New Level Crossing System Coming To Other Routes?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by stijn.claessens, Jan 26, 2021.

1. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

Will we have trickle down effect to older routes from the new level crossing systems? Matt already said that the lights going green when ypu close the doors would be on the way out.

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

They said in the stream it should go onto old routes in time (it's part of Adam's remit), like departure boards, which are currently in production for a couple of the preserved routes. Given it goes hand-in-hand with a revamp of the signalling system, I imagine it'll take a lot longer for the preserved routes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I am very interested in how this can be implemented elsewhere the way it works on SEHS. As they're connected to signals and you get green only once the gates are down, wouldn't this make you go permanently on yellows/reds on let's say Peninsula Corridor where you have extremely long distances between signals about half a million crossings?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

yeah, they'd probably have to build different systems for Europe and the Americas. This implementation is only really appropriate for 2 of the 3 main types of gated level crossing in the UK, unless European crossings work the same way.

5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

LIRR will benefit from functional crossings as there are loads. I don’t understand the signalling on LIRR though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. max88183

max88183 Active Member

I would love to see the railroad crossings in the preserved routes. I really hope that Adam and the perseveration team are able to do this after departure boards and PIS.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i never saw no cars or pedestrians at the level crossings, strange

8. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

Lockdown 3;)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The absence of properly functioning grade crossings on Sand Patch and other routes was explained by the "performance hit" that would result from their inclusion. Seeing the well modeled crossing on SEHS, does that mean that this "explanation" was not valid?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It was more about the performance you don't see - they were checking for the presence of trains all the time no matter how far you were. The 3D models and animation had nothing to do with it.

11. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

This could be a question for Adam tonight.

12. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

There's no performance hit if you do things properly. You don't need to check every train position permanently, just once at the level crossing block. Once train has entered it barriers should never open until it leaves the block. So only two triggers or checkings are needed at the track block containing the level crossing and they will work for all trains and at all times during the whole day. This is the same principle of the collision detection in a buffer stop or the non electrified track sections, and we have tons of them that were never claimed to have any impact on performance.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  13. Crosstie

I get that. So how is it possible to include them in a new route and avoid the performance hit? Is there a new modeling system in place?

14. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Workable level crossing will come to other routes, but it was said not all at once. It will take a little time to get preserved content done.

15. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

DTG Protagonist or TrainSim-Adam because it is my birthday i will have to miss this one live. Could you give us some info on this?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This has been proposed many times in stream chats and on forums. It seems simple enough, but there might be some issue with this approach, IDK. I would think it would be the easiest way as well. "train detected at A - gates down, train left B - gates up"
    Well, the new logic seems to be pretty simple, so it should be fine performance-wise. But it probably won't solve all routes, just this one specifically, because it works like that here IRL.

17. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

What is the difference then with the detection of any train passage on a signal to turn it red when block is occupied? Do signals also have a severe performance impact then? Indeed we have more than level crossings and it´s just the same principle what is needed for level crossings. To me that given explanation seems to be more an excuse than anything else, specially as level crossings were working perfectly in the earlier versions of game and nobody ever complained about performance hits caused by them.

Cheers

18. Crosstie

Plus, they always seemed to be perfectly workable in TS right from the beginning, or is that what you meant?

19. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Yeap. This is Heavy Haul (the stage before TSW1) that included only Sand Patch route:

Once we started with the DLC party in TSW1 then some routes started to come with no barriers animation (always closed) and persistent warning lights and sounds. That was the beginning of the lazy approach till we came to the current situation where not even the warning sounds work. And now wow, we have a brand new system advertised with bells and whistles. Well... that´s life :o:D

Anyway I´m happy to have the level crossings working well. At this point I really don´t care about what the background of all this situation is. I hope that at least AI trains use their horns when approaching them. That would be something really new.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  20. Crosstie

Interesting. Actually I meant Train Simulator but your point is well taken. I'd forgotten about Heavy Haul.

21. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Not right from the beginning. I still remember it was introduced later.

22. Crosstie

Yes, I'm sure you're right, but it still begs the question as to why they were implemented in TS and HH, but not in TSW2. We were told they were too much of a "performance hit" but now suddenly they're possible. I'd like to know more.

23. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It
    It has to do with how the detection works. It was already described above.

24. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Now that we have working level crossings for SEHS we know how to implement it. However as has already been stated this is no quick job, and is certainly not a priority to introduce to other routes.

We will continue to focus on some of the more challenging problems with the preserved collection (such as the sound issues and game breaking problems) before we look at introducing working level crossings.

By no means am I saying we won't implement it ever, I simply want to ensure a realistic timeframe you should expect.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Would love working level crossings on ECW

• Like Like x 1
  26. Crosstie

Fair enough, I wasn't expecting any retrofitting in the existing routes in the near future, but only hoping they would be routinely included in future releases.