Route Editor

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Petros Efthimiou, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Petros Efthimiou

Petros Efthimiou Member

Do you know if the developers will release route and world editor in train sim world 2?
    Thanks

2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

DTG have made it clear that they have no plans to introduce a full editor for TSW2 at this time. That could change at some point but it's not on the roadmap. However, they expect to release an upgraded scenario planner, probably later this year. No-one knows what this will include at the moment. This is my take based on statements in the various streams and on the forums.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

There will be no route editor coming to TSW.

4. Kazick

Kazick Member

On one hand I'm upset that we wont get a route editor. There are just too many routes in the world for just one team to try and build all the ones we all want. There is a line I like to run on that doesn't exist in full scale and complete in any sim. And it very likely to never show up in any sim. To have the TSW tools to build it my self would be very nice.

On the other hand, seeing how BAD the Railworks route editor is, I'm glad we don't have a route editor in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TNH

TNH Member

This just made me regret buying TSW2. I thought it will get an editor later as it was mentioned back in TSW days, and I feel pretty disappointed right now. This just made me look at TSW2 as a DLC factory...

• Like Like x 5
  6. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

on the release of tsw 2 they did talk about it not being a thing

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Sorry to be blunt but this is on you. You obviously haven't been following TSW news for at least 4 years if you thought the route editor was still coming.

Even when TSW2 was announced June last year, they had this in the official FAQ

Since this FAQ was written they have flat out told us there will be no route editor period. They have done this multiple times on these forums and multiple streams...there have been many threads on this over here and a quick search would reveal this to you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

Yeah, they have made it very clear time and time again that no editor is coming. While it's a shame, I do believe one day in the very distant future, we'll see something close to it, but likely not letting us make routes. I do think though that DTG should really try and get more and more development groups on board though with there being a lack of an editor. For the UK, they definitely need to try and get Just Trains on board at least. Idk why more devs haven't jumped on board, but I am thinking that there is likely not enough incentives for development groups atm. Whether that is Steam's, PSN's or Xbox's cut from games sold on their services, and maybe a cut from DTG, or if it's the fact that they want to be able to sell it on their own stores but can't. That second one wouldn't make much sense though as JT sell some TSW2020 + TSW2 products on their web store. Whatever it is, something mustn't be that attractive for development groups. I hope that changes though.

9. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I think the requirement to have the content working on both consoles may be a deterrent to some of the major 3rd parties as they are primarily PC devs...not just with the storefront requirements for each but they may not have access to dev consoles or have any wish to.

I'm not sure how much work is involved to obtain console parity...but it may not be insignificant and to them not worth the extra effort when they factor in the cuts Sony and MS will also take from their profits.

This is just an assumption on my behalf

10. Ant Craft

Yeah. It's a real shame though as 3rd parties have made incredible routes with lots of detail for TS1. We could do with more 3rd parties after some of the lacklustre, mediocre route building we have seen today on SEHS.

• Like Like x 2
  11. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

More 3rd parties seems be coming aboard, slooowly, but surely. For any 3rd party developer, it is a huge step, and risk to take. They have to learn basically everything from scratch again. Most of them more than likely have no, or very little, experience with both Unreal and SG? I do not think much knowledge will carry over from the old ways of doing things, more than perhaps working on textures and basic modelling, and a good portion of that is probably done quite differently too.

All this new learning stuff, will cost any company a lot of time and money. Resources that could instead be used to continue doing what they already know how to do. Mainly OGTS DLC. Making a new route is a huge undertaking and commitment for a long time. If not working out right, might even spell the end for them. Don't misunderstand me, though. I'd love to see a few more getting aboard. JT, AP, and whoever makes the vR locos, to mention just a few. Maybe some will in the future, others not. Plenty to play as it is, and more and more coming our way. I look forward with optimism, and think we will have a bright Train Sim World future!! :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I have good news for you. TSG already works with DTG and is behind a lot of the engineering, references, and sounds for the German content, and is a huge part of the reason why the Deutsch DLC is so consistently good.

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  13. Ant Craft

Yes, true. I suppose I am just a little impatient XD Just really can't wait till we see some more 3rd party devs, especially for the UK at least.

14. 2martens

2martens Well-Known Member

The official FAQ of Unreal Engine may offer a reason what the legal problems are:

"Can I ship a game that supports mods using the Unreal Editor or source?

Yes, and we have designed the Unreal Editor and launcher to accommodate this. We aim to build a unified development and modding community. Here is how this works: You’re free to release your game through any distribution channels of your choosing, however the Unreal Editor (including modified versions) and code may only be distributed through official Epic channels (e.g. the UE4 launcher for binaries, and GitHub for source), to users who have accepted the EULA."

This means in other words: DTG could make the editor available but only through the Unreal Launcher (like Epic Tournament). Plus, it would be limited to PC.

15. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

And you can have access to the editor if you are a third party dev and sign up to their rules concerning licences.

16. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Route editor was promised. It was previewed in a stream (that you can still watch). Then they ignored questions about when it was coming for quite awhile, and most recently, unequivocally stated there will no longer be one due to intellectual property liabilities combined with their own insistence that nothing they make be platform specific and they have no way of making an editor for PS and Xbox so they scrapped it.

It's a very touchy subject for most fans.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You missed a lot of discussion on this topic. The short answer is No, will not come. The long answer is that the original idea causes to many headaches with licensing issues and it is very complicated. If you just see what you need to do to build a route for TSW, I think this is not an option.

18. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

And how you think 3rd parties are getting the editor ? Thru Epic launcher too, this is not a legal problems as even DTG wrote before that editor will be downloaded only thru Epic Launcher.

19. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

What if they made the editor available to pc users but you could make new items and share them on a platform that was accessible to players on console too? They need to use a pc to edit stuff but they can play edited items on their consoles then?

• Like Like x 1
  20. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

From what i’ve seen in the screens the editor looks really immersive. It could be more user friendly or as I’ve said before community teams should probably work with DTG to bring experiences to TSW but we set our own deadlines. (Possible)

21. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

I think the real reason, given that the legal issues some people have mentioned aren't an issue as they can be bypassed by releasing through epic, is the fact that no matter how they make a route editor, it would be PC only. While I am part of the PC master race, given that around 70% of the playerbase is on the Inferior Console Version, I can see a PC only feature causing issues, as only around 30% would be able to use this. I tried using TS Classics already hard to use editor with my sisters xbox controller and it was a NIGHTMARE to use. TSWs editor on console if it was possible would be even worse to use. The current PC exclusives like bigger timetables are because of Hardware Limits. Mods would probably work on console if some guy finds a way to inject a mod into the game

22. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Well it's not one team (anymore) - also Rivet and Skyhook have done routes. And I'm pretty sure in a few years, TSG will also produce routes. Every now and then you hear from TS-classic developers that now most of them seem to be ready to develop for TSW. Of coure, it will take much time. Years. But more routes will follow - not only by DTG, but more and more by other 3rd party devs.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Schotti

Schotti New Member

Sorry-but

is not a problem - let them buy their own tracks.
    Prefabricated stuff without modification is completely uninteresting.

24. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to divert this thread, but want to note that I'd be more than happy with an expansion of the already extant scenario planner that would make switching activities possible. Frankly, the very idea of trying to create a route terrifies me, but as someone who made numerous scenarios for TS, many of which involved switching, I would very much like to be able to do the same in TSW.

• Like Like x 1