Sehs - My Thoughts Post Stream

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Feb 1, 2021.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Hello all.

After seeing today's stream, I have mixed opinions about it and I will share my thoughts below:

The good:
    - Extra services for the 375, plus freight and rail tour opportunities.
    - Hoo Jcn now useable with static assets to make it look populated.
    - Ballast looks a lot better with a 'middle ground' option, seeing as the route shares one texture. Not too light and not too dark.
    - Nicely modelled Class 395 'Javelin'.
    - Nicely modelled and detailed stations. Specifically St. Pancras, although its pretty dark in there. A lighting fix post patch perhaps?
    - Nice looking signals with corrected colours and new designs.
    - St Pancras approach scenery seems to have improved somewhat. Although that infamous white building still looks far too close.

The bad:
    - Very ugly looking 'Trump Wall' style fence for the HS1 section.
    - *Lighting. Dubious looking in a lot of places although this was said to be fixed in a post release patch.
    - Class 395 sounds are very disappointing, with a lot of flaws and 'recycled' sounds from the 377. Generally sounds far too quiet with the absence of 'running' sounds as well as some weird 'spacecraft' noises when passing.
    - Scenery still looks pretty bare in places

Additional:
    - PIS is unable to display intermediate calling points for stations off the map?
    - Class 375 is unable to display all destination, such as Cannon Street as it hasn't been programmed and is using an older PIS system. Possibly the same as the ECW Class 377.
    - Class 395 Train Management System seemed buggy and/or with very basic functionality. Clicking the buttons didn't seem to do anything?
    - Class 395 dials backlight doesn't seem to work?
    - Quite a few things that didn't work were passed as 'It should be working'. I shall await further information on this.

Will I buy it?

I'm still deciding on this part, however I'm hoping the things listed in 'additional' will get fixed, as well as the Class 395 sounds.

If I do buy this route, I intend to spend my time modding this route to make it look and feel better, so for all you PC users, look out for some potential future mods by me for this route.

• Like Like x 23
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This is pretty much accurate, I posted on one of the other review posts the streetview just east of Rainham (Essex) which shows the fence in detail

• Like Like x 3
  3. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

As always you've raised some great points, just a few point's I'd like to raise on your points.

• "The wall" it's an accurate representation now of what is in place in real life! Expect they made it out of corrugated metal and not wood.
    • The TMS system of the 395 has basic functionality due to it being codes you have to input, and Matt did say in stream 1 that it was removed as it wasn't really something they would have us as players doing. It's the same TMS as most of the preserved collection trains.

• Like Like x 4
  4. ARuscoe

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

The wall is way too tall towards the tunnel. It's one long stretch rather than fences built onto concrete. You can't even see through it. But I guess, at least there is some sort of force exhibiting object surrounding HS1.

The sounds on the 395 still need a small bit of work. Volume adjustment on the running sounds is a definite need externally. It sounded like a toy phaser blaster in the stream without the heavy rumble and rush of wind and sounds of steel on steel.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ARuscoe

:D

• Like Like x 2
  8. londonmidland

Bryer ARuscoe Hi,

As you can see in the two screenshots below, both pictures are taken in identical locations (the track point-work gives this away). However SEHS's fence looks vastly different as well as being too high and non-see through compared to the real life location.

The bit with the higher, non-see though fences is further down the line.

upload_2021-2-1_22-59-22.png
    upload_2021-2-1_22-59-36.png

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 17
  9. seancrabtree2003

seancrabtree2003 Active Member

Notices as they said April this year the timetable well there is a real one leaves later than in game 1F76 2355 St Pancras International to Faversham and also 395 and 375 using Faversham Sidings so seems odd we not using them in he game

• Like Like x 3
  10. londonmidland

Hello, I believe this is down to an issue with the timetable within the game. It has issues with services overlapping midnight so I think it can only do services from 00:00-23:59/00:01-00:00

• Like Like x 5
  11. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

You complained there wasn't a fence separating the two lines, now there is one, you're complaining it's not accurate. Personally they've done what you asked and added a fence in, yes it's not 100% accurate for that one location, but they've added it in. The real life image is a 8ft high steel wire fence on top of 6ft concrete I believe, but I could be wrong.

• Like Like x 14
  12. ARuscoe

Also forgot about the "spanning OHLE gantries" which they haven't changed

• Like Like x 8
  13. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

That could of been a major rework requirement, which would probably involve reenabling the OHLE along the whole section. You might see that adjust later in the development of patches, but I'd imagine removing OHLE would require it to be completely "re-energised" in the game enviroment.

• Like Like x 4
  14. ARuscoe

I've thought about that and my conjecture is that they're starting the day's service correctly at about 4am, but they are not allowing (or not able to allow) for "24 plus hours", ie anything past midnight which IRL would be "same day" for the services, but obviously technically are next day

Maybe there's some sort of technical issue which doesn't allow them to run services from 04:00 - 01:00 and count as one day (mostly likely they cannot set anything to START after midnight and call it same day)

Same for the 375 services, The last outbound service to Thanet (Margate/Ramsgate) used to be about half 2 in the morning, COVID timetable shows last through train at Gillingham to be 1am with some terminating there until 02:02 so we're missing some stopping services in that time band also

If I remember correctly simsig got around this by having hours 25/26 etc so don't know if that's something DTG would consider, if they were able to then mask the time in game as 00/01 etc

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. ARuscoe

Yeah, I know. It did kind of make me look when I saw it, but there's only so much they can do in a week (and only so much they might want to do in the future)

• Like Like x 5
  16. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I like what I saw. It was a much better improvement then the previous stream. Although I don't get why the 395 and 375 has no window tint and why they didn't bother to fix the innacurate sounds of the 375

• Like Like x 5
  17. tallboy7648

I guess they weren't bothered to add a accurate fence and took inspiration from Donald Trump to add a Trump style wall on the route not to mention they didn't fix the ohle so it's modeled innacurately on this roue but maybe it will be one of the fixes post release

18. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Not to be mean, but if you order a steak in a restaurant, get a raw piece of meat, complain it's not cooked and then are given a burnt one, will you be satisfied?

• Like Like x 13
  19. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I would, but that's because if you eat a raw piece of meat you might literally die, and if you burn something to high hell you'll be vomiting the contents back up and all over the table, which is unpleasant for everyone involved. In comparison not having a fence along the route's a tad annoying but very much livable, same with having a inaccurate fence.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Don't know what steak restaurants you go to, but I always have my steak medium rare, so it's partially cooked.

Which is what this fence is, the medium rare of fences, its not quite right but its not quite wrong.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I mentioned it in another thread on the 2nd stream review, I think in the PlayStation board, that the OHLE would probably need a complete rework of the way the route is powered.

What I mean by that is that they would remove the current OHLE crossing the 4 lines and that would remove the electrification of the route, and it would then need to be retested and made sure power was running through the route to Ebbsfleet, which would be a major change for the dev team to do in a week.

22. ItsYa165

So wrong fences are better than right fences...

• Like Like x 4
  23. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

A fence is better than no fence... Pretty good for a weeks work....

• Like Like x 9
  24. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

In this instance yes, the fences are there, and while it is only so tall on one side, and even the incorrect material, the fence at least does what the IRL one does, which is separate the HS1 line.

I think the issue at hand is that they simply did not have the asset, but there are probably better ones they could of used, but at least it is there and wrong rather than the tracks just being baron of any infrastructure except some old piping and incorrect OHLE (OHLE is still there however.

• Like Like x 6
  25. ItsYa165

It's a good placeholder.

26. ItsYa165

They have loads of assets. They have all the TS1 assets. They could've pulled fence assets from GWE's construction site at Paddington. You can actually see through that.

• Like Like x 4
  27. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Like I said, they probably do have other assets available that would be better suited, who knows why they went with that one, my point is that what is there now is actually better than nothing at all.

• Like Like x 4
  28. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I don't think that the TS1 assets are easily imported into Unreal Engine.

Again the preserved collection assets might be different from the current Unreal engine assets, so might not transition correctly.

So you might have got what was "on the shelf" so to speak.

I think the walls from the Koln route would have been better than what they used, but we've got a fence.

29. ItsYa165

Agreed. It opens modding opportunities so the community can improve upon it.

Attached Files:

30. ItsYa165

It's just a mesh. Fairly straight forward to import.

• Like Like x 5
  31. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I'm not a developer, so I'll take your word on that.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I heard running sounds.

33. markhazeldine

markhazeldine Well-Known Member

I love the improvements made within a week. Good work DTG. Sadly there are still some big visual innacuracies. None of them want to make me cancel my preorder, but it would be good to see them addressed in a patch. Those are:
    The new fencing is about 50% too high
    The fence at Dagenham should be concrete at the base and then chicken wire on top and it's much lower in real life
    OHLE is also incorrect at the same point
    The buildings on your right as you leave St. Pancras are quite a lot different

• Like Like x 8
  34. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

On the stream, the run with the 375 from Faversham to Chatham, I thought the lighting/weather setting looked sublime.

TrainSim-Matt - can you confirm what .ini settings if any you had enabled, please?

I was just curious, as I’m also running a 2080 Super.

londonmidland I think that’s a really good review, for me it’s a day 1 purchase (it was always would have been). But I think it’s good to see people giving DTG credit where it’s due, there’s some outstanding issues, but they’ve taken on feedback, and definitely improved on what we saw the other week.

• Like Like x 2
  35. tallboy7648

It shouldn't be difficult to import mesh to a new route

36. ItsYa165

I've already done it loads of times but I can never remember how to properly instance materials

• Like Like x 1
  37. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

"You lot wanted a wall? I'll give you a wall!!" :D

Joking aside, I'm quite happy with what DTG's pulled off, addressing much of the concerns we raised in last week's preview stream. Credit where credit is due!
    The route past Ebbsfleet going towards London looks far better than it did in the first stream, and I appreciate that the tunnels look a lot more believable (aside from the wonky cab lighting itself, but that'll hopefully be addressed soon), and I really liked how there was light slipping through the partial roof structure at either ends of Stratford Intl. The lighting in general felt better than before, but that might be down to the specific weather settings.
    (Quick side note: I've noticed those shiny sun reflections on the rails...can we please have that in the release builds? Especially for consoles?)
    Ballast colors, whilst not perfect, it does make the route look drastically better! Oh, and there's the freight services out of Hoo Yard! I genuinely wasn't expecting that.
    Despite the shaky start, I think I'll go ahead and add SEHS to my collection, and that's thanks in part to the positive reception of feedback. It's an interesting, unique route, with a good healthy variety of services. And now it's made even better with all the fixes!
    I'm definitely looking forward to Thursday :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  38. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

That's due to the AA setting that Matt uses.

• Like Like x 2
  39. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Seems like it. The reflective rails look really nice and would be great to have the option for different AA settings for console.

I suppose it's another thing to add to the list and stick it in the list of lists ;)

40. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

They have obviously done a lot a work over the last few days and tried to address issues, obviously there will be a minority who will never be satisfied but I don't think we will ever see 100% accuracy, however I think they deserve some praise for making an effort. Personally I preferred it without the fence as it looks ugly with it, but if there is a fence there in real life then I guess it should be in the sim. I thought the class 395 sounded better, I don't think you get the full experience of sounds on the streams anyway due to the chat over the game and the game possibly not being as loud as we might have it on our own systems.

• Like Like x 9
  41. Jalio

Jalio Active Member

londonmidland I’m looking forward to your mods for the route. I admire the mods from the community and they make a huge difference.

• Like Like x 7
  42. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Well talking steaks usually means beef, that one is relatively safe to eat raw, some recipes even straight up go with raw beef. Anyway if was meant just as an analogy. Going from 0 to 200 % completely jumping over the ideal middle.
    Yeah, medium-rare represents the best one (love it myself as well). This fence is however overcooked. :D
    There are many assets already in the game pulled from TS1, for example, the cathedral in Köln. It does not have to go anywhere or have any unreal engine properties, it's just a 3D model being pulled over. With fences, the problem might be though that the asset has to repeat somewhat automatically and that might require some properties behind it. That being said there are definitely better candidates already in TSW to be used instead of this Game of Thrones wall.

• Like Like x 3
  43. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I’m glad I bought it.
    There may be a few infelicities (great word), but nothing game breaking.
    I’m not worried by the fences, or lack thereof, but the clumping activities of the passengers was a trifle odd.
    Some platforms were empty with noisy conversations and another packed like a football excursion.
    Always makes me uncomfortable stopping at stations with no one waiting or alighting.

• Like Like x 3
  44. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I have finally preordered as I feel the stream showed a good effort by DtG to address the points brought up in these forums. Obviously still plenty of bugs to sort out, but I was pleasantly surprised. It is good to know that they listen!

• Like Like x 6
  45. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I was pretty happy with that I saw. They did go a little overboard with the fence/wall. It is accurate in its high and look but only for certain stretches. DTG seems to have painted it in with a rather large brush anywhere there was any type of fencing. Comes across as ham fisted and very much "oh you want as fence? Certainly not something that is any sort of deal breaker. More of an eye roll than anything.

I was happy to see they found the issue with tunnel lighting and confirmed it will be fixed soon after launch.

Also, I have no real issue with the running sound volume as I trust Matt when he says that in reality the cabs of the Javelin are rather quiet with little to no running noise because the traction units are so far behind the cab. Some folks want more running noise, but if that's not really accurate...then what are we doing?

Edited by DTG Natster to remove inappropriate language.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  46. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

Watching the second presentation, I would say the route is in good shape to be released. Admittedly the sound of the Javelin still isn't entirely convincing, so I'm hoping on some kind of revision on that area in the future. Other than that I can't really complain upon - number of services has risen considerably, pending additional freight services, making the route feel more alive. Scenery has been updated, as per community's feedback and lightning issues in the tunnels are being resolved. At this point I should retract my claim that DTG doesn't consider our feedback as they've clearly done so in this case.

• Like Like x 3
  47. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

The issue with noise is audio occlusion, it happens with other trains too, and some are even more severe than the 395, it's just more pronounced with the 395 with it's quiet cab.

For more noise, I recommend this simple step; leave the cab doors open.

• Like Like x 1
  48. tallboy7648

That simple step is a good compromise

49. Analogue Anomaly

Analogue Anomaly Member

Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 20.50.21.png Still not addressed my major issue which is that the buildings just outside St.Pancras are all wrong!

• Like Like x 1
  50. polarisneo

polarisneo Member

From my experience, St. Pancras is always a pretty dark station in real life too even on those upper platforms. Lot's of large buildings surrounding the station blocking natural light from entering, the canopy doesn't help either.

Although TSW2 is famous for it's lighting issues so it most likely does need adjusting lol.

• Like Like x 3