Very Bad Graphics/performance

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dangerousdave, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Good morning.

I recently upgraded my pc completely hoping my experience would be a whole lot better.

I opted for a amd Ryzen 7 2700x and a evga rtx 3070 xc3 ultra 8gb yet I'm still having major problems with lag, frame dropping and most annoying the scenery loading ie I can see the tracks loading pretty much right Infront of the train along with trees foliage and other objects.

It seems a lot worse on the new southeastern high speed route and a lot worse on the great Western express route. I've tried a bunch of different settings. Resolution 1080, 1440, and 2160 it's the same on each resolution. Graphic quality on low, medium, high and ultra. Anti aliasing on/off.

None of this has made any difference. The original train simulator actually looks and works better than tsw2!

Please what's going on does anybody know?

2. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

That’s very odd. What is your current frame rate on average?

I bought a basic gaming PC for £500 for TSW2 a year ago, and I am consistently getting smooth as silk running - 70-80fps average. Sometimes more !!!

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You did not say how much Ram you have?
    I run TSW2 on the native settings for my monitor 1920*1080 and it runs quite will

4. Hi I've got it capped at 60fps as my display is 60hz but it's jumping between 45-60 FPS that's with all settings on ultra @4k with anti aliasing turned off. With aliasing turned on its around 25fps.

The frame rate doesn't really bother me, 40+ is fine it's just where it's up and down it looks terrible.

The main problem is the asset loading. I can live with the sleepers loading pretty much in front of the train but the tracks I feel is unacceptable. The same with object rendering. You can see the trees and stuff are pre rendered then as you pretty much pass them you can see them being fully rendered.

Thanks for the reply

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Draw Distance setting

6. Hi.
    Full specs
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
    Asus Rog strix b450 gaming board
    16gb ddr4 at 3400mhz
    Evga rtx 3070 ultra
    1tb Kingston nvme SSD
    750w PSU

With all other games my CPU usage is never above 40% GPU 100%

Tsw2 CPU is around 30% and GPU is 70% usage vram 85% used and memory is around 50% used

7. That's what I thought but I can't find a draw distance setting as such. There's screen percentage that if I set that to 200% it does get a lot better on all routes apart from great Western and southeastern thanks for the reply.

8. ulf

ulf Member

That is odd. IMO Your CPU should be much higher. Make sure that your Windows energy setting is set to high performance. Check your CPU temp - with improper cooling it might run hot.

9. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I think the CPU usage is fine, maybe a bit on the low side, but should not be that much of a problem. Are you running TSW2 in DX12 mode by any chance? In my experience, this causes very much stutter when loading tiles on some routes and absolutely no stutter on others. So in case you have it on, try turning it off and try again

10. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

How to turn off DX12?

11. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I'd image if you don't know how to turn it on then you probably don't use it. To check, right click on TSW2 in your steam library and select properties. At the bottom of the opened window is a line called "Startup parameters" (could be called different, I'm translating from German). If there is a "-DX12" in there, delete that. If that line is empty, just leave it at that.

12. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Thank you
    Indeed, the line is empty.

13. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

Man.. I have a 2012 potato and this game runs great. Not all ultra settings but I usually go high and max on the things like details and distance, and medium to low on things like shadows and reflections
    I get 60 FPS easy. Maybe my 30G of RAM helps? I bought it for FS2020 lol.
    I have an ASUS MB, intel i5 3xxx??? (it's old)
    Geforce 1060 something with just 6G of memory
    30G RAM
    SS HD..
    I don't overclock always have default settings if possible.. game runs great for me.
    Sorry if that doesn't help you!

Jeff

14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Draw distance and the like can be adjusted by adding commands to the engine.ini file; there's a lengthy thread on that. Unfortunately, shadow pop-in (the "creeping sleepers" effect a few meters in front of your train) is one thing nobody has found an answer to. But scenery and foliage pop-in, washed-out color, flickering AA etc can all be tamed with Unreal initialization commands.

But being dragged down to 25fps, on your machine? Doesn't make sense. TSW2 is definitely GPU-intensive, but it shouldn't come close to choking out your card. My rig is much less powerful than yours, but runs seamlessly at a locked 60fps on ultra settings (admittedly 1080 not 4k).

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021