PC Sehs Tsw2 Vs Ts - Screenshot Comparison

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by mattdsoares, Feb 5, 2021.

1. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

So I was playing SEHS some more today and while I think it looks quite good up to Ebbsfleet, it kept striking me how off, and honestly downright ugly and half baked the countryside looked from Gravesend on. I thought I had remembered SEHS looking...well...just better on TS1. So I decided to not let nostalgia or a poor member decide, but rather take some screenshots. I've taken all mid day with full cloud cover in the autumn.

Gravesend Station

TS2021

[​IMG]

TSW2
    [​IMG]

Google Earth
    [​IMG]

Gravesend to Strood

TS2021
    [​IMG]

TSW2
    [​IMG]

Strood Station

TS2021
    [​IMG]

TSW2
    [​IMG]

Google Earth
    [​IMG]

Rochester Bridge

TS2021
    [​IMG]

TSW2
    [​IMG]

Google Earth
    [​IMG]

------------

Now, full disclosure, I do run RWEnhancer and Reshade on TS2021 as well as AP Enhanced Weather. I'm running this on an Intil i7 9700K, RTX 3080, and 32 GB Ram at 4K resolution. Both games supersampled. TS2021 with 2x2 supersampling and TSW running at 125% render scaling. All settings maxed out.

Gravesend station TSW is more accurate in terms of the platforms and pedestrian bridge. However there was absolutely no effort by DTG to make the scenery around the station accurate. While in TS2021, you can see there are multiple custom assets like the parking structure on the right, and some of the buildings in the back. Both games have the old brick station building on the left platform but TS2021's version actually looks more detailed, natural, and again, just better.

Between Gravesend and Strood there's a long stretch of countryside that IMO looks particularly poor in TSW2. The ground is a plain minty green color with no grass until you're on top of it. TSW2 did get the stream along side the rails, which TS2021 missed altogether. However despite the TS2021 reliance on 2D trees and vegetation, it looks more more lush and alive and natural

Strood station seems a lot like Gravesend. The platform is more accurate in TSW2, but there was absolutely no effort in making any sort of matching architecture to the surroundings, where TS2021 simply has much, much more attention to detail, especially in the background which suffers from extremely poor LOD in TSW2. Yes, I have all the .ini edits to improve LOD and draw distance.

Both games suffer from wishful thinking with the water in the river under Rochester Bridge, which in reality is a muddy brown. Both make solid attempts at capturing a number of custom assets.

So for me, TS2021 is hands down the winner overall. It easily beats out TSW thanks to its draw distance and the level of detail the devs worked in to to is. TSW2 continues to have significantly better looking trains, especially the interiors which tend to have a lot of low res textures in TS2021.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

Another missing fence! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. hightower

hightower Guest

It would have interesting to see those with the same weather conditions as the Google Earth shots to properly compare the lighting.

• Like Like x 2
  4. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

For me it's the popping in of scenery that seems to impact the countryside the most. Up really close it looks nice, but from more than 20 meters away it looks terrible.

The High Speed section of the route is let down by the trolling attempt that DTG made of the fence. Luckily this is something that can be fixed with a mod.

I do think the TS version is much truer to life, and with the Sheerness Branch it's the obvious winner for me. It's certainly the one I'd recommend more...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I definitely think the autogenerating thingy needs some serious work on. You can see especially on open areas on both SEHS and LGV that it was made by some computer guessing and it's like making a plane model with a wall painting brush. It's just not sharp at all. And places where it could help - distant scenery - have no use of it at all. You can see tile edges on some of the pictures above and from yesterday stream seeing the arrival to Pancras it didn't seem like London 100m from the station. Now granted assets are limited, fps are limited, but it's something that should be worked on in the future. We have a bunch of routes coming we can compare to TS1 and just CAN'T be sub-par or even on par for that matter. Considering the age of TS1 and engines involved in both games the new routes should be mindblowing and so far it's only the trains doing so.

• Like Like x 4
  6. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Personally, in the screenshots provided, TSW2 is more to my liking... TS2021 shots seem flat. I do have over 5000 hours in TS2021 and while it has many things which I like over what TSW2 does, graphics would not be at the top of the list.

• Like Like x 3
  7. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

I also think OP has butchered their own argument with the screenshots provided. The TSW2 look more like the GE images by a long way.

Another cool kid hating on a new release...yawn.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Perhaps because the TS1 route is set 7 or 8 years ago ;) Especially re Gravesend, which I don't think is a fair comparison.

• Like Like x 2
  9. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

I particularly love TS trees. I find them particularly true to life ... true to life on Mars :)

Please, look with attention the pic 1.
    All the rest looks like more "flat" and unnatural (aka 2D) in TS version. Not only the trains.

• Like Like x 1
  10. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Yes, so the comparison is stupid.
    Is this a screenshot generator or a train sim?

• Like Like x 1
  11. mattdsoares

To butcher my own argument would have required me to be making an argument or advocating for a position. I was not. This thread was not intended to hate on TSW. After all, I just spend $$ to buy the route and own all TSW routes and trains. I'm not in the habit of spending good money on DLC just to go do what? Troll it on the official forums. Give me more credit that that.

As I said in the original post, something looked off about the route in TSW and decided to do the comparison, and then added my own opinion about what I saw. I'm not telling you what you should like.

Stop being so defensive.

• Like Like x 2
  12. mattdsoares

If you don't like the thread there are a multitude of others you can go to.

• Like Like x 2
  13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is a train sim you might not have all the buildings outside the railway to be spot on you do expect things like the Footbridge at Strood
    I think the OP is pointing out that there is more detail in the TS2021 version.

But then people like yourself don't bother about detail as long as you can put some posters up somewhere and all the other stuff the Driver does not do in real life.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  14. mattdsoares

You know, I'm torn on this. I get what you're hinting at and there is no denying that TSW is bringing a lot more modern lighting effects and materials effects to the table than TS was. Even in the screenshots TS does look the older game. There's no question. But what is striking is that the TS routes, when there is a direct comparison, often have significantly more detailed, and more custom assets beyond the station. Just going back to the shots of Gravesend and Strood. If we forgive TS for the inaccurate station because it's prerenovation 7-8 years ago, I don't think the surroundings look anything like reality in terms of the buildings used. In Strood especially. I guess I'm disappointed that DTG haven't put similar effort to the TS1 route in custom assets and just trying to at least get the look at feel of the places more accurate. I mean, what's with the black suburban homes all across Strood? I'm left with the feeling, that for me at least, TSW looks much, much better up close. While TS1 is still looking better from afar.

15. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

And I am pointing out that TSW2 is way better but it is a stupid comparison!
    And I am a IRL driver and enjoy "driving" on routes I will never get to see. Physics and feel is more important to me as a sim consumer.

As I read it, the TSW2 had the footbridge at Strood, the old lego2021 doesn't.

16. jevan-dean

jevan-dean Active Member

Auto gen is not bad, it just needs then to be gone over to add the details.

17. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would say the colours look better in TS1 than in TSW certainly in those comparison shots. I would say the imagery looks a more like real life in TSW. Certainly looking up the line from the end of a platform in TSW, it looks very close to real life, it can do in TS1 but not quite as convincingly. This is speaking as someone who spends much more time in TS1 and will continue to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

TS2021 does and doesn't have the footbridge
    When the L2F route was made the station only had a subway
    Screenshot_London Faversham High Speed_51.39623-0.49948_10-30-34.jpg

When the Chatham Mainline was built for TS the station had gained a Footbridge with lifts for passengers
    Screenshot_Chatham Main & Medway Valley Lines_51.39622-0.49960_10-30-43.jpg

I remember driving a train out of there and I saw the footbridge

Peter

19. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Thanks for listening.

20. mattdsoares

Stop being so defensive was a direct response to your post of "Another cool kid hating on a new release...yawn.". Which would be why I replied directly to it. If you hate this thread so much, I'm unsure why you keep coming back to it.

21. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

I don't hate it, you asked for "thoughts", so I gave you mine. TSW2 looks way better than TS1.

22. mattdsoares

You should go look back at your history in this thread. You've been far more antagonistic and derisive than that. Others managed to express that same view without resorting to barely veiled insults and ridicule.

• Like Like x 1
  23. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Well, no, not at all.
    Veiled insults and ridicule are nowhere to be seen..heh..no, literally.

24. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Watch the tone in this thread. No need to argue with one another. Please keep your posts on topic an stop winding one another up.

• Like Like x 3
  25. mattdsoares

Barely veiled insult:
    Ridicule:
    A little self awareness goes a long way.

26. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I think TSW2 generally does a better job with the stations and immediate trackside because Unreal Engine allows much higher fidelity. TS Classic looks, to me, to do a better job with the stuff that is a bit further away, even if the models or textures are more basic because it's running in a decade-old engine.

The roads in TSW2 often look goofy to me, for example -- maybe because of the ridiculous grades they climb, such as the road on the left hand side of Gravesend Station (from the TSW2 screenshot in the original post).

And before someone says "it's a train simulator not a road simulator," I would say that the scenery around the track is an important part of what adds to the experience. If it didn't add to the experience, then you may as well just have a blank, grey flat plane for everything further than, let's say, 15 feet from the track.

27. sisatmp

sisatmp New Member

Hey there!
    That is very nice. can I create this type of screenshots for my website. I like it very much. Please tell me how I create website screenshots. Suggest me best screenshot generator. Thanks in advance.
    Waiting response.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  28. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Personally I like seeing comparison shots from TSC routes and their TSW counterparts it shows what has changed over the years. I think more custom assets where added to the TSW3 version of SEHS if I remember correctly such as the multi-story carpark near Rochester.

29. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Wow, bumping an almost 2 year thread to post a odd post for your 1st post........