Swapping Out A Double Header...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Feb 22, 2021.

1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

There’s a mouthful!

There’s a scenario on JT SECML with double header 37s pulling freight, but I just can’t, they need replaced with the AP 37s.

But what do you do when swapping out a double header? One functioning 37 and one dead one?

Or how do you arrange two functioning AP37s in a double header: is there a multiple working option?

2. inversnecky

A bizarre thing with the loco numbers...

In the original JT scenario, both 37s have the same number!

20210222233811_1.jpg

I replace them in TS Tools with two difference AP variants, and still they have the same number (even though, of course, I tick the 'use a different number' option):

20210222234233_1.jpg

So I try one more time, swapping the second AP loco with yet another variant. Low and behold:

20210222234834_1.jpg

What on earth is going on? How do I change this? Just the old way of editing the scenario in TS itself? ETA - did just this:

20210223000021_1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  3. inversnecky

In TS Tools, I replaced the second 37 with a ‘live’ one, and in the scenario it seems to work fine, with exhaust from both as I open the throttle.

Multiple exhaust.jpg

I guess the scripting automatically makes double headers work correctly, with no multiplexing required!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  4. inversnecky

I treated myself to the AP TDA D wagon pack - I always prefer rust and grime to colour! - so nothing now left of the original train!

wagons 1.jpg wagons 2.jpg

5. inversnecky

One last issue: the second AP37 has a driver. How can I remove him?

I’m sure I’ve seen ‘no driver’ variants of other (AP?) locos/MUs, where you could add ‘nd’ in the scenario editor, or select a pre-existing ND variant, but the AP37 manual doesn’t reference this. I’d try it out, but forget the exact syntax to use.

Any tips?

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You could just pretend the MU Cable is defective
    When that happened or if the two locos were not compatible they provided two drivers

7. inversnecky

Previously, I moved between cabs, but when I look in from the outside, there is no other driver, so issue solved...or rather wasn’t really there in the first place.

8. Mack Winston

Mack Winston Active Member

Just go into the scenario editor, and swap out both locos with the two new ones, you don't need to do anything special (unless you want a specific number or specific features on the AP locos you're using as the replacement). Both locos will provide power. Only the leading locomotive will show a driver in the cab.

What I do is place the two new locos near the existing player train in the scenario editor, drag the instructions from the train to the new locos, delete the old locos off the train, then drag the new locos to the intended train making sure I hear the 'coupled' sound.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021