My Friend Literally Said We Will Buy Tsw If It Had Multiplayer.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by joseph.gov.uk, Feb 4, 2021.

1. joseph.gov.uk

joseph.gov.uk Member

He hates trains.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. hightower

hightower Guest

Then he’s probably exactly the sort of person the vast majority of people that play this game wouldn’t want anywhere near multiplayer!

• Like Like x 14
  3. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    Once they discover you can’t create head-on collisions, they’ll leave

• Like Like x 10
  4. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

GTA 6 is in production. Tell your friend to wait a little more. :D

• Like Like x 6
  5. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

The Roblox game Stepford County Railway is multiplayer and is arguably troll-proof.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hightower

hightower Guest

I pretty much never touch multiplayer in any game, because it’s almost always populated by cheats, hackers or trolls. What should be something really cool is often spoilt by people with nothing better to do with their time than ruin things for other people.

The only really genuinely fantastic experience I’ve had using multiplayer is VATSIM in the Flight Sim world. Having to undergo training and tests to use it, it is so brilliantly realistic that it’s developed a whole community of it’s own, full of people who are genuinely into simulation and want to experience as close to the real world as possible, where you have real world commercial pilots and Air Traffic Controllers mixing with simmers.

I really hope that if and when multiplayer comes to TSW that this is the model upon which it is based.

• Like Like x 7
  7. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I haven't spent much time in Run8 but I've seen that in the multiplayer on there, the community is fairly small and they manage to police themselves, with mods kicking people off if they start being too silly. But TSW2 would potentially have a much larger community and wouldn't be as easy to police I suspect.

edit: Hightower mentions VATSIM, and similarly they have mods on there. But VATSIM is a lot bigger than Run8 I think. Trains are slightly different to planes, you'd probably need to disable train collisions and to auto-remove people who stayed in one location for more than 5 minutes longer than they should, or who SPAD'd.

edit again: But you'd need more than that I guess. The above rules would allow hilarious users to move the train forwards a yard or 2 every 4 minutes and still tied up a block for an hour or so. So, it would need to warn and then kick-off users who weren't at least averaging half line speed.

But given the above rules, which don't seem that draconian, that could work I think.

additionally: We'd need a rule on emergency brake application that didn't penalise the n00bs but at the same time kicked people off if they got more than 1 emergency brake application in a session after their n00b period.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the wringing of hands, moaning and complaining that would take place in the forums when an individual gets kicked out of multiplayer? Just saying.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jevan-dean

jevan-dean Active Member

Or just allow people to host their own servers to with passwords etc like most games...

• Like Like x 4
  10. jevan-dean

jevan-dean Active Member

Exactly, just needs rules in place. Or have serious and fun servers.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Or, take the Star Citizen approach and just relocate the funny guys to another location/server.

edit: This is similar to the suggestion of jevan-dean I think. When someone gets kicked off for being a bit mad, they could be given the option to join the 'fun' server or to try again on the normal one after a break.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Franck69

Franck69 Member

I would be very interested in multiplayer. And a wish, a dream ....
    Certainly I would see it this way, if it can be done.
    Servers managed by DTG, one enters and takes the available service. It will have to comply with the regulations, respect the signs, but as soon as it passes red, or does not respect the limits set, the train goes into braking. IF a player at some point wants to leave, his train is taken over by the AI until his end of service, but still available for a new player who should enter the server.
    In this way, it would be an identical game to the single player, but with the possibility of crossing other players. Play Hear another train pass in a station and trumpet. In short, he would add all those little things that are not there now. And above all, a very important thing, the scenarios would be crowded, always finding new situations.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Based on what we know about how fragile the dispatcher is at the moment, I can't seen any form of multiplayer that allows multiple player controlled trains moving at the same time anytime soon.

If we do get something, I suspect it will be more of a co-op style for 3-4 players, with only one player allowed being allowed to drive at a time.

14. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Franck69 Some fair points, but that doesn't handle the person who decides to just stop halfway on the route, or to constantly activate the emergency brakes.
    Jannerdunk As you say, the dispatcher might need some work. Also, I'm not sure how many drivers could realistically be on the route at the same time.

15. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I'd only ever do multiplayer in a private lobby tbh. I'm not a people person :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I can't see the point

17. Franck69

Franck69 Member

In my idea, I would always see intelligent software controlling the servers, and if it finds a player that deliberately stops in full line, it would be kicked off the server and the train controlled by the AI.
    Obviously all these things are probably difficult to achieve.

18. hightower

hightower Guest

Great in theory, however, we still don’t have dark tunnels or shadows that cast more than 5ft in front of you. As much as we’d all love to see it I can’t help but feel it’s never going to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  19. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I heard this too. My understanding from a good source (Tommy K) is that it will be releasing with the Playstation 9.

GTA 5 is having 3 more console release cycles, a new £500 shark card and you will allegedly be able to port over the TGV into the game as a dlc for a new high speed heist across the Los Santos desert.

• Like Like x 1