I Played Sehs Early Through A Steam Console Trick, I Am Not Amused

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nielsmallant100, Feb 2, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

No, the version that was uploaded to Steam is not a Devbuild, which is what Matt was using in the first stream.
    Versions which are not planned for release are locked and can't be downloaded via Steam CMD, which is why it is almost certain that what we see is what everyone will get.

2. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

Hi, very I don't see it as negativity, I see it as critical. I buy their products cause I have too much money to waste to be fair. (No flex I am not rich, just not a wise spender). I try to tell other why I think things should be done in different ways where applicable. If you read my steam reviews for example you will see I do like some of their DLC's a lot. Like HMA, fantastic DLC. I think DTG can make great products. But they just often mess things up before they get it right in my opinion. And I do give credit where credit is due don't you worry.

• Like Like x 4
  3. nielsmallant100

Sorry my opinions don't match yours. This however, is not some old communist country, so I believe (within guidelines) I am as free to express my opinion as you are right?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

It's not really braking into anything, while it might seem immoral there is nothing wrong with it. And like many have said, this version is a release version so it is extremely unlikely that it will see any treatment before Thursday. It is technically possible, but given how this has gone in the past it's not going to happen.

5. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Matt said that the second stream was a release build, however it had Test in the right hand corner of the screen on the TSW 2 splash. Which I'll tend to lean towards the version being touted as final by you lot isn't actually the release version.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DrTrenchcoat

DrTrenchcoat Well-Known Member

I mean, he payed for it, I'd think he'd have a right to say what he thinks about it.

• Like Like x 4
  7. nielsmallant100

Please tell me how this is any different from waiting the 2 extra days to review the exact same build. I respect your stance but I'd like to disagree

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Careful. Pot calling kettle black with this comment. I remember someone saying the same thing to you when your opinions differed. Look how that thread turned out......

• Like Like x 4
  9. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but no the version we are playing does not say test anywhere on the screen, otherwise it wouldn't be made obtainable through Steam.

10. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

If this is so easy and has been around for years, why is this the first time I've heard of this on the forums and on facebook. I don't remember seeing anyone playing HMA or LGV early, or even TSW2 when it came out in August.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

Never said you weren't allowed to have opinions, but when all you do is hate on everything the game is and does that doesn't seem constructive in any way, it does make one wonder why you play it.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Only way to settle it would be to post a screenshot of the build number shown in the menu, and then compare on Thursday. If you're right and it's the same then I'll acknowledge it

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. nielsmallant100

Bryer please don't make this thread more toxic than it needs to be. Don't want this one to be another one to be locked away because we don't respect each other's opinions.

• Like Like x 6
  14. nielsmallant100

I literally said in my original post how the dlc should be improved. Extra livery for 375 better camera position etc.

15. nielsmallant100

Never did it before with TSW DLC but the depot feature in steam has been available for many years.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

/closes door on the way out.....

17. Articuno

Except you word it in incredibly demeaning, entitled ways, "why is camera position not fixed, am I toddler" etc, etc. (Not to mention that this is an opinion in itself).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  18. nielsmallant100

Alright. I respect that. Sorry I am just a bit rant by nature

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Sticks head back through the door.....

Interesting......

• Like Like x 1
  20. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

People did play HMA a few days before release, it didn't make in onto the Forums due to the overall positive feedback on the route but it happened. And perhaps more importantly the BR Heavy Freight Pack was released 14 Days before we could play it and naturally people legitimately acquired it in that time. Nothing was changed before it was unlocked to the public.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. Articuno

Fair enough, I think its probably better to wait until the patch coming on or just after launch day to judge it fairly, generally since TSW2 came out they have been pretty good with patches and bug fixes (yes there are still some problems, but they are on roadmap). Plus they did put a lot of our feedback from the 1st stream already in it.

I was pretty happy with most things that I saw in the stream on Monday so I pre-ordered and looks like I will enjoy it, though I am not a stickler for details like some are (fair enough if you are), and I don't live in the UK anymore so haven't seen/heard these trains for a year and a bit now.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Makes sense, I'll check the build number tomorrow then.

23. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

You complain about things being too real that you don’t want and you complain about things not being real enough all in the same post.

The white livery can be easily recreated in the livery editor.

The tiny things that you list were all evident in the streams, why on Earth would you buy it if this is such a problem, let alone go to the trouble of getting it early?

The sensible route would be to watch streams after the first patch (Which they’ve said is already in production) and then make your mind up.

• Like Like x 4
  24. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I agree I myself would like to know how this person was able to get before it's released to the rest of us.

25. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Wow, sure glad there is an ignore feature - everyone is entitled to their opinions, does not mean I have to read them... much better to filter them out when one carries on as such. I do not mind when one puts forth their opinions in a mature and responsible manner, but I found the original post very antagonistic in nature “I am not a toddler... “ and never rose above that level.

• Like Like x 9
  26. Michael Newbury

I guess the bigger question how was he able to circumvent Steam to get it, surely what he did cannot be correct and Steam should have a look at his account.

• Like Like x 2
  27. a.paice

It’s the same people who turn their store to a different timezone to get a DLC a few hours early.

It’s just playing with fire and a little sad really. One day they might get burnt as DTG repeatedly warns them.

• Like Like x 5
  28. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

If it’s above board, then no issue.

But going from your post history, and everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you’ve always been very negative about this DLC and others.

So why go to the trouble of accessing it early, just to be negative?

• Like Like x 5
  29. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to getting the smug face out when DTG update the build...

Edit....
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  30. Michael Newbury

I think we should all get smug faces out.

• Like Like x 1
  31. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

SteamCMD is actually a legit way to have access to Steam content Depots. To get access to the DLC, you actually have to be logged in into SteamCMD so it checks if the DLC is in your library. If DTG really would have been interested onto holding up to the release date in a strict way, then they would publish the Build at the release date.
    Important to know is that DTG acknowledged that people already downloaded SEHS and playing with 1 important note: Do it on your own behalf. If something breaks, it is not our fault and therefore we are out there.

Oh, and to the people on console: This is how it feels like when you get stuff at midnight while Steam users have to wait until evening hours. SteamCMD brings balance to the force.

• Like Like x 5
  32. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

The title sounds like it's from the Sun

• Like Like x 5
  33. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

The Sun... or The Daily Mail?

• Like Like x 3
  34. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

He did not break Steam ToS by doing this. Steam does not allow the use of modified client tools, but you don't need to modify the Steam client to download depots that you have access keys for. Of course, Steam is within their grounds as a private entity to ban his account for virtually any reason they please, but no clauses in the Terms of Service were broken.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  35. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

You should know that Steam console is included with your Steam client and this is official supported method by Steam. A lot of users use that Console for downgrade their games if some update break their game to get the version which was working for you until devs fix the problem.
    And that console will not download product which you dont own, so if you already pay for SEHS DLC in pre-order, than you are able to get it from the time the devs made the depot publish (like BR Freight Pack was published 3 weeks before they released it on steam - and surprise ... it was the same version which was just sitting there for 3 weeks).
    You can even download like that first version of IoW route if you own it... as that first version was never downloaded by Steam client, it was released in the end of September and Rivet release another version in the middle of October which replaced the version for download from Steam so the first version was skipped. The same you can do for OSD route for TSW 1. You dont like that they remove those rails from the map... easy fix just download older version of the route. Did they break some stuff in new update ? No problem, you can always get older version which was working fine (sure you need to think if the new version fix some important problems and break some not that important stuff and is it worth it to downgrade or just stay on the latest version for each DLC as with older version you will not have new fixes until you download thru steam new updated version).

• Like Like x 5
  36. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

The steam console thing is entirely different from simply changing the time zone on your device. Even if he had done that he still wouldn’t have been able to access the dlc until a few hours ago

• Like Like x 4
  37. ISKREEM

ISKREEM New Member

Myself I wouldn't get too smug I mean this is Dovetail Games after all.

With that said I do hope you're right and this is not the final build.

• Like Like x 3
  38. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

The Steam console trick does work and is totally legitimate, unfortunately however the likely result of this thread is that Dovetail will cease all future preorders to avoid people doing it. That said from my perspective I find the route thoroughly enjoyable. Yes it needs a few bugfixes such as those mentioned in the 2nd stream, but otherwise "the job's a good un". The repeating track texture I also noticed in the stream (in the four foot) is a wee bit of an immersion killer, something I hope they will improve post release.

• Like Like x 2
  39. leonmassama

leonmassama New Member

Good morning everybody!

I managed to do the trick and I already got my copy, wether it is the final version or not, I don't really know, however, I hope not. The class 375 voltage line is not iluminated and the speed cruise control doesn't work. Everytime a javelin passes next to my train the FPS get to the minimum for like 1 sec or so, In the stream we could see a nice ilumination, shiny rails, etc. Non of those are on my game...

All in all, I really hope that Dovetail games get a fix out soon, it's really depressing to see such things, they try to improve, but they fail. Those bugs are really easy to spot, so I don't really understand how the beta testers team work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

It's a bit sad that one can be so critical of DLC that hasn't even officially been released yet.
    1. This is why we can't have nice things.
    2. I can see why some publishers have review embargos.
    I'm hopeful that there will be plenty to enjoy about this DLC (and more good to say about it, once it ships)!

• Like Like x 4
  41. nielsmallant100

Well you are suggesting I would have only been able to be negative about it. But if it would have been good I would have genuinely said so, as I have in the past (perhaps not on this forum, I am active on many forums).
    you're right in that I sounded a big harsh I have no trouble admitting that, what I meant with my toddler comment is that camera positions in the likes of the 425 and the electrostars have a camera height that makes you believe you are at a child height. I will try to formulate my posts a bit cleaner next time I do apologise, posted this rather quickly so I was still in 'the heat of the moment'

• Like Like x 1
  42. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Just remember you're commenting on pre-release gameplay. Your stating you haven't got any of the fixes you saw on the 2nd stream, with regards, to nice illumination, shiny rails etc which again leans towards this not being what we saw in the 2nd stream.

• Like Like x 2
  43. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

Even if bugs are easy to spot, it doesn't mean there's no cost to fix them.

Isn't it ironic that DTG managed to fix a bunch of things others recently brought up, yet there are still complaints no matter how they try to please us? For once I'd like to see people be thankful for what DTG does, instead of trying to hold them to some standard that we couldn't even come close to accomplishing ourselves.

Maybe DTG should just hold everything up for another year or so, to get anything they do perfectly complaint-free, while we imagine they can afford to pay everyone during that time and not go out of business.

I'm glad it's shipping on Thursday, and they get paid something for what they've done. I don't live in the UK, and don't know what the fences or buildings are supposed to look like. I don't drive a train for real and don’t know what they're supposed to sound like.

I understand some people may expect a much higher standard, but I'm grateful for the opportunity just to simply enjoy the game and its locos.

• Like Like x 6
  44. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

FYI the version I downloaded appears to be the same as in the 2nd stream, in other words the release build.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

Why can't you just wait and be disappointed along with the rest of us? Do you also open your Christmas presents early to complain about them too? :)

• Like Like x 7
  46. a.paice

I know that. I said it’s the same type of person.

47. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

This is a pointless discussion. Just wait till it is released officially and comment then.

• Like Like x 2
  48. GA Railfan17

GA Railfan17 Active Member

Well if you don't like DTG's products don't buy them. Don't ruin the fun for the thousands and thousands of other people.

• Like Like x 5
  49. nielsmallant100

how is me giving my opinion ruining other's experience? Everyone is entitled to draw the own conclusions, I am merely sharing mine.

• Like Like x 3
  50. caspargray

caspargray Active Member

The conclusion that I am coming to is that for SEHS DTG were simply over ambitious with there choice of this route.
    - Audio not finished two weeks before release.
    - Thin timetable
    - 377 copied with no (or as little as possible) change
    - Release pushed back (Sam said that they had planned to get SEHS out weeks ago, and thats why the gap to the 465 will be shorter than they would like)
    - Route littered with bugs, which would not have sorted without the noise from the community (and a few still are not) Also my thanks to DTG for listening.

If this is the case, at 51 miles long, we were just starting to get somewhere with regard to longer routes. What went wrong? What part held up development? Does it mean that 51 miles is too long for a TSW commuter style route?

Interested to hear everyone else’s thoughts, but in my opinion one part of this route (or maybe just its length) held up development, which pushed the rest of the schedule too tight.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.