Least Favorite Route?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by solicitr, Jan 21, 2021.

?
  1. Bakerloo Line

31 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. Schnellfahrstrecke Kol-Aachen

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Sand Patch Grade

67 vote(s)
    34.9%
  4. Great Western Express

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Main-Spessart Bahn

6 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Long Island Railroad

52 vote(s)
    27.1%
  7. Northern Trans-Pennine

10 vote(s)
    5.2%
  8. Rhein-Ruhr Osten

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. Peninsula Corridor

16 vote(s)
    8.3%
  10. Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr

6 vote(s)
    3.1%
  11. Tees Valley Line

9 vote(s)
    4.7%
  12. Ruhr-Sieg Nord

6 vote(s)
    3.1%
  13. Rapid Transit

44 vote(s)
    22.9%
  14. East Coast Way

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  15. Isle of Wight

28 vote(s)
    14.6%
  16. Hauptstrecke Munchen-Augsburg

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  17. LGV Mediterranee

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Lots of posts about what people like, and want, and want more of; but not nearly as much negative reinforcement ("DTG, please let's not have any more like this")

For me it's Peninsula Corridor. Drab, flat, endless sun-blanched suburbia, and a massive converted freight diesel whose sluggish acceleration and wonky manual-lapped brakes make it about the worst possible choice for a commuter service.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Well, if you don't like a particular route - why buy it? I don't see any point in saying "I don't like this route therefore don't make another like it", as others will love that route. If there was a route and literally no one bought it or showed interest in it, then yeah but at that point, DTG would probably realise we don't want a route like that.

For me, it's any American route - because I don't care for American trains.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Inb4 a flood of Sand Patch Grade comments....

• Like Like x 1
  4. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

for me it's LIRR, it's a terrible representation of the real life route and it has the same lifelessness as most routes but its amplified by the sheer fact that it's one of the busiest routes in the world.

• Like Like x 5
  5. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the point of this thread at all.

6. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I think you should caveat it that you have to actually own and have played the route before you can vote for it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Well it looked to me from the OP that's where the thread was intended to go.

Apologies.

8. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Another thread on opinions, everyone is entitled to their opinions and those opinions are valid to those individuals. No need to strive for consensus.

For example, I think the Peninsula Corridor to be an excellent route and nicely detailed locomotives. Non self-lapping brakes work well and require a bit of skill to use correctly, the OP doesn’t like them, and that is OK.

I guess I question what is the aim of such polls and is there really any valuable information to be gleaned other than different people like different things.

• Like Like x 15
  9. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I agree. I really don't see the point of this poll. Nothing useful to be gained or learned.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Seeing as though there are 3 routes not in the poll (WSR, NEC & CNOS), I'll have to go with Pen Corridor for the ones which are.

Pen Corridor for me is just plain boring...mostly straight track exasperated by the fact it is one of the longest routes in the game. The locos are mostly boring to drive and the scenery has some of the worst distant scenery of all the routes

If WSR was in the list I would have chosen that though due its forced (albeit realistic) slow speeds.

I have honestly tried to like Pen Corridor & WSR...but they just do not click with me.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  11. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The least favorite routes I own are Rapid Transit (which I got for free ironically) Northern Trans Pennine and Haupstrecke Rhein Rhur. Rapid Transit doesn't look like a great route nor does the train. NTP is a old route that came with tsw2020 and I've used it a couple of times and I'm not into historic or old routes and HRR is a route I regret buying because it's so short and with all the variety, services can be done in a short amount of time especially the Regional Express services

12. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

Bakerloo line for me. Any subway line is a total waste of time and money, and should be put in their own game, or some tram sim or...something, anything. Just not a proper train simulator.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Unless you're willing to voice actual issues with the route I don't see the point complaining. For example saying that you don't like F40PH because it's too much like a freight loco's pointless, because it literally is. It's like reviewing a train simulator and docking points because you don't like train simulation, it just doesn't help anyone. So my picks are mostly based on bugs I've seen and heard that just hurt my enjoyment of these routes.

If we're counting TSW hands down NEC's my least favorite, poor beginning and end points, all sorts of scenery issues, and basically non-functional safety systems. Granted don't hate the route, if you don't care about elements like the safety system and aren't overly familiar with the area it can be fun, but overall I think it's pretty bad. I'll happily go with TS Classic's New Haven route over it any day.

Now if we're just talking TSW2 it's a bit harder, I'd probably say probably Main-Spessart Bahn, however that's with the asterisk that I've not put any real time into it. I've played a bit with the engines on Koin-Aachen, and they really need sound reworks. Now that on its own wouldn't would make me not play it, Rapid Transit after all has similar issues and I've put time into it. The big problem that tips it over the edge for me is they're apparently very underpowered, so banker services don't work properly. So I've been put off of playing that route till some fixes come along to address those.

If I had to pick out a route which I've actually put decent time into I'd probably say Sand Patch, mainly because of issues with banker services. From what I've played the AI seems to take control of the rear units and mess sets the controls back to default, so I can't configure the helpers right to control them from the front. I've also noticed that with the random distribution of types on eastbound freight trains sometimes can leave you underpowered and as a result your can't climb the hill. All of these issues show me that Sand Patch still needs a lot of work to be on par with Koin or Bakerloo.

14. solicitr

Well that is the point. CalTrain for whatever insane reason tried to make a commuter engine out of a freight locomotive- meaning it's probably not a route to be reproduced. And that is a separate issue from the blah, monotonous scenery and cookie-cutter tract houses.

-------------------

SPG: plenty of guides here and elsewhere on setting up banker engines. Very logical once you get the hang of it- you just have to check each cab yourself because, as you say, the AI or game setup does weird things.

Never once had a problem banking in MSB, at least in TSW2020, since the setup is absurdly easy, literally "push button." Maybe it's messed up in the TSW2 port; I don't know. But the scenery, and variety, in MSB make it maybe my favorite route. But then I actually like having PzB LOVE with me all the time.

15. Blacknred81

Since when was the F40PH ever considered a freight locomotive? It was designed originally for short haul passenger trains, but eventually replaced the Ill fated SDP40F. Since then it became a staple of both long distance and commuter railroads.
    CalTrain 900 7-30-89 Santa Clara CA MF orig.jpg

Yeah, it was based off of the GP40-2, and Norfolk Southern did lease a few from Amtrak, but it has always been 1st and foremost a Passenger locomotive.
    5a2db621b8c4d3d89b05b9d75d6b90ff.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  16. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

My votes for least favourite routes is;

Sand Patch Grade; although I can appreciate slow US freight when the scenery is interesting, SPG is mostly trees and trees and trees... I'm also having difficulties with the start-up procedures of the locomotives.

Rapid Transit; pretty boring flat landscape and only one type of train.

Bakerloo Line; although I can really appreciate the above ground section of the route, I think the underground section is way too long and too repetitive without interesting scenery. Unfortunately timetable mode seems to have no services doing only the above ground section of the route.

• Like Like x 1
  17. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a BAD route in TSW if you count out the bugs especially on console, there are positives in each one of them.

Rapid transit is not bad, it's just underdeveloped and not up to current standards. The 182 completely revived that route for me and made it worth purchasing. A smart move by DTG. I do occasionally return to it and it's finally receiving some love from the preservation crew now.

I quite fond of Sand Patch Grade, once you turn the HUD off, learn the signaling, drive as realistically as possible, listen to the radio chatter here and there, it's actually quite immersive. As an updated OG route, I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Even LIRR is pretty good. In spite of the fact that its representation, busyness, and overall feel isn't realistic, the signaling is complex, the train model and sounds are not bad and ATC is good fun.

Bakerloo has a bunch of potential, but due to time constraints, the execution suffered. The scenery and stations look fantastic minus the lack of grubbiness, the stock model is really nice, the "overground" and "underground" sections are neat, the performance is very good, but the absence of track/tunnel/ambient/air compressor sounds, station/train announcements, correct signaling, WCML trains/scenario planner and the core game poor passenger system make this route disappointing because the developers put a lot of effort into this product, unfortunately, it had to be rushed out in its incomplete state.

• Like Like x 2
  18. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Most of the routes are of interest from a driving point of view, even if not graphically correct.
    That said, I’ve never been tempted by the Lirr route.
    It eerily foreshadows the current plague...

19. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

If like me you don't see the point of this poll, then do not vote, other members will take part, what is wrong with that?.

Mike

20. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

But again the way it is isn't inaccurate to the F40PH, it basically is a reshelled freight diesel, and the lap system like it or not was very prominent on older locos, for what is being simulated it does a good job. I also disagree they should've hone with a different route because of it, a lot people like them. Hell, I got Peninsula Corridor initially because II had the F40PH, always like the thing even I'll agree ain't the most elegant or speedy thing, but that's just a part of the charm. And fact is they're very prominent in the US, they were Amtrak's main diesels for a long time, and at this point have been common on commuter railroads for even longer, so you kind have to do them eventually if you cover enough passenger routes in the US.
    I have tried setting them up, the issue is that whenever I switch from the from and back engines it requires me to give up control of the other end. When it does that the AI resets the controls, thus it doesn't save the rear configurations for me. As far as I can tell I am doing everything correctly according to user made guides, but that AI issue screws me over and I don't see how to get around it.
    That's not the issue, in TSW2 the locos don't have enough power for the helper services, so you will stall and can't complete the service. I'll say it's not something I've tried myself, but it's a issue that people have brought light a lot, just read the Steam reviews for MSB in TSW2 and you'll see what I mean. It's a shame because I otherwise agree, MSB is a very good route for the reasons you listed, if just got a messed up when it was ported over.

• Like Like x 1
  21. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I voted LIRR but I can see why SPG is disliked, even though it’s my current favourite route. It’s difficult and it has issues, not least the dynamic brakes on the poster boy train for TSW2, the big AC unit. The helper unit set up is difficult because it is semi fictitious, so even knowing how to do it leaves you feeling like something might be wrong. Full route drives take a long time and can be boring if you don’t like that slow grind through the trees. I love it even if I do fall asleep too often when attempting it. But there is so much love about the route.

I get more bored on LIRR, especially on runs up to Hicksville. I enjoyed the route for a while but it is the one with the least appeal to me now. There are much better options for commuter rail in the game now, with the S-Bahn options and Bakerloo offering more than LIRR and being of better quality. The route itself has plenty of opportunity for parallel running, so could be more exciting, but it almost never happens which is a big disappointment. The route is fading into history for me, while most other routes still get driven. It’s not as bad as NEC but as that is history now and isn’t on the list, so LIRR got my vote.

22. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

This is an interesting thread to read. It particularly highlights how you all have different preferences and why you don't enjoy certain routes.

Please do continue to share your feedback as it's helpful to understand both sides of the coin when it comes to what you do and don't enjoy.

• Like Like x 6
  23. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

My bottom two are definitely RT and LIRR. LIRR still has sound issues and has a fraction of the traffic that it has irl. If RT was just improved all round (LZB, more traffic, more variety in services), it could be a pretty decent route.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

SPG for me. Not a massive fan of freight and I wouldn’t own it but for TSW 2 including it.

25. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

Rapid Transit
    The talent 2 included is not the most well modelled train in the game (its the old, worse version) and the route in general is just quite boring to drive on after a couple of runs. The only interesting part of the route is Leipzig city tunnel and the stations in inside, they are very well modelled.

Long Island Railroad
    The sounds and physics of the train are pretty bad, the route isn't well modelled and it kind of feels like I'm driving in a post-apocalyptic New York with the amount of life here. AI trains are non-existent, especially at busy stations like Jamaica. This is the only route to me that doesn't feel alive at all (though I understand other routes have these issues on console due to the layers and amount of passengers limitations).

Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr
    Okay so the included rolling stock is good, but the route is too short, and there is nothing interesting about the route so driving along it feels pretty samey. It doesn't feel like a route with natural end points either, as I can't drive any train the full length of a service or a reasonable amount of time. I suppose at least it has a good amount of AI with the layers but it doesn't do nearly enough to make up for all the bad points.

Note: only routes I don't own are Tees Valley Line, West Somerset Railway and Isle of Wight.

• Like Like x 3
  26. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

Well as you can see from my earlier post I was not going to comment, but having just purchased The Isle of Wight route in the sale, what a disappointment. people jumping up and down on St John's Station, leaping out on the wrong side of the train. and the poor representation of the pier, and the sea looks like the frosted glass in my bathroom window. Guess how i am voting Lol.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  27. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

If it’s any consolation, you just saved me a purchase since I was looking for something new to hold me over until SEHS.

28. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I was considering the Isle of Wight route, Steam reviews were already a reason to be careful, but this review adds to that. I already considered the price tag quite steep, especially when compared to WSR. The discount isn't too amazing either.

Shame, as I was really looking for a new virtual train or route to play with. :P

• Like Like x 1
  29. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

To avoid giving up the service, try making the changes in the helper locos without actually sitting in the engineer’s seat. It can require careful positioning and crouching, but it should work.

As for the route I like least, I somewhat reluctantly put forth Sand Patch Grade. I love North American diesels, but the horn sound is a huge part of the immersion for me when I drive them. Also, with a relatively slow double tracked route, it is hard to encounter traffic that affects your trip. While it is a fun challenge to maintain track speed going both up and down the hill, it is rare to have anything other than a routine run.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I only voted for routes I own, otherwise I may have voted for LGV.

In mu vote: RT, no variety, no shunting, no freight, yards that you cannot access or use. I once bought it mainly to support the development of TSW.
    Peninsula Corridor: I loved the TS route pacific Surfliner because its mix of freight and passenger traffic. Peninsula corridor should have more freight and more variety.

Routes I like a lot: SPG, GWE, TVL, RSN, MAG and WSR. In general:
    - Love g=historic stuff
    - I love a nice mix of freight and passengers
    - I love a nice mix of uncomplicated driving and more challenging drives
    - I love activities with a duration of 15-45 minutes

• Like Like x 1
  31. argyle_smurf

argyle_smurf Well-Known Member

Not a fan of freight routes but don't see that as a reason to complain. My biggest disappointment so far has been IOW, it just feels so sterile and small and dull. I know we can't expect a fifty mile route with hundreds of services where one doesn't exist in the real world, but for the cost it just feels like it's no value for money. Also, the postcard image of the entire route, the iconic moment of rolling out along the pier, and the sea is so disappointing and blocky and badly textured. Such a shame.

My biggest complaint with most passenger routes is when the world feels more empty than it should. Again, I understand when not all the licences are available it is obviously difficult to fill a timetable but when its possible to stand at Munchen HBF or London Paddington or Jamaica in the middle of the day and see not a single train on any platform it can completely destroy immersion. I realise that I offer problems with no solutions, but hey, what can you do...?

32. tallboy7648

Not to mention that most stations have little or no passengers

33. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah if the stations had passengers it would make up for the loss of trains, at least with passengers the stations would look like they’re actually in use.

• Like Like x 1
  34. tallboy7648

They say the reason for the lack of passengers is due to performance but I play on a series x and I'm sure that console can handle an increase in passengers. Not to mention when there are passengers in a station, they don't get on the train at times but will be more than happy to get on a ai train going to the same destination as the player

35. grob-e

grob-e Well-Known Member

Definitive Bakerloo Line, stop and go in a tunnel, no external camera-views, no other trains can be seen, you can't even see your own tracks. You're just left alone in a long, dark, boring and unappealing tunnel. .

• Like Like x 2
  36. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

As it stands I’m happy with them using the same system as they do in TSXX, personally I think that quantity of passengers should take priority over quality.

I see people asking for them to have umbrellas and bags etc, but I really don’t get the point in improving something that right now barely exists.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

But the Surf doesn't have any freight content by default, it just had the Amtrak F59PH. The only thing freight add on-wise was a BNSF ES44 addon, otherwise it's just extra unbranded F59 skins. I'm also not sure how realistic having more freight service would be for PC. I get the impression that there's only a handful of them judging by the few and small yards and frequent passenger stations. Granted not a expert on the area, could be wrong and maybe freight's way more common on the line than I think it is.
    If I remember correctly I believe I did try that, but I don't think I could actually move any of the switches. I'm pretty certain the tooltips did appear, so I don't believe my position was a problem, with the AI in control it just won't let me configure it.

38. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s not as bad as it is on TS. There was stream of the TS route last night and the sea was represented as a completely smooth surface with perfect reflections of the clouds. It did make me laugh. I’ll take the frosted glass of your bathroom window over your bathroom mirror any day of the week, even if it still doesn’t look like the sea.

39. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Personally I think it’s interesting to see others views. Surprised bakerloo rating in there (was my least favourite). It’s like what I’d imagine a Fallopian tube to be like, one big tunnel and lots of traffic

• Like Like x 3
  40. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

I gave the vote only to Rapid Transit as it's the only route from the list I don't have any inkling to play and it has the most issues. The service mode offers little variety as well.

Other contenders have at least some redeeming features:
    SPG - very boring for me personally as I'm not into 2-hour journeys at 25 mph, but the route itself is beautiful to look at.
    WSR - same reason as the above, but the slopes and frequent stops make it more interesting.
    NEC - interesting route, but low on concent + not available in TSW 2

Honorable mentions:
    Oakville - don't have it since US freight is not for me.
    LGV Med - don't have it, the route is long but with low variety
    GWR - I haven't checked it in TSW2 since I've played it to death in TSW 2020, so I can't comment on the preserved version.

HRR - initially I didn't like it at all, but I'm warming up to it. It offers a great variety of services.

41. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I would have voted LIRR but I actually refunded it so technically I don't own it.

I actually voted GWE... Once you've done a couple of runs from Paddington to Reading and back, replay value is minimal. It should have gone to Oxford or Swindon and shouldn't have been built in the weird limbo of part electrified and part not (beyond Airport Jn.).

• Like Like x 2
  42. Blacknred81

Pretty much, the only major freight yards in the area are all long gone now from the Espee era, so the only real movemenr on the line is UPs local trains.

If only we had a backdated version with Bayshore and Mission Bay Yard.....
    Bayshore_Yard_1982.jpg
    Bayshore_Yard_1969.jpg
    a_bayshore1956.jpg

Mission-Bay-bw-looking-north-c-1980s-Santa-Fe-Pacific-RR.jpg
    a_chinabasin1956.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  43. Crosstie

Had to chuckle when I read this. I've been harping on about the water textures in TSW2 it seems like forever. To be fair, IoW is not alone in this regard. Even my beloved SPG suffers from poor water textures. Must be something to do with performance hits or memory usage because it's gotten zero attention from the developers. But I'll keep bringing it up. Even a broken record makes a noise.

• Like Like x 1
  44. solicitr

I would disagree. It's an SD40 road switcher with a cab body and HEP tacked on. But it still accelerates as sluggishly and brakes as wonkishly as anything hauling coal over the Adirondacks. EMD may have marketed it as a passenger engine, but it wasn't. Amtrak ordered the things because they were under a Buy American mandate, but neither EMD nor GE had built actual passenger locos in years, and Budd only made EMUs. The F40PH was marginally adequate in Amtrak colors for main-line passenger work, but certainly not for stop-and-start commuter service.

Nonetheless what CalTrain needed, and still needs, is a perky, fast-accelerating, fast-braking DMU like the Alstom Coradia, not a hulking freight diesel in passenger-loco makeup.

45. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_F40PH

With a 57:20 and 56:21gearing ratios give F40PH top speeds of 103 and 110 respectfully - definitely not sluggish in my book. Standard GP40s had a gearing ratio of 62:15 which has a top speed of 65 mph.

46. Crosstie

I have to agree. The F40PH and its variants are ubiquitous among North American commuter railroads and they're really out of place nonetheless. I watch them leaving my local station all the time and their acceleration is very poor. Once they get up to speed they're OK but they can't reach cruising speed with stations so close together. A quick sprinting DMU would be much more efficient, I agree, but Metra, for one, continues to favor the big diesel on almost all its lines.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  47. solicitr

Rather like an old big-block Galaxie station wagon, the top speed is fine but it takes a week to get up to it. That's OK for Amtrak, running a hundred miles or more between stations. On a commuter route, like Formula One, acceleration is what matters. You aren't going to get a CalTrain FP40 anywhere close to 106 between stops; rarely can you even touch the track-limit 79.

48. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

And railways in Britain needed to replace ageing and sluggish classes like the 101 & 43 with the 166 & 800. However that doesn't mean the older engines don't have their place in a simulator. Older engines like the 101, 43, and indeed the F40PH have a charm to them in part because they're not extremely nimble. They provide a different challenge than these new units that can practically stop and go on a dime compared to them.

• Like Like x 2
  49. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

The F40PH is based off of the GP40
    And there are Freight versions of the F40

50. tallboy7648

At this point, if we need to get ts style passengers just to get more people in stations, then I'll take it. It's better then getting no passengers in some stations

• Like Like x 1