Southeastern High Speed Review

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ZeenozPlays, Feb 8, 2021.

1. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

My full review of the Southeastern High Speed route. It has some things going for it, but ultimately falls short of the expectations set for it. We expected it to be on the same level as HMA, but unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way. There are a lot of inaccuracies and issues with this route, and all of that takes away from the overall experience the player has on it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

You said route a lot :D but I couldn’t keep count

3. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

And what’s the problem with the fences on hs1 ? I thought that was supposed to be something that was improved

4. ZeenozPlays

I couldn't keep count while I was rewatching the video either.

5. ZeenozPlays

The fences look nothing like real life. They were "improved" if you can even call it that. But in the video, I show the difference between real life, TS21, and TSW 2. Big difference.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

Maybe it’s TS2021 that’s wrong...Nit saying it is, I personally don’t know and don’t really care that much, just like driving the route the way it is.

7. ZeenozPlays

Nah, if you look at the comparison, you'll see that TS21 is near accurate to real life, while TSW 2 looks nothing like it. It's a problem because it is basically a part of the track. Something that you will always see while going down HS1.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree with everything said. It's a route that is good however some parts felt rushed such as hs1. The fences were added but are way too high and inacurrate. They've used the incorrect ballast on the classic lines, the sound of the 375 is innacurate since they used the sound of the 377, the sound of the 395 is too quiet when in free camera accelerating and the safety system sounds are too loud. This isn't a bad route but some areas felt rushed. The model of the 395 and 375 are accurate apart from the pis of the 375. I feel it could use more polish but overall it's not bad. I wouldn't say this is the best british route ever made

• Like Like x 3
  9. WonkySausages

WonkySausages Member

I think you have to remember that there's only so much they can do with TSW2, in particular because of last gen consoles. The route is 51 miles long and whilst not perfectly represented, i'd imagine they're not far off the limitations last gen consoles bring with them - and they have to keep the game consistent across all platforms, and Sam and Matt fairly regularly on stream have said this. You can't have a "Last Gen" version of the game and a "Current Gen" version of the game, then a "PC" version of the game, because all come with different limitations and thus would be 3 completely different games.

[EDIT] And as a PS5 user, i still often have to remind myself i'm playing a game made for PS4.. Maybe TSW3 if and when that starts development will (and more likely will) ditch last gen platforms so the experience can push the boundaries higher and not worry about last gen. When you look at Train Sim 2021, it can be more detailed in areas as PC's can be pushed way harder and don't have as many limits as consoles do

I will say though, I would like to see the fences changed on the high speed bit between St Pancras and Ebbsfleet, they do look rather bad :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. ZeenozPlays

Including the real fences and fixing the sounds shouldn't be a limitation of the PS4/XB1. There is more they could've done with the DLC, with rather minimal performance impacts on Consoles. If it was close to the limitations, I would've expected it to run like HMA does near Munich, because we definitely know that route is near the limitations.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ZeenozPlays

Honestly, I'm actually holding it over ECW as the best British route, just because of the scenery in Kent.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

In your opinion, what is the best British route for TSW?

13. WonkySausages

WonkySausages Member

granted the sounds/fences thing you point out won't really affect performance and break the limits of what TSW2 can do (as i assume the scenery is behind the fences!), my issue is more to do with your "The route doesn't go to Ramsgate or Victoria" and "a lot of services are missing" portions of your video. It all comes down again, to my point about limitations. The longer a route is, and the more services you have running on a route, the more memory the game needs to use. I'm pretty certain with the PS4/XB1's limitations that the game's performance would be hit quite hard - with lower frame rates or frame rate drops, as well as scenery would have to be cut back even more! Whats in there now keeps the game running smoothly and minimises "out of memory" and other such errors or game crashes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

i would appriciate it if you would not just call it a review video, which would be about the actual driving rather than every issue you have with it, Also I often take a 377 and can confirm that most of the time the outside board just says the destination station, and they havnt managed to get scrolling.
    Also i would like to see you try and make onboard announcements, they will be harder than you think.
    With regards to the layering of the 377/1, in most dlc you get 1 new train and one old one. Your suggesting that they have 1 new and 2 revamped ones, they are litterally the same train, you wouldnt but ecw for the train for SEHS,
    Lasy! Lasy!, in the original SEHS YOU GET ONE TRAIN. Most tsw you get 2 ish train (excluding waggons). Your sugesting they have 5 train all with changes which are not as easy as you think. How dare you call them lazy, you couldnt make one train like the quality they do in a million years.
    395 DESTINATION has been mentioned many times, it is a code based system so for simplicity they have done it internally.
    Least for the raute!!!!! First it is route phonically pronounced rooot rount raut.
    You want 200 of the same thing?
    If you want more services do it again and try and get more points.
    Maybe they want to leave the option open to do a eurostar dlc or another/ extension for South eastern
    They never said those lines would be inclueded, they wernt in tsxx

15. ZeenozPlays

The services shouldn't be a performance thing either, as they are there, but the player just can't operate them. The AI does it.

Yes, I understand that it would've been difficult to extend it to Victoria, but I just feel like there isn't enough playtime with the 375. That's why I did say that it now opens up possibilities for them to create a Chatham/Main Line/Medway Valley Line route. Maybe it doesn't have to be part of it, but there's more to be explored.

I understand what you mean about a bigger route needing more services, thus bringing down the quality of the scenery.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ZeenozPlays

But that's what it is. I've talked about the good parts of the route, how it's relaxing to operate in Kent. A Review includes the good's and bad's of a thing.

What?

They actually have differences on the interior and the exterior of the train. And they are there IRL.

It's funny how you criticize me for pronouncing route the right way.

Um, actually the Chatham Main Line was in TSxx. It ran from Victoria to Kent House.

200 Of what?

Who said anything about Eurostar?

The services to Ebbsfleet lower level. Not just more random services.

Your counter arguments are just... weird.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Alex_m30x#7297

Sorry your american so pronounce it wrong.
    Makes my point that they would take a lot of long time and effort for what they are
    In a different dcl ...
    Services
    Me, if they can stop you going and having services they could in theory then have a euro star dlc, its unlikely but if they let you to lower platform then next people will beasking to let us walk to new stations e.c.t.

18. tallboy7648

East Coastway and GWE

• Like Like x 1
  19. ZeenozPlays

The word “route” can be pronounced either ROOT or ROWT. This is true for both the noun, meaning a course or path, or the verb, meaning to send something by a specific course or path.

Actually, it doesn't make your point. There are differences with only the interior (Metro/Commuter Style) and the Headlight Cluster. With extremely minor differences in the cab.

So? I did say that it opens up the possibility of them doing more In the future with southeastern.

Um, no. People have already been asking for a Eurostar DLC, they ask to walk to new stations?

• Like Like x 1
  20. tallboy7648

But Matt and Sam has said also that tsw2 is designed for long route (100+miles) as well and they are working on improving optimization so once that gets sorted, 100+ mile routes should not be a problem for last gen

• Like Like x 1
  21. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

I watched the review, you make some good points. Don’t worry about people criticising it.

HST on the Great Western route :)

The only thing you didn’t mention was flashing yellows on the SouthEastern Route. I was impressed to see it and it functions correctly- sequence: 2 flashing yellows, 1 flashing yellow, steady yellow with junction indicator. It’s approaching Newington going West. Well, the only slight niggle is that the junction signal should step up to a green (as the next signal is green) but it’s still good enough at this stage anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  22. ZeenozPlays

Maybe he meant 100+ KM and not Miles. As LGV is 100+ KM but under 100 Miles. Just a thought.

23. ZeenozPlays

I appreciate it. Thanks for watching it. I'm not too worried about people criticizing it, I understand some of the criticism I get (Valid Criticism). I can be a bit hard on DTG at times, I know that, but I just wanna see TSW be the best it can be.

• Like Like x 1
  24. tallboy7648

Nah in the end of the year qa, matt said the game is designed for 100 mile routes, 200 mile routes etc but obiovousely that would take ages to make

• Like Like x 1
  25. WonkySausages

WonkySausages Member

if an AI has to run the service or whether you run the service, the game still has to use memory to run it - and probably more than you think as that train will be running to a schedule within the entire in-game timetable. And, say you're at Faversham, its not like a mile or two down the line, the game will just delete it because it's an AI train, that train will stay in the game for the duration you're playing it until you quit.

And besides, every train you see passing you as you play is AI controlled anyway, but as far as i'm aware, almost all trains you see in game are takeoverable (a word i'm gonna send to oxford dictionary to get put into english language :D )

Basically this was a long winded way of saying the more trains you have running, memory is required to run them, the guys at DTG have said on regular occasion on various routes that decisions to limit the number of services running is to keep the game smooth, whether its an issue with the engine or last gen console limitations - the Bakerloo line being a good example of this

• Like Like x 1
  26. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Jesus, calm down.

• Like Like x 1
  27. ZeenozPlays

That's understandable.

28. ZeenozPlays

Well then... *Thinking Emoji* Give me a Japanese High Speed route from Tokyo to Osaka.

• Like Like x 1
  29. tallboy7648

The reason why we haven't gotten the extra services on the bkl was because of issues with the dispatcher itself not performance

• Like Like x 1
  30. tallboy7648

I don't see that happening until improvements of autogen are made because it could use some improvements

• Like Like x 1
  31. ZeenozPlays

True. And I'm guessing that the Dispatcher issue was at Elephant & Castle. With the dispatcher routing trains onto the Southbound Track instead of the Northbound one when entering the station. This would probably cause major delays across the whole line, due to trains having to crossover right outside of the station.

32. ZeenozPlays

Major improvements.

• Like Like x 1
  33. tallboy7648

Jesus Christ sir, can you not handle a bit a critizsm with the positives of his review?

• Like Like x 1
  34. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I agree with this, nothing against ECW, it’s a fantastic commuter line, and offers a good bit of gameplay, mostly thanks to the changing ends at Seaford & Newhaven, and the coupling at Brighton after a late night service before taking multiple units back to the depot.

IMO SEHS brings more to the table, the HS1 to commuter lines offers a very good experience, the rail tours are good fun too, offering more track and stops than the ECW services, the only thing that lets SEHS down (strictly speaking services) is the way the 375 services are a little underwhelming, but that’s due to the limitations of the route.

• Like Like x 1
  35. ZeenozPlays

Some people just don't like when others rightly criticize DTG. Crazy that it even resulted in a critique of the correct pronunciation and "Announcements"

"Welcome aboard this Southeastern Service from London St. Pancras International to Faversham. The next station is Stratford International. This train is ready to depart, please stand clear of the closing doors."

• Like Like x 1
  36. ZeenozPlays

I agree. Even though I don't really like High Speed trains. I still enjoy operating the Class 395, especially from Ebbsfleet to Faversham. Also, while I do agree that the Class 375 and it's services are underwhelming, I still like that part of the route the most, for the reason mentioned before that I don't really like High Speed trains and I'd rather a Commuter/Metro Service.

37. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah I really like the Kent section too, but I love the 395, I’ve also enjoyed the railtours too, hopefully the 465 will bring me enjoyment that the 375 isn’t giving me.

• Like Like x 1
  38. tallboy7648

The kent section is so beautiful and I love the railtour services as well

• Like Like x 2
  39. mtbgamer04

mtbgamer04 Member

The sounds of the 395 are awful in the tunnel and so are the graphics. There are these white specks all over the screen when driving through the tunnel and you can hear other trains driving past in the neighbouring tunnel.

• Like Like x 3
  40. Alex_m30x#7297

Way to necro bump - Please dont reply to threads which are more than a few weeks old unless adding significant value an or answering an unanswered question

• Like Like x 1
  41. ZeenozPlays

The tunnel sounds for almost every train in TSW is awful. No track noise/other issues with sound, horrible lighting, and more. More work needs to be put into making traveling through tunnels more realistic.

• Like Like x 1