One Day.....modded Routes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Amtrak131, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Amtrak131

Amtrak131 Active Member

Over the past 3 years we watched the evolution of our modders work their magic with Train Sim World series. They have been able to repaint objects, trains, alter timetables, add lines and so on. Sooner or later I think they will learn how to mod physical routes sooner or later.

What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that's unlikely. To do so they would need access to an editor to do beyond the basic mods being done. DTG has made it clear they are not going to release an editor to create routes.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Highly unlikely. Repainting or replacing objects are relatively easy, if you know how to do it. Just replace a texture file or change an object file in the route files to replace it with another object. In case of route merging, you already have the route files, just need some tweaking and merge data you already have. Same with sound mods, you are just replacing sound files.

Of course I don't know how these exactly work with Unreal Engine and TSW, but the point is, modders are limited to what they can do, as they can only alter stuff that's already there. But creating a new route would require making something new, which cannot really be done just by picking around in the game files.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Have been enjoying some of the many resins available, especially on US freight, much more realistic to have a variety of different companies cars. One thing I noted however is that car numbering on DTG stock is all different, but the reskined cars are all the same. Just a quick question for those who are familiar with the livery designer, is there a auto-number option or our we stuck with static numbers?

5. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

Not true anymore, i can now even add new stuff to the route, its just very difficult as without editor i can only guess where to add it. Here is small example of my donkey test on ECW (its not replacing any existing object!):
    [​IMG]

They are big only for one reason, so i can see them on the map where i place them :) When they are small, its difficult to find the location - but my test was great and its working like it suppose to work. Of course figuring out rails system will take some more time but this is just the beginning :)

• Like Like x 23
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  6. JAAK

JAAK Member

hahah nice

7. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Behold the overlord Donkey. Obey him.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

There really shold be something like a Mod Hub in the forum or a thread where you can see all available Mods or the Development of WIP Mods, so you don't have to look in five different threads for five different Mods.

This is looking absolutely great, it gives me hope for way more advanced Mods in the future.

9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

There isn't one for TSx and I doubt there will be for TSW
    Without a central hub or allowance for such things it descends into five or six major operators all working independently and no search or coordination
    And obviously none of this works on console, so you're essentially ruling out 66% of the player base anyway

10. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Well done, this is very interesting! Hopefully bodes well for some kind of enhanced route modding in the future.

11. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

with a minor adaptation this should be perfect for a Japanese route - "Aaagh - Godzilla!!"

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dinosbacsi

Damn, I didn't expect that. Well then, I was mistaken.

Though I still don't see much chance for proper routes created this way - mostly because they probably wouldn't be worth the effort to create them. Unless the modders got as far as creating their own editor somehow, that could load the in-game stuff and edit/create route files automatically just like you're doing manually now.

Anyway you're continuing to amaze us my dude, the way you're messing around with TSW sure is someting. Keep up the good work.

13. trainsimcz

Well i can amaze you more... "Unless the modders got as far as creating their own editor somehow, that could load the in-game stuff"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So thats just little hint what im doing :) but the most important stuff is the rails, without that im not able to create route... as im not very skilled programmer its hard to do that, takes long time as im learning that coding during that. So who knows... maybe in couple of years we will see community editor :)

• Like Like x 20
  14. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Yet you've topped basically everyone here and a ton of potential for the game. Mad respect for you!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

That's amazing! Yes I think the community will overtake the expectations of DTG quite quickly indeed it is worth already making a central forum for mods with the main tools stickied at the top and embracing this as it will only improve the game. Maybe the best ones can be incorporated into an official patch for console users via a competition voted on by the community.

• Like Like x 3
  16. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I love your mods. You're so talented! Have you actually ever considered the 'legal' way and contact DTG to be offically thrid party dev?

• Like Like x 2
  17. trainsimcz

I already did that before TSW 2 release and it took them 3 weeks to reply with No, so i decided to start making my tools than :D

• Like Like x 9
  18. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

What a wasted opportunity for DTG. They have their reasons, sure. But your mods are outstandig. Plase keep on the good work, much much appreciated by the PC player community!

• Like Like x 4
  19. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Yeah you are exactly the kind of person that should be able to be given a chance with the modding tool, but they don't want that they want business "partners" with presumably revenue sharing as a core component. A shame as freeware sometimes in TS becomes payware. The point being let people have the tools and then when their products become good enough you can sell them and do the revenue sharing thing at that point. Stipulating that from the get-go seems a bit optimistic to put it mildly.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dinosbacsi

Alright, where can I meet you and buy you a beer?

• Like Like x 1
  21. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

well her name is CZ in the end so czech i'm guessing?

22. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

If requiring partnership hurt TSW2's prospects of great 3rd party content, then requiring console parity and conformation to DTG's pricing strategy killed it.

23. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

At least the beer will be excellent and cheap. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  24. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

As another Czech fellow, I can wholeheartedly confirm :D

• Like Like x 2
  25. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Proud of you mate, wherever a mod forum is i'll definitely keep my eye open.

• Like Like x 1
  26. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Instead of being a 3rd party dev, why don't you just ask them for a job trainsimcz but then again, the way you are now you have tons more freedom than if you worked for DTG :)