Sehs Tunnel Lighting...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hightower, Feb 16, 2021.

1. hightower

hightower Guest

Seriously?

Come on now DTG. You simply HAVE to get a grip of the lighting in this game.

ps Would it have killed you to make the main brake gauge texture circular, or was that just too difficult too?

There was no time pressure here, all you had to do was get this right. What is going on?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Today's update fixed the tunnels.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Peco, stop defending them systematically.
    You're ridiculous

• Like Like x 22
  4. hightower

hightower Guest

Have you played it Anthony because unfortunately it didn’t. If anything they are worse than before.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 13
  5. JayTG123

JayTG123 Active Member

Ive only just posted about this on another thread... whilst I haven't driven the entire route since the update this evening, the lighting in Tunnel 1 between St Pancras & Stratford has definitely not been fixed. The first 25-45 seconds in the tunnel still appear to be very light and then all of a sudden goes dark when I am 3/4 of a mile into the tunnel.
    Anthony Pecoraro whilst we all welcome updates to routes and/or trains to which come with many patch notes. One of the main issues has still not been fixed / resolved so I am afraid to say you are incorrect.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Glazier

Glazier Member

Yes, problem with tunnels leaking light and inside cab lighting is still there unfortunately.

• Like Like x 3
  7. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Anyone else find that even though the two brake gauges are now illuminated you can't actually see the needles very well at all so they may as well not be illuminated?

• Like Like x 4
  8. WaveyDavey

No it hasn't. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  9. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I’m sure in one of the streams, they said may not be able to completely eradicate the lighting issue.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. hightower

hightower Guest

Then something is very, very wrong.

• Like Like x 7
  11. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I like how your absolute need to defend DTG continually results in you providing incorrect information.

• Like Like x 8
  12. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Bit like the 66 then with illuminated in the dark, you can just about see the needle going over the illuminated outline but that needs fixing as well really

• Like Like x 4
  13. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I can confirm the lighting issue is still there in tunnel 1. Not to mention you can't see the break needles when in the tunnel. Dtg always find a way to mess up. Like really

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. tallboy7648

DTG defender at it's finest.

• Like Like x 4
  15. JayTG123

JayTG123 Active Member

Matt just said in tonight’s stream that the tunnel issue is around 50% fixed!? And they are aware that the needle on the gauge doesn't light up/work... something they are going to look at. Matts words not mine.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Yeah that's just a joke.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Anthony Pecoraro

Why does everyone always focus on the negatives. I am aware that there are issues, but I like to focus on the positives.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

why should they be praised for adding gauge lights? or still broken lighting? should gauge lights not be a default feature of routes/new locos - or are they also not a priority anymore?

to answer your question though - because its 90% negatives, and theyve had coming up to 4 years to sort themselves out and they still make rookie errors. theyve ran out of excuses for some of their work. The one positive is always something not in game too - they got praise for developing steam.....then it will come out and itll be trash

• Like Like x 6
  19. hightower

hightower Guest

It’s a bit like going over the top at Passchendaele but remarking, just before you’re cut down by machine gun fire, what a lovely day it is.

A bit over dramatic maybe but sometimes things are just rubbish. This is one of those times.

• Like Like x 14
  20. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Because the tunnels ARE broken.

There is no positive there, except from the fact that the tunnel is there? Is that what we should be doing, congratulating DTG on putting a tunnel in its correct geographical location?

You didn’t need to be involved in this thread, you decided to incorrectly comment on it out of a desire to continually defend DTG, if you want to say nice things about them, you can, but this particular thread exists because the tunnels are broken.

• Like Like x 14
  21. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

DTG talk the talk, then when it comes to walking the walk they wear their pants on their head, stick pencils up their noses and pretend to have gone mad.

"we're not the problem, you lot are expecting to much of us, us the "professionals who lied to you from 2017 to 2020 and now expect you to forget about it"

• Like Like x 4
  22. JayTG123

JayTG123 Active Member

Trenomarcus whats a joke?
    Anthony Pecoraro I for one am not focusing on any negatives here... SEHS is my local line. I love the two trains and entire route that DTG have produced which must have taken some considerable amount the time to create and put together from scratch! But for you to say the lighting issue has been fixed is clearly misleading and also frustrating to read when we know full well it hasn’t been fixed. Matt said on YouTube that the lighting issue is 50% fixed so yes some issues have been fixed. This one clearly hasn’t been. It’s not about negativity it’s about pointing out the obvious errors. Not just on the basis we hope DTG see this thread and fix it, but we post these sorts issues on the forums but because we are all passionate about the game and only want the best possible outcome.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

This has been an issue since Railworks(TS Classic) days, some needles on DTG DLC illuminate better than others. It's very annoying to say the least.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Trenomarcus

The lighting in TSW. Has been since the beginning that is broken here and there, massively in other places or times (winter, night), now tunnels, gauges. In ECW the trains in Brighton just shine bright like they are little stars.

• Like Like x 5
  25. hightower

hightower Guest

The gauge is not illuminated. They whacked some rubbish texture over the top of the gauge to make it look like it’s illuminated, but illuminated it is not.

That’s why you can’t see the needle.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  26. JayTG123

JayTG123 Active Member

Ahh okay fair enough. Yes lol

• Like Like x 1
  27. OsamaBinLiftin

OsamaBinLiftin Active Member

Okay, everyone's talking about the tunnel lighting being off with the cab and train lighting, which is the biggest priority, but where are the lights every few meters on the sides of all the tunnels just like they did on SKA? It doesn't make sense that there aren't any safety lights on illumination in the tunnels whatsoever, since that isn't true to life at all.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

That is true to life, over no lighting. On the 3rd Rail system I work on, the tunnel lighting is emergency only when the power is turned off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

I've completed a run since the patch and tunnel lighting is improved along the route, but still isn't right along the whole length.

The cab still illuminates brightly when it shouldn't in some instances, particularly when entering the first tunnel when leaving St. Pancras. However, is certainly happens less that before the patch.

In addition, the rails are still reflecting light periodically through the tunnels as if a light source is present.

An improvement? Yes. Fixed? No.

• Like Like x 6
  30. WaveyDavey

I think he means in the HS tunnels.

• Like Like x 2
  31. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Your feedback and thoughts on updates is extremely valuable whether it be positive or critical. But I am seeing some unpleasant attitudes directed at one another in this thread.

If there are further comments where it is name calling or being unnecessarily antagonistic towards each other I will take further action in this thread.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  32. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

high speed tunnels still need work, but the rest should be done - if you're not seeing that, let me know.

Gauge lights have never been actually illuminated in TSW at all, that's just not how it works, it's done with different materials and textures - but the needles should have been textured to light up and i've raised that internally.

Matt.

• Like Like x 19
  33. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

This topic is primarily focusing on the negatives with SEHS, sure your point is valid but the issues with the tunnel lighting is important and needs to be addressed properly, just saying that "there was an update that fixed this" doesn't really help much.

• Like Like x 4
  34. WaveyDavey

Thanks for the update Matt. Sorry if this was covered in the stream earlier but would I be right in thinking then that the HS tunnel lighting issues are still being worked on with a view to them also being dealt with in an upcoming patch?

• Like Like x 1
  35. tallboy7648

The hs1 tunnels have lights in them like in real life and are modelled in the ts2021 version but not in the tsw2 version for some odd reason. Another inaccuracy of the hs1 section of the route

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. tallboy7648

I hope steam doesn't come out like trash but then again, that would not be a surprise

37. OsamaBinLiftin

OsamaBinLiftin Active Member

That's the spirit :D

• Like Like x 3
  38. Anthony Pecoraro

When I wrote that, I wasn't sure if he knew there was an update.

• Like Like x 2
  39. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

BTW on the subject of actual lighting in the tunnels - none of the cab rides i've got have shown lights lit up on any of the HS1 tunnels, they've been absolutely pitch black even taking headlights into account.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  40. hightower

hightower Guest

TrainSim-Matt,

Thanks for engaging, although doing so at 2am is way beyond the call! Given the frustration I/we feel with this route, I can only imagine what it’s like on your side of the fence. Please understand nothing (certainly that I write) here is personal - it is born out of frustration with the product, nothing more.

As always, the potential of the route & game is immense, but the delivery is all too often falling short, not of what I/we demand but of the level DTG have achieved in the past. When you look at the quality and level of detail in East Coast Way I’m sure you would agree that it’s not unreasonable to have expected things to have progressed even since then. What has happened to that care and attention, dare I even say love of the building process? That gauge light texture is a microcosm for SHES.

I’m looking forward to the 465 and hope to see these problems with the tunnels fixed ASAP. I really hope that something can be done about the many issues with the scenery that also exist.

Surely though, this difficulty with the tunnels and the many other associated lighting issues within the game would suggest it really is time to revisit the whole lighting methodology of TSW? As a fan of the game I’m pleading with the team to consider it.

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  41. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I know, it's more like a 50p piece, beyond sloppy, feels rushed (again) and screams of a "it'll do" attitude.

Just seen this on Alan Thompson Sim which someone has done. It's a before and after.

Is it really that difficult? Do you get embarrassed that people fix everything you can't, won't or just don't do it to a standard paying customers are happy with? Or is this what makes you cut corners and have a "that'll do" attitude, as it saves you doing it if someone else will I suppose..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  42. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

If you look carefully I think that the texture suffers some kind of optical illusion. The texture does actually follow a uniform curve (the roundness/geometry of the recess), but your eyes focus on the lighter, brighter areas where the vertices are easier to see with a higher contrast against the black background.
    upload_2021-2-17_1-41-6.png
    Not that this changes the point about the dial not illuminating properly, which I am glad has already been addressed by the modding community. I just found it curious.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  43. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

It might not be realistic, but if the brake gauge light texture was modded so there was more light towards the centre of the gauges wouldn't the unlit needle be visible? Sort of a black needle on a lit background. As it stands the lighting is only covering the outer areas.

• Like Like x 2
  44. hightower

hightower Guest

Unless you have the editor to bake the lighting (which I believe is the method TSW uses) then when you go into a tunnel it would still be dark. Sadly there’s nothing can be done about it.

• Like Like x 3
  45. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Don’t mean to hack this thread but I’ve made some temporary fixes to the gauges, as well as make them visually look better. The needle is something which needs looking at. Not sure if I can do anything to fix that.

Part of my main SEHS enhancement pack, which can be viewed here.

Before and after:
    91EFF60E-6C31-4D8E-999D-BE7C7CAD1DAC.jpeg 44412385-301D-47BA-83EC-A6F5D8119BE3.jpeg 907FC27E-B326-47F5-81A9-C3E0643768DC.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  46. tallboy7648

At this point, with all the enhancements you make for this game, you should be working for dtg lol since you seem to have passion for detail more than dtg itself it seems.

• Like Like x 4
  47. tallboy7648

They never explain the consistency problem that they seem to have and why that is. Them not being consistent for every route will only alienate some players even more. I do agree that maybe dtg should revisit the lighting methodology for this game. There is a clear problem with the lighting on this game and they really need to start fixing it. In my opinion, it should be a higher priority then it already is

• Like Like x 2
  48. Trenomarcus

Or they just have to release the editor so that some talented people can make a good version of the routes ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. hightower

hightower Guest

FWIW, the non-HS1 tunnels are not fixed.

All them have a blue flash go through the cab as you enter them. When entering the tunnel immediately after Chatham this effect lasts at least a second.

Additionally they are bright with light (fog?) until that slowly fades away once you are in the tunnel.

Why is this proving so difficult to fix?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  50. tallboy7648

Just imagine what people like londonmidland can do with an editor because it seems dtg can't do a good job of making consistent quality routes. I wouldn't be suprised if a third party would outperform dtg. Alot of these issues makes me feel dtg are being a bit lazy just to meet a deadline

• Like Like x 3