Roadmap Update - 9th February 2021

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Feb 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Who thought it was a good idea to get rid of the bug list for future roadmaps? It gave people hope that their most pressing bugs would be fixed, and was one of the more transparent things DTG do.

• Like Like x 9
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It should be a priority because it's a real immersion killer to the point where some don't want to play the route. It's about time that fixes for that route are coming

• Like Like x 2
  3. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I would agree that SEHS should've been higher than LIRR, but LIRR was in dire need of improvement, those sounds were really broken.

• Like Like x 4
  4. trainnick77

trainnick77 Member

Looks to me like they have scrapped the roadmap

• Like Like x 4
  5. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

DTG should be the pallbearers at my funeral, so they can let me down one last time.

• Like Like x 16
  6. arekev

arekev Active Member

New community manager starting this week and now they are rolling back on what they tell us, Hope the is not the new future direction !!

• Like Like x 8
  7. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I agree, bring back the old roadmap style, the new one is just stupidly unclear

• Like Like x 6
  8. ZeenozPlays

Yeah, it's a good thing it's getting fixed, but Jesus, nothing for other routes is a bit of an extreme approach to changing up the roadmap. Unless they plan on releasing multiple roadmaps for different things.

9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Is the world about to end?!

They haven't taken it away for good, they are re-designing it, many companies don't provide a roadmap at all. It is a shame the SEHS isn't covered but it will be discussed on the live stream and presumably will be spoken about on the forum.

Personally I am looking forward to seeing what they next route releases are to be but I can wait a while longer.

I think there is a bit of a mountain being made out of a molehill here.

• Like Like x 13
  10. tallboy7648

Plus LIRR was not as an enjoyable route compared to sehs because of all of the route's issues.

• Like Like x 2
  11. formulabee#1362

Also what if u don’t have time to tune into the streams?

• Like Like x 3
  12. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

What about those unable to watch the stream? Is there going to be something here on the forum?

• Like Like x 1
  13. tallboy7648

It'll be reposted on their Youtube channel so you can rewatch it if you can't watch it live. That's what they've done from the beginning with all their roadmap streams

• Like Like x 2
  14. ZeenozPlays

Thank you. LIRR needed some attention and it's getting some. Maybe they have a plan to do one roadmap for each route + new releases. They are redesigning it, and yes, while it does feel like they made a bad choice to not include more things to it, we can only wait to see what else they are putting on the roadmap. It's not like the other routes aren't getting any attention.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ZeenozPlays

Exactly. These fixes will make the route more enjoyable for everyone that has it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Ah but removing it gives DTG the “out” if they can’t or just won’t fix it. If it’s not listed..

• Like Like x 3
  17. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

I'm for the old version of the plan. This new version is completely unusable for me. I don't understand why you changed that.

• Like Like x 2
  18. eltt007

eltt007 Member

Many of us do not clearly understand English, nor what is continually being talked about on YouTube about the roadmap. We follow the route as the only way to find out what DGT is working on, right now many people feel disappointed because it was already hard to understand what they were working on now much less.

• Like Like x 3
  19. JAAK

JAAK Member

my disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

• Like Like x 9
  20. formulabee#1362

No but what if u don’t have the time to catch up on the stream, because u have mountains of work to do

21. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Maybe I'm not up to date, I was gone for a while...

155 and 182 for SKA?
    New timetable for RRO?
    Plus, a whole long list of less interesting promises (from my perspective at least).

Now it turns out there will be a 'big nothing' instead.
    Is THIS Sam's Mysterious Surprise? Maybe I missed something. WOW :D
    For the first time in weeks, I am looking here with considerable interest, to be honest, because it's the Roadmap Update.

Bravo Dovetail. Natalka will soon have a nose longer than Pinocchio.
    Good job!

• Like Like x 2
  22. Ferrovipathe67

Ferrovipathe67 Well-Known Member

hello to you for me this new versions of this roadmap is simply a misinformation of the team which is DTG I think that we should never redo a roadmap of this style it is a bad communication blow

• Like Like x 2
  23. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Everything DTG does at the minute turns to the proverbial. They just can’t seem to do anything right.

• Like Like x 5
  24. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Wow.
    This could have been said to us well in advance; if they knew they weren’t able to provide us with a roadmap today, then a heads up may have been slightly better rather than “Roadmap 9th February” and then just provide a small list of LIRR bugs.

I don’t get wound up by this much, but preferably a heads up in advance saying that there will be no Roadmap would have been nice.

• Like Like x 8
  25. tubefan1973

tubefan1973 Well-Known Member

but still, not all people have the time to skim through a video, but an article can be read by all

• Like Like x 2
  26. kuchen0125

kuchen0125 Active Member

Make the Train Sim World Roadmap great again!

You ruin my day, happy all day and now bad because this Roadmap!!

• Like Like x 7
  27. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Apart from the disappointment of no road map today, DTG must have known before now that this would be the content so why were we not gently let down via the forum at some point in the last week rather than dropping it on us at the time everyone was logging in, eagerly anticipating an update, thereby leading to massive disappointment and bad feeling towards DTG?

This is very poor communication and customer service.

• Like Like x 2
  28. artsphotosuk

artsphotosuk Member

ZomboMeme 09022021162935.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  29. formulabee#1362

Exactly...

• Like Like x 1
  30. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It feels a bit like a disappointment. The long list of LIRR issues is impressive,e specially the claim this is half of the list. I am not sure I want to know this all in advance. I see a number of problems:

Is this list ordered in priority order? That would be helpful, so we have some idea on what is worked first.
    This list is quite long for a four person team. Is there any estimate of a range on how long it would take to process all issues?
    At the moment the preserved collection team can be done and then it is totally unclear when the stuff will actually be released. It would be nice to have at least some idea on a release time frame. The release team must be working with a planning as well?

Give all these issues I can imagine Sam has a problem, even though the roadmap is a good idea.

I think for a real improvement the planning process for fixes should be improved. This requires:

- A better release process (why not release small updates as Mods first, I worked for a long time with a system that used this approach). Later you can integrate it in the official game core and remove the mods.
    Second is much more focus is needed. I worked for a long time with a team that did about 60-70 small changes over a two week period, but most of them did not involve more than a few hours of work including testing. We only could manage this with a good administration and keeping a strong focus.
    The last point, there should be more focus on first time right. A bug you discover after releasing a product will be far more work to fix, than it would have been if you discover it during development.

• Like Like x 3
  31. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

The roadmap was fine before, and this change isn’t even an improvement. In fact its exactly the opposite. Only showing LIRR fixes is disappointing and confusing. Hopefully all the negative feedback makes it apparent that this is not a good change at all

• Like Like x 5
  32. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

So, let me understand this right, the DTG position is essentially, "We wanted the roadmap to be clear, transparent, and accurate. However we've found it hasn't been accurate. So our solution is to just be less clear and transparent."

• Like Like x 10
  33. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

No need for shouting. To me this feels as to offensive. You may appreciate DTG at leats tries to inform us well.

34. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

what is this??? in planning, in production, upcoming, next arrival. who find this hard to read????

• Like Like x 3
  35. ZeenozPlays

It sure seems like that lately

36. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

We will be focussing tonight's stream on answering these initial questions you have regarding the new Roadmap, we will not be "taking a step back" by keeping you in the dark. We are aiming to make what is on future Roadmaps more reliable and consistent.

As was explained in the article,
    We will also be discussing SEHS as Sam has stated. If anyone is unable to watch the stream live or catch up on Youtube at a later time, I will be answering any questions the community have on the forums.

We will also provide update notes alongside the SEHS patch when it gets released.

• Helpful Helpful x 9
    • Like Like x 6
  37. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

It was only yesterday that Sam was talking about how this roadmap would be different, I suppose technically he was correct.

• Like Like x 3
  38. ZeenozPlays

Oh no.

39. D41

D41 New Member

Thank you for your message Nat ! Love U (lol)

40. theorganist

This isn't the change though, it explains that in the article.

• Like Like x 2
  41. longo239

What about those who haven't got the time or inclination to sit and listen to Sam loving the sound of his own voice for an hour?

• Like Like x 4
  42. tallboy7648

The reaction here makes it feel like the world is about to end. I feel like everyone is being a tad bit overdramatic. At least you understand what dtg are doing theorganist and a few others. The LIRR needed to get major bug fixes because it was plagued with problems. I for one have not played it since it came out because of the problems and I give dtg a thumbs up for listing all the problems that will be fixed on the lirr including the audio cut out issues. It doesn't mean ladies and gents that dtg are not working or have forgotten about future and other current content. It was just the fact that the lirr got so much noise with all the problems that route has had for 5 months and now they are gonna fix the problems. They have clearly stated if you actually read the darn thing that they will not include the full list as well so presumably the next one will go back to the orinigal format with some tweaks. It's not the end of the world and at least dtg have a roadmap to list what is being working on because not all companies do what dtg do so I thank you theorganist

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  43. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

Very confused by this. The older versions were easy to understand. I won't understand what is going on until I actually get to see the new version. I actually look forward to the roadmap, so slightly disappointed that there isn't one. I suppose the problem is that the roadmap worked perfectly well for the community, but it's not working for DTG some how. Who would have thought that something so simple in principle could be made so complicated? "If it's not on the roadmap, then it might be there secretly, but we don't want you to know about it? "... Kind of undermines the whole purpose of it.

• Like Like x 4
  44. tubefan1973

tubefan1973 Well-Known Member

Thank You! I would also like to point out on the roadmaps prior, we have had no info on the issue of Hauptstrecke Munchen-Augsburg Layers on consoles. Prehaps, every 2nd update we could have some insight into bigger issues gridlocked to the very bottom of the Roadmap.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

upload_2021-2-9_17-52-26.png
    But in all seriousness what is happening? Roadmaps are definitely meant for more engaged people in the TSW community. Them being not completely perfect is not a problem as long as then get the information through. Make sections (upgrades, content, fixes), within the sections separate next arrival, upcoming, etc. and FOCUS ON THE INFORMATION, that's what matters more, not a shiny roadmap, useful roadmap. And if something gets started and finished between roadmaps... well we know that, we've been told that can happen. We've been hearing about the importance of this roadmap since SEHS release, and it's not even on it? A list of fixes would be simple to put in. It will be covered on stream, but it's good to know ahead and prepare questions... or are there supposed to be no questions?

• Like Like x 6
  46. theorganist

Exactly, I honestly cannot see the fuss. It explains in the article what is happening, it is almost as if some are just dying to get angry over something.

I expect there are many people in the world, those who are starving or living in the middle of conflicts, or who have loved ones on a ventilator dying from Coronavirus, for example, who wish the lack of a roadmap from a software developer was their main problem!

Some perspective really is needed here!

• Like Like x 2
  47. longo239

Why did it need to wait for the usual roadmap release time to post an article stating there isn't going to be a roadmap as such today?

• Like Like x 2
  48. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

You now demand that we have to watch the stream or look for information in the forum itself?
    What's the problem with writing it in the roadmap like before? That makes it easier for everyone.
    And yes, this method is a clear step backwards. It is not understandable why you do something like this and it seems that you are more distant from the people here than approaching them. This is not a good sign for the future.

• Like Like x 3
  49. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

FINALLY some LIRR updates. That poor route was in really need of one. If these updates drop, I'm definitelly reinstalling TSW2 (as I currently only have TS on my PC).

Though I have to agree with people complaining, this new Roadmap format is weird. It would be better if it included the previous stuff also. Just like it used to, with little arrows representing change in status and stars representing new entries on the list.

• Like Like x 3
  50. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the roadmaps in my opinion, I like them being laid out in series "in production, in planning etc" and found it very easy to read.

In my opinion it just sounds like somebody couldn't be bothered to update the sections in the usual roadmap format this week. How can a huge post of text with a bullet point list of fixes with no headers be any substitute for what was already working fine for many people?

Regardless I'm grateful for the time and effort that goes into these posts, but the format that was there before was fine. Easy to see and read.

If making roadmaps once a month rather than fortnightly, helps to get your ducks in a row before you press go , then by all means do it. Things change in development and that's understandable. Perhaps having a larger interval between roadmaps would help to provide a more reliable approach to the roadmap

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.