Sehs - My Thoughts Post Stream

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Feb 1, 2021.

1. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

And not forgetting the bonuses of the east Kent working level crossings and the departure boards on platform that now accurately reflect how long a train will be on sehs

• Like Like x 5
  2. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Can't view the link, but the only issue I've seen is the big white building before the first short tunnel is too close to the running line by about 30ft.

3. Analogue Anomaly

Analogue Anomaly Member

Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 20.50.21.png
    Yes it does look a bit closer than I recall, St. Pancreas basin and the barges look awful, the 3 silos in the game are actually old gas holders, two of which have been converted into residential buildings and the third is a park. Also no clue what DTG used to model the brown building in the picture either??

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

They're not going to recreate in detail a relatively unimportant collection of buildings like that.

If they replaced St. Paul's with an office block I'd understand the complaint, but them not accurately rendering a relatively anonymous collection of apartments and empty gas holders isn't a major issue imo.

• Like Like x 13
  5. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Oh do behave! Next you'll be asking for toilet paper in the 4 foot at Leeds station to replicate a dump you had on the Transpennine route in 1981..... Give DTG a break. Who is actually going to stop and look at these on the route?! Not many people, probably a handful. I'd rather the route works properly rather than have 100% accurate buildings along a route.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Analogue Anomaly

Analogue Anomaly Member

Don't be silly we all know DTG lavs don't work!

on a serious note - anyone who has been on this route will tell you that you spend 60% of the time in a tunnel. The first couple of minutes leaving st.pancras is about the only bit where you see much of interest (and anyone of the many thousands of people who commute on the line will know this area has been heavily redeveloped) I'm not expecting much here, I'm talking about around 12 building you can see - the only 12!

• Like Like x 1
  7. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Not to be pedantic but your tunnel running time is probably about 20 minutes max including the 2 Strood and Gillingham tunnels, and your average journey will be about 60 - 70 minutes.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Analogue Anomaly

Analogue Anomaly Member

Fair enough - just pointing out that this is probably at least architecturally the only part of much interest, seems a wasted opportunity to not do it justice, particularly when you will be crawling along at this point.

• Like Like x 3
  9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Erm, no you don't
    St Pancras - Stratford - 8 mins, 7 mins in a tunnel (Stratford is in an underground box with an open roof so not a tunnel
    Stratford to Ebbsfleet - 12 mins, two tunnels, probably about 5 mins total
    Ebbsfleet - Strood 14 mins, 3 or 4 in tunnels (you enter at 70 and exit at 15mph so if you're in the rear car you spend longer in the tunnel than at the front)
    From then on there's tunnels either side of Chatham and that's it, so "60% in tunnels"?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Analogue Anomaly

Analogue Anomaly Member

See above - tunnels / concrete / fences / trees - as a daily commuter on this line for some years my point is this part of the journey where you crawl in and out of St.Panc has some quite interesting architecture - seems a shame not to do it justice; for what it's worth I thought Strood to Faversham was well done!

• Like Like x 2
  11. ARuscoe

Oh I agree, the exit portal, crossing the Kings X lines, the loop from MML to WCML, the various concrete works, and the normal blocks close to the line, but the statement was you spend 60% of your time in tunnels. Maybe on a delayed commuter at 8:30 in the morning if you're waiting a tunnel exit, but I admit in the few dozen times I've used the line from GRV to STP or STP to GLM I've never had too much delay, hence questioning the figure

• Like Like x 1
  12. Analogue Anomaly

Analogue Anomaly Member

I should have said there's bugger all to look at for at least 60% of the route!

13. ARuscoe

Depends on your interest... I love looking at the sidings about Dagenham, especially if there's a 66 or 08 moving about, I used to live and work in Gravesend so look for where those points are, Northfleet can have some interest... Depends on if you've done the route so many times you end up playing sudoku for 20 minutes and then start looking for your ticket again.
    At least it's better at 21 mins than 58 from GRV into London

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I was going to ask whether having a Gronk in the sidings would be possible/realistic or not but I figured the many Gronk fans on the stream would have asked if it was. Don't think there are any TVL dependencies in at the moment. They did say some shunting was coming so maybe they will add it in a patch.

15. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Shunting at Hoo Junction is done with a 66.

• Like Like x 1
  16. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would have said the approach to Rochester with the Cathedral, Castle and the bridge of the Medway was architecturally the most interesting!

17. ARuscoe

As Bryer says above they use the 66s to do shunting, often shunting out onto the mainline between passenger services to move between the yards or do run arounds
    There's a level crossing just West of the yard which is a good watching spot. The crossing was shut last year due to too many near misses with idiots crossing when the line wasn't clear but the old pedestrian gate spots are there so you can get directly lineside and see both ways whilst still being behind barriers

18. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

St Pancras is a well lit station irl as it lets in a lot of sunlight

• Like Like x 1
  19. sharkey#9239

sharkey#9239 New Member

all though I agree with most of your post I do disagree on the sound aspect, By no means is the sound perfect it needs some improvement but the complaints about its quiet is getting stupid now, the Devs have explained and as someone who has been on a Class 395 in real life I can also confirm they are a quiet train....... Everyone wanting to have more of the Traction motor sounds in the cab is getting a bit silly IMO it will break immersion not improve it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Oliver

Oliver New Member

The defence is getting pretty silly, too. 'Everyone' isn't asking for more traction sounds. They're asking for more running sounds (like in the post you quoted). Things like track noise, flange, vibrations, squeaks, rattles. Anything like that. Yes, we've heard countless times how the cab is quiet. That's fine. But what it highly likely isn't is just a box with something that I can only describe as white noise. It sounds dreadful and is so unconvincing.

The thing is with a sim (game), we only have 2 of the senses that a driver would have. Sight and sound. We don't have the physical side of it. So what we see and hear have to be all that more convincing.

The TGV sounds are amazing. Yes you've got the motor sounds there, but you've also got the rumble of the tracks, that rattle of whatever it is that's rattling. And it all gets louder the faster you go. There's none of that in the 395.

I purchased LGV purely on the strength of it's sound, because let's face it, it's scenery is far from perfect. But I can look over some of that because it sounds so amazing.

On the other hand, last night I got a refund for SEHS, because I know I don't enjoy driving the rolling stock with lifeless cabs.

I'll be keeping an eye on the YouTube channels for what changes might come along in the updates, but I'm not holding my breath.

I crave more UK routes, but I'll be having plenty of fun on the German routes, which provide probably provide more variety than the UK routes so far, anyway.

• Like Like x 6
  21. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Sorry, but this simply isn’t true, no matter what the developers say. The only sound you can hear whilst driving the 395 is a subtle ‘running’ noise. Not even any air-con sounds or anything.

At this moment in time, there’s something seriously off with the 395 sounds. For a train which promotes the routes, it’s seriously unimpressive.

• Like Like x 7
  22. theorganist

I think I will wait till I have the route downloaded and can hear it on my own system before deciding if the sounds are inadequate, I don't think the streams really show the sounds off well especially on quieter trains. The run sounds are important certainly, I don't like driving older stock on TS1 now without them as you really notice them or lack of them.

I would rather the sounds were realistic even if that means they are quieter and less immersive than unrealistic but louder sounds. I have seen criticism of AP in cab sounds being too quiet compared to outside the train, even though that reflects reality.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  23. Oliver

Oliver New Member

Yeah, that's true, and I always put my headphones on and ramp up the volume when watching them. TGV sounds came across very well in streams.

I just want something to grasp onto that tells me that the train is travelling over 200kph. You can literally skip around the timeline on the SEHS videos, and it doesn't matter if the 395 is travelling at 50kph, 200 kph, in a tunnel, out of a tunnel, it all sounds exactly the same. Absolutely lifeless.

• Like Like x 3
  24. theorganist

Well I shall find out tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  25. sharkey#9239

sharkey#9239 New Member

Never said there wasn't work needed at all as I stated in my first comment, just annoyes me when everyone goes its too quiet. most peoples comments I've seen has been over traction motors. Aircon etc yeah I agree needs work but the train is still going to be quieter than most when those problems are sorted. true judgement will be best when we have it running directly on our machines :)

• Like Like x 1
  26. sharkey#9239

sharkey#9239 New Member

Beg to differ alot of the complaints I've seen about the web has been moaning about how quiet it is i.e traction motors etc, Aircon etc yeah that needs work for sure and more of the background feel of the track sounds for sure needs work. but regardless I feel the train will still be quiet as thats how it is IRL

• Like Like x 1
  27. sharkey#9239

sharkey#9239 New Member

Aye sound update pass is due after launch so hopefully it improves but until then we don't really know.

28. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Important question: Does anyone know what the 395 cab running sounds etc, should sound like? Any videos, or real-life experience?

• Like Like x 2
  29. sharkey#9239

sharkey#9239 New Member

there is this video from youtube of a guy sat in the First Carrage just behind the driver from 4 mins in

Very quiet machines. lovely to ride on

30. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

31. Oliver

Oliver New Member

And you can hear brakes and track noise. It sounds different in the tunnels. All from a low quality phone recording. Actual ears would pick up even more.

• Like Like x 4
  32. sharkey#9239

sharkey#9239 New Member

AND AGAIIN MULTIPLE TIMES I'VE SAID the sound needs work yes but the motors them selves are quiet and the Cab overal sound is quiet and even with the brake and track noise added its going to be quieter than other trains. but the people complaining about the lack of Motor noises are the ones I'm referring too

33. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I’ve searched them already, but haven’t found anything apart from a passenger view. My point was, if people are saying the cab sounds are far too quiet, then what should they be?! I watched a TS Classic cab ride and apart from some looped running sounds, it was quiet.

34. Oliver

Oliver New Member

Wow, you're getting arsey with someone who is saying things you agree with.

35. sharkey#9239

sharkey#9239 New Member

Yeah passenger view is closest we get and that cab ride is righht behind the driver almost :) all the cab views have music over them

36. sharkey#9239

sharkey#9239 New Member

My apolgise. just been getting sick of sound complaints my mistake :)

• Like Like x 2
  37. theorganist

I am certain Matt said that he had ridden in the cab of one of these, in that case then he will know what is correct from first hand experience and I am happy to rely on his experience unless there is something obviously missing.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Oliver

Oliver New Member

No probs. I think most people accept that you can't hear traction motors. And the cab is well sound proofed. The evidence points to that.

But it just can't be devoid of all outside sounds, especially sounds that are coming from the train. Picking up on even the subtlest of sounds are what can make the difference between mediocre and magical.

• Like Like x 3
  39. sharkey#9239

sharkey#9239 New Member

Aye any of the suttle background noises I can agree with it can certainly make a difference. think what irritated me was just I guess the way some people are wording there throughs sounds more like they are meaning more on the Traction motors and it just irritated me a bit XD. I have hopes though that they will eventually get another sound pass, we all in difficult times and no Dought Covid hasn't helped them in the build of this Addon. Especially for the Sound guys to get out there and get the sounds live

• Like Like x 1
  40. ARuscoe

But Matt works for DTG, DTG are known to be wrong so Matt must be wrong...
    Remember we're talking internet forum logic here...

• Like Like x 4
  41. sharkey#9239

sharkey#9239 New Member

to be frank everyone is known to be wrong.... we are human internet logic just takes everything out of proportions because they don;t get what they want instantly

• Like Like x 4
  42. TerryBalldriver

TerryBalldriver Member

Watch GameTechUK positive look of this DLC. Refreshing.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  43. theorganist

Yes very true, I had forgotten about that!

44. theorganist

Had a quick glimpse before I start work again. Does sound positive considering all the negativity we have all been reading about!

45. ARuscoe

Yep, hyperbolic reactivity seems to be the name of the game. Just means I listen less to those people tbh

• Like Like x 1
  46. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

Listen, whether you agree with the lad or not, all I see you doing on the forums is call out anyone that has something to say that doesn't line up with your opinion. You can say what you want ofcourse, but I don't think you're particularly contributing in a nice way to conversations. Now I don't need you calling me out because I can also make some comments which aren't the most constructive I do admit, but I don't call out anyone for having an opinion.

• Like Like x 6
  47. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

I don't know if this has been mentioned i did the last stop scenario last night which is set at night time but the moon is missing in the sky

• Like Like x 1
  48. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I guess Bryer doesn't like people having a opinion that doesn't line up with his.

• Like Like x 3
  49. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

First the sun is missing and now the moon. That's funny and odd at the same time

• Like Like x 1
  50. Jesseblast

Jesseblast New Member

On a side note it is totally possible that the moon is not visible during night in real life.

• Like Like x 1