Improvement On Building Textures

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Feb 13, 2021.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I was just wondering what people’s thoughts are on building textures. I’ve been playing a few routes lately and I noticed that some of the buildings are almost uniform texture from top to bottom.

I was thinking we should start sharing some examples of these. I think things look a bit clinical In places.

Please post any buildings you think need improving.

2. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Would be nice to get an example what you mean.

I think it's not thaaat important. In and around stations - totally agreed. But i don't expect every building on a route to be top textured, especially when you drive e.g. the ICE with 250kmh, it's just a waste of time and resources to have every single building highly detailed.

3. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

In NTP, all of them, except for the houses and flats. I know it's a few years old now but seriously, there's much better textured buildings in TS1.

Next time you are on NTP, take a close look at the buildings, roads, mountains, it's truly awful. I still love the route the because of the period it's set in and I also love that stretch of line IRL and it's always a pleasure travelling on it but in TSW2 it really could do with a massive overhaul, including adding night lighting

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. hightower

hightower Guest

There's no question that some of the assets in TSW2 are from TS1. That's not an issue, but some of them appear to be from the kuju days rather than the more modern ones.

If you drive SEHS with a TS1 ride open on another screen, it's clear that a number of buildings etc. are from the TS1 route. Some of the texturing is just such low resolution it's depressing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

This is not true. Assests and other things can't just be moved from TS to TSW. Other game, other engine. You cannot just convert something like that.

6. hightower

hightower Guest

Er, Yes you can. They're just 3D assets, in the same way newly created ones are. They need to be changed into a format TSW2 can use and go through the UE4 editor etc but of course it’s entirely possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

For simple scenery objects, you can. Get the old 3D model of a TS building and re-export it in a 3D format that TSW uses. GWE was the first to re-use a few TS buildings and assets.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

the entire Brighton station building from ECW is from TS1.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Place whatever assets you like on routes, just needs time and creative use to blend with other scenic items. The issues come about when something low res is dropped in a bare area.

10. hightower

hightower Guest

What’s really poor is not even how they’ve used TS1 assets (which is entirely fair if they’re up to scratch - and there are plenty that are) but how they’ve not bothered to re-texture them. Coming up against low-res 2012 kuju textures in your ‘next-gen’ sim is outright rubbish.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I fear that might be a theme going forward if they insist on finding efficiencies to keep parity.

• Like Like x 1
  12. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Don't get me started!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I know. I wont go there..

• Like Like x 1
  14. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

Well Mr Speedy Pants, it becomes a lot more important if you drive a 25 mph, or less, freight service...just sayin... ;)

• Like Like x 3
  15. chieflongshin

I think it was coming out of Leeds and the flats that caught my eye and made me wonder too. I’ll get some pics

16. GrayDawg

Back in the OGTS days (for me) I loved the game, but the world was never that good looking to be honest. Sure, there were some ways to improve it, and I have been there, done that, but still, the underlaying problem always remained. You had to just sort of learn to see pass it, best you could. Then when TSW was announce, I hoped for that everything would look much better, and it does in many ways, don't get me wrong, but as we all know by now, not as good as it could look, as it should (?) look. Personally I always hoped for that it would look like ETS2/ATS does. Lightyears better than OGTS, but without pushing performance out the window on the 72nd floor, and still realistic enough to satisfy all my immersion needs. I thought it should definitely be doable because both being simulators, simulating a world that fly by at speed as you travel through it (trains a little faster, I know), so very similar in many ways. But we got what we got.

To demonstrate what I mean, what I wished and hoped for, just take a minute to look at the pictures in the first post in at the link below. This is identical to how my ATS looks now, and in glorious 4K to boot. Why can't TSW look like that. Towns are filled with life, very detailed, always things going on everywhere, on and off the road. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive. The world is so immersive. TSW would have an even easier time looking and feeling like this since all you really need is what you see from the tracks. Not all the streets and super detailed environments far off in a distance, just those at close to medium distance from the tracks. But the overall look and feel of the world, the beautiful landscapes and vistas, the awesome looking skies, the huge mountains and great rivers etc. Just so good...

https://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=202&t=292506&sid=df80ad5468bfc21982aa65be1ff30e72

17. chieflongshin

Is this made by same company as euro tuck simulator. Looks much better

18. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Textures are very detailed but you need to be closer to them to notice it. From distant views they are flat to save performance. See the details on windows and walls paint on Hagen station for instance.

TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping 2021-02-13 22-44-54.png

TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping 2021-02-13 22-45-42.png

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. hightower

hightower Guest

Let me correct that for you...

A small selection of Textures are very detailed but you need to be closer to them to notice it.

It’s even more noticeable when you see the good next to the bad.

20. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Maybe that´s true but being fair with DTG I think that in general textures of structures and foliage which are close to the tracks are good. If you go to a suburb or forest 1 mile from tracks they are less detailed but it also has no sense that far objects are so detailed. That´s why LODs are used. I honestly can´t remember many cases where textures of things in the foreground are really horrible but for sure there will be examples, I don´t doubt it. I normally focus my attention on short distances from driving area.´

Anyway remember you can always use r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale to force higher detailed LODs to be loaded even on distant objects. Set it to 0.5 or 0.25 and everything will load at higher details from far away, but performance hit is important as well.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  21. GrayDawg

Yes it is. SCS Software. ATS is a very nice looking game, and with a few mods, high resolution, AA tweaks, and what he talked about in that post, that's what you get. ETS2 can be made look about the same too.

22. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Pity we can't edit routes easily, I'd like to see packs from the likes of Pawerybs, ICE, News or SAD's assets, whenever I get a German or Austrian route that has Kujunk assets in I like to get my stash of Pawerybs out and do some swappin!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1