Trainbow Precedent

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Monder, Feb 6, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Rarely

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. No

32 vote(s)
    38.6%
  4. I don't care about Community challenges

24 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

One of the more interesting things introduced as part of SEHS is closely connected to the very rare trainbow livery featured. This livery is connected to a specific Javelin road number and cannot be selected otherwise.

This could provide a great opportunity to add a lot of variety into the game and maybe even into the community challenges.
    1) If a loco/MU of a specific number could always spawn with a specific number, we could assign livery designer creations to road numbers and know the livery would appear randomly if the game chooses that number for a timetable. This would help with some of the "one of a kind" liveries only made on one loco IRL to only spawn once and not repeatedly because game fancied that one livery. (e.g. US heritage units)

2)Many of us can probably agree that rewards provided in the community challenges are of little to no use. Usually, we just see wallpapers or player icons. What if we could get specific rare liveries that would be attached to road numbers and spawn in a similar way to that on the 395012? I am not talking about some extremely fancy liveries that would require tons of work, more like little variations that might not even need a change to license agreements.
    Locomotives with paint only partially repaired:
    [​IMG]
    Locomotives right after the main repair looking shiny (also maybe the Railion logo itself? *wink wink*):
    [​IMG]
    Frankensteins:
    [​IMG]
    (...)
    Such livery changes would probably require way less work than brand new ones (move a texture, change colour, increased gloss) and would provide way more exciting community rewards increasing the immersion. Combined with them spawning randomly even after unlocking they'd keep an element of exclusivity, enhance screenshots for competitions (as they would be official content) and maybe even make the in-game railfanning more interesting.

What ideas for such liveries would you have? Try looking for some very similar to those in-game but with a unique touch - easy to make, not outside license agreements.

• Like Like x 15
  2. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I don't know how easy it would be to do, but it would be very useful if it was enabled. The way I see it working would be a choice from one of the following options when you create the livery:
    • All trains: As it works right now, the liveries will be swapped at random, but would be not affect trains with 'one-of-a-kind' custom liveries.
    • Specific unit numbers: Effectively your 'one-of-a-kind' mode idea. You can tick the boxes of each unit that the livery can be used on. If you pick the livery in the train selector (I'm assuming you're able to pick custom liveries in it) you will always spawn in any of the picked liveries.
    • Custom number: Like you can in TS2021, you can change the displayed class and subclass for the train, so I could reskin the 375/9 and force any ones that spawn in my livery to have 3771xx as their numbers. This would work best with British trains I'd assume.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

I have said this before - if you want us to do these challenges, mastery stuff, and what not, then make it worth while for us to complete them. Few wallpapers, icons, just ain't cutting it. I don't want it, I don't need it. Give me something more substantial. Some cool liveries, sure. Some special scenarios, maybe a train car or two. I'd put in some "work" for things like that. Not for a wallpaper, or icon, or some livery stickers (DTG, far from all of us use the livery editor) I couldn't care less about. You want us to do stuff, then give us a good incentive to do it.

• Like Like x 6
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Frankly, I miss the 'dioramas' we got from Mastery in TSW2020. Those you see every time you're in main menu; I've never actually spotted any of these little Christmas markets in-game even though I have them turned on.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I have unlocked the SPG one and it's basically on the other side of the Amtrak station.

6. seancrabtree2003

seancrabtree2003 Active Member

They should do a special livery for us

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The code exists for the trainbow livery so it ought to be possible to have it for other one-off liveries. When steam engines are in the game then they are of course very individual and often the same class are different colours and have unique names, it will be interesting to see how individual they will be able to be. E.g. I don't want 4 Flying Scotsman's running on the line at the same time!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is some form of predecessor of having nameplates - ie you can have a fleet of locomotives all named, but each nameplate may require a specific skin.

We know the GWE 70s pack will contain a Class 52 - that's 74 locomotives, all with a unique name (and westerns had a plated number because yes), and perhaps a unique skin as a result. It'd not be practical to have 74 skins selectable.

Probably not the case, it's just a thought :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

Nameplates dependent on number have already been done in TSW, on both the WSR 47 and Western. 1661 for the 47, 1010 and 1015 for the Western. Hopefully the 'new' Western has 3D name and numberplates, as the 2D ones on the WSR locos were incredibly disappointing considering freeware TS1 reskins have had 3D nameplates for years.

10. space_ace96

space_ace96 Active Member

In addition to what RobSkip said, this was also done in Peninsula Corridor: All F40PH-2CATs are named after a different city in California. And one of the MP36s, 925, is named after Jackie Speier, the US House Representative that pushed for funding for Caltrain for the Baby Bullet project when she was in the California state assembly. The only reason the nameplates for the 395s weren't included is likely because the names are of fairly famous people whose names would all have to be licensed separately.

11. solicitr

Would be nice. A user here has done some very impressive (real world) special liveries for CSX locos 911 and 1776- but it's a little jarring in-game to see the painted numbers on the sides not match the illuminated number plates!

12. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. The rewards are just - whatever... But unlocking a special livery that spawns on a specific train like the trainbow would be really nice, definitively a +1 from my side. I believe the challenges could be a bit more challenging, but then getting a reward like this would actually make it a nice feature and motivating.

13. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I think the white 375 liveries would be good for this. They're popular enough that people will care, but as they're not realistic on SEHS the sim elitists won't mind them not being included by default.

14. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Don't forget the 3194 :D But yeah, the numbers not matching is a bit of a problem... although I'd much more prefer more layers to properly finish all the details.

15. solicitr

More layers might not be needed, if we had the ability to flatten layers- if that 24-layer logo could be flattened to one, or turned into a decal, we would have lots more headroom.

(Those are yours, Monder? Nice work! All three of them are working Solicitr Patch Grade)

16. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would be nice, but I have noticed that when you group layers and move them to another car (on EMUs/DMUs), it get's weirdly low resolution. If you then split it, it goes back to normal quality. Might be just livery editor though. But if created layers did this, that would be pretty bad.

(Yup. Glad you like them and glad they're running)