Sehs - Thoughts After A 2nd Stream

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Clumsy Pacer, Feb 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Today we saw the improved SEHS.

Broadly, I'm satisfied to see improvements have been made. Very nice to see freight services and railtours (although i personally don't care for the latter). It's a bit of a shame there weren't any improvements to the scenery at Hoo Jn, including the lack of platform although it does look a bit more used. Nice to see they've also fixed the hole at Rochester. While the ballest is still not fully correct, it's better than the mud we had before, and similarly the fence doesn't look completely right to me, but it's better than not having one.

According to a friend who lives at Gillingham, it's apparently completely wrong (dunno what, I've never been to Kent). I'll not repeat his very colourful language.

Any others' thoughts?

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. seancrabtree2003

seancrabtree2003 Active Member

Much better than the 1st stream. Having rode the route last September as research for this. Looks pretty accurate. Yes hoo junction has not got best Freight or liverys but much better to have something then not at all.

Only criticism is not being able to use lower ebbsfleet. And that some 395 do start at Faversham sidings.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

I am also pleased with some of the improvments, but with the fences, it feels like we have gone from 1 extreme to the other. Irl. you can see through them and there don't look like that nor are as tall. It's great to see the fences in for accuracy, but they need to be redone sadly. Especially since these new fences they have put in blocks a lot of the scenery around that area that you can actually see irl, due to the fences once again being see through and not as tall.

• Like Like x 12
  4. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

The gray ballast was so nice to see. It really changes the feel of the route, and gives it a unique touch. I'm really glad they listened, props to them for changing it in such a short time.

Though I don't care much for UK routes, so I probably won't buy it, but it's nice to see they made it (more) justice and I hope people will like it and it sells well in return.

• Like Like x 4
  5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I was pleased with what I saw. My main concern was the sounds in the class 395 which they said they were still working on and it seems they were telling the truth despite some people saying otherwise.

Sounds like the route is going to feel a little busier too. I thought it felt immersive at the end when Matt was walking around St. Pancras.

Looking forward to my copy downloading on Thursday.

• Like Like x 3
  6. JayTG123

JayTG123 Active Member

Waiting for londonmidland to comment/post... normally gets it spot on.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Clumsy Pacer

Yes it did. Like I said in the OP, the HS1 ballast seems to be much lighter IRL but tbh it's much nicer to see it actually grey rather than brown. It leads me to believe setting 2 different colours of ballast may mean the track needs relaying? Just a simple guess.

• Like Like x 2
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m sure he’s sharpening something as we speak...

• Like Like x 3
  9. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I could actually say that the ballast near St Pancras isn't actually a grey ballast, has more of a pinky/red tint to it, but I'd just be splitting hairs. Grey looked great. Happy with it!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well considering the whole route seems to use the same track everywhere, yes, making it to have 2 different colored tracks would probably require making a second type of track and relay it.

11. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

Definitely a good improvement, even though not 100% accurate according to the resident forum experts on the matter. Didn't personally care much about the ballast color in the first stream, but this does look better, for sure. Fence, nice touch, but as someone else already pointed out, it looks very tall, and blocks all the scenery. Better than nothing, again. Really nice surprise, though, with the freight services and railtours added. Didn't see that coming. Loving me some freight with the mighty 66.

A little sad to see so many other bugs, though. I mean the tunnel lightning - Ok, they are working on it, patch within days they said, fine. But then things like, oops no wiper sound, oops no instrument lighting, oops... Not a fan of these type things popping up on a pre-release stream like this. Even though maybe small things, they can be so annoying while in game. Especially if you encounter several of them in the same run, one after another after another. I recently had horn, instrument lights, and wipers all die on me on a SPG route...I was ready to throw the keyboard.

Anywho, nice that they listened to all our "whining" after the first stream, and this time actually tried and fix as much as they could. Miracles can't be done in a week or ten days, but they did what they could, and major kudos to them for doing so. So lets try and be happy with what we got. Thank you for listening to us DTG. :love:

• Like Like x 4
  12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I don't know if ALL the fences are see through and short but certainly the ones by C2C are pretty well represented now.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.518...gg!2e0!5s20090501T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
    That's a streetview from just East of Rainham (Essex) station and you can see the fence really is high, and totally not see through. This is true for about 3/4 of the urban Essex stretch of the route

• Like Like x 3
  13. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

Shocking to see how many bugs just arise in a preview stream...

• Like Like x 3
  14. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I wasn’t that disappointed by the initial stream to be honest, apart from lack of services, some audio issues.

But how refreshing, to see feedback being taken away and improved within the DLC. Good job, Matt, Sam etc. It really is good to see that you listen to feedback. And I think a few apologies are due from some people.

• Like Like x 8
  15. pendolino18

pendolino18 Active Member

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised!
    As far as I could see every major issue that has been raised over the last week also has been addressed in some way or another.
    The sounds are now there.
    The ballast texture has been changed.
    The fences are there (not quite what we had in mind but they are there)
    All Javelin services are in (even if not driveable)
    The timetable overall has been vastly improved such as cannon st/victoria services and being extended to gravesend. A nice touch was to change the 700 class services to be utilised by the 375. Depot runs are included.
    Hoo Junction and yard have been populated and is usable (with timetables services using it in an update)

All things considered, I think they have done really well regarding taking feedback on board given the time they had to do it in!

Once the 465 is in (which adds more variety) this will make for an all round excellent package!

• Like Like x 8
  16. Clumsy Pacer

Yes it is a shame to see these small bugs - of course no product can ever be perfect. I personally will give it maybe a week or two to see if these are ironed out, or possibly until the 465 comes out so I can get them both at once.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I really like the new services, the activity at Hoo Junction, the addition of freight and UK layers to the route. The ballast is grey which wasn't that important but nice to see and as I suggested the fence basically spoils the view but its nice some separation exists now. Not sure the OHLE has been changed in that part though still seemed to stretch beyond the fence. The hole disappeared too.

What I didn't like was the number of bugs found/visible *during the stream*. What are the beta testers doing? Your job is to press the buttons and see what happens, but as said above pretty much anything they tried didn't really work, no wiper sounds, no footsteps, no functionality on the left screen in the 395, no destinations for the new 375 services, Matt kept saying "I don't know why that doesn't work". There are going to be quite a few patches I think with the various issues found. Also when pulling into the final station in the 375 run at Chatham (1:31.22 in youtube stream video) there was a wierd blurring of the train standing in the platform next to us, just as we passed it. We know it is the release build for Thursday so we already know what won't work/look quite right.

So overall I am pleased they have addressed the main issues and I think when all of the patches and fixes and features arrive, along with the 465 its going to be a nice addition and be a good buy, just take care with the QA stuff!

• Like Like x 2
  18. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

That is a TSW2 bug, not specific to the route, I usually just quickly switch off Blur if another train goes by at slow speed, it is very noticeable on german routes, especially the ones with parallel running or while shunting on RSN for example

• Like Like x 2
  19. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Hello all, I've made my own thread here as I didn't want to clog this one up with a massive list.

Feel free to take a look.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Clumsy Pacer

Thanks londonmidland I did see the building now has a fence around it, and I don't remember that in the first stream.

Also, is it just me or was Stratford Intl brighter than it was before? Maybe due to change in ballast texture?

• Like Like x 1
  21. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

It's much better than before. The new ballast colour is much more realistic than the brown version. The in-cab sound is great to me, finally you can hear that you're moving in a heavy train. Many more services and variety which I also welcome since I have both ECW and NTP installed.

The fence, I can't comment on that. For me it's better than not having anything, although I was a bit surprised by it, there's a completely different fence in the TS 2021 version. Still, for me it's an improvement. That building on the right side close to the track at the beginning also looks much better, is not that close and there's some railing around it which makes it look much more believeable and realistic. I think the building block itself looks more detailed, too, I definitely had the impression that the route looks better than before (although that may be simply because of the better quality stream).

Overall I'm impressed, it looks to be a substantial route with much potential, especially when the 465 is released for it as well. Varied services, good visuals, better sound. If the developers can sort out the lighting issue in the tunnels then I'll definitely consider buying this one. It looks to be a great route with long-term gameplay and value. Also, kudos to DTG for listening to our feedback.

• Like Like x 5
  22. ARuscoe

Just had a check on the fence in TSx... Around about Rainham (Essex) station
    upload_2021-2-1_23-4-53.png
    The fence then changes to a standard metal pallisade fence soon after, but back again further down the line
    upload_2021-2-1_23-6-14.png

• Like Like x 1
  23. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

What really impressed me is how quickly they implemented the changes we’ve seen. It sort of raises the question, if they can do things that quickly, why have some things taken forever to be updated. That said, I’m really looking forward to the route. It’s got huge potential to be my favourite route so far and I’m really glad DTG listened to the community.

• Like Like x 8
  24. Clumsy Pacer

Assuming you're talking about already released stuff - it may be delayed because it has to be vetted for consoles which apparently takes longer?

• Like Like x 1
  25. ARuscoe

Simple numbers.
    Right now they've got their whole core dev team focussed on a big release and everyone's been working on this for the last few weeks so don't have to go back and remember how they did things a few months ago

When it's out there and released it goes to Adam's team (5 in number if I remember correctly) who have to go cap in hand to other teams to get bit's looked at or developed where necessary, but those people may then be working on something else, or have forgotten how things in SEHS were built so have to learn it over again (or try to dredge up the dim distant memory)

• Like Like x 6
  26. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I do like the additonal services but I do wish there was more 395 services but oh well. Hopefully we will get track noise on the classic lines as well because they seem non existent

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. tallboy7648

I wonder why they said then that the Faversham sidings aren't really used then when they are

28. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It is a bit odd. The sidings are used and where used in Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 2
  29. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Maybe the 465 will use them

30. tallboy7648

But if the 395s use them then surely dtg could've allowed us to use them. Another issue that I have with the timetable is with the naming of the 395 services because not all the 395s terminate at Faversham. Most go beyond Faversham. They should give the actual name of the terminus of the 395 when leaving london instead of it saying that it terminates at Faversham. Hopefully an update will come to sort that out

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  31. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

They did say that is due to the current PIS system, and they will be amending it further down the line when it works properly.

32. ARuscoe

Faversham "back road"
    https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...21-02-02/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt
    5 services today
    Faversham Down recep
    https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...21-02-02/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt
    1 turnback service today
    Favesham Up Sidings
    7 services not going to back road

13 services a day use the various sidings from what I can see (COVID timetable)

• Like Like x 3
  33. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I think the new SEHS fence would look a lot better if it was wooden as opposed to metal (like in TS). I believe the fence from HMA would be a lot more fitting than the fence they've used. Whilst I'm glad they've fixed it, it does feel like they've pocket the first asset they've come across as opposed to finding a better fit (and they have several closer fits from previous DLC)

• Like Like x 1
  34. hightower

hightower Guest

What was going on in the first tunnel on the stream?

Not the light cab, we’ve come to expect that as typical DTG fodder, but the flickering? It almost looked like it was snowing inside the tunnel, which I’m guessing it wasn’t?

I haven’t got far enough into the stream to see any of the other changes yet but by the sounds of it some good work has been done. I still don’t understand the way DTG work...why was it not just done this way in the first place?

• Like Like x 3
  35. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

Matt explains it in the stream if you listen to him.

• Like Like x 4
  36. hightower

hightower Guest

Explains what? I did listen to him but only got about 20 minutes into the stream.

Did you understand my post? I’m not talking about the cab lighting, which he did mention.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

From the cabviews I have seen, at speed you really cannot distinguish the material of the sound barriers, that is to say, from a static point of view they will look incorrect, but when driving the train, the purpose of this game afterall, the colour and the horizontal lines pattern replicate the real life effect about 90%. At 125mph you are not going to be able to see individual wood planks, so it's really not something that needs even more time spending on it, it's a suboptimal texture, like many others in this and other virtual environments. /shrug

As for the concrete wall/wire fence around Dagenham, there's no getting around the fact it is wrong, and personally I would sooner it not be there, but a fuss was made, and in the space of a week a solution was found. I suspect wire fence would have taken significantly more memory as it's a much more complex asset particularly when rendering shadows, than a blank wall, as well as taking longer to make look right, which may have led to: delayed release, and or dips and splutter along sections of the line that currently run smoothly. As it is, the 80 seconds of driving past the incorrect fence isn't going to be a particularly big deal to me.

• Like Like x 3
  38. Clumsy Pacer

Matt said it's basically outside light coming into the tunnel which is then being stopped.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

The sparkling effect is also due to the lighting anomaly and will be fixed with the update that comes shortly after the route is released. So it should be all gone.

40. ARuscoe

I'm guessing that's part of the same problem, components of the tunnel causing light to flicker or act in strange ways when there shouldn't be any light in the first place

• Like Like x 1
  41. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I like what has been done. I think I heard Sam say they wanted this route to be available sooner. This and the announcement for an bug fix round after release confirms DTG is in a hurry for reasons I do not really understand. Would be nice to know.

Still, looking forward to play this route

• Like Like x 2
  42. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I understood this route is already late, and from the stream it looks like it was not really finished yet (a lot of "that should be working" and a lot added to "the list"), but I guess if they delay the release date again it would clash with the Class 465 release, and drag its release date as well, given the fact SE HS is the base for the 465. Given the fact Hamburg-Lubeck could not be that far away maybe they just decided to release a half unfinished product and update it after release (somewhat like LGV), so it doesn't affect any other DLCs in production

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  43. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Matt addressed this in the stream- while in the real world, darkness is the default condition and light has to be supplied, in a computer virtual world it's the reverse: everything is lit by default, inside and out, and if you want darkness you have to make darkness.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

One of my first thoughts while watching was DTG shut up and take my money <3
    There are plenty new Services, including freight, Thameslink and wagons as scenery in Hoo Yard, proper Javelin Sounds imo, walls for the HS1, new ballast (way better than the NTP looking brown one) , there is a model for the QE2 Bridge, the hole after Rochester isn't there anymore and all of this in about a week. Also there will be Updates and Patches shortly after the release.
    I am hyped. :)

• Like Like x 5
  45. Clumsy Pacer

Money ;)
    Always the answer when it comes to software companies - they tend to prefer to release something then patch it, rather than delay the release.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Think the railside building on exit to St Pancras is still questionable, but theres enough there to convince me to buy this route. Think theyve done about as much as they could in terms of Hoo Junction, wise choice to have the ecw stock with livery designer function dropping today.

• Like Like x 1
  47. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

i understand your post and he did mention the flickering in the tunnel as well as the lightness of the cab in the tunnel

48. lmcpfc2014

lmcpfc2014 Well-Known Member

I'm really glad with the improvements, the white building outside St Pancras does look a bit close but I don't care. As someone who was riding these trains everyday the sounds of the 395 are pretty accurate and the addition of more 375 services and freight has made this route possibly the best one yet.

• Like Like x 3
  49. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Light in the tunnel is going to get a patch shortly after release. The flickering Im pretty sure is Matts FXAA setting reacting to the light. We might not see that with TAA.

• Like Like x 1
  50. tallboy7648

Hmmm Intresting. So I wonder why we can't use the sidings then if they are used. It would be cool to take the 395 to a siding

• Like Like x 1