Train Sim World 2 - Arosa Linie Announcement

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Feb 19, 2021.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Rivet games has stated that the wood wagon the only frieghtcar included,So could additional frieght wagons come with dlc loco add ons which is the way dtg like to add them,but rivet games would need to do this for this route.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Video from Rivet Game demonstrating the Guard Signal. The video shows the cab of the Ge 4/4 II and Arosa station.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 13
  3. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

The graphics looks really Bad from the Mountains and the back.

• Like Like x 10
  4. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Those mountains look.. bad.

• Like Like x 4
  5. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Well the upside of this signal demo is the fact that theres also a baggage car for the arosa line train,I hadn't seen this in any of the info on this route before now.Nice.

• Like Like x 4
  6. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

But I think this is still WIP and TSW certaily looks better with ultra-settings. I don't think these are the highest setting.

Also the rolling stock looks fab!

• Like Like x 5
  7. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

In fact I wouldn't expect the distant mountains to be anything else than washed green (except of winter) and be happy if it turns out otherwise.

Given the attention to detail Rivet seems to put in it they would surely be improved if this was a doable task.

This route clearly has its strenghts elsewere, being in the immediate surroundings of the line. The rolling stock, Chur and Arosa look stunning and we most likely have to live with the compromise that we should put our focus on the near instead of looking in the distance - a task that at least console players are used to anyway. ;)

And if we can enjoy better looking distant mountains in the release version - fine. I just would suggest to not get so focused on that.

• Like Like x 7
  8. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Hm. The train looks awesome and I like the fact that you have more interactive gameplay than usual. But I cannot lie, the buildings and decoration around the platform look very bland, and the green pile on the horizon does not help.
    You could go on about dev builds and what might change until release, but this is the bar that is set for me right now, and until I see otherwise, this will be what I expect to see.
    From the screenshots the other day I felt that everything looked way more lively, maybe due to the snow or maybe some work has been done on the pictures.
    Looking forward to see more and to be proven wrong, hopefully and unfortunately...

edit: Oh and pretty please tell me that the sound I hear is not the one from the class 483...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  9. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Don’t make a final opinion until you see the finished product. That video is very likely from a Work in progress build and is more to show off how the signaling will work and not other things. Although it certainly has me very excited!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

I bet that nothing will change in the "final" version, as always.

• Like Like x 12
  11. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

And they already got the ballast wrong. Not a total suprise

• Like Like x 6
  12. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I agree to an extent but at this point expecting more than what you have seen just has more potential of getting disappointed. This is why I wrote that this is my bar set now. I will gladly be proven wrong, I even hope to be, but I won't further any of my own expectations right now...

• Like Like x 3
  13. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

If this was a “Graphics preview” then I’d understand completely. What about that signaling though?

• Like Like x 2
  14. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

It's nice that they have a working guard button.

However, I really, really dislike the fact you have to close the doors against a red. If I did this at work then I'd be suspended from duty as this is a safety incident.

Please, please can you fix this Rivet. For me this is a major thing, more so than any graphic or sound issues, as with a simulation it's important that operationally things are correct.

• Like Like x 10
  15. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

oulala, it's not all that good!
    I really hope it's a dated wip because the mountains are not pretty at all and the sound reminds me a lot that of class 483 !!!

I am wrong, but given the (distant) decor of the Isle of White I fear the worst.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  16. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

Well...
    First of all: Have you seen the mountains shown in this video in the summer in real life? They are green, and grey.
    And by the way: On other routes like MSB we had smaller mountains/hills... They looked way different than these; I bet that they will change many things on the mountains till the release! So let’s just wait till we get the first winter video or informations, because the screen out of the depot was in winter, and the mountains looked way better there.
    Another thing: This orange box is as far as I know on every station, so it’s possible that we have to get off the train every time we stop. In real life, a conductor does that, but since we don’t have a conductor mode here, we might have to get active here ;)
    Third thing: The Allegra normally operates on this route, but in case of complete freight trains and passenger services a few years ago there were Ge4/4 II; but they also had a cab car sometimes; would love to see this one tho...

Cheers!

• Like Like x 4
  17. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

I sincerely hope that I won't have to get off the train at each station!
    What interests me is driving, not pushing a button at every stop!
    For the rolling stock I find it good, even if it is not really what we should have, it is still very good for me.
    on the other hand the mountains are terrible, I really hope that it will be much better when the DLC comes out, even on TS they are prettier!

• Like Like x 6
  18. Swisstrains

I guess (it’s illegal in real life) you might close your eyes an just imagine the second signal to be green hahaha
    But I don’t think rivet will let us hop of at every station; I bet they have a better solution for that!

• Like Like x 2
  19. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

All TSW Routes have the Same issues with Draw distance and loading textures.
    You See it on Main Spessart, Ruhr Sieg Nord or Peninsula Corridor pretty well How Bad the Game Looks Next to the Tracks

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

To me it looks like they tried to decorate the mountains, there are cleary a few trees and rock objects placed there. And it's not just a single grass texture either, you can see that they are hand painted with different textures.

So to me it's pretty obvious that it's the game's limitations and I don't believe Rivet could do anything with it. The game just renders distant things horribly. These mountains already look better than most distant hills from other TSW routes, but I'm afraid they may have simply not been able to do any better? No matter how many assets you place and how well you paint it with a great variety of ground textures, if the game engine ends up rendering it as a blurry mess anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

My, oh my, them mountains are way too immature to be put in the game! Hopefully this is still a WIP, and they’ll be able to improve the textures and graphics, but it’ll also depend on the hardware each player has, since the Xbox One S and standard ps4 don’t have the graphics processing prowess of a super buff and costly gaming PC setup.

• Like Like x 4
  22. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

So, taking what you say as true, I assume that cars in Switzerland fly without touching the ground. :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The Bugattis and Lamborghinis do. (Switzerland is a wealthy country)

• Like Like x 3
  24. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Those mountains don't look good

• Like Like x 1
  25. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Rivet are definitely getting their moneys worth out of those decade old TI 455 sounds...

• Like Like x 1
  26. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Indeed, I hope that button-pushing is an optional thing. I know people have been asking about a conductor mode, but I really prefer the driver mode.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Probably you can use the free camera, just as you can use it to couple or lower the BR363 automatic coupling. If you look at SEH there you may see phone post that allow to contact the signaller. This works very similar and may have been an experiment to see if DTG can get this working.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Before shouting a lot, do you realise that as far as I know this is the first time in TSW where you show mountains in the altitude well over 3000 meters. I have no idea how big a challenge it is to represent this properly in TSW2/Unreal Engine. It may well be a number of iterations are need to do this without loosing a lot of performance and reaching good quality at the same time. So we may wish it better but let's see what happens over time and be happy with what we get.A train climbing from round 500-600 meters to 1700 meters altitude is spectacular even if the distant mountains are not fully optimised.

• Like Like x 10
  29. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

I'm a bit worried about the graphics, however the train is really nice

• Like Like x 2
  30. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if anyone is aware but Google Street view has the full length of route captured by a train on the line. Comparing what we saw in Rivets video to real life, it leaves a lot to be desired. The clip is at the summit in Arosa, they've even left out a line with buffers between the main line and building.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

Those photos are from 2014 and as far as I know the Arosa station has seen some changes since then. What they've built is accurate

• Like Like x 3
  32. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

For sure those mountains are dreadful, but those platform textures - are they even trying? is that a joke?

Hornby models from the 1990s have better looking plastic platforms.

• Like Like x 4
  33. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Rivet confirmed here, that the route is set in 2015/2016, so it's neither the 2014 google street view route nor the 2021 version due to the pandemic thing

• Like Like x 1
  34. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Thanks for correcting me.

• Like Like x 1
  35. solicitr

Dev build. Its a ggod bet that the cunductor buzzer programmers are using an old basic landscape version while the landscape developers are polishing their end of things. The scenery and manmafe assets sre all much better in the stills they released

• Like Like x 1
  36. MegaSim

MegaSim Member

Just thinking out loud, could Rivet use the contact signaller on TSW to "press the button" to leave the station? I guess that could work in the same way as walking to that box on the platform?

• Like Like x 1
  37. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Could be. Contacting signaller is already used to convert signals at danger to danger with shunting. Although in this case, passing the signal without requesting permission would cause a SPAD and end the service.

I guess we'll have to see. Either way, having to leave the cab and press that button would be a big downside for me. I realize it's realistic, but please make it optional.

• Like Like x 3
  38. solicitr

Do RhB drivers actually have to do that in real life?

• Like Like x 1
  39. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

I notice that the excuse given is always: "this is the first time".
    Well yes it is the 1st faith, but at a time which does not explain everything MR.
    If you are satisfied so much the better, I'm not the type to cry, besides it's the 1st faith for me too, I have all the DLC on TSW1 and TSW2 so yes I'm happy.
    I add that on the "gravel" car game, the mountains and the shadows are magnificent, there is no shift and yet the map is very large, in short when it's ok but it's ugly, c it's not good, it's not optimized, the game is really bad.

Gravel is also on UE4 and they don't have bad graphics.
    I'm not the type to count rivets or missing little details but the graphics are not at all good.
    Sand Patch is much better and yet it is 3 years older !!!

I am aware that a functional "button" is so much more important than what you see most on a mountain road.
    Namely the mountains precisely, the button I don't care on the other hand the mountains and the graphics in general yes that matters to me enormously.

If the game engine doesn't support that sort of thing, maybe they should choose their routes based on what UE4 can and can't do instead of absolutely wanting to do routes that the UE4 engine can't handle.
    I prefer a well-made country road rather than a badly finished mountain road.
    I also think that I am not the only one to think that.

I'm not throwing the stone, I'll wait to see more, notably a live of the line but frankly we must admit that it is not a good omen

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  40. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

The textures of the buildings look horrible, I hope they improve it for launch because if this is on PC, I can't imagine how it will look on console.

• Like Like x 3
  41. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Well not to drive us off topic here, but since Rivet games is a third party dev, trying out how it is like developing a route for TSW 2 for the first time, the logical excuse for all the downsides of this route would be “this is our first time making a route, don’t expect so much.” Like u said, it doesn’t explain everything, like how much dev time is wasted on making a button system which we don’t wanna use or don’t look forward to using work instead of spending these valuable resources on things players actually care about, like the graphics on mountains, stations, and making sure road traffic functions well, not to mention making sure there aren’t hundreds of bugs in the route!

But this is one thing, not to drive us off topic here, but since this is pretty much the 2nd third party route in TSW, and IOW was, well, not a great route, then imagine what future routes from other devs might look like. We might be going back in time to now and when IOW came out for routes like Cane Creek or other future third party routes. Yes of course, there’s room for improvement, and routes made by rivet, and specifically rivet, might look better and function better as time goes on. But as more third parties are developing for TSW, hopefully they don’t make the same mistakes as DTG or rivet in making things that’ll probably be never used in gameplay instead of focusing on the more important aspects players actually care about.

• Like Like x 2
  42. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m not expecting anything amazing for distant scenery. This is TSW after all, and I play on a PS4. It’s not suddenly going to become flawless. What I do expect is a good train model that works well with good close scenery and good gameplay.

I might be prepared to make molehills out of mountains that don’t look that good, if the route is otherwise going to be enjoyable. In reality we haven’t seen enough yet to say what the scenery will be like. If it turns out Rivet can’t do Swiss scenery in TSW then they are in trouble, as that’s pretty much their bread and butter country for route building.

• Like Like x 4
  43. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

Well thank you.
    I think like you, I hope that the next third editors will not make the same mistakes.
    I bought all the Rivet DLC on TS, I love this team but yeah, on TSW2 it's not really good.
    They will certainly improve but they should listen more to the community just like DTG for that matter.
    A new function is always good to take, but if you leave out more important things then this new function is not going to be of much use.
    The absolute priority for everyone is better rendering, the shadows and the distant landscape are in top 1 for everyone and what about the sounds !!!!
    sound is of paramount importance in a simulation.

In short, the length does not bother me, as long as there is a lot to do on the road, the slightest piston that moves does not bother me as long as it does not block the resource of something else.
    But the graphics are the first thing you see, it's way more important than a brake pad that moves.
    We are in 2020, not 1990, everyone wants to have a game that is clean and beautiful.
    Out of all the polls done it is always a very important thing for the players to have a good game.
    The wagons that move realistically do not impress me or interest me more than that, when I drive I am in the cabin like all of us.

We'll see, I'm probably wrong a bit but when we show a preview of something we make sure to show the best under penalty of having this kind of com.
    The rush never brought anything good.

• Like Like x 2
  44. jiroo92

jiroo92 Member

I've been told that the conductor does that, not the driver.

• Like Like x 1
  45. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Do we have to do that every time we’re starting the train at each station ? The schedule is already hard on TSW on some routes so going out every time is a bit of waste of time

• Like Like x 1
  46. Swisstrains

well, I drove the route in the TS today... and most of the stations are “stop on request” so I think on one ride you might have to do it 3-4 times, maybe more, maybe less.
    But as someone mentioned above, I think rivet will have a solution for that.

Anyways, the roadmap is out!
    I bet I weren’t the only one to wonder as I saw that Arosa Line is still in production, were I?
    I guess that’s a good thing, cause with every workday the route should get better-but I’m wondering that the first videos and screens came out, even though the route is going to be in reproduction for at least two weeks.
    Let’s just wait and see what Rivet will do :D

• Like Like x 4
  47. Swisstrains

It’s me again!
    Just saw in the rivet forum, that Jasper will post a few background infos about the vehicles, informations about what will be included and another video; I’ll post a link here when I see something!

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

I never thought of that! With the street running section of the route IF Rivet Games have found a method of integrating road and rail DTG might want to look how they can do this at level crossings?

• Like Like x 3
  49. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

They’ve confirmed it but about road crossings I think it they will just drive on parallel of the tracks

• Like Like x 2
  50. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Since it’s still a way down the roadmap, I have hopes that the visuals will improve.
    The bones are there and as always it just needs the finishing touches. The final 20% of the visuals that take 80% of the time.

The road section has the capability to make or break this route. I don’t expect the cars to be individual Ai but I do expect an element of dis-order with cars and pedestrians crossing the tracks ahead and behind.
    If they just cruise along parallel making all the tram signals constantly clear then it would be disappointing.

• Like Like x 3