine rooms? can we go into the engine rooms? why can’t we go in the engine rooms?and decided to do something about it ;)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  5. NorthRail1

AC-02.jpg
    Just noticed a bug on this image in case you haven't noticed, there are duplicate Amtrak logos, US flags and numbers on the side of the train.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

In one of the screenshots from the steam page you can see missing textures. Likely just unfinished at the time when they made the screenshots.

7. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

As stated in the article: "Note: Screenshots show content still in development."

• Like Like x 1
  8. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the AEM-7's in this at some point.

• Like Like x 7
  9. NorthRail1

I was just mentioning it in case they hadn't noticed.

10. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

That’s a bug that’s been in the game on all content after GWE...decals on newer stuff seem to not respect that things are in front of them, and will render right through solid objects when you are far enough away. Been reported in a few situations, especially on the GP40-2, where the CSX logo could be seen right through solid objects, but looks like another bug sticking around for now.

Edit: here’s a screenshot of mine pointing out what goes in in the GP40-2. That CSX logo on the front of the second GP40-2 is rendering right through that covered hopper.
    FDF19201-D24D-43C9-8234-7D3125B48244.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Kestrel33

Kestrel33 Active Member

Great to see some new screen shots, that should hold me over for a few more day until the next article comes out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Also would have appreciated an Amfleet Cab car. It is quite a shame that has been overlooked in the previous Train Sim. And it needs to be added.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The Northeast Regional consist is incorrect. The cafe car should be in the middle with three cars on one side, and four on the other side.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

The 3D models are allways awesome in TSW... i hope this time we get a less rushed DLC with less bugs then with the RT release.
    RT is after the GP40 DLC the worst so far.
    I hope we see this time a better quality.

• Like Like x 5
  15. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Looks great! But there are some inaccuracies (and praise!) that I'd like to point out. Maybe the issues will be fixed before official release?

I'll go in the order they're presented in the article.

1) This appears to take place on No. 2 track at the curve just east of CP 216 on the Metro-North New Haven Line. First off, all the tracks here have wooden ties, not concrete. The gantry style should be Metro-North's, but the style used on the western part of the route is used instead. Some of the ones styled this way are scattered in the area, but not this heavily.
    [​IMG]

And now for what it looks like in real life (note that it's zoomed in a bit)
    1.jpg
    2) There are no known issues with photo #2 (the one on Hell Gate Bridge) except for the logo on the side of the ACS-64.
    [​IMG]

3) Not going to judge this one since there's a better one of the same area further in the article.
    [​IMG]

4) This one is almost the same as the first, but it's a bit further east and offers a view of New Rochelle and CP 217. Same criticisms as the first photo. The home signals for CP 217 appear to be in the correct location.
    [​IMG]

5) This photo takes place on No. 1 track within Hunter interlocking limits. DTG is correct that this section of No. 1 track has wooden ties, but so do Nos. 2 & 4 tracks. No. 3 track is the only mainline track with concrete ties within the limits of this shot. Additionally, the catenary gantries span all tracks, not just a couple at a time.
    [​IMG]

Now for a real-life comparison shot (again, zoomed in a bit, excuse the blurriness..it had just started to rain)
    2.jpg

6) This is located on No. 3 track at the Hackensack Portals of the North River Tunnels just before the undergrade bridge at milepost 3. The catenary gantries are modeled quite well. The dual benches of the tunnel are modeled well. No real issues with this photo!
    [​IMG]

7) This is located in the cab of an ACS-64 looking east from No. 1 track at Newark Liberty International Airport station. The locomotive number cannot be determined since it is not inscribed on the panels. The platform detailing is immaculate! All tracks have concrete ties and DTG accurately represented that.
    [​IMG]

8) Not going to evaluate the detailing of the ACS-64 engine room since I have never personally seen one nor do I have photos of one.
    [​IMG]

9) This takes place on No. 1 track on the Pelham Bay movable bridge. It's nice to see the Metro-North style catenary gantry was modeled. It is desperately needed in some places around New Rochelle. The distant bridge has no texture applied.
    [​IMG]

10) This takes place on No. 1 track at milepost 14 in the Bronx. Nothing is really wrong here except that the freight track in (two tracks over from the train) is supposed to have wooden ties. If catenary is there (can't tell from photo), it shouldn't be. The freight track has no electrification.
    [​IMG]

11) I am assuming this takes place on Lead #5 at the R Switching Center at the northern part of Sunnyside Yard in Queens, NY. If I'm right, then the ENTIRE High Speed Rail Service & Inspection facility (supposed to be on the left of the train in this photo) is completely missing!
    [​IMG]

This is a screen cap from my Google Earth project for the NEC, labeled with where the train is.
    3.jpg

12 & 13) Nothing really to critique here. The Amfleet coaches look stunning!

14) This takes place on No. 1 track just west of Hell Gate bridge. The freight track (furthest to the right) should have wooden ties and has no catenary above it. Overall, not bad!
    [​IMG]

mp6.4.png

That's all I can really determine from these screenshots. I'm hoping to make a comprehensive list once the route is released.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 8
  16. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

After reading this, I feel very positive about this DLC. All the inaccuracies that you mentioned can be easily fixed.

• Like Like x 6
  17. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

In the image below it seems as though there may actually be some text on the platform screen to the right or is that my imagination?

[​IMG]

18. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Hard to say whether that's a screen or a sign with yellow writing.

19. NorthRail1

Looks more like a sign with yellow writing on to me.

20. GG1 4935

GG1 4935 New Member

I noticed a minor error from the screen shot of the TSW Amtrak train going over the Hell Gate towards Penn. The south bridge support on the Queens NY side is placed incorrectly, in real life the support structure is further back inland with a road running underneath the bridge. The bridge it is set correctly in the TS 2018 New York New Haven route

upload_2018-3-1_9-0-22.png upload_2018-3-1_9-0-33.png upload_2018-3-1_9-0-43.png

• Like Like x 9
  21. Daniel Bloch

Sad that the DTG routes looks all so clean, new and sterile, on the photos the route looks very dirty and old... I wish we could have that flair in TSW too, but that was allways the weakness of DTG. Awesome 3D-models of the trains but the routes look compared to reality totally different.

• Like Like x 4
  22. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

The sign on the platform says "Newark Liberty International Airport"

23. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

This seems like a pretty big oversight .. hopefully its something that is fixed on release. Good catch on this.

• Like Like x 2
  24. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Ugh, so many inaccuracies, especially with the catenary. The style of catenary on the Hell Gate Bridge is incorrect and doesn't match the look of the catenary gantries in real life. Also, what's with the big cluster of catenary poles and gantries near Hunter Interlocking? I know for a fact the Pennsylvania Railroad was more organized and neat when it came to catenary placement than this mess. And the double logos on the side of the ACS just gags me. Now I know these are pre release screenshots and if it were any other developer, I'm sure these issues would be ironed out before release. But this is DTG we're talking about. Chances are, these problems will still be in the final release, along with more bugs and inaccuracies to go with them and no matter how much we complain, they won't ever be fixed. Yeah, I spent money on this and pre ordered it. Despite being a very poor excuse for one, it is still a Northeast Corridor route and it still has me wanting to actually experience it for myself. That's the only way to truly judge it. Also, it could serve as a preview to what a real NEC route could look like if DTG ever gets their head out of the toilet (for lack of a better term that would probably get me banned) and actually makes a route longer than 30 or 40 miles.

If you really wanna check this out for yourself, pre order it now while there's a discount. I would not want to pay full price for this, because it looks like it's gonna be a flop.

• Like Like x 3
  25. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

As harshly worded as this is, I totally understand your grievances. The devs were notified about a lot of these inaccuracies. I hope some are fixed for release.

26. Daniel Bloch

27. John Murphy

And the inaccuracies aren't even the worst part. As I've experienced with a lot of other DTG routes in TS and with the Great Western Express route in TSW, I'm still wondering how far I'm gonna get before the game crashes. Mind you, I'm running this on an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 with 16 GB of RAM. My machine is more than capable of running TSW at max settings, yet I still get these problems. I went through just about every troubleshooting method possible with the support team and nothing worked in either game, which leads me to believe it was caused by some kind of bugs in the content. It's sad that we have this awesome game that has a lot of potential, but the developers of this game couldn't give a rat's behind about basic quality control. If it means waiting longer for them to iron out any bugs or inaccuracies, I'd be happy to wait.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  28. John Murphy

Yeah seriously. The NEC wasn't built yesterday and is VERY far from being completely modernized. They haven't even scratched the surface on modernization yet. I believe the dark dirty grimy urban and industrial areas it passes through give the NEC its signature look. I believe the NEC is at its finest when you railfan it in a heavily urbanized or industrial area (the best places for that are around Philly and NYC) in the late afternoon on an overcast, foggy, or rainy day in the middle of winter, when everything is all gloomy and gray. Maybe throw in a few patches of dirty snow on the ground. That's the NEC I love the best. I'd love to replicate that in TSW, except that according to the TSW dev team, the NEC was built yesterday and is all modernized and there's pretty much no other seasons except summer, seeing as there are leaves on the trees in TSW even in the "winter" setting.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Daniel Bloch

TrainSim-Jay : can you tell us how many passenger & freight services we will get in the NEC DLC? I hope more then the 13 freight services on GWE....
    And will there be some shunting services or just drive from yard A to yard B services?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  30. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Catenary seems to be DTG’s weak point with a lot of copy and paste, there isn’t really any variation like in real life. This is clearly shown on the Great Western Express route.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  31. funpapa621

funpapa621 New Member

Hi all, I am just starting to play on XBox. I got on the train at Newark Int Airport. It is asking me to open the doors, but I have no ideal on how to do that. I have gone over every button to try to find out how, and I am lost.

32. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Hold the left arrow on the D-pad for 1 second and door options will come up. You can also go to the conductor’s panel located next to each passenger door.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

When I saw this thread...my first thought was that there was a new loco DLC announcement. Nice bump from 2018 my man lol

• Like Like x 7
  34. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Well I just thought it could be a thread about Pacer :D

35. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Maybe it’ll be the p42 Dc locomotive?

36. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Yeah and the bloody DM30

37. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest