Sehs - Low Gpu Usage Causing Low Fps

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by volvolover1972, Feb 10, 2021.

1. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

I just got into playing SEHS in the last couple days and I noticed that my FPS seems to be significantly lower when compared to other routes. My FPS on SEHS hovers around 30-70 at 4K ultra settings, so my complaints are not about unplayable frame rates but rather inconsistency between DLCs. I have an RTX 3080, 32 memory, and a 10700K and yet when playing SEHS, task manager shows limited CPU and memory usage and does have GPU usage surpassing 60%. Clearly, if more of the GPU was utilized then FPS would be able to surpass 70 in many areas of the route. On other routes (i.e. LGV, IOW, HMA) I usually get lower FPS (30-60) in places with a lot of OHLE and dense scenery and then get 100+ in most other areas. (I even reach 144+ on LGV). My point is that TSW seems to have a problem with efficiency and utilization of system resources and there are massive inconsistencies between different DLC.

2. hightower

hightower Guest

Run it under DX12. All your prayers will be answered. I’m on a 2080ti with Ultra and .ini edits and almost a bulletproof 60fps (capped) everywhere. If I didn’t have the .ini edits in there it would never drop below 60fps.

SEHS runs very well indeed FWIW.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

How does the Dx12 witchcraft work/get activated?

4. hightower

hightower Guest

Here you go. Instructions at the end

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. chieflongshin

Perfect. Thanks Hightower and real easy. Seems to improve the lighting to me

• Like Like x 1
  6. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Thank you! This seems to have solved the problem of the sim not using all my system resources. I'm getting much higher FPS now.

• Like Like x 2
  7. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

Wait what?? Lol.. uhmmm I am not having any issues.. yet..but I have an 8 year old computer. I think I may give this a try.

8. hightower

hightower Guest

Are you aware of the engine.ini edits you can make on PC that will vastly improve the visuals too?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. hightower

hightower Guest

It doesn’t work on every computer (seems to favour newer more powerful hardware) and isn’t officially supported. Nothing lost in giving it a go though.

10. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Specifically, it reduces CPU draw call overhead in CPU intensive areas (München is a shining example of one such area). Users who may have a weaker GPU that is already always pegged will not see any performance benefit (and may even see a performance decrement because more work is offloaded to the already-maxed GPU). Personally, I have an older, but heavily multicore CPU and a much newer and more powerful GPU, which is the ideal configuration for seeing a massive performance improvement: where the CPU would normally be the bottleneck in DX11.

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Out of interest, what are your .ini settings, please? Your game always looks visually really good!

12. hightower

hightower Guest

Hey Shaun.

This is what I currently have in there, which I played around with specifically for SEHS. Hope it's of some use.

[SystemSettings]
    r.ViewDistanceScale=4
    r.Color.Mid=0.45
    r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.5
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=7
    r.LandscapeLOD0DistributionScale=3
    r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
    r.TextureStreaming=0
    r.BloomQuality=3
    r.SSR.Quality=2
    r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=4
    r.AmbientOcclusion.FadeRadiusScale=50
    r.Shadow.FilterMethod=1
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.EnableUprightCompensation=0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.KSitting.Y=100.0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.KSitting.Z=50.0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.Y=10
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.Z=2
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.SittingPivotOffset=-200
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.X=10

Also, if you're interested in a MOD for SEHS I made this;

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...gh-speed-real-world-posters-billboards.35145/

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Lovely, I’ll give that a go! I’ve got a decent spec PC, with a few .ini improvements, but would like to go a bit further!

• Like Like x 1
  14. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

Wow thanks everyone! I used to be a "tinkerer" with all other sims (U-boats, flight sims, racing sims, etc.) I mean I searched for every tweak to get every ounce of FPS .. or other improvements.. now I'm older.. don't want to bother.. just like to buy a game, play vanilla, no mods (well.. almost lol).. hit a button such as "medium graphics" and play.. I've recently done this with MSFS, a new racing sim, and now this. With that said.. I still might peek at these settings someday :)

15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

One caution about DX12: if you happen to use the livery editor, or use livery-editor repaints, DX12 will crash on load.

16. chieflongshin

I have noticed using DX12 on NTP that the cab will occasionally have a texture load in where everything goes blurry momentarily so be mindful of that too. Not a game breaker but it happens.

• Like Like x 1
  17. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

This happens on SEHS for me as well when running DX12.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. hightower

hightower Guest

Turn texture streaming off if your machine can handle it (it’s very likely it can). It’s rubbish anyway.

That blurring whilst looking around has been an issue right back to before TSW2020 and I believe is a combination of the texture streaming and motion blur. It may well also be a function of Disk speed.

I find it’s intermittent, and often occurs right at the start of a scenario/service. Once I have a good look around it goes away. If I turn motion blur off entirely I never see it.

20. chieflongshin

That’s exactly the same for me. It’s a power point presentation to begin with but then once you e had a good look around it’s fine thereafter

• Like Like x 1
  21. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I've got a GTX1070 ti which while its not young isn't a potato :). Running DX11 I sit around 40 to 50fps on SEHS with the drops down to 35fps when there are two trains moving. Running DX12 makes fog and rain look a lot nicer but it means I run at 30 to 35gps with drops down to 24fps when there are two trains which is just a bit too slow to take advantage of DX12 even though it looks nicer. Weirdly in the 395 Javelin some things on the console like the speed display get fuzzy where as they are crisp under DX11. An interesting experiment.

To keep it objective I had the F3 FPS counter on and I recorded both doing the same scenario trying to be about the same in the timing of thing then played them back side by side. I watched the GPU load using GPU-Z and its about 98% on DX11 with wiggles and 100% pegged on DX12.

22. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I've had the problem of loco's headlamp lights flickering like a strobo-party when using DX12 - this happened after an update around october/november 2020 and I switched back to DX11.
    Has someone else had this problem? I think I'll give DX12 a chance again since I've got an RTX2060 but my CPU is 11 years old - currently running with 25-30 fps ...

23. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Yes, I also had this problem. It seemed to be related to FPS, where the higher the FPS, the more flickering would occur. Limiting FPS to 90 mitigated the problem. I wonder if the light flickering is a graphical glitch or if it is a symptom of some change to how TSW2 handles locomotive lighting.

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Thanks Callum B. - I'll try DX12 with FPS limitation and see if it's excruciating. I need higher FPS since I need to upscale 200% to not have the even more disturbing AA flickering

25. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Well the current machine I am running TSW2 on is custom built with an intel i9 9900 cpu running at 3.6 gHz, 32 GB on the board, GeoForce RTX 3070 with 8 mb GDDR6 on the board. I run TSW2 with no FPS limits and was getting, before changing to DX12, around 110 -120 on most routes. I made the change and only tested SWHS and noted over 200 fps with drops into the mid 100's. On DX11 I would drop into the 40 - 50 range at times. I will have to run more routes to see what I get overall, but initially I do see an improvement with DX12. Note: I am fully aware that running with unlimited fps does not make any difference as to what your eye perceives, but I am just curious as to how high the fps will go.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  26. DEXCON

DEXCON Member

Where can I find the ini file? :) thanks for your help!

27. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

The easiest way is to open your File Explorer and search for engine.ini. On my computer this search shows 3 locations just look for the one that has [SystemSettings] in it.

28. paul.pavlinovich

200-100fps? Ok its time to talk to the Minister of War and Finance to get a new card. Even though it seems somewhat wrong to pay for a card more than I paid for my first car all those years ago... lol. The rest of my machine is very similar to yours since its daytime job is photo and video processing :).

Paul

29. DEXCON

DEXCON Member

I am starting to get an issue. I love the edited settings, but my headlights start flashing for no reason at all. The time in game, the weather it doesn't matter. My headlights just start flasing really quickly. So I turned off the settings sadly enough. Anyone an idea how to fix this problem?

30. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem today and I closed the game and then started it again. Seems to be like a cache-related problem within the game engine.

Edit: Having that issue again and restarting the game doesnt work. Why cant DTG just support DX 12 or at least resolve elemental bugs like that?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  31. paul.pavlinovich

DX12 may come with the Unreal Engine upgrade later this year doublefine7 the version of the Unreal Engine within TSW2 sort of supports DX12. We can hope anyway.