Coal Loading And Emd Diesels: No Slow Speed Control?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by solicitr, Jan 19, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Sand Patch is new to me, since it wasn't in my version of TSW2020.

The coal loading tutorial puts you in the GE AC4400, with computer slow speed control, piece of cake (similar control is found on the Class 66). But with the GP38 and SD40- do you really have to hold 1.5 mph manually? Or have I missed a box in the cab somewhere?

2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

You have to remember that the GP38-2 and SD40-2 are much older locos than the AC4400CW, so they lack the speed control and computers that the AC44 has.

So if you are loading coal with them, you have to control it manually, same thing with the C40-8W as well, as I think that doesn't have a speed control either.

• Like Like x 3
  3. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

Just imagine that they used to have to do it with a steam locomotive back in the day, certainly no slow speed control there

4. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

I just loaded (45 minutes ago) 50 cars with coal at the Shaw Mine using 4 C40-8W, and no, there's no speed control on them. Fairly easy to handle it manually, though. You just have to pay a little attention to what you are doing and adjust the speed accordingly with the independent brake.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, did the same service a few days ago. Not difficult to maintain 2mph or so, but it does take a heck of a long time. Actually used the auto brake on minimum.

6. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Be thankful you can load / unload while moving... in TS classic you must stop on each hopper before you can unload/load.... now that was irritating :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crosstie

Well, I think we can assume that the TSW2 Clinchfield route will have the slow speed coal loading like SPG, though I'm pretty sure it will have to be done manually.

8. solicitr

I remember that. I did a lot of creeping in Norfolk Southern trains!

9. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Try the ethanol loading in Oakville if you want something to test your patience. There everything is manual, including the loading process :D

Cheers

10. Crosstie

I just did a coal loading service at Rockwood on SPG and after I finished loading all the cars( or so I thought), no new objective appeared. On a whim, I backed up the entire train through the loader again until all the cars showed 100% full. A new objective then came up. I don't remember that happening before. Very picky I thought.

11. solicitr

Yep. Probably excessively so. I found the hard way that you have to keep it down to 1.5 mph to guarantee 100% loading.

• Like Like x 1