PlayStation Shs First Gameplay Impressions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Having bought and downloaded SHS this morning and having completed the tutorials and first scenario ‘High Speed Run’, here are my very early initial impressions.
    1. The 395 looks stunning, although there is a strange green smudge on the 395 livery (see image below).
    2. The ballast looks weird. There is something not quite right about it. It looks fake.
    3. Quite a few areas on the track where the train is jolted left or right quite violently.
    4. A lot of very noticeable visual loading in of assets, fences, track parts, trees, bridges, pylons and other scenery elements. These are quite close to the train too so it really really effects immersion. I’m on PS4 Pro so I don’t know if this will be worse on basic systems (I imagine it will be). I would go so far as to say these are the WORST load ins I’ve seen in TSW.
    5. The noise of the PS4 Pro fan overwhelms any sound within the 395 cab apart from the ridiculously loud throttle/brake lever and door closing alarms.
    6. The brake lever goes straight into position 3 - there are no positions 1 and 2.
    7. On the scenario, High Speed Run. You are asked to load passengers before and after the power changeover.
    6040B77F-29FE-4DCB-9875-7C18CA5BA5F9.jpeg

I will add to this thread later on after playing more of the route, but my initial first impressions haven’t been instant love of the route like it has been for others such as ECW.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

For me, the stations are definitely too clinical in appearance.

There is barely (if any) wear or tear. Every surface and asset looks brand new and as if placed in a vacuum. No weathering. No dirt. Everything far too clean bright.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

When doing the High Speed Run scenario, alarms went off and the Javelin emergency braked as I was approaching Ebbsfleet. Not sure what I did wrong to trigger the emergency brakes, but I couldn’t get the train moving again. I had to rerun the scenario.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

Yup happened to me too!, although when I tried to report it yesterday I was taken as a noob driver who applied it by myself haha. I'm particularly disappointed by the 395s limited functionality, it feels like a slap dash job on a train I was excited about.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Re number 1: That’s the emergency door release handle, it’s just very pixelated/blurred. It definitely should be there!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The asset load in is absolutely terrible. I can’t emphasis that enough. When comparing this route to ECW, which I consider DTG’s best route quality wise, SHS is failing miserably. So disappointed. TrainSim-Adam and his team are going to have their work cut out bringing this route up to that level of quality.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Just had the alarms triggered and emergency brakes applied whilst leaving Ebbsfleet on Tricky Tunnels. I stopped before the ‘Red’ TVM marker and only started moving forwards when I got the ‘Green’ yet emergency brakes applied and I couldn’t get the train moving again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

upload_2021-2-4_14-5-27.png
    Just a normal release handle boy

9. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The ballast does look quite fake. It's like they said "You want a different ballast, will give you a damn different ballast!" It does not look right at all but the ts version looks more realistic ballast wise

• Like Like x 2
  10. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

The egress handle looks smudged I agree, but from the picture it might just be shadow effects

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

You weren't taken as a noob driver, you were asked for more details so people could test it and try and replicate it, as the 3 people in the discussion hadn't had that happen.

You gave no details of the service or anything in your original post of the matter apart from the brakes applied. You where then asked a series of questions, which you then answered and people went off to test.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

If you've had an emergency brake application, you need to reapply them, go to notch 10, then back to 11 and they should then release fully and you should be able to get moving again.

I did notice you need to re engerise the train by doing the power cycle process.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Class156

Class156 Well-Known Member

Ok, so completed the intro and the 375 introduction.
    I had to restart the introduction as there was a bug that wouldn’t allow me to look Up, Down, Left, Right. After this l, things have been OK. I’ve played very little so far and look forward to getting stuck in tonight.

I’m playing on a standard PS4. Does it look flawless? No. Does it look better than other routes? No, HOWEVER it still looks good and although the lighting is pretty poor, I’m confident the upcoming patch should help.

I get the disappointment from some, but it’ll get better I’m sure, and as I always say, the number of hours I will inevitably put in will make my £25 purchase price well worth it!

• Like Like x 4
  14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I got one of them as I was leaving Faversham station. Something is amiss there. This was on a randomly selected timetable service in a 12 car unit, nowhere near the TVM, and with a green signal in front of me it couldn’t have been AWS. They were the only systems enabled. I was a bit perplexed.

• Like Like x 4
  15. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Happened to me as well. Had to isolate and reactivate all the safety systems as well as resetting the throttle by putting it in em. brake.

Also KVB was active in Faversham...

• Like Like x 6
  16. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

I'm guessing the passenger doors are supposed to stay shut when speeding along, I was able to open both sides of doors and jumped out while travelling at high speed...that's not supposed to happen is it?

17. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

I've put it in technical reports if you'd like to look.

18. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Will do.

19. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Shocking the newest route sounds like a few technical difficulties escaped dtg testing team.But this is what happens when you dive head frist into a new route with reckless abandonment.Someone here was disappointed they couldn't open the 375 doors at speed,why?So do people enjoy jumping off trains that much,At this rate they may need to change the game name to TRAIN NONSIM WORLD.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

The loading of assets is hopefully something they can fix, they've done it on other lines, the only big offender for me so far is the A13 bridge across HS1 near the Dartford crossing, the cars load up before the bridge so for a moment or two there are floating cars xD, it's amusing but something that ought to be fixed really.

395 volume aside (I played again just now and pulled up at a station next to a 375, and the 375's traction motor volume is at least 5 times louder than that of the 395), I am enjoying the route, it's a new challenge for high speed driving. I like the way high speed is evolving in the game, from the relatively easy and user friendly ICE, to the slightly more difficult TGV, and now to the Javelin, which really does feel like the weird commuter/high speed hybrid it is.

It's fun to drive this route, the older section of the line especially has the changes in speed and tight curves that add interest, and on both services I've done so far I've hit a yellow or two because the train in front was being a bit slow. Whilst there are elements that make this route feel less polished than some others, namely some aesthetic and sound issues, the actual route itself, and what you do and how you drive it feels like one of the most interesting routes so far. I hope it has a lot of life in it.

There's something very good too about seeing the PIS update to add in the delay, things like this and the level crossings elevate the game and it's why I don't like to dwell too much on the bad things, because really that little Expt. display does give that instant burst of immersion that makes up for a lot of the immersion breakers.

b42d0503-c135-4853-9b2c-3cfa44c050a9.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  21. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

So, I’ve now completed all the tutorials and all the scenarios. Having done this, here are my most up to date impressions:
    1. The Javelin 395 looks great and is quite nice to drive. There is sound in the cab, though I’m not totally convinced the 395 sounds right. I’ve posted a link to a YT passenger compartment video - listen to that glorious sound. Granted you wouldn’t necessarily hear that sound in the cab, but you should hear it outside next to the traction motors and I don’t believe you do in game.
    2. The scenarios were fun to complete although there are bugs causing problems, such as the reported Tunnels scenario.
    3. All trophies have popped so far.
    4. The visual load in of assets and the relatively simplistic graphics (just look at the train shed at Gillingham) spoil the immersion. For me personally, the graphics/textures are not as good as on other routes such as ECW or even HMA. Everything from foliage, to station fencing, from track assets to electricity pylons all load in late. Seeing the route being built in front of you is very distracting and very immersion breaking and is my single biggest criticism of the route.
    5. The ballast looks very poor, especially in certain places on the route.
    6. There is a definite sense things were rushed to meet a deadline and DTG has more or less said they’d already missed an earlier deadline. My question is, can DTG hand on heart say enough time was allowed to get the route up to ECW standards?
    I think the route overall is good and the potential for it to be great is there, but it is far from the quality I know DTG can achieve and that’s a pity.

Do I regret buying the route? Not yet.

Have I set my expectations too high? I don’t think so given that DTG has made better routes e.g. ECW, HMA.

Javelin sound video:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. tallboy7648

I give this route a 6.5/7 out of 10. Its good but it's not the best. I agree with what you have said about this route. East Coastway is one of the best in terms of quality but sehs falls short of what we know dtg can make

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  23. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I don't have this route yet, I'm still on the fence, but I have watched and listened to all the streams, including today's. And, try as I might, I cannot hear a darn thing from the player train, inside or outside - it's completely silent in my speakers or headset (both high-end). Am I deaf or are some people "hearing" the Emperor's New Clothes? I'm on PC, but it shouldn't be any different on PS4, I think.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. GoldenTicket420

GoldenTicket420 Well-Known Member

I agree with you matj

If i may add.I've spent around 7hours to get these presentable,but I've captured 2 passenger rides on both the BR class 375 and 395,sitting in many seats and alot of different angles to capture the beautiful scenery and the sounds.Im not going to critique,but for anyone who did not purchase southeastern HighSpeed,you can get a good look here before you buy.I hope this helps.First look as passenger on BR class 395 javelin and BR class 375 in new southeastern HighSpeed route for Train Sim World 2

• Like Like x 2
  25. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

So far I think I'm enjoying the route— if you know what to expect from DTG, then SEHS is another average route with some special new tricks sprinkled in here and there. My main criticisms would be scenery, and sound.
    One doesn't need to have a magnifying glass to pick up these details. Genuinely, there are large swaths of land that are very basic with minimal landscaping and sub-par grass application. There is literally nothing besides a steep hill and some cement textures outside of Strood station.
    The fences along HS1 look like scrap metal, and there's a mod in the PC forums that replaces these with a see-through fences, which greatly improves the feel of HS1. Other areas look fine, I do enjoy looking out the window while riding past towns in the Medway Valley, and seeing all those rooftops whizz by.
    Regarding the sounds...something feels off. I genuinely mean that. I believe it might have to do with the mixing, but even with my PS4 Gold headsets, the sounds of the trains doesn't feel quite right. Doors and alarms are insanely loud– please do not play with your volume all the way up.
    And then there's the motor sounds of the Javelin. I know this has been discussed plenty enough, but I don't hear any motor sounds in the cab at all. At. All. Even if it is there technically, the sounds of the aircon drowns out the motor sound. Wind sound does feel good sometimes, but it doesn't change whether you're in a tunnel or open air, which is a bit of an immersion breaker.

Right, that's enough complaints for now, here's what I did like about SEHS:
    The models.
    You guys had seen what I said in those first preview articles, and I still stand by what I say. The Javelin and the Class 375 look gorgeous!
    There's quite a bit more weathering than usual, which I greatly appreciate. These trains look like they've been put to use for some years.
    The physics feels about right; it's roughly how I'd expect them to be. The Javelin and the Class 375 are relatively easy trains to drive, but you can tell it'll take some time to master them.
    SEHS also feels like a relatively busy route with the addition of more 375 services and the Class 66 at Hoo Junction. I'm hoping that the new Loco add on will bring additional services, but I'm not going to hold my breath for this.
    Performance seems alright for the time being, there's nothing bad to note on that front.
    With all the scenery immersion breakers, the PIS system seems to counteract them. Those screens are nice to look at, and I definitely appreciate that they're included.

All in all, I think it's a good route but more importantly... it could be better.
    I know that this comment probably won't go far, but part of me really wishes that DTG could do something about quality control, and making sure that routes have the polish that they deserve. That's one of the big things that's holding this game back. It's a bit of polish and making things look pretty. Train Sim World has a lot of potential, and it can be a very incredible sim. With each DLC they come close to hitting the mark, but they have yet to hit a bullseye.
    I can tell that the developers are passionate about this game, and I want to show appreciation for that. But I can't help but to feel that they deserve to have more time or more people working on these projects. I know these topics can have their own issues that need addressing, but at the end of the day, all of the DLC they put out will have great potential that may or may not ever be fulfilled. Theres some noticeable inconsistencies between DTG's own routes, and it could feel like a gamble as to how a route would perform.

At the time of writing, on launch day with no post-patches, I would give this route a rating somewhere between 7.5 and an 8/10. Theres a lot of great things and there's a lot to explore, but as always...there is room for improvement :)

• Like Like x 4
  26. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

I’m really disappointed with the scenery, especially in the third rail section of the route. Not worth the price right now.

We’ll see if the patch fixes some things but I’m not thrilled. The only thing I’m enjoying so far is the 395.

• Like Like x 2
  27. pugsnotdrugs

pugsnotdrugs New Member

also the problem of the rear cab not shuting down properly when changing ends on the 395

• Like Like x 1
  28. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

An excellent appraisal of the DLC as it stands. You’ve pretty much said everything I think about it too. The sound was the focus of my initial feedback and it’s exactly as you say. I’ve not really said anything about what I’ve noticed about scenery other than the lateness of some scenery items loading, but you’ve mentioned here all the other important things I saw. For the good things about the route and the trains, and your general comments, I couldn’t agree more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Thanks! I think this goes to show that these details aren't just some minor thing that an eagle-eyed observer would notice...no, not exactly. These are things that even the average person would pick up, which implies that the folk over at DTG also would notice but they couldn't do much due to time constraints.
    SEHS is a great route and in only just a few runs, I can see there's quite a lot to explore. I've enjoyed my runs so far, but theres always that looming feeling that SEHS could use a few more tweaks. Not a complete redo, just a few more tweaks

• Like Like x 3
  30. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

When you play on Summer clear, the scenery looks a lot better. The stations look pretty good too.

But seriously, I would’ve been happy to wait longer for this to release if I knew it was going to be more polished.

I’m disappointed that DTG felt okay with releasing the route in the current state it’s in. It’s not a bad route by any means, it’s just clearly unfinished.

• Like Like x 3
  31. tallboy7648

In my opinion, this route felt rushed which is a real shame because this could've easily been the best British route in the game but sadily the scenery is not great and the sounds of the Javelin are too quiet from the outside. I am aware that this route was pushed back longer than intended but dtg dropped the ball when they had a chance to deliver a fantastic route all together just to meet a deadline. The 375 sounds are not accurate whatsoever since they are a port of the 377, the lighting in the tunnels are a issue as well, inaccurate fencing on hs1 and this route didn't get the polish it deserved. If the devs had more time to work on the polishing of this route, it would be much better. DTG also need to work on being consistent in terms of quality of their routes because there are some routes like east coastway and HMA that look fantastic but then we get sehs which is a average route at best. Im pretty sure we all know dtg are capable of giving high quality routes and east coastway is a perfect example of that but for some odd reason we get a nice high quality route and then will get another average quality route. The inconsistencies need to be worked on

• Like Like x 3
  32. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I guess this is a subjective thing, because summer clear is the weather I most avoid on all routes, aside from the shadow draw distance being most painfully obvious in this setting, it has the maximum visibility, therefore you can see objects in the distance popping in much further out.

Personally I prefer inclement weather, fog or mist, and snow, because you get a haze that tends to block out any big pop-ins, and when I do drive on sunny days, I do usually add in clouds and some light rain because the trains look amazing with the sun reflecting off the rain.

I'm going to defend DTG on the subject of scenery, because I think for the most part the route is fine, between Faversham and Ebbsfleet it's certainly on par with most other routes. Does it excel? Not particularly, but it's good enough for what it should be imo.

In terms of ballast, I'm lost as to the issues people have, aside from it being different to before. I zoomed in on it and tbh, I was surprised to see in places it is actually quite textured, which I haven't noticed on other routes, so as far as I can see, it's better than before.

Between Ebbsfleet and St. Pancras, namely the Dagenham/Rainham section, the route has a fairy disappointing panoramic view, but then the real life view in that area is really ugly imo, and it's a very strange area to try to recreate. I think of it a bit like TVL (a route which I feel also struggles with scenery), whereby without doing insane amounts of detail, it's virtually impossible to accurately recreate a feeling of authenticity in an area that is flat and barren but has huge buildings/landmarks/infrastructure dotted about, trees are all you have basically to try and add interest, and if there are not trees in real life, you've basically got nothing to help you disguise the fact in a video game that doesn't specialise in hyper realistic geography, it's just gonna look like a factory in the middle of a field.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Dave93

Dave93 New Member

I’m totally with you on this one, it needs to be optimised better for the PS4 the draw distance is ridiculous the frame rate is pretty poor especially on the high speed parts it’s almost unplayable on my PS4.

Why release an unfinished dlc you wouldn’t buy an unfinished car would you, I’m sure they will fix all the bugs eventually but I feel really let down as I was really looking forward to this one!

• Like Like x 3
  34. tallboy7648

DTGs Policy: Release it Now, Fix It Later

35. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

Spring time in any weather condition on this route looks poor. I'm not a purist by any means, and I don't know anything about what this route looks like in real life. That being said, if it's a barren area, there's at least foliage, and some sort of distinguishing factor that makes the area different from the others. The textures, especially the ground textures are all the same, the ground color is an oddly bright green, the cab dashboard is lit as if there is no roof on the cab, and not to mention the other bugs. The LGV route is the same way and still has a lot of aesthetic problems that are yet to be resolved. You compare these two releases vs. a route like Hauptsrecke Rhein-Ruhr, which is a very much polished and refined route, and it's night and day.

We're not playing Train Simulator on PC, we're playing Train Sim World on consoles. With the Unreal engine, DTG customers should expect more than this. Development and polishing of routes takes time, and I wish that there was more time for development and testing put into this route. Eventually, my $30 that I spent will be worth it, but surely not right now.

I love this game and believe in its potential, but not when we have releases that are unfinished.

• Like Like x 1
  36. tallboy7648

Every route released for this game should have high expectations from the community but I guess dtg thought the expectations for this route would be so low that they could cut corners and nobody would complain. I agree with what you said. There needs to be more time given to devs to properly test, fix and polish a route. Not just release it as is and fix it later. Ebbsfleet to Faversham looks nice, the trains look nice but hs1 does not look great and the ballast just looks off and overall this route could've used more polish

• Like Like x 1