Next British Route (speculation)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by UnlimitedMagic, Feb 15, 2021.

1. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Any ideas for the next British route to appear on the roadmap since it’s not there yet?

• Like Like x 2
  2. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

A steam era one would be the natural way forward now. But my vote (or better my wish) goes to Woodhead line as it has been one of my favourites since years. There you can have all (steam, diesel and early electric stock) in an amazing environment with rural stations and industries.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Steam won’t be ready for a long while yet.

• Like Like x 7
  4. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

I'll be happy if it's London Victoria-Brighton

• Like Like x 9
  5. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm slightly suprised there's been no news on this as yet, nothing on the roadmap. Surely they must be planning something by now, there must be something in works even if it's only knowledge gathering for the UK route?

• Like Like x 4
  6. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Steam will come eventually but not yet, unless they've been working on it longer than suggested and are downplaying to be a surprise. I'd like to see something either set in the Midlands involving Crew or Birmingham, Wales (Cardiff/Swansea) or Scotland (Fife Circle). Hopefully we'll see what they've got lined up soon once they appear on the roadmap.

• Like Like x 1
  7. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Sam said a few weeks ago (maybe a bit longer) that a couple of routes had been agreed and were waiting for them to decide the rest. So they may know the full list by now and are just waiting to put them on the revamped roadmap.

• Like Like x 3
  8. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I would harshly doubt that steam will come this year.

• Like Like x 3
  9. ShaneS89

ShaneS89 Active Member

I was thinking woodhead too. Its a steam era route that can be released before steam is finished, leaving it open to loco dlc/layers depending on how steam is launched.

• Like Like x 4
  10. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Personally, I hope it's something outside of London and the SE. 3 out of the last 4 British routes have all been set around this area (IOW could also count but idk)

• Like Like x 7
  11. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I think it will be ECML or WCML - only part of it, but hopefully something around the Birmingham New Street area. It would make a great hub so you could have both of these lines plus others going in and out of it.

• Like Like x 7
  12. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

Don't care as long as it's released when it's finished.

• Like Like x 9
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would love to see Woodhead, I love both TS1 versions and think the TSW could do justice to the scenery.

I suspect a Riviera route will arrive at some point, personally I would like to see it set in the 50's/60's or if not 70's or 80's, DTG could even include the class 101 as there were some knocking around the south west in the 70's, although a 118 would be better. I wouldn't mind a modern version either, I guess.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

I believe they know what they want to make and are just waiting for licences before they can be 100% sure it will be made. Don't quote me on that but I think it has been said (on stream?).

• Like Like x 1
  15. theorganist

I hope by licences that doesn't mean that the next few routes are going to be modern!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wolfovizer

Every route has licences even older routes and livery's, for example, Tees Valley use the BR logo on some trains which is owned by the UK government (link below), it's also the main reason we don't have named locomotives yet. So every chance it could be an older route.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-google&sxsrf=ALeKk00592YlfMhEzutPAk2OW6UUCNyWmg:1613394913268&ei=4XMqYML6D_TwxgPA0IjwBQ&q=who+owns+the+BR+logo&oq=who+owns+the+BR+logo&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAMyBAgjECdQAFgAYJ8_aABwAHgAgAGfAogBnwKSAQMyLTGYAQDAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  17. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Old British Routes are awful.
    I don’t like this Era

• Like Like x 10
  18. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

It would be great to see another historical route, preferably not another in the 80s. I think late 60s could be good seeing as anything earlier would be difficult untill steam is ready unless it's electrified.

I can't see the next being in the London or the South East as we've now had 4 routes from there, I also doubt it'll be a third rail route. I'm still sticking with my guess of a modern route in Scotland or Wales, possibly getting the first traditional route with overhead electrification so something like Edinburgh to Glasgow.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Wolfovizer

I'm hoping your right and all the third rail routes are in the south of England so I hope it's not another.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Each to their own but for me that era was when trains were trains, none of this plastic rubbish knocking around today.

• Like Like x 10
  21. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think that TSW 2 in its infancy lends itself to the Modern Era, due to the need and want to develop new tech for the game.

I do wish that DTG would look into diesel era British Traction a little more though, and give us some more older locos and DMU’s, and even early electrics.

That being said just because a modern route comes out, it doesn’t necessarily rule it out for having an alternate timetable for an older era, as we are seeing with GWR, where as, I suspect it would be much more work to make an older era route look modern.

• Like Like x 5
  22. Wolfovizer

As someone who grew up near modern DMUs, I have to agree that Loco-hauled trains and older DMUs are just better, I love having to move a locomotive to the other end of the train or the awkward controls. Just something we rarely have today.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Wolfovizer

Very good point :)

24. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Whatever it is, let’s hope they model it properly this time and don’t do it as a rush job *cough* SEHS *cough*

• Like Like x 10
  25. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think the reason SEHS scenery suffered so much was because of the differences in scenery IRL, DTG haven’t ever really been good at cities, then there’s HS1 and then Kent.

I suspect if we had just one of those backdrops as a route it would of looked a lot better.

• Like Like x 2
  26. theorganist

Maybe, but we had two BR blue routes for TSW.

I don't see why one section of enthusiasts should have to settle for less realism than others to be honest, DTG and others have produced historic routes a plenty in the past, especially in TS1, Riviera in the 50's, Woodhead x 2, Maerdy, Weardale/Teesdale and Stainmore so it is perfectly possible to research and build these.

Some modern routes work with older period stock, I have the North Wales coast in TS1 and using stock from 1995 on it, it sits fine on there as I don't think the route has changed much.

But, the GWML has changed so much since the 70's, not just cosmetically with station signage etc but it has OHEL, modern signals, TPWS, Heathrow Airport Junction, North Pole depot, you have to use a lot of "modellers licence" to convince yourself you are on the 1970's BR Western region.

And as DTG appear not to be bothered, according to the information out there (caveats apply) to make the correct DMU for the route when they can just include the unrealistic class 101, then I don't hold out much hope for this approach.

I wonder what it will be like when we get to steam, will we get a set of reskinned mark 1 coaches for a 1950's branch line in whatever livery for the region it is set in?

It appears to be a cynical nod to us fans of older periods!

I might start a new thread, which route do you think will come with the class 101 next!

• Like Like x 4
  27. UnlimitedMagic

It would be nice to see older routes set back in the day

We only have 2 atm so another one would be fine

• Like Like x 4
  28. theorganist

Exactly, but it seems we now have this halfway house approach!

• Like Like x 1
  29. matthew.miles1990

matthew.miles1990 New Member

Fort William to Mallaig would be perfect.

An hour an a half on services with a later add on pack incorporating steam on the Jacobite Summer special.

A 156 unit and 37 for freight work would please old and young alike....

• Like Like x 9
  30. UnlimitedMagic

Id also like to see what would have been the passenger loco then. The 166 wasn’t there at the time I think

31. UnlimitedMagic

I think this is why ECW was considered one of the best routes DTG had to offer. DTG seem to be better with a countryside landscape and ECW pretty much only had Brighton which had more buildings around it

• Like Like x 3
  32. theorganist

The 166 came in 1991/92. In my opinion that was the wrong choice, they should have included the class 165 as that was far more numerous and offered two and three car varieties. The class 166 was made up of only 21 units and that isn't enough to cover all the GWML services as I have seen the same unit number repeated.

It seems DTG have a blind spot when it comes to DMU's!

• Like Like x 3
  33. matthew.miles1990

matthew.miles1990 New Member

Too right!

Modern traction is mostly sterile with simplified controls so that they can pass out drivers quicker.

For those of us who have been lucky enough to be able to compare each peak or 40 were unique whereas Sheds and modern units are much of a muchness...

• Like Like x 2
  34. theorganist

I have the TS1 version which is very nice, the scenery would look great in TSW.

They have made a class 37, they might not make a class 156 as they could just reskin the class 101 ;)

• Like Like x 1
  35. UnlimitedMagic

ECD9702B-F9A1-4090-8BF1-1341C7C94E85.jpeg I’ve just been searching and I’ve found what appears to be a class 52 approaching Paddington

• Like Like x 3
  36. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I mean if you look back on TSW 1, the bulk of UK content was older stock, only GWE and ECW broke away from everything else UK based, all of the UK loco DLC was pre 1980’s stock.

TSW 2 has only seen Bakerloo & SEHS, Bakerloo of course using 72 stock, if you look at UK content objectively it is overwhelmingly older stock.

The issue at hand is that DTG are really bad at diversification when it comes to the representation of each country, Germany doesn’t see any older DLC in the same way that the UK hasn’t really had anything modern, I’m not saying that Bakerloo & WSR are old routes, but the experience they offer from the locos are of that era, if you want modern UK trains you’re options are really limited in terms of gameplay, where as all of the 70’s and 80’s DLC we have is actually fairly decent.

I’m not saying that we don’t need more older UK DLC, because I’d love to see things like the Woodhead Electric & a heritage take on the Riviera line, but the simple fact is that the gameplay experience of UK operation in TSW is largely vintage (and a lot of 101 action).

It really just comes down to the simple fact that the balance is always going to be off for the next few years, because we just don’t have the content levels in TSW currently.

• Like Like x 5
  37. theorganist

I would love to be able to recreate that. However compare it to a modern picture of Paddington with the modern signals and OHEL and see if you think it will look the same?!

• Like Like x 1
  38. theorganist

Yes I see what you are saying, this discussion was much had pre TSW2. You are correct, although I tend to look at when the route is set as opposed to what it contains, the WSR isn't a period route, it is a modern heritage route, certainly not a recreation of the line as it was before it closed in 1972. The GWE has older stock but it is pretty much what it was in 2015, but that is just splitting hairs I suppose. I enjoy the modern trains too, I am largely enjoying SEHS but I have a feeling we will swing towards a larger percentage of "modern" routes. I would love to see some older German routes, I was looking through and old Fleischmann model catalogue some time ago and thought it would be great to see some of these trains in TSW2.

I want to see variety for all and it will take time I know, but I am not convinced it will be evenly spread in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  39. UnlimitedMagic

I was thinking an Underground route. But I feel like it would be to soon for DTG to add another one

40. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Ooh, that somehow makes me want them to make more of them.

In that case a shorter route would probably be a good idea but they may want to continue improving their approach at longer routes which they will only do through using the new construction tools more. I’m wondering whether they have more high speed lines in the pipeline or if they will go for something more leisurely first and, with my above statement in mind, perhaps older too. I’m not bothered about era really, as long as it good. As I like to admire the scenery as much as drive the trains, I don’t want to see the kind of unfinished nature if SEHS in another route.

• Like Like x 5
  41. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

My most wanted batch of content for the UK is something between the 2 eras we have, we have old trains and new trains, but there’s a serious lack of things like class 91’s, 158’s, pacers, 92’s etc.

Im sure that British 90’s - early millennium routes would be a licensing nightmare but IMO that was one of the most exciting times in UK rail history, incredible half BR half private sector liveries, decrepit slamdoor stock running along side near new networkers in the SE region, Pendolinos that looked like space ships on wheels compared to their predecessors.

There’s so much of the UK rail industry to be covered because in my opinion, no other country has had quite the transition we’ve seen here, it’s so much more diversified than just 101’s and electrostars.

• Like Like x 9
  42. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I will only be tempted by a completely new UK route, one that has not been done before, preferably with no overhead wires.

Mike

43. theorganist

Yes I would agree with that, that was an interesting period.

• Like Like x 3
  44. theorganist

Well that's it then! Argument finished, nicely wrapped up there, no more awful old British routes.

• Like Like x 1
  45. UnlimitedMagic

London Waterloo - Reading maybe via Hounslow or via Richmond(or both). I don’t think it’s in TS.

• Like Like x 1
  46. theorganist

There is a freeware 1950's/1960's version which goes via Richmond to Windsor and Eton and as far as Surbiton and Hampton Court. It doesn't go to Reading.

It would be a nice line to see modelled.

47. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I'd quite like to see the GEML done.

Pre electrification or early era electrification when Class 47's hauled the passengers and 37's, 33's and 31's hauled the freight and then a little later done with a more modern look once they can get the Stadler and Bombardier licences for the new rolling stock sorted!

• Like Like x 2
  48. theorganist

The Central Wales line would be nice to see, I know it isn't heavy with traffic but it is a nice scenic route. I don't know what runs on it now but it used to be class 153's and before that the class 101 or the class 108 so an 80's version wouldn't need a new train made for it.

I suspect we will see the North Wales coast at some point too as it is an iconic route. It would be quite nice to see a class 175 in the game, they are quite interesting for a "modern" unit.

• Like Like x 1
  49. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

After Bakerloo, you really want another?!

• Like Like x 3
  50. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

Err think I may have said this once or twice Cornwall Mainline + a branch or two- pretty please :)

• Like Like x 3