Train Sim World: Nec New York Development Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TrainSim-Jay, Mar 14, 2018.

1. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

Engineers, we have entered the final stages of development for Train Sim World: Northeast Corridor New York and whilst testing we have encountered some minor issues that require addressing and have taken the decision to push back the release to Tuesday 20th March.

This will allow us to get the Big Apple ready for your arrival, confirm everything is working as intended, resolve some smaller issues and ensure it is up to the standard you all deserve on the day of release. We appreciate your patience and have put together a video for you to enjoy in the interim.

• Like Like x 4
  2. cultore

cultore New Member

Hi, your answer does not satisfy me but it bothers me a lot, I have been in contact with many route developers for the old Train Simulator Microsoft and despite creating new objects, locomotives, passenger coaches etc, in their spare time, were always precise and timely on the release of the add.on to download for free. Yours is primarily a job and when you set a date you know how to respect it because there are people who pay and need to have a timely interlocutor. I hope this inconvenience is just an isolated episode, moreover you have the foresight to eliminate the various bugs that still exist, that have dragged you from a long time and never resolved, for example the movement of the passengers during the stops at the stations!
    Good day.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. CSX8067

CSX8067 Guest

good job. maybe if they see enough threads about problems they just might actually fix them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Normally I would think it's good if a developer pushed their release back to do some last minute fixes. It ensures quality control by taking the time to eliminate as many problems as possible before release. Unfortunately though, we have to remember that this is DTG. Yeah, nobody's perfect, but DTG has a record of ignoring customers and not doing anything about major problems with the route. Notice how they didn't even say what these problems are and they don't respond when asked questions. I wouldn't be surprised if they're not fixing anything and that they just pushed the release back in the hopes of getting a few more pre orders. I still expect the game to crash 5 minutes into driving this route due to some kind of bug.

• Like Like x 1
  5. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

It could be that DTG just want more pre orders. But it could also be that the route is a complete mess and so bad that DTG can't even release it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. John Murphy

I could see that happening too. I pre ordered the route simply because I knew it was gonna be a mess, but I can't pass up an NEC route since I live in the northeast in real life and I'm familiar with most of the locations (I live about 4 miles away from the NEC just south of Philadelphia). So I decided I'd much rather pay the lower pre order price instead of waiting until it comes out and paying full price. Being a Philly native, I have to quote Ben Franklin here: "A penny saved, is a penny earned."

7. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

Always love positive thinking...
    Are you descended from Russians, by any chance?

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

Instead of deleting my question.....could you confirm if there is going to be any updates regarding the other DLC we already have at the time of release?

And will there be a timetable released prior to release as this will determine my purchase?

Hope to get a reply second time around

9. John Murphy

Nope. Irish.

Yeah, thinking "positive" really helps you learn what to expect from DTG.

10. Acela1a

Acela1a New Member

11. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It’s very unlikely you’ll see all the services, and more likely 200 departures, as currently in GWE there is a very sparse timetable compared to real life due to not having all the rolling stock and at this time the game can not handle that amount of services.

12. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Amtrak is not a big part of those departures. It is mostly LIRR. Plus, we only have northeast regionals in this route, so even then it’s only a bit of Amtrak services. It wouldn’t surprise me if they artificially increase the number of northeast regional trains compared to real life.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John Murphy

Uh...no, you're definitely not gonna see that kind of traffic density in service mode. Actually, it's probably gonna be pretty sparse. Probably only 2 or 3 Amtrak trains per hour in each direction. Because the route is too short for any Amtrak runs, I just hope there's a lot of freight stuff to do.

14. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Agreed. But then again, DTG may have purposely omitted LIRR and NJT services to keep FPS in-check. Amtrak + NJT + LIRR + lots of passengers on platforms = an FPS disaster with the current optimization.

15. pschlik

I highly doubt LIRR and NJT trains were remotely even considered at all to be modeled-that’s a whole new factor to dev time, and considering the route is only 30 miles, they don’t even have the dev time to properly model Amtrak stuff, much less make models for NJT and LIRR trains.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

NEC will have around 80 services, including freight. So you see an average of 3-4 trains per hour.

• Like Like x 1
  17. John Murphy

Again, I just hope a lot of them are freight services, or movements in Sunnyside Yard, because this route is too short for any good passenger operations.

18. Kalikowsky

Kalikowsky New Member

New dlc is always fresh air for game,and new experience, but this requies finished content, and supporting older addons.

I have feeling that DTG focuses only on the new content. This opinion is based on insignificant update frequency and a small list of changes during each of them.

Moreover, DTG is still ignoring customers except positive comments,and this is why TSW is still mixed experience for us. Nothing can be
    perfect, but beside great ideas of TSW, we still have major problems with stability, optimalization,missing features and bugs...

I hope, that Train Sim World is something more than chance to get money.
    For now, this bright light is starting to fade and it does not seem to be shining like before.

ss_91c382059c3baf8a46bdb8c22988a308912f57fa.1920x1080.jpg

This is personal opinion.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  19. John Murphy

Actually, I personally believe a lot of the people who leave positive reviews on their content are paid to do it, so people looking at reviews will see the good stuff they wrote and buy the DLC. There's been plenty of times where I've seen a few good comments and reviews up at the top, but then everything else is all negative, complaining about inaccuracies and bugs.

20. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

You can expect an honest and ruthless review of NEC:NY from me. If there are positives, I will say so and I'm certainly not getting paid.

• Like Like x 9
  21. dbw

dbw New Member

No problem. I met some of your colleagues at FlightSimCon last June and they struck me as really caring about their product. i assume they same is with the rail side of DT. Looking forward to the 20th.

22. John Murphy

You need to be ruthless with DTG. They're ignorant pigs to their customers. And if anybody doesn't believe me and wants to argue or downvote my post, just try filing a support ticket with them next time your game crashes and go through the whole troubleshooting process getting maybe 1 response a month from them. Then after it's all over, they come out and say that you're having these problems because your computer is too weak and that you need to upgrade to a more powerful machine, even though the evidence shows that the problem has nothing to do with your computer and is being caused by bugs in the game and faulty unfinished content.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Hi Jay,
    That's new about
    What about release time?
    Thanks!

24. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

Probably 6pm GMT

25. JackRyan

JackRyan Member

Is there a twitch preview scheduled for today or tomorrow before the release?

26. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

I heard tomorrow but I do not know exactly when

27. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 8
  28. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Some updates from the stream. The game will have around 269 passenger services. There are no freight services yet although you can still operate freight by entering in walk mode. Actually you can essentially free roam around doing as much freight switching and shunting as you like it seems. Lots of manual switches around the freight yards.

The reason there is no freight currently is because they're working on a more in-depth freight schedule and are half way through doing so. Apparently going to be a lot of switching; takes a long time to implement. Within a week or so there should be a public beta available to test it. The game with automatically switch in the GP38 from CSX:HH into service mode to replace some of the GP38 that come with NEC; that way you have all liveries. It will also switch in the GP40 if you have it. They're adding a YN3 reskin for the GP40 in NEC too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  29. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Great to see they are adding YN3B to GP40-2, was a bit strange that they only made the GP40-2 in YN2B originally when all the other locomotives also had YN3B liveries. Will also be interesting to see the in-depth freight schedule and the amount of variety they add to the freight services. One question, there are 269 passenger services, do so many Amtrak trains operate along this route every day in real life or have they used the ACS-64 for NJ Transit services as well?

30. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't know and I don't think it was mentioned.

Rapid Transit has apparently had a bit of work done to it. DTG are now using baked lighting for underground stations to reduce the FPS hit and that's been carried over to RT with a increase in the FPS in the tunnels. Looked nice on stream.

31. Stig

Stig New Member

That's really great, but you still haven't answered my question. I first asked this question exactly a week ago, and once more on the live stream today. It's just a simple yes/no question:

Will there be speed limits signs along the route, and will the cab signalling system work properly?

Right now I don't mind if there's not signs along the route or if the cab signalling isn't working, I just want an honest answer.

- Stig

32. pschlik

In real life there are only around 50 Northeast Regional trains, and that’s what the included stock replicates (though there isn’t actually enough stock to replicate all the types of Northeast Regionals for that matter), so much in the same vein as CSX Heavy Haul, the actual rail activity of the featured stock has been ramped up quite a bit. Except CSX had like 50% more trains than real life, while this has like 500% as many as the real thing.

Or you could argue that other Amtrak trains are being accounted for, but everything is using the Northeast Regional Café car paint job. And really the 200 services would still be too many even if it represented every single Amtrak train that stops there.

EDIT: For reference, if they also included the Keystone services (which use ACS-64s...and cab cars) that's 26 more services, and also the Acela (completely wrong train set, but they could have done those, IDK) there would be almost 40 services there, so almost 60 more real life services. Other Amtrak trains going to Penn are long distance and don't add that much to the count. So a bit over 120 services is what you expect from Amtrak at NY Penn IRL.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

If they didn't ramp it up; people would complain the game was too bare. All of the services that GWE has and people still want more.

The developers can only do so much with the time given to them which is decided by the marketing, finance and admin side of the company. I'm sure they'd love to put much more of a variety of rolling stock but it's not up to them.

• Like Like x 4
  34. Kuu Lightwing

Kuu Lightwing Active Member

I think that the new route and locomotive looks great, and freight part also has some potential, but...

- New York Penn station looked very dark and barren. I'm not sure that's how it supposed to be.
    - No traction motor fixes. I guess I just should forget about it and accept that it would never be fixed on old locomotives. The best we could hope for is newer diesel-electrics.
    - No freight schedule makes me think that the release was forced and coupled with the delay makes it looks like they couldn't finish it in time, and had to release in this state.

• Like Like x 1
  35. CarCat

CarCat New Member

I have never owned a Dovetail game, and wanted TSW: CSX Heavy Haul, but have been waiting for it to go onto Xbox. I just saw this and got so excited, as I live on the NEC. I was excited to drive by my house along the tracks, drive an Acela at 150; but no. We're only getting NYC; Where there is not a single place I can think of in that area where they hit over 110, I live along tracks where Acelas go by at 150mph. I live in Rhode Island, and when you go out onto the platform it is dead straight for 5 miles, either direction. It's great. I'm glad we have freight too, but only SD40-2s. I might wait until we get a workshop mod that realistically puts in the northern, fastest part of the NEC. I don't care if it's paid, I'll get it. Also, an Acela would be nice. But for now, not interested to spend that much money on so little.

• Like Like x 1
  36. John Murphy

Hmm, Something tells me they're gonna try to substitute a few NJT trains with Amtrak equipment (uh DTG, you know you have a license with NJT) because 269 Regionals sounds absolutely ridiculous. Even though the freight trains in service mode aren't ready yet due to corporate's impatience and greed, forcing the devs to release the route before it's finished, I like how at least you can still free roam in freight trains. It could be a pretty good challenge free roaming while simultaneously dodging Amtrak trains. The only thing I'm concerned about with freight is if it's accessible from Amtrak stations. I would hate to spawn at Penn station and have to walk through the East River Tunnel, through Sunnyside Yard, and across the Hell Gate just to get to a freight train. They'll probably have player spawn points in the freight yards too, but you never know with DTG.

37. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

There are some Approach Permanent Speed Limit signs and the cab signaling does NOT work properly. It's actually in a very bad state right now. I made a bunch of critiques to them today and I was told they were forwarded to their team.

38. bobsr

bobsr Member

New York Penn Station, where you board the trains, is dark and barron. I know this because, for thirty straight years, I have taken 2 to 4 trips from and to Penn Station, per year. Actually, looking at the video, to me it is not dark enough.

39. pschlik

You realize that every single route has had a bunch of spawn points to choose from, and when Matt paged around them in the stream today, you can not only spawn at Oak Point, you can also spawn at Harlem River, Hunts Point, and Fresh Pond. You don't even need to walk the measly half mile between Oak Point and Harlem River.

• Like Like x 3
  40. John Murphy

I didn't watch the stream. I'm not really trying to judge this route yet. I'm just sharing my personal opinions so far. But oh man, I'm ready to rip into DTG tomorrow when I can actually experience the route.

• Like Like x 3
  41. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

It’s not so easy to just pop out an NJT consist(s) like that. We’ll get sprinkles of stuff as time progresses like extension to Stamford, Acela Express, LIRR Branch, maybe extension to Trenton. Who knows, the possibilities are endless but it takes time to model the trains and there’s really not much of a need for NJT trains besides for AI traffic. Trust me I wanted to see some LIRR trains as well but until we can get some legit commuter routes for this DLC, we can’t expect those trains. I’m also not entirely sure the TS license transfers to TSW, we’ll just have to see.

42. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Sure; not trying to judge it at all.

One of the interesting thing I've gathered from the stream is that TSW does have a substitution mode so the game can substitute rolling stock into service mode as long as they're a similar length (too make sure they fit in assigned sidings). There might be other requirements but I'm not sure; it's probably a system in refinement.

Anyway; that's why the GP40 will work in NEC. It'll substitute them and the GP38 from CSX:HH into NEC because they're a similar length. Might do the SD40-2 as well, we'll have to wait and see.

43. Kuu Lightwing

I'd rather not have GP40-2 because they seem way too underpowered compared to rest of the diesel-electric fleet. :/

44. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

You don't have to use it.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Kuu Lightwing

Hmm... but they spawn randomly, aren't they? So I might have to use them :)

46. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

If you're free roaming then you obviously don't because you can pick up any freight loco you can find.

Once the freight schedule is in place in NEC you won't have too because you'll have choice. Look at CSX:HH; the GP40 didn't replace anything, it can be used in substitution for services already there.

47. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Also, before someone points out the GP40 can't do the work of the loco it shares services with in Heavy Haul, New York city isn't typically known for its massive mountains so I doubt it'll be an issue. From the stream last night you're looking at a lot of switching, shunting and local traffic. Something a lot of people have been asking for; hence why the Devs are putting in an in-depth freight schedule for service mode.

48. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I don't watch live steam (it has delay, so I watch movie),
    Thanks Corvan for report
    It sounds like some consist editor tool (under player control), or is just some random consist generator (game control).
    Feature like random consist generator is already here, GP40-2 DLC works that way.

49. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Not under player control, no.

Lets say, for example, that you don't own the GP40 DLC and and spawn into one of the freight yards in the new route. There are two sidings; in both sidings there are two GP38s coupled together. Three of those are in the new livery (I'm not good with the names of the CSX paint schemes) and one of them is in the old grey one. So, the grey one came from CSX: HH. The game substituted that in itself.

Now lets say that you do own the GP40 DLC; well then two of those GP38s might become GP40s because, again, the game automatically substituted them in.

Now from the services selection screen, when the freight schedule is ready, you might want to do a particular trash run and you'll find it listed under the GP38 and GP40 because they're both capable. You have choice; choice is good.

50. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

Im interested to see the difference in passenger levels as thats across the board.....so will take the update....try out rapid transit......then GWE in a 166 and see if people actually get on and off my train if they do i shall support DTG and purchase the new DLC full price, if the same issues stand (mainly the deadlyness of stations and lack of passengers) then I shall wait to see what the future holds.