What Causes The Stutters? Graphs Contained.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Feb 20, 2021.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I was just playing LGV route today after Teeside line and what i'd noticed is all the micro stutters. It made me wonder what the performance graphs are doing.

I have the game running in DX12 and everything maxed out. You'd think initially " Well turn some stuff doing you silly oaf" However when looking at the charts you can the CPU is nowhere near full chat and the graphics cars having a leisurely stroll too.

I can see though my graphics card occasionally seems to dip down to inactive on the graph but this is the only game that it does it with.

My question is "Do I need to change something here or do DTG?"

Attached Files:

2. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

For me, DX12 causes massive stuttering because of tile loading, so I'd recommend turning that off. Note that this is not as extreme on other routes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Yes, all to do with DX12 and optimization. Doesn't matter if you run the game off an M.2 or SSD, the same stutter appears.

Many new games are heading over to Vulkan/Gen12 so DX will be a thing of the past! (and gaming on Linux will finally be a valid option)!

4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’ll give it a go and see if that cures it, thank you

5. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

There are two factors: fps target not being met and tile loading. For the lastest there´s no solution unless they change game to either pre-load more tiles in advance and keep them in memory or load them just at longer distances (with less details therefore) so that render workload is lower during the initial tile loading and the scene is then rendered more smoothly as you approach the new tile.

For the first you could try to set a fixed fps limit. If you use NVIDIA try this. For me this removed all microstuttering during normal gameplay and now I only have the tile loading one:

Anti-stuttering Trick: Force Game To Render At A Fixed Fps Target | Dovetail Games Forums

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  6. hightower

hightower Guest

FWIW, for me the stutters are route dependent (SEHS has virtually none) and are the same whether in DX11 or DX12. FPS far better in DX12.

3900x & 2080 ti.

Finally, I would always cap the FPS at some point, otherwise you computer is banging out the frames to no end. 60fps is more than enough.

7. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

This is something I’m still trying to get my head around!

I run DX12 + Texture Streaming = 0, but still get very minute stutters as mentioned.

What is the ideal solution?

I have a 144hz 27” Monitor ASUS TUF which is G-Sync Compatible but in game I have the FPS limited to 60FPS, with V-Sync on. My GPU is a RTX2080 Super so can handle all settings maxed out.

Going off your guide geloxo what is the ideal solution here?

8. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

I'm only getting stutters on HMA - I'm sure its where it loads in a tile with loads of yards, signals, OHLE and considerable AI. My other routes work fine with DX12 and Texture Streaming=0, fps locked and V-Sync . I'll stick to 3rd rail it runs smoothly and theres no knitting wires to get all jaggy through the rubbish AA.

9. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

If you have G-Sync you don´t need any fps cap. But you can still use the trick to reduce fps target to something below 60. That helps also as the target is lower and therefore also the workload. 60fps is the magic number but at 50fps you get almost the same visual smoothness but you reduce workload by 20%.

I run game DX12 + Texture Streaming = 0 as well plus I cap it at 48 fps cause I have a 144Hz monitor, so this is 1/3 of my native refresh and the workload is manageable in most situations for my system. That gives good results to me but as everyone I still have the tile loading at yards and big stations as the fps drop below 35fps so it´s impossible to my system to keep it at 48fps at those points. Once tile is loaded everything runs well on that area.

Cheers

10. Shaun123

Thanks, I can get a constant 60FPS on the game no matter where except a drop around Munich (understandable of course) I’m just wondering what I can push it to, as well as eliminating some stutters?

11. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I would say you are on the optimal configuration now then. Unfortunatelly the remaining stuttering is just a game limitation so far. At least I don´t know how to remove it completely.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shaun123

Thanks for your help geloxo for me this is one of the big bugbear of the game, making it look nicer (through .ini settings) and the through performance settings, getting the balance is difficult!

• Like Like x 1